Disney Is Remastering Song of the South - Possible Release?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Disney Is Remastering Song of the South - Possible Release?

Post by Sotiris »

Assuming this is true, doesn't it mean that they are planning on releasing the film on home video sooner or later? Or else why would they bother remastering it?
Brew commenter Egbert Souse writes in our comments that, "Disney is remastering Song of the South from the original negatives in 4K resolution. It’s not in the immediate pipeline for a Snow White or Bambi level restoration, but they’ll have complete digital files by the end of next year".
Source: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/song- ... -1499.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

Fingers crossed! And toes.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I really hope this happens. 2016 will be the 70th Anniversary (I think). Plenty of time to get it ready before then, but hopefully we want have to wait that long if they are going to release it.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

This could be it! :D
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I could see why they would want to restore it. Controversial or not, it is one of the most iconic films of the 40s.

I don't think this means it's going to be released any time soon though.
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so exciting, I'm gonna peeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I get the feeling that this restoration is being done more for the sake of preservation than for a possible upcoming commercial release. But who knows?
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

It would mean that Bob Iger has done a huge u-turn since March when he said:
We almost got through the meeting! I thought you were going to say it’s the 60th anniversary of Peter Pan, I was kind of hoping for that. I said last year at our shareholder’s meeting that I had watched Song of the South again and, even though we’ve considered from time to time bringing it back, I didn’t think it was the right thing for the company to do. It was made in a different time. Admittedly you could use that as context, but I just felt that there are elements to the film, while it was a relatively good film, that wouldn’t necessarily sit right or feel right to a number of people today. And, just felt that it wouldn’t be in the best interest of our shareholders to bring it back, even though there would be some financial gain. Sometimes you make sacrifices on the financial side to do what you believe is right and that’s an example of that.
I just don’t feel that it’s right for us to use company resources to make it available, whether it’s wide or whether it’s narrow… narrowly available. It’s a strong belief that I have— consulted with other top executives of the company. They all agreed, and I think, just remember it as it was, and don’t expect to see it again for… at least for awhile, if ever.
Considering how strongly he felt about Song of the South six months, I personally don't think we'll see the film anytime soon. I could be completely wrong but I don't see what could have changed his mind when he said not long ago that it was unlikely the film would ever be released on DVD or Blu Ray. Perhaps the pressure of the film's fans has gotten to him but it seems strange to me that he would sanction it now when he was so vehement in March.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

perhaps it'll get a world-wide release but not a US release due to sensitivity. It's not like they can't do that. Disney managed to release Dumbo everywhere but here.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

singerguy04 wrote:perhaps it'll get a world-wide release but not a US release due to sensitivity. It's not like they can't do that. Disney managed to release Dumbo everywhere but here.
Not that I'm advocating piracy, but a world-wide release EXCEPT in the US would essentially mean it was released in the US, for anyone that knows how to use a computer! 8)

Plus, if they did something like that, I (as a US citizen) wouldn't see anything wrong with some other hypothetical US citizen downloading it.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

littlefuzzy wrote:
singerguy04 wrote:perhaps it'll get a world-wide release but not a US release due to sensitivity. It's not like they can't do that. Disney managed to release Dumbo everywhere but here.
Not that I'm advocating piracy, but a world-wide release EXCEPT in the US would essentially mean it was released in the US, for anyone that knows how to use a computer! 8)

Plus, if they did something like that, I (as a US citizen) wouldn't see anything wrong with some other hypothetical US citizen downloading it.
Or people from the U.S could easily import the film, which is perfectly legal.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I get the feeling that this restoration is being done more for the sake of preservation than for a possible upcoming commercial release. But who knows?
Well, how often does that happen- especially with Disney?
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

because the last restoration effort was done for that reason and there's no keychest.
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

Where's Julian Assange when you need him
January 6, 2009 - Met Stephen Schwartz
September 4, 2009 - Met Tom Hulce
September 18, 2009 - Met Miley Cyrus
August 3, 2011 - Met John Musker
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I'd have a hard time believing they'd go to all that expense just to let it rot in the Disney Vault some more. I've heard not every film gets treated to restorations like that unless there is some kind of release being planed. Heck, some films don't even get that before they get released!

Releasing it everywhere else except the US would be a very back door approach to getting a legal release out there finally while keeping PC Us political happy. Who know though? I personally hope it ends up in a US release with a bunch of extras stressing a modern message to the view. That would be idea for all involved I think. Well see, time will tell!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

I know the Treasures series is long gone, but I thought it was fantastic speculation that it would be released as part of that series. Maybe it was just me, but the Treasures series had a more historical feel than typical Disney DVD releases, so I feel like it'd be easier for Disney to market it as an important milestone, and distinguished from its regular films, rather than just another reissue.
January 6, 2009 - Met Stephen Schwartz
September 4, 2009 - Met Tom Hulce
September 18, 2009 - Met Miley Cyrus
August 3, 2011 - Met John Musker
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Lazario wrote: Well, how often does that happen- especially with Disney?
What ajmrowland said.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

Sotiris wrote:Or people from the U.S could easily import the film, which is perfectly legal.
Assuming the disc would play on a Region 1 NTSC player.

Most Americans* haven't messed with the time and expense to get a player that has multi-region capability.

Plus, it would kind of be a dick move for Disney (an American company, sure, with world wide branches), to release SotS (an American film) everywhere BUT America, which is presumably where the largest group of fans are clamoring to see it.

Why should an American consumer jump through hoops to give one of Disney's foreign branches money?

*Note, I am using America to refer to North America, and specifically the USA, although many of these statements might apply to Canadians as well (and possibly Latin America.) No offense is meant towards any citizen of any country on the North and South American continents. On the other hand, USA is the only COUNTRY that includes America as part of it's name (that I'm aware of), and it's citizens are routinely called Americans. Given the dislike for Americans in the rest of the world, I'm not sure why a Canadian or someone from Central or South America would want to be labeled as an "American", instead of proudly declaring themselves to be Canadian, Mexican, Brazilian, etc.
Angeldude98
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Angeldude98 »

Oh! Good Gosh! I do hope this is true! I absolutely love that film. I managed to get a VHS copy of the British release, as well as a converted tape. I also have 3 DVD copies of it that I bought online (Granted, they are bootlegs off of the laserdisc, but they are very good quality, especially the last one I got - hence why I have so many - I was trying to get a better copy).

Anyway, I don't see what the big fuss is about it. I don't see anything bad or racist or damaging in it. It's a 1946 Disney Animated film for heaven's sake! I tell you, I'm sooooo sick and tired of America's super PC culture... whatever happened to freedom of speech? Back when SOTS was made, people called everything what it is. It was genuine! I for one would like to see SOTS released so we can be given the CHOICE of whether to buy it or not. Those that want it can get it, and those that scream bloody murder at it, can just ignore it!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

littlefuzzy wrote:
Why should an American consumer jump through hoops to give one of Disney's foreign branches money?

I'm not saying this will or will not happen. In fact, I have no idea. However, if Disney were to pull an international release but not in the USA move for this film, it would purely be to save face. They could tell fans that their is in fact an official release and then wash their hands of it when the the PC police start complaining.

I like the idea of making it part of the re-birth of the "Disney Treasures" DVD's.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney