Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom

Post by SillySymphony »

Original Post: Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Coming to Walt Disney World
Today, we’re thrilled to share plans for a new role-playing adventure coming to Walt Disney World called Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom. This is going to be fun – and it’s all happening inside the park. Merlin the magician will recruit guests to become apprentice sorcerers and then help them with maps and clues that show where and how to defeat an army of Disney villains.

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is scheduled to debut in early 2012.
Concept Art:
Image Image
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

:| :roll: :headshake:

Honestly Disney, I understand that Harry kinda scares you but maybe you should try to focus on something completely different so you can avoid being accused of trying to copy his success.

It's not as if you don't have a HUGE catalogue to choose from.

Now, if there is a promise for a lot of new villain merchandise with this new idea then you'll hear no complaints from me what so ever! :D
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Sounds kool. I always thought the Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure was neat, even if I never took part, as it added an element of interactivity to the park without disturbing the theming.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Re: Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

SillySymphony wrote:Image
Is that the Magic Mirror from Snow White?
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Is Play-Tested at Walt Disney World
(Originally posted on the DisneyParks Blog on Nov. 8th, 2011.)
Watch carefully over the coming days and you may see people casting spells in Adventureland[...]

Early next year, Disney Guests become the heroes in this role-playing trading-card game as they try to defeat the Disney Villains who are working to take over the Magic Kingdom. Armed with magic spells in the form of special cards, players must search for the magic symbols that lead them to the animated villains’ hiding places. By casting different magical spell cards, these Sorcerers can do battle with Yzma, Kronk and other ne’er do wells hiding throughout the land. From fireballs to frantic frogs and cyclones, there are spells to bring down each and every villain, with a simple flick of the wrist.

The game will be included in park admission.
Of all villains to mention why Yzma and Kronk? Kronk just personifies evil I guess.
Never was big at trading-cards. I tried, it wasn't my niche. Now, interactive cards sound fun.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

I'd try it at least once, it's free. The Kim Possible Adventure Epcot was really cool, I did that one twice. I love it when they have hidden things in the parks. This looks like it may be for younger kids but I will have to see more of it before making a final decision on this.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

SillySymphony wrote:Of all villains to mention why Yzma and Kronk? Kronk just personifies evil I guess.
I know right?! But it may be because Yzma's a scorceress and Kronk was her assistant.

I would LOVE to play this, but it may seem too weird for an adult to do it...? : (
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

SillySymphony wrote:Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Is Play-Tested at Walt Disney World
(Originally posted on the DisneyParks Blog on Nov. 8th, 2011.)
Watch carefully over the coming days and you may see people casting spells in Adventureland[...]

Early next year, Disney Guests become the heroes in this role-playing trading-card game as they try to defeat the Disney Villains who are working to take over the Magic Kingdom. Armed with magic spells in the form of special cards, players must search for the magic symbols that lead them to the animated villains’ hiding places. By casting different magical spell cards, these Sorcerers can do battle with Yzma, Kronk and other ne’er do wells hiding throughout the land. From fireballs to frantic frogs and cyclones, there are spells to bring down each and every villain, with a simple flick of the wrist.

The game will be included in park admission.
Of all villains to mention why Yzma and Kronk? Kronk just personifies evil I guess.
Never was big at trading-cards. I tried, it wasn't my niche. Now, interactive cards sound fun.
OMG YES! FINALLY! It was about time Empeeor's New Grrobe hits back in the parks!!!
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Got more details on gameplay and the technology
http://disneyprojects.com/2011/12/01/fi ... -overview/

Louis from Princess and the Frog is among the non-villains playing a role and we got video of Dr. Facilier
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

This has some footage for TENG characters!

First Video of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom in Action
http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/8315
(via disneyreport.com)
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

You know, it would of been perfect for a kids game show for Disney Channel. Yes I'm thinking Nickelodeon game shows in the past, but it might just work. In the meantime, I can't wait to see what it looks like.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I think this looks kind of neat ! Excited to see more. ...

I can see why Disney picked those two villains, they work well together. Can't really think of another 'villain' duo who are amusing and a bit creepy.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Can't really think of another 'villain' duo who are amusing and a bit creepy.
I think Madame Medusa and Mr. Snoops from The Rescuers might fall into that category; both a quite funny but there is definitely a sinister side to them considering they abduct an orphaned girl and use her to try and find a diamond, almost drowning her and threatening her with a shotgun in the process.

I like the concept behind this game; I love the Villains and think they are badly under-utilised in the parks. I also love The Emperor's New Groove so seeing these two characters make an appearance at the Magic Kingdom is a good thing in my mind.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGFRxkvF ... xAbsNwFph2

This a video posted of the game. The technology is really good and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to play with a lot of different characters featured. From what I've read on WDW message boards, the game opened today and players are given 5 cards to begin playing with but there are 70 to collect so you could play it several without it getting repetitive.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Got more video. Pretty much all that's left is Cruella and the full endgame to show up.

OPening cutscene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcK_LC7hChs

Jafar (though missing the opening of that mission): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEHiCmMat9w

Maleficent's mission on Medium mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwftvz0YmO0

Ursula: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQDF3rn_ ... re=related

The complete Yzma mission: http://youtube.com/watch?v=wxx5cPS9vMM

Ratcliffe: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bmbQgW1szw4

The complete Dr. Facilier mission: http://youtube.com/watch?v=h3go1tOSi68

Scar: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IJW4EOJWqDo

The ending: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6pNiU95QrBQ
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

Walt Disney World Resort Guests Hold the Power With Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Cards
Posted on 1/30/12 by DisneyParks Blog

Excerpts from article in random order –
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom will debut in late February and is included in the cost of theme park admission.

According to the game’s developers, the cards really are the secret weapons of the game. There will be 70 different spell cards available and guests will receive five complimentary cards when they play. Each card features a different Disney character that offers a spell unique to him or her. Guests can use more than one card simultaneously, casting multiple spells at a villain at one time.

Some of the cards you may encounter include:

Image Image Image Image Image
[Click on a thumbnail to view large size]

For more information on trading cards and role-playing game go to above link.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I have not played the game yet, but I have seen the videos and read many impressions about it.

This is something I both enjoy and at the same time can't help but think it is somewhat flawed. I enjoy it because the concept itself is really neat. I like that we get brand new animation and storylines. I like that we get to see our favorite characters crossover into other universes. I also really like the cards that they give out. Finally, I enjoy how it is incorporated throughout various locales at the Magic Kingdom. It really makes it feel like you are entering a small part of the realm and you see your favorite Disney universes through small windows on various places.

But on the other hand, it does seem to be a little too simple. You just go to the locale, point a card, go to the next place. Maybe it's because I am a gamer and I am used to games having rules, consequences and rewards, but it seems you get nothing out of it should you finish it, nor you lose anything should you skip it. It's just... there. I mean don't get me wrong it's great that there are many things to do at the park, and this is the most interesting of them all, and the cards are really cool. But this seems to be on par with the course in terms of making Disney World more "interactive".

Plus I hate to be cynical and negative, but I don't see families investing on this (and by investing I mean time). Let's be realistic for a minute... A typical family at the parks consists of two adults and maybe two or three kids. Kids often go with a specific goal in mind: meet a certain character, watch a certain show or ride a specific attraction. They can't stand walking around for long, and parents are often cranky because they have to walk, they have to stand around and have to take care of their kids. This game requires people to run around in circles just to watch short videos. Kids are going to grow impatient, and parents will want to get the day done as soon as possible.

In addition, I noticed that the video was VERY hard to watch on some places due to the glaring or because the place was too loud.

I think this is something hardcore Disney nerds will enjoy the most because they will likely spend a whole day playing this game and enjoying the Disney mythos being thrown at them. But a whole family? Like I said, maybe I am being cynical, I have not played the game, heck I haven't been to a Disney theme park so maybe it is more special than what videos make it out to be, maybe there is a charm to it that I am not seeing. Just that this seems to be a great idea but doesn't seem to add really significant to the experience, other than you did something at the park. At the very least it is optional so people can easily opt out of it it seems.
ImageImageImageImage

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I see what you're saying...maybe you're right.

But you might be missing that the whole main point is it's supposed to be fun and enjoyable. That that in itself is the reward. That you visited your favorite worlds and talked to your favorite characters and felt like you defeated the villains with magic you did.

However, if it was done better, with more complex video game-like elements where you really have try hard and have good strategy or thinking to do the challenges and you get some reward like a scorcerer hat or a wand or a diploma with exclusive fantastic art, plus with better animation, that would be better, yea. Actually, do you get something, maybe they do get a diploma of some sort, which isn't as cool without exclusive art but it's something to feel good about that you got.

The animation actually really should be better in a lot of spots. Sometimes it look well-drawn and flows beautifully. Other times it's off-model and stiff. And other times it looks like it should be animated but it's not, or mouths should be moving but they're not. And there are times when the animation just isn't correct, to the models or the film. But when it's good, it's really something wonderful.

I also have a problem with the storyline's use of characters. It should be all magical beings. You know, scorcerers. Hades is not a magical being. He is a divine being. He is a god. He has spiritual powers, not magical powers. He shouldn't be the main villain causing all this by loking for magic jewels, and he shouldn't be able to be defeated by a mere mortal with mere magic. Unless it said your good soul made you able to defeat evil, which is really just getting too religious and a really bad idea.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

D23 Reports on Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Game
Original post by D23 on 02.15.12

Interesting details:
In this role-playing game, guests become apprentice sorcerers and embark on a challenge to stop these animated villains from stealing one of the four shattered pieces of Merlin’s powerful crystal ball. [...]

[...] Imagineers spent more than four years creating and perfecting this unique experience, which can be played in 15- to 20-minute segments throughout guests’ visits to the Magic kingdom, or continuously for up to three to four hours. More than 95 minutes of original animation was created for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom—the equivalent of a full-length animated film. [...]
Included in the post were photos of the cards, locations, etc. (visit photo gallery) and this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4BBOiT_Y-mA" frameborder="0"></iframe>