DISNEY GENERATIONS DVD: NEW LINE

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I'm sorry it took so long, but here is Open Vault Disney's first review of a Generations Collection release. This one for the film "Student Exchange."

http://openvaultdisney.wordpress.com/20 ... ge-review/
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Child of Glass is currently on sale for $15.99 on Amazon.com. Hopefully this means that the other Generations Collection titles will be on sale at some time also. It think this is a more reasonable price point.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

gardener14 wrote:Child of Glass is currently on sale for $15.99 on Amazon.com. Hopefully this means that the other Generations Collection titles will be on sale at some time also. It think this is a more reasonable price point.
I'm seeing $17.99 right now, which is a price each of these titles have gone down to from time to time, but I believe you. As these titles get older and we get more, I would not be surprised to see them drop a bit. It would make my day!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Yes, it is currently $17.99, but all day yesterday it was showing up as $15.99. Yesterday, and currently today, the other Generations titles remain $19.99.

I've noticed these titles frequently switch between $17.99 and $19.99, but yesterday was the first time I saw them offered for $15.99. I hope that they more frequently come down to that price.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

gardener14 wrote:Yes, it is currently $17.99, but all day yesterday it was showing up as $15.99. Yesterday, and currently today, the other Generations titles remain $19.99.

I've noticed these titles frequently switch between $17.99 and $19.99, but yesterday was the first time I saw them offered for $15.99. I hope that they more frequently come down to that price.
I have a special wishlist set up just with these films so that I can monitor their price, but I'm not able to look every second of everyday, so something can get past me, like that $15.99 price. That is the lowest any of these films have been. I really hope that bodes well for the future, it would be an easier sell I think for some at $15.99 each for these titles.

-Walt Disney
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I was finally able to watch The Waltz King today becuase of the new DVD and the movie (or two TV episodes) itself I enjoyed alot. I enjoyed the first half more becuase of the clearer obstacle (the father) to overcome, but the seond half also offered some well done musical numbers.

Unfortunately, the quality of the DVD was as expected disapointing. It's obviously an old VHS master with the colours all washed out and constant scratches and marks affecting the look of the picture. With all the lovely costumes and sets on display this movie deserves a better quality transfer to really make those production elements shine.

The only other Generations title I'd want to own as of now is Child of Glass, but I'll probably get that closer to Halloween. I'd like to see more effort put into these titles, or if not a reduction in the price. As of now, the value is very low given what they offer.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

The Open Vault Disney review for "The Walt King" is up:

http://openvaultdisney.wordpress.com/20 ... ng-review/

-Walt Disney
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

I just got the new mailing from Disney Movie Club, and they are offering the Disney Generations Collection dvds for $19.99. With the club's various discounts, this could be a better price than ordering from Amazon for many people.

Oddly, both in the printed catalog and online, they are only offering the first four titles in the line, Goldrush, Student Exchange, Amy, and Fuzzbucket. The Waltz King and Child of Glass are not available through the club, but they could be added later....or not. After all, DisneyNature's African Cats still isn't available through the club and that has been out for a few months now.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

gardener14 wrote:I just got the new mailing from Disney Movie Club, and they are offering the Disney Generations Collection dvds for $19.99. With the club's various discounts, this could be a better price than ordering from Amazon for many people.

Oddly, both in the printed catalog and online, they are only offering the first four titles in the line, Goldrush, Student Exchange, Amy, and Fuzzbucket. The Waltz King and Child of Glass are not available through the club, but they could be added later....or not. After all, DisneyNature's African Cats still isn't available through the club and that has been out for a few months now.
Did they really? My last DMC mailer didn't say an thing about it and my understanding was these titles were only being sold via Amazon. I thank you for writing about this, I'll have to look into it. If the DMC really is selling these titles and if the DMC discounts really do apply, that could be good to note.

-Walt Disney
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

Yes, milojthatch, what I said is for real, at least in my mailer and my online account. I just assumed that means it's the same for every club member. And, yes, the club discounts apply.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

gardener14 wrote:Yes, milojthatch, what I said is for real, at least in my mailer and my online account. I just assumed that means it's the same for every club member. And, yes, the club discounts apply.
In my experience, I'm finding that the DMC seems to have different mailers out at once.

Anyway, without talking to my contact, I checked it out and you would be right, they are selling the first four GC titles on the DMC. I image this would mean the last two and future release will end up this way as well. I think this is actually a very good thing, impart becuase with the various deals the DMC has, this makes it the least expensive way to pick these titles up, but also, it means that they are not going to just rely on Amazon to sell their movies.

Thanks for the heads up, this will be posted on the OVD site.

-Walt Disney
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Open Vault Disney is proud to announce the new additions:

http://openvaultdisney.wordpress.com/20 ... ollection/

And least we forget, the first non-Generations Collection film on Disney DVD-on-Demand:

http://openvaultdisney.wordpress.com/20 ... on-demand/

-Walt Disney
msh1975
Gold Classic Collection

Post by msh1975 »

well its about damn time disney is bringing out more than just 2 titles at a time. thanks for the great news. i sure hope we get more generations titles at a much faster pace now..........BRING IT ON DISNEY!! i got my credit card ready to go 8)
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by justcuttinhair »

THANK YOU OPEN VAULT DISNEY!!! I AM SURE THAT THIS 7!!! RELEASES ARE DUE TO YOUR EFFORTS....I HAVE ALREADY ORDERED JUSTIN MORGAN
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

A little concerned though!
Is there anyone who knows about the "lifespan" of these DVD-Rs?
I mean, things that you put on a DVD-R normally only last for around ten years!
Are these films/discs going to slowly erase itself over time?
Don´t want to pick them out of their cases after ten years and discover that they are not playable anymore!
Is there anyone else here who thought about this?
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Re: YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by milojthatch »

justcuttinhair wrote:THANK YOU OPEN VAULT DISNEY!!! I AM SURE THAT THIS 7!!! RELEASES ARE DUE TO YOUR EFFORTS....I HAVE ALREADY ORDERED JUSTIN MORGAN
I don't know that these particular titles were because of us, but then again we could have impacted them some. I have not been officially told one way or the other this time. That said, I do know that we are starting to have an impact over at Disney Home Entertainment. They know who we are and what we want. And if enough Disney fans join our efforts and help us out with out letter writing events, like the one we have tomorrow, you will start to see title released from Disney that there will be no question it was because of OVD they got released.

Thanks guys!
Last edited by milojthatch on Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Walt Disney
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Chernabog wrote:A little concerned though!
I heard if properly stored, they can last for a good 30+ years.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

I do hope they consider releasing the remaining higher profile Walt titles (Light in the Forest, Sign of Zorro, Prince and the Pauper, The Horsemasters, Escape in Florence, Sammy the Way Out Seal, Ludwig VonDrake, etc., etc.) as pressed DMC Exclusives if not retail.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

For what it is worth, I think this may be my favorite wave of "Generations Collection" titles released. I remember watching "Return to Hannibal" as a kid and enjoyed it, I'm excited to finally see the third "Witch Mountain" film and am happy that that Disney series is finally fully complete on DVD, I remember seeing "Endurance" when I was younger and liked it, and the other two titles I have heard good things about. I've enjoyed things I've seen John Denver act in in the past, so I have a good feelings about "The Leftovers."

I personally feel like with each new wave, Disney Home Entertainment is starting to get their footing on these release and I suspect future waves will be even more spectacular then even this one! I'm excited to see these new titles.

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:
Chernabog wrote:A little concerned though!
I heard if properly stored, they can last for a good 30+ years.
I have heard that as well.

merlinjones wrote:I do hope they consider releasing the remaining higher profile Walt titles (Light in the Forest, Sign of Zorro, Prince and the Pauper, The Horsemasters, Escape in Florence, Sammy the Way Out Seal, Ludwig VonDrake, etc., etc.) as pressed DMC Exclusives if not retail.
I suspect "Light in the Forest" will get a retail release sooner or later. This based on pure logic, but both it and "Justin Morgan" were originally released as Disney Education titles and now "Justin Morgan" has been released. I'd have a hard time believing the other won't end up as well. Will it be DMC or MOD? Hard to say, but I feel good about it.

Just please help out with our letter writing event and let Disney know what you want to see released. I want to see more "Walt-era" titles and feel we have a great chance to do just that before this year is done. Keep in mind, we have 11 months to go still, so who can say what other great releases are yet to come?

-Walt Disney
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

theatrical films not yet released

Post by justcuttinhair »

so...as of now..what official live action films have not been released? I think that "One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing", and "Light in the Forest"? correct? these may be the next DMC titles we see released. I know that "Sign of Zorro" was released as a theatrical release, assembled from various episodes of the tv show, but, is it considered part of the official canon? same thing with the John Slaughter films and Elfego Baca..which were also assembled from episodes. The anthology movies( Prince and the Pauper, Willie and the Yank, Mystery of Boyne Castle) were released overseas as full length films, correct?/?