Double Switch & Horse with the flying Tail

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Double Switch & Horse with the flying Tail

Post by jrboy »

Both Double Switch & Horse with the flying Tail are now listed on the DMR website.

ImageImage
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

I'm always happy to see new titles to the Exclusives line, but I think this is the first time that the titles are completely unfarmilar to me. I'll look them up to learn more, but does anyone have any thoughts to share about these two...either background about them or opinions of them?
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

I remember "The Horse With the Flying Tail" as a theatrical featurette - - an Oscar-winning Best Documentary from 1960 -- also shown on TV and reissued theatrically, about jumping show horse. Nice Walt-era animal show, typical of the "Wonderful World of Color" TV hours.

Don't know the other TV film from 1987 Eisner era at all (nor am I curious).

At least they are still issuing DMC exclusives, but I wish someone down there doing the picking knew the Walt library (and film buff sentiments) better. These aren't the upper pantheon of more memorable and prominent unreleased titles (Prince and the Pauper, Light in the Forest, Horsemasters, Escapade in Florence, Sign of Zorro, Sammy the Way Our Seal, etc.) that should be getting DMC releases first (IMHO). I always worry they will stop before these other more major titles (and classic animated TV hours) come out.
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

omg? seriously?

Post by justcuttinhair »

what the hell? this is ridiculous, why would they even waste the time to manufacture these? they are not well known and def. not anything I am going to spend 19.95 for
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

You beat me to it, oh well. Double Switch was almost a MOD title. Interesting that it ends up a DMC release instead.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
bugsplat9999
Limited Issue

Post by bugsplat9999 »

I can't find either of these 2 titles. Is this for real?

Maybe some other links not in the US?

Chris
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

bugsplat9999 wrote:I can't find either of these 2 titles. Is this for real?

Maybe some other links not in the US?

Chris
They are not listed on the Disney Movie Club yet, but rather as up coming titles on the Disney Movie Rewards site. Expect them to be on the DMC really soon.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Papa Bear
Gold Classic Collection

Re: omg? seriously?

Post by Papa Bear »

justcuttinhair wrote:what the hell? this is ridiculous, why would they even waste the time to manufacture these? they are not well known and def. not anything I am going to spend 19.95 for
Just because they are not the titles you are wanting we should all just be glad they are still releasing the exclusives. I have never seen these nor heard of them but I will be getting them and I am sure they will be a good watch.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Re: omg? seriously?

Post by milojthatch »

Papa Bear wrote:
justcuttinhair wrote:what the hell? this is ridiculous, why would they even waste the time to manufacture these? they are not well known and def. not anything I am going to spend 19.95 for
Just because they are not the titles you are wanting we should all just be glad they are still releasing the exclusives. I have never seen these nor heard of them but I will be getting them and I am sure they will be a good watch.
I feel the need to point out once again also (as was already pointed out) that one of these titles is an Oscar winning documentary from the "Walt-era!" More title will come, they just might not be as fast as we want them. We just have to keep campaigning to remind Disney what we want and be patient. Not easy, I know, but worth it!

-Walt Disney
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

oh please!

Post by justcuttinhair »

well, sorry to have a difference of opinion..if they keep releasing sub-par releases like these...how do they expect to have sales figures to validate the need for more "exclusive" releases. These are not even two titles that fans have pressed or urged for release. Please understand that I not trying to be "Debby Downer" but, one of these has a running time length of 48 minutes and for 20.00 plus shipping and handling..that's a bit steep for a film that I personally am not going to go back to for repeat viewing. I am in total agreement and understanding about, "be glad that they are still releasing exclusives", but, it seems to me that they are releasing material that is either cheap to get the licensing for, or just randomly selecting stuff sitting on a shelf somewhere. There are at least 4 feature length films from the live action canon, that have yet to see a domestic release, and are more deserving I feel.
bugsplat9999
Limited Issue

Post by bugsplat9999 »

I'd like to point out that Disney movies (since 1937) and Disney TV (since 1954) has gone through several generations and each generation has its own appeal. I grew up with the MMClub and b&w episodes.. Movies such as "The Horse With The Flying Tail" were mainstays, mixing documentary, nature and some type of plot to tell a wholesome and appealing story. This is what Disney is known for. Nowadays, you see very little of this action on TV... sorry that this type of TV drama does not appeal to some. The movie did win an Academy Award as mentioned before. I think I see Disney trying to release an old along with a newer in this latest issue.

Personally, I am very glad to have this release and I hope they do more. I will gladly pay to see the old TV episodes again. And for certain, it is better than having to buy a bootleg or view a poorly recorded version on YouTube.

I am sure Disney heard the very same complaints from its viewers when the generations began to change and that is why the discontinued the Vault shows from the D-Channel.

I hope that all Disney fans can recognize the origins of Disney and enjoy those show/movies that made Disney the mainstay for children all over the world.

I am not starting a "flame" here, but I don't trash the newer Disney shows, even though they don't appeal to me. I hope that more shows such as the Horse WTFT will continue to be released so the older Disney freaks can spend some of their money to let their gr-kids and kids see what made Disney famous!!

Kudos to Disney... I am glad they did what they did!!

Respectfully,
Chris
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Well said, Chris.
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

jeez!

Post by justcuttinhair »

i was jut voicing my concern over the potential selling factor of these two particular titles....i do not think i have to impress upon anyone the dedication and appreciation i have for the classic "walt era" films. many times i have presented discussion on this board about several obscure and forgotten films( most notably the anthology series) and being one of the handful of advocates who voice concern or opinion when classic disney is so quickly forgotten. so..i do not agree with the implied notion that each generation has blatant disregard for prior works. i was merely pointing out, that in a "sales" stand point, i find that making these two films available before so many other IN DEMAND titles has been requested before...may not be in the best interest of getting more "exclusives" released. i have seen "the horse with the flying tail" and own a bootleg copy of it...is it a good documentary...yes....was it worthy of it's oscar win...yes...but, is it a better candidate for a legitimate dvd pressing whenever "The Horsemasters, Escapade in Florence, The Prince and the Pauper, The Light in the Forest, One of our Dinosaurs Is Missing..etc..are still not available? no..I'm sorry I dont think so. These are the films fans always!!!!! ask for whenever unreleased material from the "classic era" is discussed or polled. I'm not trying to discredit anyone's liking for the films .
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

^^

I realize that these are not titles that were asked for by the fans of either era they come from, but from the little I have heard and my gut feelings, I know that things are in the works for titles that we fans really do want to see the most. My worry is more in the line that people will give up before we make it to the top of the mountain. I personally take the mentality that we are on the path to greater things with each new release. Anyone here remeber the children's story, The Little Engine that Could? Or even the story of The Turtle and the Hare? Those stories need to be our mindset in all of this. Just a little more and sooner or later, we'll be at the summit and all be a lot happier.

Yes, via the DVD-on-Demand and DMC release, sometimes we get titles that are not as popular or that were not big titles back in the day. However, think how many major "Walt-era" title have been released via one of these routs (mostly DMC thus far) in the last few years. We now enjoy films like So Dear to My Heart or The Monkey's Uncle.

Really, I'm happy to see these titles and I was happy to see the release of titles for the "Generations Collection" a few weeks ago. Both mean that these lines are not dead, and that Disney is still releasing titles under these banners, and that is huge for all of us. It means there is still hope for other titles we may what to enjoy. We should worry more about the day they stop either or both of these lines, like what happened to the "Disney Treasures."

I'm not the type to give off false hope and I wouldn't waste my time if I didn't know we could pull this off. I think all the time the various hobbies and fun activities I have given up to run Open Vault Disney and get into the thicket of these issues of unreleased titles. I keep on however because I love the Disney brand (or at least it's former versions), and I can from my perspective, clearly see victories coming our way. We can do it! These titles, like the new ones here from the DMC, our also mini victories for some of us as well because it means more, quality family entertainment in the World to enjoy. I don't know about many other here, but the World needs a lot more of that.

My goal when is started out was just to finish a few collections I had started like "Swamp Fox" or "DuckTales." Now, it is nothing less then making sure every Disney films and show ever made gets release, or as dang well close to that as we can realistically get. When viewed that way, these new releases still meet that goal. The "A-list" titles waiting release will come in due time, we just have to wait and be diligent is campaigning efforts.

PS: Sorry all for the long tirade, my wife tells me I talk too much. I think she may be right, but I find I'm not the type to get points across in a few words. Oh well...sorry anyway.

-Walt Disney
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

bring it on

Post by justcuttinhair »

bring on the haters! lol! to each his own...i will be sure to keep my opinions to myself in future discussions
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

When I saw the initial post about these two titles, my initial reaction was one of curiosity. I hadn't heard of them, but I was intrigued to see something new to me from two of my favorite eras in Disney history, Classic Walt and the Disney Sunday Movies of the 80's. Of course there are the other titles others have mentioned that I'd love to see released too, but why should I be disappointed to see some potentially great old Disney movies that are new to me. Heck, anything Disney prior to the late 1970's was new to me when I first saw it, and I've enjoyed most everything for one reason or another.

Also, this is by far not the first time the Exclusives or Generations lines have brought us obscure titles. I've been happily introduced to many films this way in the past few years, especially tv episodes.
bugsplat9999
Limited Issue

Post by bugsplat9999 »

With all due respect justcutting.... You have a right to your opinions as do all. I wasn't slamming you, just trying to make the point that there is such a wide variety of films and large age span with Disney, that it will be impossible to satisfy all age groups.

I ahve felt for a long time that Disney has left its "main core" of old veterans who grew up watching the WWoD every sunday night... behind.. After the close of the Vault Disney episodes, when do you see anything from WWoD? I see that early Bonus material on Disney DVDs included that material, then abruptly stopped... I think whoever was behind it was either out-voted or passed away. So much of the DC new material is geared to the fast paced minds of our children. Cartoons are not as good quality-wise and seem to be made by the same artists that craft such legacies as "South Park" and those seen on the Qubo network. What we are seeing is a diminishing quality product and a slow & steady belief that we should hide the old material. When in actually, the old material is what made Disney famous!! Many distributors have found value in releasing the old TV episodes... (i.e. Twilight Zone, I Love Lucy, Seinfeld, etc)... So why not take a chance? Throw out old episodes in DVD on the WWoD Anthologies and see what happens? I mean how hard can it be to transfer the TV shows to DVD....

I think the royalty issue may be the problem.

So please keep voicing your opinion.!! It is valued!!

I hope Disney reads these posts and knows that there are many of us over-50 types who love the old stuff and would pay good money to see it again....! And if it doesn't work out, then put em back in the vault like you did with the Treasures and TLS stuff... At least we wouldn't have to spend money to people who recorded them on VHS and now sell them for new in smokey back rooms!!

God bless
Chris J.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Given that it has been 20 years since some of these titles were released on VHS (and even then not necessarily at sell-through pricing), we die-hards that are still waiting can hardly be labelled "impatient"... ; )
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

merlinjones wrote:Given that it has been 20 years since some of these titles were released on VHS (and even then not necessarily at sell-through pricing), we die-hards that are still waiting can hardly be labelled "impatient"... ; )
LOL! :D

I can't argue with that! :D

I hear you, I've been waiting a long time myself. Forget the past for a moment, look at the next two years. I think much will happen in that time period.

-Walt Disney
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

I don't see either title at DMR or DMC.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.