John Carter

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Kyle wrote:Well Stanton has no real recognition outside the animation community. your average person will be like "who?"
Right, but they would recognize "From the Writer/Director of <i>Finding Nemo</i> and <i>WALL•E</i>."
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

A lot of the footage looked like Prince of Persia meets Cowboys and Aliens, and though it doesn't look super original or groundbreaking, it looks like it will be a well made film. They did a good job of making it not look like just another action/sci fi/fantasy movie with the cool song and the way it was edited. This def peaked my interest in seeing it.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I'm excited to see more of this.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

DancingCrab wrote:A lot of the footage looked like Prince of Persia meets Cowboys and Aliens, and though it doesn't look super original or groundbreaking, it looks like it will be a well made film. They did a good job of making it not look like just another action/sci fi/fantasy movie with the cool song and the way it was edited. This def peaked my interest in seeing it.
I agree about the song. It made the trailer seem more quality instead of just some more "insert epic choir here" trailer music. But other than that, they're going to have to work harder to get my interest. I thought the "period" scene in the beginning looked rather nice, though. If only there was more of that throughout. :P
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Lets just hope the marketers don't screw-up this one. I'm one of the few that liked Persia. Mars might be in the title, but at least the word "Moms" isn't.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

*Spoiler Alert*

Exclusive John Carter Footage Unveiled
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31774

John Carter Footage Premiere – Big Screen Report
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/14/ ... en-report/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

I can't wait for this movie. Love the original source and the comic. I hope that 4 eye tiger of Dejah Thoris' is in it.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

The more i see of this, the more I'm liking it!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

Luke wrote:
Kyle wrote:Well Stanton has no real recognition outside the animation community. your average person will be like "who?"
Right, but they would recognize "From the Writer/Director of <i>Finding Nemo</i> and <i>WALL•E</i>."
Yeah, but I don't think the right demographic will be attracted to that.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Linden wrote: I thought the "period" scene in the beginning looked rather nice, though. If only there was more of that throughout. :P
I agree. I just watched the trailer, and that looks better than the scenes on Mars; nevertheless, it looks somewhat interesting, although the cartoonish appearance of the alien looked a bit odd. I loved the music though, and Taylor Kitsch looks good.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Theatrical Poster

Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

I was just looking at the IMDB page for John Carter. Didn't realize Taylor Kitsch, who plays John Carter, is from Kelowna - where I lived for the past 12 years before moving to Calgary this past June. Kelowna has another Disney connection, the head office for Club Penguin is located there. Very interesting...

I'm sure since a local guy has the lead role, there will probably be some special premier event back in K Town. 8)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Andrew Stanton Q&A: Making 'John Carter', the Importance of Animators, and the Secret of Pixar’s Success
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1149967 ... ccess.html
Q: What can you tell us about the possibility of parts two and three? Will they be shot back to back?

A: We bought the rights to the first three books when we first started. I said to them, “Look, I’m usually the guy at Pixar who’s most reluctant to do the sequel". The irony’s not lost on me that, here I am saying we should plan for more, because all eleven books were written by the 60s. They were all written before I was born. I was introduced to them as a series, and so I wanted to launch them properly. My fan wish is that we’ll go to all those stories and make more.

Whether I do them or not, I thought, let’s set it off right, from the off. Because you never get time back. The worse case scenario is that you’ll plan for more but only make one. But what I’d hate is that you’d plan for one with no preparation for the others, because it’ll show. It’ll really bite you in the back end. So I never expected anyone to say we’d definitely do more than one, because it’s a huge risk for them. I didn’t expect them to be.

It’s a huge chunk of change to make something this big. So it made complete sense to me, from their side of the fence, to wait until the movie’s out. But that two to three years of planning, I’ll never get back. So the worst case is that it was a writing exercise for me, to just plan the others and never do them. I’ll never have any regrets, even planning three all along.
Q: Obviously, so many other films have pilfered ideas from the John Carter books. Were you worried that your film will seem over familiar?

A: Well, I wouldn’t have made it if I was worried about that, because there’s no way around it. You may as well not make it if you’re worried about that – it’s a fool’s errand. So, that’s just the reality. I know where it’s from, so my big thing was, how do I make it feel like it felt like to read it?

I mean, there’s a million cop movies with car chases in them. There’s a million romantic stories where she runs away, and will he get her back? You could chase that for ever. When you watch this film alone, does it feel like its own thing? I just wanted it to be pure for what it was. So, again, if I cared too much about that, I shouldn’t have made it.
Q: Why did you drop Mars from the title?

A: Here’s the real truth of it: I changed A Princess Of Mars to John Carter Of Mars. I don’t like to get fixated on it, but I changed Princess Of Mars [the original name of the first book in the series]. I changed that because not a single boy would go. And then the other truth is, no girl would go to see John Carter Of Mars. So I said, “I don’t won’t to do anything out of fear, I hate doing things out of fear, but I can’t ignore that truth.”

And all the time we were making this big character story, it just so happens that they happen to be in this big, spectacular new environment, but it’s not the spectacle, it’s the investment. I thought, I’ve really worked hard to make all of this an origin story. It’s about a guy becoming John Carter. So I’m not misrepresenting what this movie is, it’s John Carter. And if that gets people going that were being simple-minded and not gone, great, because, believe me, Mars is going to stick on any other film. But by then, it won’t have a stigma to it.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Disney needs to step up their marketing efforts on this one. The trailer and the photos so far looks really good and this movie might be great, but the posters and the way Disney have promoted the movie so far is lacking. And the title; "John Carter". Bland and boring. Should have called it John Carter of Mars. This might "bomb" at the box office like Prince of Persia, or it could be really popular if Disney markets it the right way... I'm hoping for a new franchise here, but if it does not earn enough money, then the greedy Disney suits won't approve of more John Carter-movies.
Last edited by Prince Edward on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Theatrical Trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nlvYKl1fjBI" frameborder="0"></iframe>

What do you think? Personally, I'm not impressed; it looks like a cross between Prince of Persia and Avatar. Also, the music they chose for the trailer is over-played.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

TV Spot

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4Z1bHJFQW4o" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Special Screening: Are You a Real John Carter?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/15csUIUHaZE" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Wow, those look awful. This movie looks like it has way too many CG aliens and way too many battle scenes to hold my interest. The nice music is gone too. :( Oh well, I wasn't expecting it to be any good anyway.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Tarzan in Space :lol:

I'm still looking forward to it though. It looks like a great popcorn flick.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Even though it seems that it will be a generic case of brainless style-over-substance, I still have faith in this film because the great Andrew Stanton is director. Also, I'm intrigued by the story (I've got to look into the source material soon) and I like Taylor Kitsch.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

This Japanese trailer shows more footage:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52394

I was disappointed with Prince of Persia, but this looks good. I'm not familiar with the source material at all, but it looks good...