DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:14 pm 
Platinum Edition

Trailer #1

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rga4rp4j5TY" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Trailer #2

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/15__iA1MTqc" frameborder="0"></iframe>

So, what do you think?

Last edited by Sotiris on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:23 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Looks a tad cheesy to me. But not all bad I guess. I might check it out.

And it's kinda weird to throw in the "from the writers of Lost" angle when this show obviously has little in common with Lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:27 pm 
Platinum Edition

Sneek Peeks

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/364vN8voDkE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kBkqY73S-iI" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:14 pm 
Platinum Edition

I loves me any fairy tale anything, but I was thinking maybe it was too much to make a new fairy tale series...I thought it was going to be new versions of old tales and that wouldn't be enough for the general public to have interest...but they are making new stories with fairy tale backgrounds, so I am very interested and I think the public could be!

Maybe some of it does seem a little cheesy, but...I don't think it's cheesy, I'm excited!

That one girl has big ears her short hair shows off. I am glad to see a person who looks as imperfect be more or less a big c-ostar of a TV show.

But the prince getting married, who's really hot and cute, has one of the coolest and hottest costumes for a guy or prince I've ever seen! His wedding costume, I mean.

I think the queen should have a better hair-do, but she seems like a great actress to me, and like she will be excellent at the part!

Patrickvd, as far as I know, the writers of Lost only have Lost as their best (or best known) show, and the whole reason to put "from the writers of Lost" is not because it's like that show but because Lost was a huge hit that so many people thought was really good, so that'll make people think this will be very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:22 pm 
Platinum Edition

This IS NOT a Disney topic. There is a "Once Upon A Time" discussion in the "Movie, Music and TV" thread. Continue there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:43 pm 
Collector's Edition

I am looking forward to seeing Maleficent in this, and she is retaining her Disney animated name. Kristen Bauer from True Blood has been perfectly cast as Mal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:43 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney Duster wrote:
I But the prince getting married, who's really hot and cute, has one of the coolest and hottest costumes for a guy or prince I've ever seen! His wedding costume, I mean.

The actor who plays him is Joshua Dallas, and if you like the look of him, then you'll probably like this: http://www.squarehippies.com/2011/10/cr ... s-in-thor/ :wink:

This series looks somewhat intriguing, but as PatrickvD said, it looks a little cheesy too.

@dvdjunkie: Isn't the ABC network owned by Disney?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:45 pm 
Collector's Edition

Our first look at Malificent:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:59 pm 
Collector's Edition

:o I love it/her

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 pm 
Platinum Edition

Personally, I thought the fairy tale past parts of the show were awful. The costumes/dialogue/acting were horrendous. The "present day" scenes were much more interesting. I could see this show having potential if they let the good parts breathe. Unfortunately, I don't think the ratings will be kind to this show after that premiere.

This'll probably be my last post about the show, because I hate to be negative and bring down a topic for people who might like the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:34 am 
Platinum Edition

Dr. Frankenollie wrote:
Quote:
Isn't the ABC network owned by Disney?

Yes they do, but that doesn't make everything on that network a Disney movie or television series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:37 pm 
Collector's Edition

Yes, but the fairy tale characters used in the show are supposed to be (based on) the Disney version characters.

That's why they use Disney names for their characters. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:37 pm 
Platinum Edition

Don't know where you read that!!! Just because they are using the names of the characters, doesn't mean that they are based on anything Disney.

C'mon, the story of Snow White is as old as the ages and has been told for years. Same with Sleeping Beauty, and all of the other stories this, for now, terrible show is going to come up with.

The acting, and I know I am repeating myself, is really wooden, and not very good. The story was a mish mash of the past, and trying very hard to connect with today, and failing very miserably. I see a whole lot of room for improvement before I am hooked, but I will be watching the next couple of weeks, but I foresee this show going down like "Charlie's Angels" did.

It may have been the number one drama on Sunday, but if you look at the Nielsen's for the week, it isn't even in the Top Ten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:19 pm 
Special Edition

They showed a preview at the D23 expo. and the names of the dawves are that same as Disney's Snow White.

What i dont get is the characters have not aged in 28 years. Yet emma and her son have :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:59 am 
Platinum Edition

I don't want to be in this thread too much because, I dunno, talking about a show I like with people who don't like it and say it's bad can ruin it for me...

But I really liked the pilot! I guess some of it did turn out to be cheesy, but...I just don't care! Was anyone expecting it to be the greatest written, most serious show? I thought the lead character was very interesting and a good actress. I like her already. And I still think the queen is great. Snow White is either playing her character too soft, and it's intended...or needs to work on her acting and emoting...I think she just needs to pull the softness and sweetness off better. And hey, I though the lines like "I've come to give you a gift...my gift to you is this happy day...because the rest of your days are gonna be empty of all your happiness", were good, well, I'm paraphrasing, but I thought that was kind of a powerful way of saying it...

I really did love the fariy tale past scenes. The costumes had parts I liked and didn't liked, but mostly I liked them and at least they were interesting, like that fairy's costume, though it needed more hanging fabric to look more like she had a dress instead of...pieces dangling from a tutu. And Snow White should've had (feminine) swirly-design sleeves to match the prince's at the wedding though. And the Queen's hair-dos just don't work for someone who wants to be the prettiest in the land. Well, maybe she thinks she's pretty enough even with them. I loved the special effects though.

Hey, what was with the prince sword-fighting while holding his baby? Couldn't he find some servant to get her through as he fought? That was a little wtf unless it was the only thing he could do in which case, dang, what a situation!

I didn't know they were using the names and so many other things from Disney. Where did they actually officially say they were? I have to admit, with the one dwarf seeming grumpier than the rest, I already felt they were basing it too much on Disney, and now with Sleeping Beauty's fairy looking just like Maleficent, complete with dragon-topped staff (again, I only like some parts of the costume), I guess they must be going for Disney...which can be good or bad, but in this case I think it's bad. They should only have passing references, acknowledgements of the Disney influence, not outright mimics of Disney like they seem to be doing!

I am very looking forward to Cinderella's segment, hope it has that fairy from before, I liked her look and character, but I am just looking forward to the rest of the show! It's just my thing, and it's not bad, and I'm really glad people are still so interested in fairy tales!

Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:50 am 
Platinum Edition

I, too, liked the pilot. I found the fairytale portions descent except for the dialogue which is not very good. I cringed when the Prince yelled "Hey" to the Wicked Queen.

Lana Parrilla, the actress who plays the Wicked Queen/Regina Mills, steals the show in every scene. She reminds me of Susan Sarandon as Queen Narissa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:53 am 
Collector's Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
I didn't know they were using the names and so many other things from Disney. Where did they actually officially say they were? I have to admit, with the one dwarf seeming grumpier than the rest, I already felt they were basing it too much on Disney, and now with Sleeping Beauty's fairy looking just like Maleficent, complete with dragon-topped staff (again, I only like some parts of the costume), I guess they must be going for Disney...which can be good or bad, but in this case I think it's bad. They should only have passing references, acknowledgements of the Disney influence, not outright mimics of Disney like they seem to be doing!

I don't exactly remember where I read it, but the producers said in one interview they asked the people at Disney permission to use their characters and got licence to do so.

However, I don't believe the fairy tale characters we see on this show are supposed to be the actual Disney characters. They just seem to be based on them and seem to be coming from the Disney versions of the stories.

As for the grumpy dwarf, he is Grumpy. The dwarves have the same names as in the Disney movie and are based on them. If you look at the dwarves in the scene where the prince wakes up Snow White, you can clearly see one dwarf is supposed to be Dopey. Also, the dwarf that helps Snow White deliver her baby is called Doc by the prince.

Grumpy even whistles 'Whistle While you Work' when he's in prison in the 'real world'.

Same thing with Sleeping Beauty's fairy. Her name is Maleficent and her costume is obviously based on the Disney character.

By the way, here are some stills from the fourth episode, which is the one Cinderella appears in. The Fairy Godmother is obviously very different from the fairy we see in the first episode (who was supposed to be the Blue Fairy from Pinocchio), and the Godmother from the Disney movie:

More at: http://www.seat42f.com/once-upon-a-time ... otos.html#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:22 am 
Platinum Edition

supertalies wrote:
I don't exactly remember where I read it, but the producers said in one interview they asked the people at Disney permission to use their characters and got licence to do so.

I think it's here:
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Damon-Linde ... 36165.aspx

supertalies wrote:
As for the grumpy dwarf, he is Grumpy. The dwarfs have the same names as in the Disney movie and are based on them. If you look at the dwarfs in the scene where the prince wakes up Snow White, you can clearly see one dwarf is supposed to be Dopey. Also, the dwarf that helps Snow White deliver her baby is called Doc by the prince.

Grumpy even whistles 'Whistle While you Work' when he's in prison in the 'real world'.

Same thing with Sleeping Beauty's fairy. Her name is Maleficent and her costume is obviously based on the Disney character.

Also, the talking cricket character is referred to as Jiminy Cricket more than once. In the original story by Collodi he was only referred to as "The Talking Cricket". It was in the Disney version of Pinocchio where the character got the name Jiminy Cricket much like how the Dwarfs got names in Disney's Snow White.

If they hadn't gained permission they wouldn't be able to use the names of the Disney characters due to copyright.

Last edited by Sotiris on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:37 am 
Collector's Edition

AHH!! I can't wait till the next episode! I want to know Snow White and the Evil Queen's backgrounds, plus how Snow White and the Prince met. Can't wait to see the Cinderella episode as well!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:57 am 
Platinum Edition

From the article, it sounds like Disney expected them to do their characters, and the "license" they gave was "creative license" as in changing the characters ala Snow White with a sword.

It makes sense that if Disney produced this they would aks for their own characters to have some influence on the show...but no one agrees the creators should have done much more their own versions with much slighter Disney reference?

I did wonder if that fairy was the blue fairy since she was, well, blue, and talked to Gepetto. But she wore a costume so much like the one Cinderella will wear. Her hair (which should be blue...) and dress looks like she's from Cinderella's era (even though they are all supposed to be from the same time period now?).

I don't like the fairy godmother's costume anywhere below the fancy neckline, but Cinderella has good costumes and hair, though it could use an extra something on the skirt. I demand so much, don't I? :p

AliceinWonderland wrote:
What i dont get is the characters have not aged in 28 years. Yet emma and her son have :?

Emma is free from the spell, and so was her son, since she lived outside of the cursed world and she gave birth to him outside of it, too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 59  Next