Star Wars Saga Blu Ray set confirmed to be in the works

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I just went to the deleted scenes sections on the bonus discs. I'll watch the rest of it later but I've been waiting a very long time to see some of those so that was the most important thing for me.

Some of them I didn't know about, most I did. It was amazing to see those Wampa scenes for the first time. There were a few things not included, maybe they didn't have presentable footage of them, I don't know. I've seen pictures from them, a couple include:

Luke, Han and Leia walking through the Death Star trying to hide their weapons and looking nonchalant.

Luke's Bacta mask scene in ESB.

Yakface fight in Jabba's Sail Barge with C-3PO inbetween the two aliens fighting.

General Madine cheering after blowing up some Imperials in space.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Those sections aren't complete. Thank goodness, I am glad that you watched those, but watching the Bonus Discs from the beginning they show almost twice more than just clicking on the deleted sections.

You will be amazed at how many of the scenes you are missing by not watching the discs from scene 1.

Thanks Maerj, I do appreciate that reply. I guess I am one of the few who just click on "Play All" and sit back and relax and watch. All of the explanations about the 'deleted or extended' scenes are explained a lot more fully when you watch them the way I do.

I went back to Disc One and just clicked on deleted scenes, and there are way more scenes that are added when you watch from the beginning. So I hope you choose to do that soon, and then can join with me and say how much better, and how complete all of the Bonus features are.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Finished watching all 9 discs & love this set. My favorite feature on a bonus features disc is "play all". Really enjoyed discs 8 & 9 & totally agree with dvdjunkie about this being the best way to watch the deleted scenes. I also watched them by themselves but the play all is the best way to go. The feaures on disc 9 are well worth watching too.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

dvdjunkie wrote:Those sections aren't complete. Thank goodness, I am glad that you watched those, but watching the Bonus Discs from the beginning they show almost twice more than just clicking on the deleted sections.

You will be amazed at how many of the scenes you are missing by not watching the discs from scene 1.

Thanks Maerj, I do appreciate that reply. I guess I am one of the few who just click on "Play All" and sit back and relax and watch. All of the explanations about the 'deleted or extended' scenes are explained a lot more fully when you watch them the way I do.

I went back to Disc One and just clicked on deleted scenes, and there are way more scenes that are added when you watch from the beginning. So I hope you choose to do that soon, and then can join with me and say how much better, and how complete all of the Bonus features are.
Oh okay, I will have to check that out, thanks for that info. I have a 3 year old and I don't get a lot of time to watch things anymore, plus I was very excited to see those scenes so I went for it. I had to watch them with our three year old jumping on me and basically acting like a nut, lol, so I will have to check everything out when I get the chance. ::sigh:: When I get the chance...
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZbV5hn_ET0U" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Is it right to disrespect someone for buying the complete saga on Blu-ray? Because, apparently, some jerk on YouTube told that to me and claimed that I got it because I preferred the "butchered" versions of the original trilogy to the pre-Special Edition ones.

Okay, seriously, what kind of stupid reason is that?! I didn't get it because I hated the pre-special editions, and I most certainly didn't get it because George Lucas threatened me to get it with a gun pointed to my head! I got the Blu-ray out of my own free will, because I was happy to know that the movies would finally be hitting Blu-ray!

Yes, I SAW the pre-special edition versions of the Star Wars trilogy. Hell, I even have the VHS's of them, and have had them long before the trilogy hit DVD. But do you see ME complaining that they're not on the Blu-rays, let alone about the whole "Who shot first" issues or the matter of Hayden Christensen being put into the end of Return of the Jedi? No! You see, bitching and moaning about the matter isn't gonna get the pre-SE's on Blu-ray any sooner! Some people should at least be happy that George Lucas released them onto DVD, even if they're non-anamorphic widescreen!

Really, if some people really WERE fans of Star Wars, they wouldn't waste their time and breath complaining... :x
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Don't read too much into people's comments on youtube or yahoo. It's pointless and the people who post rude comments a phrase comes to my mind....You Can't Fix Stupid
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

DisneyJedi wrote:Is it right to disrespect someone for buying the complete saga on Blu-ray? Because, apparently, some jerk on YouTube told that to me and claimed that I got it because I preferred the "butchered" versions of the original trilogy to the pre-Special Edition ones.

Okay, seriously, what kind of stupid reason is that?! I didn't get it because I hated the pre-special editions, and I most certainly didn't get it because George Lucas threatened me to get it with a gun pointed to my head! I got the Blu-ray out of my own free will, because I was happy to know that the movies would finally be hitting Blu-ray!

Yes, I SAW the pre-special edition versions of the Star Wars trilogy. Hell, I even have the VHS's of them, and have had them long before the trilogy hit DVD. But do you see ME complaining that they're not on the Blu-rays, let alone about the whole "Who shot first" issues or the matter of Hayden Christensen being put into the end of Return of the Jedi? No! You see, bitching and moaning about the matter isn't gonna get the pre-SE's on Blu-ray any sooner! Some people should at least be happy that George Lucas released them onto DVD, even if they're non-anamorphic widescreen!

Really, if some people really WERE fans of Star Wars, they wouldn't waste their time and breath complaining... :x
The pre-Special Editions? Are you kidding? What about referring them as the "original versions"?
And yeah, I'm a huge fan of Star Wars, but those altered, butchered versions that Lucas released on Blu-ray aren't the movies I love. Quietly buying the altered versions won't make the originals be released sooner (and in proper quality, not those ancient Laserdisc masters).
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

KubrickFan wrote:Quietly buying the altered versions won't make the originals be released sooner.
And neither is complaining that they're not on the Blu-ray, let alone the matter of the "Who shot first", Hayden Christensen being put in Return of the Jedi, Vader's big Noo in the same movie, etc.

Like I said, I've seen the original versions, but you don't hear ME complaining that they're not on the Blu-ray. Because I'm open-minded.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

disneyboy20022 wrote:<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZbV5hn_ET0U" frameborder="0"></iframe>
If I could remix videos, I'd dub this over it (at the 13 sec mark...)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pFlcqWQVVuU" frameborder="0"></iframe>

With the kids reaction to Empire Strikes Back, I wonder, did he watch it starting at Episode IV or Episode I? If he started with Episode I, then he's kinda stupid. :roll:
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Barbossa wrote:With the kids reaction to Empire Strikes Back, I wonder, did he watch it starting at Episode IV or Episode I? If he started with Episode I, then he's kinda stupid. :roll:
IV-V-I-II-III-VI, that's the way to do it.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

DisneyJedi wrote: And neither is complaining that they're not on the Blu-ray, let alone the matter of the "Who shot first", Hayden Christensen being put in Return of the Jedi, Vader's big Noo in the same movie, etc.

Like I said, I've seen the original versions, but you don't hear ME complaining that they're not on the Blu-ray. Because I'm open-minded.
Oh, come on. Those are ridiculous changes, made by someone who cannot leave well alone. George Lucas made his final versions, he said, in 1997, and yet in 2004 there were more changes, and in 2011 even more.
If saying that the movies were better before he started to add an awful looking CGI Jabba, blinking Ewoks and Hayden Christensen in Return of the Jedi, is me being close minded, then so be it. I've had enough of his crap, and won't buy any Blu-ray versions of Star Wars movies, unless the original versions (you know, the ones that were the box office successes and won Academy Awards) are released.

And how is lambasting those that don't have your view, being open minded?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

KubrickFan wrote: If saying that the movies were better before he started to add an awful looking CGI Jabba, blinking Ewoks and Hayden Christensen in Return of the Jedi, is me being close minded, then so be it. I've had enough of his crap, and won't buy any Blu-ray versions of Star Wars movies, unless the original versions (you know, the ones that were the box office successes and won Academy Awards) are released.

And how is lambasting those that don't have your view, being open minded?
I didn't SAY that the newer versions are better, damn it!!! Get that through your thick skull!!!!!! :x

Okay, maybe I like the newer celebration music in the end of ROTJ better than I did with the original (Yes, the Ewok chant celebration in the original one was good, but the newer one, well, seemed to fit a bit better.), and I thought it was a good idea for them to shift briefly to other worlds like Bespin, Tattooine, Naboo and Coruscant. To be honest, it helps to know that the Rebel Alliance aren't the only ones celebrating the Empire's downfall.

Also, I am happy that Lucas put into A New Hope the scene where Han and Jabba have a talk. Plus, I did like how he did enhance the Battle of Yavin. But that's pretty much it. Other changes I have raised an eyebrow to, but did I throw a tizzy fit about them? Maybe, but I got over them!
Disney Live On
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Live On »

Disney Jedi love ya to bits but you get very hot headed sometimes. Just let it go. This is a very touchy subject for a lot of people. I am in agreement with you but some people do take things the wrong way. Best idea is to not antagonise and walk away from the computer cause otherwise you just get angry and write things people will respond to badly. (Just saying).
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

SpringHeelJack wrote:
Why don't you just watch it in the order that they were released? Starting with A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and then watching The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith?
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

SpringHeelJack wrote:IV-V-I-II-III-VI, that's the way to do it.
Not a bad way to view. The prequels serve as a flashback in this order with Jedi wrapping it all up.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

DisneyJedi wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote:
Why don't you just watch it in the order that they were released? Starting with A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, and then watching The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith?
Because this way is better.

I find that viewing the prequels after the OT makes them feel a little like an afterthought, whereas watching them I-VI spoils too many events of the OT. This way functions as a sort of flashback about Anakin Skywalker after Vader reveals that he is Luke's father. Theoretically, this way a viewer would go into the PT not being totally sure if Vader is Anakin, which leaves his ultimate destiny slightly more in the air. Additionally, I feel that the discover of Leia's true parentage works better if you see it in ROTS, i.e. how no one realizes Padme is carrying twins until the end of the movie, then you figure out who Luke's sister is once she names them. Additionally, I feel ROTJ works better as a closing to the saga than ROTS does because ROTJ ends on the positive note that the series needs whereas ROTS ends on a hopeful but ultimately ambiguous if not defeated tone.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

DisneyJedi wrote: I didn't SAY that the newer versions are better, damn it!!! Get that through your thick skull!!!!!! :x
Get it through yours that I didn't say you did, either. Maybe a teensy bit less caffeine next time? Relax a little.
DisneyJedi wrote: Okay, maybe I like the newer celebration music in the end of ROTJ better than I did with the original (Yes, the Ewok chant celebration in the original one was good, but the newer one, well, seemed to fit a bit better.), and I thought it was a good idea for them to shift briefly to other worlds like Bespin, Tattooine, Naboo and Coruscant. To be honest, it helps to know that the Rebel Alliance aren't the only ones celebrating the Empire's downfall.
See, for me that's yet another awful change. It seems highly unlikely that a few hours after a battle, the entire galaxy would be celebrating. What, was every single member of the Empire on that fleet? I highly doubt that. The original version gave a celebration, while still having the notion that the battle was far from over.
DisneyJedi wrote: Also, I am happy that Lucas put into A New Hope the scene where Han and Jabba have a talk. Plus, I did like how he did enhance the Battle of Yavin. But that's pretty much it. Other changes I have raised an eyebrow to, but did I throw a tizzy fit about them? Maybe, but I got over them!
So you did become angry, but not anymore? So how is that any different from what other fans are doing? I'm sorry, but it seems a bit hypocritical.
And I'm glad for you that you can enjoy them. I wish I could do the same.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

If any of you 'moaners and groaners' would listen to any interviews with George Lucas, before the Special Editions came out, or on the Bonus Discs of the Blu-ray set, you would know that the original releases of A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were way ahead of what was available in the way of Special Effects when they were made.

Lucas explains the changes on the VHS Special Editions prior to each movie, and when you then watch the film, it becomes a lot more enjoyable (at least for me) and I never watch the movies out of order, any more.

I used to watch them the way SpringHeelJack suggests: IV, V, I, II, III, VI, but now watching them in the correct order with those MINOR changes in OT the story is more complete.

I think the major problem here is that those of you who never saw the original trilogy in a movie theater beginning in 1977, don't realize how far advanced special effects were thanks to George Lucas and his fledgling ILM company. After the OT during the re-releases to the theaters is when we got our first taste of the changes. When Lucas announced that he was going to go back and do Chapters One, Two and Three, it was a big challenge for him because of the advancement of SFX in the industry.

On the Special Edition VHS, and Standard DVD's, he introduces each one with notes on why he made the changes, and I have bought into that. Some of those changes grated on me for a while until the "new" chapters started coming out to the theater, and then I realized what Lucas was doing and I rolled with the flow to enjoy the complete Star Wars experience the way the creator had intended it.

Has he gone too far with the Blu-ray releases? You betcha!!! I'll be the first one to ask why the "NO!!........noooooooooooooo!!!" is in ROTJ, but there isn't anything we can do about it, it is truly George LUcas' vision of how he wanted the finished product to be seen.

We can all gripe about 'who shot first', or the creepy addition of Hayden Christianson in the final scenes of ROTJ, or the change in the closing music celebration. But what is done is done, and we all need to take our "happy pill" and be thankful that we finally got it all on Blu-ray, for a reasonable price.

If you own the Special Edition DVD's of the Original Trilogy, then you have the non-anamorphic version of the "original" movies to sit back and watch complete with 2.0 stereo, (add a little sarcasm here), and watching the OT on a Blu-ray player even "highlights" the flaws in the movies.

I will say I wish that George Lucas had given us anamorphic prints of the OT as a bonus feature on the Blu-ray trilogy, but when I watch the 'new' versions of all six movies, I am not the least bit distracted by the changes that have been made. I don't cheer them, but after listening to Lucas' explanation about them, I buy into it and enjoy the movies that much more.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

^Thank you! That's exactly what I've been trying to say!