DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:19 pm 
Offline
Gold Collection
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:29 am
Posts: 105
Location: Germany
We had this announcement for 4 movies and Aladdin wasn't part of it. So I fear no :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:21 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:23 am
Posts: 2742
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Jäger-Rose wrote:
We had this announcement for 4 movies and Aladdin wasn't part of it. So I fear no :(


Yeah, but we also didn't think Aladdin wasn't getting a Diamond Edition, so...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:22 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Posts: 1091
Location: Athens, Greece
Barbossa wrote:
Lnds500 wrote:
Barbossa wrote:
Does this mean Aladdin is getting a 3D theatrical release?


uhmm.. no. why would it mean that?


Um, Lion King, and BatB getting 3D releases recently?

I could see Aladdin getting one.


yes, me as well. if the rest of the conversions are successful (The Little Mermaid included).

oh, you're talking about the change between Special Edition => Diamond. I thought you were talking about getting a 3D release based on its release date :P

I was thinking this as well. they might end up converting this one and re-releasing it, like they did with BatB. :( that would be an expensive double-dipping


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:26 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:23 am
Posts: 2742
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Lnds500 wrote:
I was thinking this as well. they might end up converting this one and re-releasing it, like they did with BatB. :( that would be an expensive double-dipping


I double-dipped on BatB. I wish we knew ahead of time about the 3D release.

All I know is, somewhere in Puerto Rico, reyquila is celebrating. :wink: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:43 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition

Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:44 am
Posts: 6152
Location: Michigan
Come on, Disney. Make up your f***ing minds. I hate it when you pull these little stunts.

Anyways, It is good, that this is getting the Diamond Edition treatment. Let's just hope the cover art is better than the ugly 2004 edition's.

_________________
My Blu-Ray Collection


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:45 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Posts: 1091
Location: Athens, Greece
Barbossa wrote:
Lnds500 wrote:
I was thinking this as well. they might end up converting this one and re-releasing it, like they did with BatB. :( that would be an expensive double-dipping


I double-dipped on BatB. I wish we knew ahead of time about the 3D release.


me as well. but because our release here lacked 3/4 of the material present in other countries (no theatrical cut + very few extras), that one was an easy decision.

my usual shopping behavior in Disney animated movies is getting the Greek release for the Greek dub, and then the UK release for the extras, slipcover, numbering etc. double dipping is standard. double dipping for Aladdin would be twice that, aka 4 COPIES OF ALADDIN!!

:huh:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:04 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:53 pm
Posts: 2981
stevemcqueen wrote:
If these rumours are true, this could be the final Diamond line-up:
Fall 2009: Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs
Fall 2010: Beauty And The Beast
Spring 2011: Bambi
Fall 2011: The Lion King
Spring 2012: Lady And The Tramp
Fall 2012: Cinderella
Spring 2013: Aladdin
Fall 2013: The Little Mermaid
Spring 2014: The Jungle Book
Fall 2014: Sleeping Beauty



You've got to be kidding me! I am NOT getting Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray a second time, even if it IS a Diamond Edition! I'm happy enough with the Platinum Edition that I got and started my Blu-ray library with! As a matter of fact, the movie's practically the reason my family invested in HD. :P


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:06 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Posts: 1091
Location: Athens, Greece
DisneyJedi wrote:
You've got to be kidding me! I am NOT getting Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray a second time, even if it IS a Diamond Edition! I'm happy enough with the Platinum Edition that I got and started my Blu-ray library with! As a matter of fact, the movie's practically the reason my family invested in HD. :P


who said it's gonna be on Blu-ray? ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:24 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:53 pm
Posts: 2981
Lnds500 wrote:
DisneyJedi wrote:
You've got to be kidding me! I am NOT getting Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray a second time, even if it IS a Diamond Edition! I'm happy enough with the Platinum Edition that I got and started my Blu-ray library with! As a matter of fact, the movie's practically the reason my family invested in HD. :P


who said it's gonna be on Blu-ray? ;)


Well, for all we know, it's probably gonna be 3D blu-ray. I don't even know any other format that could come around by then.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:20 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 7966
Flanger-Hanger wrote:
They throw darts at a board with movie titles and dates on it.


:lol:

That's so true!

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:59 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:40 am
Posts: 618
Aladdin for a spring release? Great! I love that Aladdin is back and that they are breaking off from the predictable Platinum collection. Let's keep our fingers crossed they don't pull a "Fantasia Diamond Edition" on us with Al though :)

_________________
Image
Stay sweet!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:49 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 8:39 am
Posts: 471
Well this is exciting. :D Aladdin is one of my favorites. I really hope they release the sequels separately like they did with BatB... or, if not, give us a really nice collectors case like they did with Lion King. The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Cinderella are my most anticipated titles to be released in the next few years. I really hope they do the movies justice.

_________________
http://thedisnerd.tumblr.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:14 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 2301
I just hope the movie itself isn't screwed up. I fear we'll find some shots with missing layers and color adjustments like the lion king.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:14 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:53 pm
Posts: 2981
Kyle wrote:
I just hope the movie itself isn't screwed up. I fear we'll find some shots with missing layers and color adjustments like the lion king.


Really? That happened with the recent release of Lion King? The only thing I noticed that was different was... well... the reomval of the clouds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:02 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 2301
As you mentioned one shot is missing mufassa's cloud formation, the 3d transfer is missing a shadow. There was also a lot reframing, refocusing and redrawing of various elements, even in the 2d version. And a more noticeable part for me was the color shifts. In general they warmed up the color temp near the end of the movie. It was suppose to have cooler depressing tones, and yet they warmed up and saturated the pallet, completely changing the mood in my opinion. Some screens here show a bit of that.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... 393&page=2
This isn't even taking into account the changes made from VHS to dvd (which honestly never bothered me to much)

Another problem is in the audio mix, its very flat apparently. I had issues with the audio in my theater when I saw the 3D version it was like the centerchannel wasn't working well at all. I assumed it was an issue with my theater itself but based on what Im hearing other people having the same issues (in both theater and maybe the blu rays themselves) I'm starting to think that's just how it is for everyone. They could have included the hometheater mix from the platinum edition (arguably the one that packs the most punch) but they didn't. Ive heard/seen so many bad things about The Lion King blu ray that I didn't even pick it up. Aladdin and the Lion King are probably my two favorite Disney movies. I'd had to see Aladdin get the same treatment.

It used to be all I had to complain about was the lack of extras, now Id just be content with a solid trasfer. For Aladdin I just want the version they use for broadcast. Is that so much to ask?


Last edited by Kyle on Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:07 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:06 pm
Posts: 611
Personally I see 3D re-releases being canceled just as IMAX re-releases were canceled (with Aladdin no less lol). Although 3D is much more of a suitable experience than IMAX (for animation) so I could easily be wrong.
PixarFan2006 wrote:
Come on, Disney. Make up your f***ing minds. I hate it when you pull these little stunts.

Anyways, It is good, that this is getting the Diamond Edition treatment. Let's just hope the cover art is better than the ugly 2004 edition's.
Uhm, what's your problem? Disney (US Home Video) never officially stated Aladdin was removed from the Diamond Edition line. Even so, there were never plans to release it outside of the DE line any time soon.

All there were all rumors/release schedules from overseas countries, where Aladdin has never been platinum (this line didn't exist for most countries until 101 Dalmatians).

Disney hasn't pulled any stunts at all regarding Aladdin, and don't deserve this completely unwarranted aggression.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:21 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:28 pm
Posts: 40
Location: Vietnam
I'm so excited :D , this is a MUST-BUY


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:23 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:58 pm
Posts: 1371
Location: On The Forums... Duh!
I'm not too worried about any unnecessary revisions or goofs. Sure, slip-ups can always happen with sound mixing and whatnot, but when it comes to "creative revisions," Don Hahn's films are usually the ones to suffer. Musker and Clements' films, on the other hand, have only really been altered to get rid of controversy (The priest's knee in Mermaid, Aladdin's alleged "teenagers" line, etc.). I guess the directors just don't care as much as Hahn does about "improving" their work.

They'll undoubtedly use the version with the IMAX touch-ups, but other than that, I don't think we have much to worry about.

Lnds500 wrote:
Disney Second Screen is amazing for concept art, pencil tests, trivia etc. it's much better than navigating through menus to get to some galleries.

Maybe so, but making content exclusive to Second Screen (a feature that has varying degrees of functionality among viewers, and offered via a service that Disney can shut down at any time) isn't exactly ideal. But to be fair, if we got either, I'd prefer Second Screen over the Virtual Vault.

Quote:
we won't see a lot of new extras simply because the platinum edition's extras were amazing!

Which is exactly why I'm so worried about what Disney will inevitably drop from this release. Aladdin received what was possibly Disney's greatest 2-disc DVD release ever, and there's no way 2012-Disney is going to port all of that over.

But as close to perfect as it was, there's still plenty of new material they can add. The Platinum release barely even scratched the surface in the "deleted songs" section, for example.

_________________
- John
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:30 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:07 pm
Posts: 722
The year Aladdin came out was the year I was born well it was the month after it was released into theaters.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:43 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:14 pm
Posts: 1091
Location: Athens, Greece
Pasta67 wrote:
I'm not too worried about any unnecessary revisions or goofs. Sure, slip-ups can always happen with sound mixing and whatnot, but when it comes to "creative revisions," Don Hahn's films are usually the ones to suffer. Musker and Clements' films, on the other hand, have only really been altered to get rid of controversy (The priest's knee in Mermaid, Aladdin's alleged "teenagers" line, etc.). I guess the directors just don't care as much as Hahn does about "improving" their work.

They'll undoubtedly use the version with the IMAX touch-ups, but other than that, I don't think we have much to worry about.

Lnds500 wrote:
Disney Second Screen is amazing for concept art, pencil tests, trivia etc. it's much better than navigating through menus to get to some galleries.

Maybe so, but making content exclusive to Second Screen (a feature that has varying degrees of functionality among viewers, and offered via a service that Disney can shut down at any time) isn't exactly ideal. But to be fair, if we got either, I'd prefer Second Screen over the Virtual Vault.


which service will they shut down? once you download the app, you're good to go.
I guess you're talking about the website they use for the PC version? I haven't used it, but i think it's unlikely they'll shut it down before the next version of the movie is released


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NeverLand, Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group