DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:00 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 8048
Jim Hill wrote:
DisneyToon Studios is really gearing up for the launch of that "Cars" spin-off, the "Planes" series of home premieres (which I've heard is supposed to be a trilogy)

Source: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... aspx#23533

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:33 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 am
Posts: 2273
Location: Maryland, USA
Sotiris wrote:
Quote:
DisneyToon Studios is really gearing up for the launch of that "Cars" spin-off, the "Planes" series of home premieres (which I've heard is supposed to be a trilogy)


Source: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... aspx#23533


Hey, Disney what happened to NO DVD-sequels? :roll: :roll: :roll: I get it's a spin-off, but still...I am not feeling this.

_________________
Image

FAVORITE DISNEY MOVIES: Sleeping Beauty, Meet the Robinsons, Enchanted, The Lion King, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, Brave, and Lilo and Stitch!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:35 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:26 am
Posts: 1114
Location: Las Vegas, NV
disneyprincess11 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:
Quote:
DisneyToon Studios is really gearing up for the launch of that "Cars" spin-off, the "Planes" series of home premieres (which I've heard is supposed to be a trilogy)


Source: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... aspx#23533


Hey, Disney what happened to NO DVD-sequels? :roll: :roll: :roll: I get it's a spin-off, but still...I am not feeling this.
And that's not the only direct-to-video spinoff film to get a series. Look at Tinkerbell.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:48 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:27 pm
Posts: 2104
I think when Lasseter said they wouldn't make any more direct-to-video sequels, it was to theatrically-released films. Spin-offs are fine, though, as are sequels to said spin-offs.

_________________
"If your life had a face, I would punch it." - Kim Pine, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:59 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:33 am
Posts: 4427
Location: TX
Well, I think Lasseter keeps the quality up high enough to make direct to video work. I wish he would allow some 2D though, if he can keep the quality high on that as well. Can't say I'm psyched about Planes though, since Cars is the one PIXAR franchise I don't care much for. Don't hate it, but it is not as great as I've come to expect from PIXAR. More like what I expect from the competing studios.

I've been saying this for years, but I would love to see the direct to video market used for feature films continuing from the Disney Afternoon shows, and other Disney animated shows. Sorta like DC did for a while with their Timm/Dini Universe, and continues to do outside of that Universe. Marvel has done some good direct to video animated features too. Direct to video doesn't HAVE TO mean crap, and even a fraction of the Disney ones were good to excellent, and a lot of the bad ones showed glimmers of "This could have been great". So, yeah, I'd like to see them do some (hand-drawn) Darkwing Duck, Gummi Bears, Gargoyles, and TaleSpin direct to video movies, among other stuff. They could even do more Kim Possible, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, and others...

It also would have been the right place for a Country Bears movie. One truer to the park attraction. The one they made sucked so bad!

_________________
<a href="http://moonlightmotelcomic.com/"><img alt="Check out my published content!" src="http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/010/b/8/moonlight_motel_banner_ad_by_slave2moonlight-d4lxrtt.png" border="0"></a>


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:02 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:47 pm
Posts: 2352
estefan wrote:
I think when Lasseter said they wouldn't make any more direct-to-video sequels, it was to theatrically-released films. Spin-offs are fine, though, as are sequels to said spin-offs.
Exactly. Its why this is Planes, not Cars 3. You will never see direct to blu ray Cars 3, Toy Story 4, etc but spin offs can be easily ignored.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:02 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 6:19 am
Posts: 2727
I just watched the trailer for this on YouTube, and it looks really...stupid. Not to mention not interesting in the slightest.

_________________
http://onethousandandonemovienights.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:50 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8128
Location: Appleton, WI
to be fair, there've been way worse ads for dtvs.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:59 am 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:42 pm
Posts: 992
Disney's, "Tinker Bell," is a spin-off of Walt Disney's, "Peter Pan."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:39 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:34 am
Posts: 2273
slave2moonlight wrote:

I've been saying this for years, but I would love to see the direct to video market used for feature films continuing from the Disney Afternoon shows, and other Disney animated shows. Sorta like DC did for a while with their Timm/Dini Universe, and continues to do outside of that Universe. Marvel has done some good direct to video animated features too. Direct to video doesn't HAVE TO mean crap, and even a fraction of the Disney ones were good to excellent, and a lot of the bad ones showed glimmers of "This could have been great". So, yeah, I'd like to see them do some (hand-drawn) Darkwing Duck, Gummi Bears, Gargoyles, and TaleSpin direct to video movies, among other stuff. They could even do more Kim Possible, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, and others...



I REALLY love your idea. It would be a great way to keep these classic characters going and generate new interest. It would also make the DTV films more relevant. To be fair, the "Tinker Bell" films haven't been half bad, but on the whole, the entire genre has been looked down on, and for good reason! I bet Disney Afternoon films would do well.

_________________
____________________________________________________________
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:45 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:27 pm
Posts: 2104
Yep! I 100% agree Disney should do that. It would be a great way to re-introduce these characters to the younger generations and would certainly help move units of the shows off the shelves. It's a win-win situation for everyone. We get a (hopefully) great return of these shows we loved from our childhood and Disney makes a tidy profit. They should do something similar with what they did with those comics.

Start with a direct-to-video movie of Darkwing Duck and if that sells well (which I think it would), go on to a Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers movie the following year and then a Tale Spin movie and so on. Maybe after the Disney Afternoon series are done, they can go to the One Saturday Morning shows afterwards and make direct-to-video movies of those.

The only one that doesn't seem likely is Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. Apparently, Lasseter hated the show. Though I personally think it's the best Disney spin-off show based on a feature film.

_________________
"If your life had a face, I would punch it." - Kim Pine, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:13 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:33 am
Posts: 4427
Location: TX
Thanks for the support. Yeah, I think it's something that could work. For one thing, with a direct to video movie based on a TV show, there is the potential for the quality to be an improvement over the source material rather than a downgrade, as from a theatrical feature.

And, of course, there are no limits. They can do multiple Darkwing movies, for example, if they find that is a title that does well. And they have a HUGE number of shows already they can do this from, and those can lead to spin offs too. Not to mention the fact that they could do plenty of original direct to video movies for subjects that maybe wouldn't seem bigscreen worthy. They could even finally do a Disney's Gremlins movie, along with other comic-based stuff, and theme park based stuff too (like Country Bears) if it's a subject that probably isn't bigscreen worthy in their eyes. How about a Kingdom Hearts movie series for direct to video? They could even use their precious computer animation for that one, ha. There are a lot of possibilities.

And, yeah, I do love the Tink movies, even though I haven't watched all of them yet (but I do own them all). I like what I've seen and I have a thing for TinkerBell, anyway, ha. In both hand drawn and CGI form.

That's weird about Lasseter not liking the Buzz Lightyear show! It was such a fun, funny, and smart show! Makes me wonder a little about him. He doesn't like that show, and he gives us a cars sequel that is just a popcorn film. Are we certain he was the main brain behind PIXAR? Hmm... Those Toy Story Collection toy replicas aren't as all-out accurate as he makes them out to be either...

_________________
<a href="http://moonlightmotelcomic.com/"><img alt="Check out my published content!" src="http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/010/b/8/moonlight_motel_banner_ad_by_slave2moonlight-d4lxrtt.png" border="0"></a>


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:01 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:46 am
Posts: 2273
Location: Maryland, USA
TheValentineBros wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:
Quote:
DisneyToon Studios is really gearing up for the launch of that "Cars" spin-off, the "Planes" series of home premieres (which I've heard is supposed to be a trilogy)


Source: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... aspx#23533


Hey, Disney what happened to NO DVD-sequels? :roll: :roll: :roll: I get it's a spin-off, but still...I am not feeling this.
And that's not the only direct-to-video spinoff film to get a series. Look at Tinkerbell.


Yeah, I know. And don't forget.......Air Buddies. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

And to the comment about the theatrically-released films, since the spin-off is about the characters, wouldn't they also be sequels since it take place after or before the films? Sorry if that made no sense.

_________________
Image

FAVORITE DISNEY MOVIES: Sleeping Beauty, Meet the Robinsons, Enchanted, The Lion King, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, Brave, and Lilo and Stitch!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:52 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:26 am
Posts: 1114
Location: Las Vegas, NV
disneyprincess11 wrote:
TheValentineBros wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:
Quote:
DisneyToon Studios is really gearing up for the launch of that "Cars" spin-off, the "Planes" series of home premieres (which I've heard is supposed to be a trilogy)


Source: http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... aspx#23533


Hey, Disney what happened to NO DVD-sequels? :roll: :roll: :roll: I get it's a spin-off, but still...I am not feeling this.
And that's not the only direct-to-video spinoff film to get a series. Look at Tinkerbell.


Yeah, I know. And don't forget.......Air Buddies. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Oh yeah, the godawful Air Buddies franchise. Yeah, that series sucked too.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:32 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 8048
Quote:
Q: Allegedly, Planes is the first of three 'Planes' films. I've even read solid rumors that DisneyToon Studios could do Boats.

Bob Hilgenberg & Rob Muir: Yes, we heard that they were developing other films in the franchise, Boats and Trains. But, beyond seeing some visual development, we don’t know what, if any, of the films will be put into production. They may wait to see how well Planes performs.

But, certainly I've never heard of a Cars 3 – but would you be surprised? I’m not sure I would. It’s hard to pass up that kind of "free money"! By the way, we love sequels. We’ve always compared them to having a hit TV show. You enjoy seeing the characters in different situations and worlds.


Source: http://animatedviews.com/2012/bob-hilge ... animation/

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:47 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 3523
Location: Puerto Rico
Oh boy, you just know that Ellen DeGeneres will not be happy about this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QLEp1nmZFr4" frameborder="0"></iframe>

_________________
ImageImageImageImage

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:59 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 815
Hahaah :lol: :lol: I love Ellen!

Is she interesting in reprising Dory? or it it a No Way kinda thing?

_________________
Image
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:57 pm
Posts: 3523
Location: Puerto Rico
DisneyDude2010 wrote:
Hahaah :lol: :lol: I love Ellen!

Is she interesting in reprising Dory? or it it a No Way kinda thing?


She really wants to do Finding Nemo 2 and reprise her role as Dory. I can't blame her, she was one of the highlights of the movie and she did seem to have a lot of fun recording her.

_________________
ImageImageImageImage

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:44 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 8048
Michael Crawford wrote:
Disney announced yesterday that the first Pixar-derived direct-to-video project, the Cars spinoff Planes, has been pushed back to a Fall 2013 DVD and Blu-ray release. Could this have anything to do with rumors that Mr. Lasseter is pushing for a theatrical release for his spinoff? I don’t know. But work on a sequel is already underway.

Source: http://progresscityusa.com/2012/06/12/all-froze-up/

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:40 am 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:33 am
Posts: 881
Location: USA
Sotiris wrote:
Quote:
Disney announced yesterday that the first Pixar-derived direct-to-video project, the Cars spinoff Planes, has been pushed back to a Fall 2013 DVD and Blu-ray release. Could this have anything to do with rumors that Mr. Lasseter is pushing for a theatrical release for his spinoff? I don’t know. But work on a sequel is already underway.


Source: http://progresscityusa.com/2012/06/12/all-froze-up/


I don't know if a theatrical release is a good idea. I have the feeling that this has the potential to confuse A LOT of average movie-goers that this is a Pixar film, which is good and bad, I guess. Good if it lives up to the quality, bad if it doesn't. Then again, most average, non-animation fan movie-goers might not even be able to tell the difference between a DreamWorks film and a Pixar film...

I can just hear the complaints now about how Pixar has fallen from grace and that they won't stop doing Cars sequels from people who have no idea what they're talking about. :roll:

_________________
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 379 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 19  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Disney Analysis, Jules and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group