Disney Princesses Got a Makeover

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

You obviously feel very strongly about this which is fair enough, but I really don't see how it is so upsetting ? I mean the gold dresses are awful, but I just accept that as Disney marketing. As is this. I'm sure most people won't even notice ..... The general public I mean.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

DisneyJedi wrote:Well, why couldn't they have just made Cinderella's hair strawberry blond/ash brown/whatever it was and her dress silver, instead of making her hairstyle more stupid period accurate?
Because they enjoy pissing you off and see you whine.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Well for example I just purchased 'Now That's What I Call Disney' on iTunes, Cinderella is on the cover .... Looking nothing like the movie version. But I still recognise her as her character.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

About time they fix the problem with her missing ears.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

bradhig wrote:About time they fix the problem with her missing ears.
Now if only they'd do something about her missing toes... ;)
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

DisneyJedi wrote:Well, why couldn't they have just made Cinderella's hair strawberry blond/ash brown/whatever it was and her dress silver, instead of making her hairstyle more stupid period accurate?
*shrugs*
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

enigmawing wrote:
*shrugs*
Well, I guess THIS looks more colorfully/historically accurate. Why didn't Disney do it like this instead of doing only Cindy's hairstyle?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

DisneyJedi wrote:Well, I guess THIS looks more colorfully/historically accurate. Why didn't Disney do it like this instead of doing only Cindy's hairstyle?
You have to remember that these types of images are targeted toward little girls. They actually prefer the exaggerated, brighter colors.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Silver is a very nice color. I actually prefer it over gold. Besides, having Cinderella in a silver dress (as originally intended) would have left the path open for an actual blue dress for another princess.

...plus, it would be a contrast to Belle.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Enigmawing, you did a gorgeous job! Love it!
What do you mean? Cinderella's hair in the Disney film is more historically accurate than this re-design which is more modern.

Here's hair close to hers from the 1700's to 1800's:

And don't worry, Disney will not re-animate the film to look like this. But I do wonder if in the last restoration they made her hair more yellow and her dress more blue in certain scenes because of the merchandise colors...
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:I guess it's similar, but it doesn't have the odd earring connection that Cinderella has. Which is just bizarre.
I now realize, in the Disney film it's probably just a ribbon in her hair and earrings so big they cover her ears and part of the ribbon. Her hair usually covers part of her ears when it isn't up in the film.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Hmm well you have to admit Duster, I know you love her, but the whole hairband / earrings combo is odd. Just wonder why they did it like that; the 'new' version makes more sense, and follows the period style more closely.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

I'm getting a Taylor Swift vibe from her face ...kind of makes me want to punch her.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

DancingCrab wrote:I'm getting a Taylor Swift vibe from her face ...kind of makes me want to punch her.

though seriously, what's wrong with Taylor Swift?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Hmm well you have to admit Duster, I know you love her, but the whole hairband / earrings combo is odd. Just wonder why they did it like that; the 'new' version makes more sense, and follows the period style more closely.
The reason they did it is it's hard to animated lots of detail, and that would include ears. Making the hair ribbon/band go right into the earrings is much easier. I think it looks smooth and pretty but other people have been bothered by it. Also Cinderella is probably not set in the 1800's. Some clothing and hairstyles in the film are influenced from that period, but there's also too much influence from the 1700's for the film to be set in the 1800's. The film just doesn't look very Victorian as the 1800's era would be.

The architecture in the film is from the reign of Louis XIV as one background artist said. Here is the fashion of the time right after Louis XIV died and Louis XV reigned. It looks extremely like Disney's Cinderella:

DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Super Aurora wrote:though seriously, what's wrong with Taylor Swift?
Is this a trick question?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

DancingCrab wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:though seriously, what's wrong with Taylor Swift?
Is this a trick question?
no i'm seriously asking. Cause I haven't heard anything negative about her unless you hate country music.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

I find her annoying and her music/voice overrated. She comes across like so many girls I know who take way too much advantage of the sweet little "victim" card to get people to like them.

Most of the people I know actually have pretty negative opinions of her as a music artist. The only thing I'll give her credit for is she IS cute and she does write her own material, which puts her ahead of some of the other young pop/country stars. Still, I can't shake my dislike for her.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Disney Duster wrote:
atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Hmm well you have to admit Duster, I know you love her, but the whole hairband / earrings combo is odd. Just wonder why they did it like that; the 'new' version makes more sense, and follows the period style more closely.
The reason they did it is it's hard to animated lots of detail, and that would include ears. Making the hair ribbon/band go right into the earrings is much easier. I think it looks smooth and pretty but other people have been bothered by it. Also Cinderella is probably not set in the 1800's. Some clothing and hairstyles in the film are influenced from that period, but there's also too much influence from the 1700's for the film to be set in the 1800's. The film just doesn't look very Victorian as the 1800's era would be.

The architecture in the film is from the reign of Louis XIV as one background artist said. Here is the fashion of the time right after Louis XIV died and Louis XV reigned. It looks extremely like Disney's Cinderella:

Thank you for posting that picture. But I still haven't seen a hairband from that era that looked like that. Even if Disney did simplify it.

At the end of the day, as we have seen, Disney tweaks and changes all their animated characters outside of the movies; we probably just notice the changes that the Princesses go through as they are so much more in your face than any other character line.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

@enigmawing: I may have realized that, deep down, I'm a color purist? :lol: For some reason I like it better like that... Maybe the colors are just less gaudy. I still hate the hair/hairband. I get the way the hairband is in the original is odd, but hairbands don't normally disappear into your hair, do they?

I just always though Cinderella's ears are as exceptionally small as her feet. :lol:
DancingCrab wrote:She comes across like so many girls I know who take way too much advantage of the sweet little "victim" card to get people to like them.
I agree with that. But I still think she's very pretty, and I personally like her music. She can't sing at all (the fact that she's rumored to be in a version of Les Miserables singing "On My Own" brings all sorts of nightmares), but I think she has a pretty tone. As far as her persona though, I agree, she needs to grow up.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Miss Jo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Miss Jo »

I don't like Taylor Swift either. I will admit that I do love her music, but I cannot stand her personality. She comes across as incredibly conceited to me, and she seems to think she's a princess or something. I swear, she wrote that "Romeo and Juliet" song just so she could wear a pretty gown and act like a damsel in distress in the music video.
"I don't get high on drugs; I get high on Disney."