The Lion King: Diamond Edition

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

That's relatively new too! The Disney DVD logo used to be small on the discs. I think the Wumbo DVD logo started this year.
DisneyFan54012

Post by DisneyFan54012 »

Why would someone want 3 different versions of the same movies? I find this totally ridiculous.
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

@DisneyFan54012: Do you mean owning Lion King on Platinum DVD then Diamond blu/DVD?

I guess it's circumstantial like most things. I got the Lion King platinum in 04 and I think about 07 my aunt who lived with us stole it (along with Aladdin, Mulan, etc) when she moved out. I got a cousin to steal it back but when I did, the slipover was gone and the disc 1 was REALLY scratched.

And since the Diamond came out (in which all packs come with a DVD) I decided to replace it. That's just my story at least. Other people just buy buy buy religiously. :D
jinkinquackers
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jinkinquackers »

DisneyFan54012 wrote:Why would someone want 3 different versions of the same movies? I find this totally ridiculous.
Do you mean like, for example, when Disney puts out a movie in both Blu-ray/DVD combo and DVD/Blu-ray combo and the only difference is the size of the box and the gray or blue color, and people buy both versions? Or do you mean people who buy the same movie each time it's released, like TLK on VHS, then DVD, then Blu-ray? If it's the latter (I'm one of those people), then it's because I like owning my favorite movies on the format that I am favoring at the time. If there's a new format by the next time those movies are released, then I'm sure people will be buying them again (if they've "converted" at the time).
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
ajmrowland wrote: i havent exactly followed up on dc news but those are strong accusations.
Stop defending her, please!
When was i defending her? i was being logical and unbiased.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:Yeah that is one appealing disc! And what's crazy is that as pretty as it is, they still went ahead and made the DVD version crap. It doesn't even have the reused audio commentary, it only has the 20 min Don Hahn featurette and nothing else.
the new dvds havent reused bonuses since Sleeping Beauty.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

<iframe src="http://blip.tv/play/AYLahAgC.html" width="480" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://a.blip.tv/api.swf#AYLahAgC"></embed>
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Of course, some might argue that The Walt Disney Company has now gone too far. From the scene where Pecos Bill first rolls and then smokes a cigarette in 1948's Melody Time which has since been cut out of any subsequent DVD & Blu-ray release of this anthology feature to that time where Disney -- at great expense -- reframed several scenes in The Lion King (So that -- when the VHS version of this 1994 theatrical release finally hit store shelves -- the hyenas who were parading in front of Scar in that animated feature's "Be Prepared" number wouldn't look quite so much like Nazi stormtroopers passing in review for Hitler), that the Mouse is making too big an effort these days to be PC.
Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hill/ ... tml?ref=tw

:o I didn't know that.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

when the villains are being censored, you know they've gone too far.
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

Sotiris wrote:
Of course, some might argue that The Walt Disney Company has now gone too far. From the scene where Pecos Bill first rolls and then smokes a cigarette in 1948's Melody Time which has since been cut out of any subsequent DVD & Blu-ray release of this anthology feature to that time where Disney -- at great expense -- reframed several scenes in The Lion King (So that -- when the VHS version of this 1994 theatrical release finally hit store shelves -- the hyenas who were parading in front of Scar in that animated feature's "Be Prepared" number wouldn't look quite so much like Nazi stormtroopers passing in review for Hitler), that the Mouse is making too big an effort these days to be PC.
Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hill/ ... tml?ref=tw
Hmm...I don't know about that...obviously my memory is fuzzy from the original theatrical version versus the VHS version but that seems a bit far-fetched. If Disney wanted to eliminate the Hitler comparison wouldn't they just change those shots completely? There's no denying it in the prints of Lion King you see these days...how much more "extreme" could it have been?
January 6, 2009 - Met Stephen Schwartz
September 4, 2009 - Met Tom Hulce
September 18, 2009 - Met Miley Cyrus
August 3, 2011 - Met John Musker
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

I'm going to see the Lion King 3D tomorrow, finally! :)
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Has anyone mentioned the Lion King's missing clouds on DMR's facebook? That might be a good way to bring it to their attention. It was said they get back to you fairly quickly.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

monorail91 wrote:
Hmm...I don't know about that...obviously my memory is fuzzy from the original theatrical version versus the VHS version but that seems a bit far-fetched. If Disney wanted to eliminate the Hitler comparison wouldn't they just change those shots completely? There's no denying it in the prints of Lion King you see these days...how much more "extreme" could it have been?
I agree with you. If this was really the case we certainly would have heard about it before now. It would have been mentioned in the Platinum Edition thread for sure and would have been mentioned here already.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Don Hahn Interview: The Lion King, Disney, Pixar, Frankenweenie and the Future of Animation
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/1117843 ... ation.html
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

The_Iceflash wrote:I agree with you. If this was really the case we certainly would have heard about it before now. It would have been mentioned in the Platinum Edition thread for sure and would have been mentioned here already.
Not many people realize this but Scar's original design had a very distinctive mustache.

(This should go without saying but yes, Im kidding)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New Interviews (for UK Release)
http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/ ... p?IID=1382

Don Hahn Talks 'The Lion King', 'Frankenweenie' and Making Hand-Drawn Films in 3D.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/11/06/ ... ons-in-3d/
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

The Lion King: Diamond Edition.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

And they say Americans don't understand irony.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

2099net wrote:The Lion King: Diamond Edition.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No seriously, I don't get it.
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

PatrickvD wrote:
2099net wrote:The Lion King: Diamond Edition.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Must be that British humor. :lol:
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

The_Iceflash wrote:
PatrickvD wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must be that British humor. :lol:
Haha I'm in the same boat... I seriously sat here and thought and thought about it. I don't get it.