Zac Efron Discussion

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Zac Efron Discussion

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

(Hopefully this counts as a 'Movies, Music & TV' thread, as it is about an actor).

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm a fan of Zac Efron. He may have become famous due to trash like High School Musical, but with Me & Orson Welles matured and his talent shone through. He was terrific in that near-masterpiece of a movie (not as good as Christian McKay, however) and despite my hate for HSM, it made me a fan of the actor. And in response to anyone who thinks he's just a worthless pretty boy: I may have agreed with you in the past, but Me & Orson Welles proved he's more than eye candy; secondly, he's no longer a boy (have you seen his biceps? Physically, he is 110% man). He has unequivocally matured into a capable and excellent performer.

Here's some news about this young, charismatic and charming actor:

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2011/09/17 ... gust-2012/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ds-newsxml
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

In the past, including here, I certainly criticized him. Looking back on it though, I think the thing that bugged me the most wasn't so much the man himself (I've never met him in person so I can't really judge him like that), but the product the media turned him into. He wasn't treated so much as an actor with skill, but more like a plastic toy that was deprived of personality and talent in order to be the most desirable thing to girls his age. Coupled with the lack of good movies and not being attracted to him for being too girly looking (again more the result of too much makeup, airbrushing and highlights on the part of marketing tools) and you can see why I think he didn't live up to the hype. Justin Bieber is the same thing now, except with even poorer talents and an even younger (looks like he's ten), more feminine appearance.

He was however good in Hairspray, but at the time the movie was treated like another accessory to the HSM craze and it was the only thing I could think of that he was good in, so it didn’t help too much.

Now thankfully that craze is finally over and he’s trying to be more than just a one-dimensional poster-boy. Me and Orson Wells was great and gave him something to do besides singing and dancing. Seeing him do a thriller type movie is also encouraging as is the sight of him getting better looking with age (and muscle mass). Hopefully he can develop into an actor that others can grow to like thanks to improving ability and worthwhile project choices. Charlie St. Cloud and New Years Eve, may not help though. :P

Edit: Another thing that bugged me regarding him in the past was the guessing game surrounding his orientation. It seemed to me to stem from the "pretty musical boy" image and came across as a lazy reinforcement of a stereotype and just made me dislike the way the Hollywood media/fans treated the "issue" that much more. I did however like Zac's reaction that was something along the lines of "if that's the worst thing they can make up about me, I'm fine with that".*

* I don't know if that's exactly how he said it, but I think it was something along those lines.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

bieber certainly looks a lot older than ten.

but yeah, effron's done pretty well as an actor. he just needs the movies. i liked 17 again though.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Since I kind of enjoyed HSM (in a guilty pleasure way) and I always thought Zac Efron was attractive, I was predisposed to be in his favor. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

The first movie I ever saw Zac in was Miracle Run, a TV movie my mom was watching on Lifetime (nobody say anything) and it introduced me to autism. I can’t remember if the movie was any good but Zac certainly left an impression on me. This considering my reaction to seeing the first printed ad for High School Musical in a magazine was: “Oh shit, it’s that autistic kid. I wonder how Disney will handle his spaz attacks on set?” I have to think my initial dislike for him was really with the image the media was giving him and not with the man himself (as Flanger-Hanger suggested), since I’ve never seen any of the High School Musicals and I don’t associate him with them. The only other movies I’ve seen him in were Hairspray and 17 Again. While I enjoyed him in both, I’m not sure he’s done that certain ‘unforgettable role’ just yet that will make me a fan.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

jpanimation wrote:The first movie I ever saw Zac in was Miracle Run, a TV movie my mom was watching on Lifetime (nobody say anything) and it introduced me to autism.
That's recently got on my 'Movies I want to see' list due to both Efron and also the subject matter.
jpanimation wrote:While I enjoyed him in both, I’m not sure he’s done that certain ‘unforgettable role’ just yet that will make me a fan.
You should definitely see him in Me and Orson Welles; he's truly terrific, and he's not even the best part (the wonderful Christian McKay is, seemingly channelling the very spirit of the titular Welles).
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

The only things I've seen him in are the HSM movies, 17 Again, and Hairspray.

I love Hairspray, and I thought he was excellent in it, as with 17 Again. I really need to see him in a serious film, so I can see how he handles it.

I don't think it's really fair to compare him to Justin Beiber, Beiber is a singer, Efron an actor.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Scarred4life wrote:I don't think it's really fair to compare him to Justin Beiber, Beiber is a singer, Efron an actor.
I meant that more from an image perspective.
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

Super Aurora wrote:[image]
I appreciate your reference, I want you to know.
"Good and bad are labels created by people. Nature doesn't have such concepts."
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Heartless wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:[image]
I appreciate your reference, I want you to know.
Only one person got it I see.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Super Aurora wrote:
Heartless wrote:I appreciate your reference, I want you to know.
Only one person got it I see.
Could you please explain it?
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:
Super Aurora wrote: Only one person got it I see.
Could you please explain it?
No.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Super Aurora wrote:No.
Oh, ha, ha, ha. :roll:
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

^ It's Light Yagami from the anime/manga Death Note.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Scarred4life wrote:^ It's Light Yagami from the anime/manga Death Note.
There's more to it than just that. That's why Heartless got it.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Super Aurora wrote:There's more to it than just that.
Yeah, I know, but I'm unsure of what you were trying to get at. Are you suggesting that you want to write Efron's name in the death note, that Light is like Efron, or what? :?
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Scarred4life wrote:^ It's Light Yagami from the anime/manga Death Note.
Thanks Scarred4Life. :)
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Scarred4life wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:There's more to it than just that.
Yeah, I know, but I'm unsure of what you were trying to get at. Are you suggesting that you want to write Efron's name in the death note, that Light is like Efron, or what? :?
Two things:
Efron look like Light to almost uncanny level.

added to fact that DN is one of Zac's favorite anime.

When the rumors of so called hollywood attempt to make a DN movie, first thing everyone said was Zac should play role of Light.

Hate explaining jokes.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Super Aurora wrote:Two things:
Efron look like Light to almost uncanny level.

added to fact that DN is one of Zac's favorite anime.

When the rumors of so called hollywood attempt to make a DN movie, first thing everyone said was Zac should play role of Light.
Thank you for explaining your joke.