The Rescuers & The Rescuers Down Under: SPECIAL EDITION

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I actually like the cover and that it's a two movie collection. At least they're both 'Cannon" titles this time.
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Thanks for the info!! That is one amazing cover art :-)
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

Post by SwordInTheStone777 »

Im surprised there calling it the 35th Anniversary Edition. Any word on special features, or are we just going to get a nice cover and that's it.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

*sigh* I guess I shall resign myself to the fact that these 2-Movie collections are going to continue.

On the plus side that is actually beautiful cover art.
Hercules

Post by Hercules »

I actually like both of these movies being together, and the cover is gorgeous too. I will definitely be buying this when it is released.
~Remember, every downhill has its uphill.~
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

SwordInTheStone777 wrote:Im surprised there calling it the 35th Anniversary Edition. Any word on special features, or are we just going to get a nice cover and that's it.
Oh no! This is going to mean that the Hunchback Blu-ray will be put together with that awful sequel won't it?!!? No! No! Not that! Anything but that!
Disney Live On
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Live On »

Can I remind everyone that Rescuers Down Under is NOT a DTV Sequel. It predates those sequels and actually was made by the main Disney animation team. And it shows! The movie is far superior to many of the other Disney sequels. Its also crucial to the history of Disney animation as it was the first film to be scanned and coloured in the computer (as Mermaid was the last hand painted cell animated feature). As such I feel these movies (like Fantasia/ Fantasia 2000) belong together, unlike the other DTV sequels that should be kept as far from their predecessors as possible. lol. :D
Disney Live On
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Live On »

:D Just found this short but quite well made Making of The Rescuers Down Under featurette that I thought I'd share. I hope it makes it to the blu ray. :-)

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8rH9xY4 ... re=related

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kKXmLSsDZ0
quang25thinh

Post by quang25thinh »

I don't like it to be a 2 Movie Collection, but the cover art is actually pretty good :oops:
abenotgabe
Gold Classic Collection

Post by abenotgabe »

I'm very excited for this release! I can't wait to see the original in HD, the DVD transfer is so grainy. Down Under is gonna look amazing in 3D if they ever decide to render it. Keeping my fingers crossed.
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

Disney Live On wrote::D Just found this short but quite well made Making of The Rescuers Down Under featurette that I thought I'd share. I hope it makes it to the blu ray. :-)

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8rH9xY4 ... re=related

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kKXmLSsDZ0
That would be nice inculsion, but we all know it wont be.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

PatrickvD wrote:Separate please. :roll:
This one I'm not against the double package as both are Animated Classics. Same with "Fantasia" when they did that one. However, I hope like "Fantasia," both films are on separate discs. But I have a feeling they won't be and I might not buy if that is the case.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
SwordInTheStone777
Special Edition

milojthatch wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:Separate please. :roll:
This one I'm not against the double package as both are Animated Classics. Same with "Fantasia" when they did that one. However, I hope like "Fantasia," both films are on separate discs. But I have a feeling they won't be and I might not buy if that is the case.
I wouldn't be suprised if they did.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

The main thing I'm concerned about for this release is the restoration for both films. I found the DVD releases to be quite abysmal with the transfers, which is a shame because they're both such great films (The Rescuers I can understand, sort of, but Down Under - being a CAPS film - I don't think there's any excuse for the quality of its' DVD).

Does Disney consider Rescuers to be a 1st rate or 2nd rate film? I just don't want another half-assed restoration like FATH, considering The Rescuers is one of my all-time favourites.
Lnds500
Anniversary Edition

Post by Lnds500 »

Ivan wrote:The main thing I'm concerned about for this release is the restoration for both films. I found the DVD releases to be quite abysmal with the transfers, which is a shame because they're both such great films (The Rescuers I can understand, sort of, but Down Under - being a CAPS film - I don't think there's any excuse for the quality of its' DVD).

Does Disney consider Rescuers to be a 1st rate or 2nd rate film? I just don't want another half-assed restoration like FATH.
I rhink that Rescuers Down Under, Hercules and The Hunchback of Notre-Dame are the only CAPS films who never had a digital transfer to DVD. They've been sourced from film negatives, that's why the quality was so bad. Now that they're rereleasing it though, I'm sure it will look pristine
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

I love the artwork for this release! I gotta say, of all the announced 2012 blu-ray releases, this is the one I'm most excited about. Can't wait to own it! Like others have said, I hope Disney gives both these films separate discs and a plethora of bonus features. Hopefully we won't get a short-changed Fox and the Hound type release just because it's a 2 movie collection.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

When Fantasia first came out with the 2-movie collection, I HATED it. I wanted different releases. Period.

But...I'm kind of getting used to the 2-movie releases. It doesn't bother me that much anymore. Bring them on...at least we're getting something!
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Scan of the Canadian Booklet Page

Last edited by Sotiris on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Really disapoointed the spine is blue. I hope that is only in the mockup.

I really dislike this cover full stop.

There is no less than 10 characters on the cover.

The cover does not represent either movie very well. Fox and the Hound's cover didn't acknowledge the sequel at all other than mention of its title. Pocahontas included the sequels characters, but the whole cover had the loverly blue scenary of the original.

Here there is no gloomy swamp, and just a glimsp of the aussie outcome. I just don't feel like it'll be purchasing either The Rescuers nor The Rescuers Down Under.
Princess Leia
Limited Issue

Post by Princess Leia »

Will there be a DVD only release for both movies as well? I have "Rescuers", but not "Down Under". If there's going to be a new DVD only 2 movie collection like the Blu-Ray, I might consider picking it up and getting rid of the "Rescuers" DVD that I already have.