Doctor Who Discussion

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Doctor Who Discussion

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Even though the latest series is going to end quite soon, I'm curious as to whether there are fellow fans of this wonderful British sci-fi TV series, as well as their theories for what will happen to the Doctor this coming Saturday night. :)
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I only started watching last year with Matt Smith's first episode, but its easily become one of my favorite shows. I've went back and watched the other seasons starting with Eccleson's 9th Doctor (who should have had more than 1 season in my opinion). Haven't had a chance to watch any Classic Who yet.

Anyway the 2nd half to this season has had its ups and downs for me, but I'm really interested to see how it "ends" on Saturday.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

DarthPrime wrote: Eccleson's 9th Doctor (who should have had more than 1 season in my opinion).
Lots of people thought that. It was he however who said "I'm not enjoying this. Write me out for when my contracts up".

-Skyler
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

JiminyCrick91 wrote:
DarthPrime wrote: Eccleson's 9th Doctor (who should have had more than 1 season in my opinion).
Lots of people thought that. It was he however who said "I'm not enjoying this. Write me out for when my contracts up".

-Skyler
I heard that. He also said he wouldn't show up if they did a Multiple Doctor story, or something else for the 50th Anniversary.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

DarthPrime wrote:Haven't had a chance to watch any Classic Who yet.
If you've enjoyed the modern seasons a great deal, you might be a tad disappointed with the older stories. The one 'Classic Who' stories you should watch is 'The Three Doctors'; if you like it, you'll like other older episodes, if you don't, then you may not like other older episodes. I haven't seen even half of the 'Classic Who' episodes, but those that I have seen are rather dated and some can be a bit dull.
Darth Prime wrote:Anyway the 2nd half to this season has had its ups and downs for me, but I'm really interested to see how it "ends" on Saturday.
I concur with this statement entirely.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Tonight, there will be a highly-anticipated reference to a beloved and extremely old Doctor Who character, Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... sfeed=true

There's merely a few hours left until "The Wedding of River Song" airs on BBC1 and the Doctor meets his end. I can't wait, and the few clips shown on the official website have made me even more impatient for the end of this particular season. Who else will be watching?
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

I just finished watching the episode, and even though my expectations were raised high as usual, it was unequivocally an EXCELLENT episode. It was thrilling, surprising, funny, imaginative and whilst I had one tiny quibble with it, I no longer cared about that minor flaw by the time I found out how the Doctor survived being shot by River Song/the Astronaut by Lake Silencio. It was filled with some unexpected returning characters, all of which are my favourites: the hilarious Dorium, the authentically-portrayed Churchill and Charles Dickens portrayed briefly but memorably by the fantastic Simon Callow of Amadeus.

The opening was simply mind-blowing, and whilst the special effects used in it were the best, there were countless other great SFX moments(like when the Viking who lost a game of Live Chess fell down into the pit of sentient skulls).

Without a shadow of a doubt, however, the best part was the STUPENDOUS ending moments. I was quite worried that we'd never find out what the oldest question of time and space along with the Doctor's name is, but fortunately the more intriguing (in my opinion at least) was revealed...and it was proof that current showrunner and this episode's writer, Steven Moffat, is a God.

Along with all this, there was a heart-breaking moment where the Doctor tried to contact the Brigadier in order to have one last adventure with him before his death, but then learnt that the old Brigadier had died a few months ago. It was done incredibly well and was rather surprising too. I wonder if next series they'll do a similar tribute to Sarah Jane Smith, as the last SJA series with the late Elisabeth Sladen has not yet been broadcast.

This is easily one of the best Doctor Who episodes from this year, if not THE best. Virtually flawless, unforgettable and delightfully written, this is not to be missed even by a casual viewer of the show.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Less than four hours till North America starts to get it. :D

-Skyler
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

JiminyCrick91 wrote:Less than four hours till North America starts to get it. :D

-Skyler
It's certainly more than four hours now. What did you think of it?
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Bloody brillant. I keept looking at the clock thinking how can they get out of this? but as always Moffat pulled a rabbit out of his hat along with the kitchen sink!

-Skyler
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Finally watched the final, and it was great. Felt too short, like this should have been a 2 part episode or something. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

JiminyCrick91 wrote:

-Skyler
That's not true at all. They (RTD and Ecclestone) decided from the beginning that Ecclestone would only do it one season.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

KubrickFan wrote:
JiminyCrick91 wrote:Lots of people thought that. It was he however who said "I'm not enjoying this. Write me out for when my contracts up".

-Skyler
That's not true at all. They (RTD and Ecclestone) decided from the beginning that Ecclestone would only do it one season.
Not from the interviews I've read with him but perhaps it's a bit of both?

-Skyler
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

JiminyCrick91 wrote:
KubrickFan wrote: That's not true at all. They (RTD and Ecclestone) decided from the beginning that Ecclestone would only do it one season.
Not from the interviews I've read with him but perhaps it's a bit of both?

-Skyler
How can it be both already written in the contract and him wanting out later in the season? :D

I think I know what you mean. Some kind of clause to look at a season at a time, and just thought he didn't want to.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

So, Dr Who has been piquing my interest lately, but I'm not sure where to start. From what I understand, it's been going on since the sixties. That seems like a LOT of catching up to do, since I've never even seen one episode. If I do go about watching it, it's going to be a lot of work on my part (I don't have television stations). Is there a site you can watch episodes on after they air, perhaps?
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Linden wrote:So, Dr Who has been piquing my interest lately, but I'm not sure where to start. From what I understand, it's been going on since the sixties. That seems like a LOT of catching up to do, since I've never even seen one episode. If I do go about watching it, it's going to be a lot of work on my part (I don't have television stations). Is there a site you can watch episodes on after they air, perhaps?
Indeed it did start in the sixties (1963 to be exact), and it went on until 1989, when it was cancelled. There was an attempt at a revival/reboot in 1996 but that failed. However, it was brought back in 2005, and since then there has been a 13 episode series (and a Christmas special) every year except in 2009, when only four specials were shown (one at Easter, one at Christmas, etc.). The 6th series of what has been dubbed "New Who" by some fans had a large interval between Episodes 7 and 8, and only a few weeks ago the 13th episode was broadcast. There will be a special on Christmas this year and Series 7 will start in Autumn 2012.

You don't really need to watch any episodes from 1963-1989; I would suggest you either start with Rose, Episode 1 of the Series 1 of "New Who", or The Eleventh Hour, Episode 1 of Series 5 for "New Who." Series 1 doesn't start from scratch and it is technically a continuation of past series, but it doesn't reference previous series and the cast and crew acted like its audience was completely new to Doctor Who.

The first episode of Series 5 can be a little confusing for those who haven't watched the previous four series, but nonetheless it is mostly understandable for those who are new to the show.

I think that the best site to watch these episodes is Dailymotion. If you do get around to watching any episodes, tell me what you think of them. :)
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:
Linden wrote:So, Dr Who has been piquing my interest lately, but I'm not sure where to start. From what I understand, it's been going on since the sixties. That seems like a LOT of catching up to do, since I've never even seen one episode. If I do go about watching it, it's going to be a lot of work on my part (I don't have television stations). Is there a site you can watch episodes on after they air, perhaps?
Indeed it did start in the sixties (1963 to be exact), and it went on until 1989, when it was cancelled. There was an attempt at a revival/reboot in 1996 but that failed. However, it was brought back in 2005, and since then there has been a 13 episode series (and a Christmas special) every year except in 2009, when only four specials were shown (one at Easter, one at Christmas, etc.). The 6th series of what has been dubbed "New Who" by some fans had a large interval between Episodes 7 and 8, and only a few weeks ago the 13th episode was broadcast. There will be a special on Christmas this year and Series 7 will start in Autumn 2012.

You don't really need to watch any episodes from 1963-1989; I would suggest you either start with Rose, Episode 1 of the Series 1 of "New Who", or The Eleventh Hour, Episode 1 of Series 5 for "New Who." Series 1 doesn't start from scratch and it is technically a continuation of past series, but it doesn't reference previous series and the cast and crew acted like its audience was completely new to Doctor Who.

The first episode of Series 5 can be a little confusing for those who haven't watched the previous four series, but nonetheless it is mostly understandable for those who are new to the show.

I think that the best site to watch these episodes is Dailymotion. If you do get around to watching any episodes, tell me what you think of them. :)
Thanks for that. :) On second thought, I don't feel comfortable watching the show online, but I searched my library system and found I can put a hold on season 1 of Series 5. The library system is down tonight for maintenance, but I'll put a hold on it soon and tell you what I think. I think I'll like it, though, as long as I don't hope for too much. I keep seeing Doctor Who quotes and gifs floating around on Tumblr, and it seems right up my alley.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I think Series 5 is a good start. That's the series I started with, and I wasn't that confused. I have went back and watched Series 1 - 4 and the Specials. I've also watched the Movie featuring the 8th Doctor, but none of the Classic Series... yet.

All the new Series are great, but I still recommend people start with Series 5/Matt Smith. Its the easiest way to get into the show, without watching a lot of stuff.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Regarding "Classic Who" well, you could start at the beginning - An Unearthly Child. But perhaps you should watch Remembrance of the Daleks first to see what The Doctor was up to before he kidnapped Ian and Barbara. Oh, but that has Daleks in it and you won't know what they are. So perhaps watch Genesis of the Daleks first to see how the Daleks were created and be introduced to Davros. Oh, but that has the Time Lords in it. So perhaps you should watch The War Games first for an introduction to the Time-Lords. But that ends with a regeneration, so perhaps you should get the Lost In Time collection of orphan episodes and watch as much of The Tenth Planet as you can for the first regeneration...

... my point being that like any long running series or sequence of stories, the show has built up a vast mythology. But generally, the mythology isn't that important. Even in the much abused 80's knowing the series' past wasn't that important. The 20th Anniversary had a returning character, concept or creature in each of its stories, but the ratings didn't really suffer. Everything you need to know is more or less explained in the episodes.

And that's especially true in "New Who" as the revived 2005 series is known. When the Daleks are reintroduced, everything you need to know is quickly and effortlessly explained. Same with the re-introduction of Sarah Jane Smith (an old Companion) or UNIT.

And that's because the stories aren't about the past, they're still about the future. The Dalek is used to show how The Doctor could easily be as ruthless and prejudiced as his oldest, most dangerous foes. The reintroduction of Sarah Jane is really a story about Rose and her inevitable future where her relationship with The Doctor will have to end. And UNIT is used in an "invasion of Earth" type story as nothing more than colourful background concept and a quick way of getting The Doctor involved.

But that's not to say that there are some threads in the New Series that don't reward consistent viewing. Russell's five years of showrunning play up heavily the concept of the Time War and The Tenth Doctor bows out with what is clearly intended as the conclusion to that thread. Bad Wolf is used beyond just the first season's arc. Rose's dead father becomes important later. All of The Doctor's companions have their own story and character development - especially Donna, which won't be as effective or emotional if you don't follow the whole story.

So I recommend you start with the 2005 series. Enjoy the new mythology being introduced. Gasp with Rose the first time you see inside the TARDIS. Watch as The Doctor shows fear for the first time when locked in a room with a Dalek. Watch Rose go back in time and try to save her father's life and fail. See how the Doctor's influence changes a time travelling con man calling himself Captain Jack. And finally watch The Doctor twice be willing to sacrifice his life to save Rose, leading to his death and rebirth as the Tenth Doctor.

And that's just a fraction of the events in the first 13 episodes. All important moments, and all moments that will have some impact and consequence later in the revised series.

Just remember, they were still finding their feet when the new series started, and the quality is somewhat mixed. But once you get to the latter half of the season, and especially once you get to the Tenth Doctor's era you'll be watching a confident series where no concept is too big, outlandish or audacious to include. And that results in a witty, emotional and unpredictable TV programme.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Prince Charming 12
Gold Classic Collection

Old vs New

Post by Prince Charming 12 »

It is a daunting task to review 26 seasons of the now dubbed -"Classic Dr. Who". I would agree that a new viewer does not need to go back in time and watch the classic series to understand the current series, but do not dismiss it entirely. For the new series to even exist today, the former had to already have established it as one of the best sci-fi programs ever!

Of course the special effects will not match up to today's standards and we history buffs of the old series know all to well about the limited production budget, but rather watch it grow and develop with each passing year. Just like the new series, you will find stories that you like and dislike all focusing on our favorite timelord.

If you can't start all the way back or you just want to jump around, I would recommend watching the 4th Doctor - one of my favorites!

Have fun!
Remember the Magic!