Pocahontas Blu-ray (2012)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:[...] Even Nostalgia Chick, who's constantly dissing Pocahontas in almost every singel Disney review of hers, thought the sequel was better than the original. Nostalgia Chick, could you please stop dissing Pocahontas? It's really annoying.
Could people please stop giving this 'Nostalgia Chick' person's opinions so much weight? "Even Nostalgia Chick"!!! :o Well, whoop-tee-doo! Really, who cares what a random person on the internet says? Even if she has her own website. I can make my own website and then air my opinions. Doesn't make them have any weight or importance.

This was not meant as an attack on you, DisneyFan, by the way. I would've said this to anyone mentioning the 'Nostalgia CHick'. And if you like her, that's fine, I'm not dissing that. Just that it seemed odd that you would say "could you please stop dissing Pocahontas" to Nostalgia Chick, because... really... why would you care what this random stranger thinks about Pocahontas? :)
Haha. You've right. Don't worry, I'm not offended by your post. I wasn't trying to give her opinions any weight. Like you're saying, she's only a random person on the Internet. I was just mentioning the fact that she liked the sequel more and that's she's constantly dissing the movie in her Disney reviews. I don't care if she dislikes Pocahontas, but what I find annoying, is that she's constantly repeating her opinion about the movie. That is annoying.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Ivan wrote:
milojthatch wrote: I am, what about it?
I'm just curious if anyone complaining about Pocahontas ending up with John Rolfe in the sequel understood that that's exactly what happened in real life (although under slightly less audience friendly terms).
that doesn't matter (and yes, we all get that). nearly none of the Disney movies are true to the original. there is a reason they are called adaptations.

Imagine that in TLM 2, Eric abandoned Ariel for another woman and Ariel committed suicide. it would be closer to the original story, but it would ruin the feeling of the first movie.
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

Lnds500 wrote:
Ivan wrote: I'm just curious if anyone complaining about Pocahontas ending up with John Rolfe in the sequel understood that that's exactly what happened in real life (although under slightly less audience friendly terms).
that doesn't matter (and yes, we all get that). nearly none of the Disney movies are true to the original. there is a reason they are called adaptations.

Imagine that in TLM 2, Eric abandoned Ariel for another woman and Ariel committed suicide. it would be closer to the original story, but it would ruin the feeling of the first movie.
Sorry,but the Little Meremaid isn't based on history.However,I know they took big liberties with Pocahontas but like I think the historians would have roasted them if they let Pocahontas and John Smith stay together.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Lnds500 wrote:that doesn't matter (and yes, we all get that). nearly none of the Disney movies are true to the original. there is a reason they are called adaptations.

Oh no, it doesn't matter, I just felt it was a valid question and was merely out of curiosity. The tone of your reply is as if you think I was questioning your intelligence on the matter, which wasn't the case (and I'm really sorry if that's the impression I gave). I was just curious if any of the people saying "after everything with John Smith in the first film, how dare they end up making her get with John Rolfe!" were aware that that's exactly how it really happened, even if it didn't happen exactly how it was portrayed.... I just know there's a lot of people that don't really care about whether things are based on history or not (not saying that about anyone here), which is why I asked, that's all :)
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Pocahontas
The Little Mermaid
Hercules (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Hunchback of Notre-Dame

are all heavily altered adaptations. If you want accuracy, read the original or watch the documentary. If Hercules was true to the original, you're looking at an R rated film which would end with a naked man ripping his skin apart and jumping into the fire...
not very Disney-ish xD

we all know that historical accuracy was just (if used) an excuse to milk the first movie
jazzflower92 wrote: Sorry,but the Little Meremaid isn't based on history.However,I know they took big liberties with Pocahontas but like I think the historians would have roasted them if they let Pocahontas and John Smith stay together.
and that's the reason I did not put the word history in there ;)

if Disney heard the historians/literature critics' opinions they wouldn't have created half of their movies.
Ivan wrote: Oh no, it doesn't matter, I just felt it was a valid question and was merely out of curiosity. The tone of your reply is as if you think I was questioning your intelligence on the matter, which wasn't the case (and I'm really sorry if that's the impression I gave). I was just curious if any of the people saying "after everything with John Smith in the first film, how dare they end up making her get with John Rolfe!" were aware that that's exactly how it really happened, even if it didn't happen exactly how it was portrayed.... I just know there's a lot of people that don't really care about whether things are based on history or not (not saying that about anyone here), which is why I asked, that's all :)
:? I wasn't offended at all actually. :) sorry if i made you feel akward
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Ivan wrote:I'm just curious if anyone complaining about Pocahontas ending up with John Rolfe in the sequel understood that that's exactly what happened in real life (although under slightly less audience friendly terms).
Yes, I think most of us are aware of that. But, the supposed romance between Pocahontas and John Smith has been known and told for a very long time, long before Disney came with its own version. It's a fantastic story which appeals to audiences. Following the real story probably wouldn't have made for an exciting film. Besides, historical accuracy went out the window the moment they decided not to make Pocahontas a 12 year old, which she was when the settlers arrived. The original movie was not about telling the true story of Pocahontas; it was a dramatization with a message of its own. The relationship between her and Smith is the most mature Disney ever did and therefore it's a shame they wrecked it in the sequel --which was made for quick bucks, not because Disney suddenly wanted to be historically accurate.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

May 9 Pocahontas comes out in Blu Ray in Spain...both single and in a pack release.

http://www.mubis.es/noticias/tarzan-poc ... en-blu-ray
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Goliath wrote:
Ivan wrote:I'm just curious if anyone complaining about Pocahontas ending up with John Rolfe in the sequel understood that that's exactly what happened in real life (although under slightly less audience friendly terms).
Yes, I think most of us are aware of that. But, the supposed romance between Pocahontas and John Smith has been known and told for a very long time, long before Disney came with its own version. It's a fantastic story which appeals to audiences. Following the real story probably wouldn't have made for an exciting film. Besides, historical accuracy went out the window the moment they decided not to make Pocahontas a 12 year old, which she was when the settlers arrived. The original movie was not about telling the true story of Pocahontas; it was a dramatization with a message of its own. The relationship between her and Smith is the most mature Disney ever did and therefore it's a shame they wrecked it in the sequel --which was made for quick bucks, not because Disney suddenly wanted to be historically accurate.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
Who said they couldn't have made it for both reasons? Or that both reasons were driving forces in the making of the sequel?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Brazil has announced that their previous plans to release Pocahontas and its sequel on Blu-ray seperately have been scrapped. The movies will now be released on Blu-ray only as a "2 Movie Collection". However, the movies will still be released seperately on DVD.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Sotiris wrote:Disney Brazil has announced that their previous plans to release Pocahontas and its sequel on Blu-ray seperately have been scrapped. The movies will now be released on Blu-ray only as a "2 Movie Collection". However, the movies will still be released seperately on DVD.
Double ouch... let's see if the rest of the world will follow :/
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

Terrible news! Hopefully, they will get separate releases elsewhere. At least ONE country should, right? I understand the U.K. is getting separate releases for the Fox and the Hound films? Maybe all hope isn't lost.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, even if the sequel's packaged with the original, I'll be getting both regardless. As for the matter of The Fox and the Hound, I never thought the sequel was terrible, just not as great as the original.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Well, as mentioned before in Spain Pocahontas and The Fox and the Hound will be sold separately. 8)
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

as well as in Germany and Greece. :)
iconda

Post by iconda »

Sotiris wrote:Disney Brazil has announced that their previous plans to release Pocahontas and its sequel on Blu-ray seperately have been scrapped. The movies will now be released on Blu-ray only as a "2 Movie Collection". However, the movies will still be released seperately on DVD.
we knew it a month ago

http://planetadisney.com.br/pocahontas- ... o-animado/

in Brazil they also have "2 movie collection" for Fantasia/2000 and TFatH 1/2
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

iconda wrote:
we knew it a month ago

http://planetadisney.com.br/pocahontas- ... o-animado/

in Brazil they also have "2 movie collection" for Fantasia/2000 and TFatH 1/2
have you posted it somewhere? if not, then you knew it, we didn't and Sotiris' post was very helpful from that perspective. Plus, the site you're referring to, while it says the movie will be released in a 2-Movie Collection, it does not say that the individual releases have been scrapped. DisneyMania was much clearer on that point
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yf4LgjW8ynU?rel=0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Alphapanchito
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alphapanchito »

^ Thanks for posting that. It's breathtaking. I wasn't planning on updating my Pocahontas DVD to bluray, but I just might have to now.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Hi-res version of the Australian Pocahontas cover art.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

High Resolution pictures for ALL aussie Disney releases post DMR, including 6 future releases, are available @ the DMR eligible movies page. Simply open the thumbnail image in a new window and delete the line "thumbnail-small" in the URL.

You can do this at any DMR webpage.

The pocahontas one has been available since Feb 1st, as you can see there are a few edits (JOURNEY TO THE NEW WORLD has been given a new font, there is more picture at the bottom, revealing a skimpy loin cloth and the fact they didn't draw the whole of P's body).