DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:50 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:05 pm
Posts: 380
Location: Quebec, Canada
Hello! :)

I'm going in the UK in two weeks and I would like to buy a few Disney DVDs while I'll be there.

I looked at the UD list of the DVDs that are only available outside the US/Canada but I would like to know which one YOU would recommend me to buy.

Maybe special editions, amazing covert art DVDs, great bonus features, whatever you like!

Tell me which one is your favorite UK release!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:37 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:44 am
Posts: 654
Location: Denmark
I would buy the 2-disc SE of Lilo & Stitch as who knows how long before its released in the US...

As for coverart, the UK covers are not especially pretty or special except from BatB CE, Atlantis CE, Snow White CE box, Emperors NG CE and Sleeping B CE... But they are all OOP now...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:02 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:00 pm
Posts: 9416
Location: UK
Hi Anne.

You have to remember that UK DVDs are not just a different region code, but also based on a different broadcast system. This means you probably won't be able to play any UK discs on your sytem, even if you can make your player multi-region, as you also need to be able to convert from PAL to NTSC or have a display that can display PAL signals.

If you are viewing your discs on a computer, then you just have to worry about the region code, because computers don't use a broadcast system and DVD player software is programmed to display both.

_________________
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:49 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 11:05 pm
Posts: 380
Location: Quebec, Canada
Thanks for your answers!

And yes, I use a computer to watch DVDs from the UK. I already tried with a DVD from the UK that my boyfriend has and it worked!

I prefer to watch movies with my DVD player but I make an effort to watch them on my computer when I watch non region 1 DVDs ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:56 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:29 am
Posts: 4668
Location: The place where they didn't build EuroDisney
Well it really depends what you're into.

If you're one of those who only sticks to animation, like has been mentioned most of the fancy packaged releases are now out of print. The only animated classics that really stand out over the R1 counterparts woule be the Lilo and Stitch: 2 Disc Special Edition and Melody Time since the R1 has been edited whereas the UK version is complete.

Also the Tarzan: 2 Disc Special Edition is still in print here, so if you haven't got that, that may be something.

Then there's also the live action / animation hybrid So Dear to my Heart which has still to be released at all in R1.

As for live action titles if that's your thing, there's a few titles which haven't been released in R1 yet and some which have better picture quality, anamorphic widescreen transfers as opposed to the full screen R1 versions, these include:

The Incredible Journey
The Moon Spinners
Blackbeard's Ghost
Big Red
The Country Bears
Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
Kidnapped
One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing

Also if you're missing some of the Treasures, still in print in the UK are:

Mickey Mouse in Living Color
Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol 2
Silly Symphonies
The Chronological Donald Vol 1

Although in all honesty I will warn you now, despite the fact these titles are still in print and readilly available the chances of finding them in stores will be remote. And if you do, they will probably be at their full SRPs. To be honest it would probably be a lot cheaper (even with shipping to Canada) to buy them from an online retailer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:31 am 
Offline
Gold Collection

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:49 am
Posts: 57
ichabod wrote:

As for live action titles if that's your thing, there's a few titles which haven't been released in R1 yet and some which have better picture quality, anamorphic widescreen transfers as opposed to the full screen R1 versions, these include:

The Incredible Journey
The Moon Spinners
Blackbeard's Ghost
Big Red
The Country Bears
Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
Kidnapped
One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing



To this list I can add:

That Darn Cat

I just bought it and it has anamorphic widescreen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:37 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:29 am
Posts: 4668
Location: The place where they didn't build EuroDisney
mvd24 wrote:
To this list I can add:

That Darn Cat

I just bought it and it has anamorphic widescreen.


Ah yes, there are probably some more I've forgotten too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:56 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:49 am
Posts: 57
I now could use some help myself, as I am planning to buy some more Disney live action films and I trying to decide whether to get them from the UK or from the states.

Follow me boys
I understood the transfer and framing are better than the R1 release.
But I suppose the UK release lacks the gallery and featurette?

The ugly dachshund
I see it's anamorphic widescreen in both releases. Is it the same transfer? Or is one better than the other?
Again I suppose the UK release is without the bonus features like the theatrical trailer?

The Misadventures of Merlin Jones
Same question. Both full screen, but is there a difference in picture quality/framing?
Does the UK release contain the bonusfeatures from R1?

Son of Flubber
Is the UK version in black and white? Same transfer/framing?
Does the UK have the gallery?

These were my questions so far. I hope somebody can help me out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:11 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:29 am
Posts: 4668
Location: The place where they didn't build EuroDisney
mvd24 wrote:
I now could use some help myself, as I am planning to buy some more Disney live action films and I trying to decide whether to get them from the UK or from the states.

Follow me boys
I understood the transfer and framing are better than the R1 release.
But I suppose the UK release lacks the gallery and featurette?


The UK version has better framing and colours, but no bonus features. So it depends what matters most to you. See <a href="http://www.ultimatedisney.com//forum/viewtopic.php?p=249591&highlight=follow+boys#249591">here</a> for comparisons

Quote:
The ugly dachshund
I see it's anamorphic widescreen in both releases. Is it the same transfer? Or is one better than the other?
Again I suppose the UK release is without the bonus features like the theatrical trailer?


Both are anamorphic, but no bonus features on the UK. I'd go for the R1 version.

Quote:
The Misadventures of Merlin Jones
Same question. Both full screen, but is there a difference in picture quality/framing?
Does the UK release contain the bonusfeatures from R1?


Exact same framing on both, but no bonus features on the UK version. Although in all honesty the only thing of interest on the bonus features are 10 still frames, so by a tiny margin I'd go for the R1.

Quote:
Son of Flubber
Is the UK version in black and white? Same transfer/framing?
Does the UK have the gallery?


Both have the most awful pan and scan, in fact I don't think saying that is even correct. Half the time the camera neither pans or scans and stuff happens out of the frame. The R1 is B+W, the UK colorised. Quite frankly I wouldn't bother with either.

Another thing to consider is cost. I mean take Misadventures for example. You can get the UK version for about £4/5. Whereas importing a R1 would be at least double that. It depends on whether you'd consider 10 frames of lobby cards worth it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:52 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection

Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:49 am
Posts: 57
Thanks Ichabod. You are a great help!
It is much clearer to me now what the exact contents of these dvd's are.

Usually I go for bonusfeatures, but it's true that a gallery of 10 lobbycards might not be worth the difference in price.

Ugly Dachshund is clear. I'll will surely get that from the US.

Follow me boys is more difficult. I will have to think about that. Are the bonus features any good?

I would prefer Son of Flubber in black & white (as it was intended, I suppose) But hearing about the bad pan&scan job I think I will postpone this purchase for a while, as I still have other movies to get. Maybe we 'll get a better release someday.

How is framing/transfer on "In search for the castaways" and "Greyfriars Bobby" (UK releases) Exactly the same as in R1?
These don't have bonus features so that makes the choice easier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:11 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:29 am
Posts: 4668
Location: The place where they didn't build EuroDisney
Well I think the UK releases of 'Greyfriars Bobby' and 'In Search of the Castaways' will satisfy. There are no bonus features on either the Uk or R1 DVDs, but the UK DVDs seem to have a smidge more picture.

In Search of the Castaways
R1
Image

UK
Image

Greyfriars Bobby
R1
Image

UK
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:23 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:34 am
Posts: 2222
ichabod wrote:
Well it really depends what you're into.

If you're one of those who only sticks to animation, like has been mentioned most of the fancy packaged releases are now out of print. The only animated classics that really stand out over the R1 counterparts woule be the Lilo and Stitch: 2 Disc Special Edition and Melody Time since the R1 has been edited whereas the UK version is complete.

Also the Tarzan: 2 Disc Special Edition is still in print here, so if you haven't got that, that may be something.

Then there's also the live action / animation hybrid So Dear to my Heart which has still to be released at all in R1.

As for live action titles if that's your thing, there's a few titles which haven't been released in R1 yet and some which have better picture quality, anamorphic widescreen transfers as opposed to the full screen R1 versions, these include:

The Incredible Journey
The Moon Spinners
Blackbeard's Ghost
Big Red
The Country Bears
Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
Kidnapped
One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing

Also if you're missing some of the Treasures, still in print in the UK are:

Mickey Mouse in Living Color
Mickey Mouse in Living Color Vol 2
Silly Symphonies
The Chronological Donald Vol 1

Although in all honesty I will warn you now, despite the fact these titles are still in print and readilly available the chances of finding them in stores will be remote. And if you do, they will probably be at their full SRPs. To be honest it would probably be a lot cheaper (even with shipping to Canada) to buy them from an online retailer.


Is that "The Incredible Journey" the original or the re-make? Is "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey" widescreen for the R2 release?

_________________
____________________________________________________________
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group