Beetlejuice 2

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Disney Duster wrote:It's not about one being animated and the other not, it's about the fact I have heard, seen, witnessed a different version of Beetlejuice and liked it, so there already has been another guy as Beetlejuice before and it was fine.
It is to me. And the other people in this thread.

There is a huge difference between saying another guy can't play Beetlejuice live action and saying yes, someone can, because there was an animated series. The original wasn't animated and this new film won't be either.

The animated series never factored into this conversation. That's important to note because your argument is that a new live-action movie where they replace the original actor is okay because someone else played the animated character. See where I'm going with this? The live-action movie and animated series are still completely separate. They're not connected. At all.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Well that is in your opinion, too.

But truthfully...there obviously are...um, similarities...between the movie called Beetlejuice and the series called...well...Beetlejuice...with the same character as the lead...just a different version of him...

And I can't believe you're making such a big deal over live-action vs. animation when Disney fans always bring up how it's not the medium but the story and characters that matters. The fact is a different version of Beetlejuice existed and I don't see anyone saying they hated him.

But I get your side, too, just don't completely ignore my side, please.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

If you think about it, Beetlejuice was filmed almost 25 years ago... Michael Keaton is 60! :o

I don't know what kind of shape he's in, but even if he's in great shape, I don't know that he could play Beetlejuice the same way that he did 24 years ago.

At this point (particularly if they are going for a prequel type of thing), I could see them getting a younger actor, who would either copy Keaton's style, or put his own spin on it.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Arnold Schwartzenegger(sp?) was able to play Terminator the same way for 25 years.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Plus Keaton would be cloaked under layers of makeup, so it shouldn't be too hard to make him look younger. Frankly, he doesn't even look sixty.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Wait a second... how did all this talk of Keaton reprising the role start exactly? Just in case anyone got the idea from my posts that I think it will only work with him in the role, let me be perfectly clear: I think the idea of a Beetlejuice follow-up in any capacity is a disaster and flat-out shouldn't happen.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Lazario wrote:Wait a second... how did all this talk of Keaton reprising the role start exactly? Just in case anyone got the idea from my posts that I think it will only work with him in the role, let me be perfectly clear: I think the idea of a Beetlejuice follow-up in any capacity is a disaster and flat-out shouldn't happen.
I agree with that as well, though Disney was able to make a successful sequel/follow up 20 years later - that is known as Tron Legacy

Though Beetlejuice prequel/sequel etc I'm not so positive about. If it's a full blown Remake like Arthur, I'll be staying away from this. I don't think this idea is a good one. However I'll wait for more details or a trailer to pass my final judgement, if it should even get that far and hopefully it won't.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

David Katzen­berg: We’re not remaking Beetlejuice. People have been very angry about that.

Seth Grahame-Smith: When Warner Bros. came to us about it, we said the only way we’d do it if we got Tim [Burton’s] blessing and involvement, and we got that, and the star of the movie has to be Michael Keaton as Beetlejuice, and it’s a true continuation 26 years later. Not just throwing him in as a cameo going, “Hey, it’s me. I endorse this movie.” We’re not there yet [with Keaton] because we don’t have a film to present to him.
Source: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/10/27/b ... -katzsmit/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Is it true that you're considering doing another "Beetlejuice" film?

Tim Burton: Yes. I love that character, and Michael [Keaton] is so great in it. I always think about how great and fun that character was, so I just said to Seth [Grahame-Smith], "If you have some idea about it, go for it, and then I'll look at it freshly." In the past, I tried some things, but that was way back when. He seemed really excited about it.

Q: Has he run any of his ideas by you yet?

Tim Burton: No. I told him to try some stuff, but he hasn't come back to me yet. Michael was so great in it. I'm sure he'd strangely tap right back into it.
Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/167714 ... enie.jhtml
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

By the way...turns out Tim Burton actually helped make and produce the animated Beetlejuice TV show...and that had a different person as Beetlejuice, but I think Tim Burton shows loves Keaton most as the character, and I admit if this is to be a sequel to the first one, it should be him.
LySs
Gold Classic Collection

Post by LySs »

If a sequel does happen, I wonder if they'll get Winona Ryder as well. She may be 40, but she still looks great. Especially in Black Swan.
Of course, if she IS in it, I don't expect the story to take place right after the first one.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Seth Grahame-Smith was asked about the latest on the project and to see how close the sequel was to becoming a reality.

"It's a reality in the sense that I met with Michael Keaton last week," Grahame-Smith told us. "We talked for a couple of hours and talked about big picture stuff. It's a priority for Warner Bros. It's a priority for Tim. Right now, I am writing an animated movie for Tim based on an idea of mine. Then I adapt Unholy Night [based on the upcoming book]. The third I am hoping is Beetlejuice in terms of writing schedule."

And what was Keaton's excitement level like?

"Huge," the writer added, "he's been wanting to do it for 20 years and he'll talk to anybody about it who will listen. I really told him, I have a huge reverence for Tim and a huge reverence for that film in general. I don't think we should do it if we shit on the legacy. He agrees. So, right now, it remains to be seen, I have a couple of story ideas, but we're very early out."
Source: http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/16 ... ers-update
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Seth Grahame-Smith Gives Update on "Beetlejuice" Sequel; Says Film Will Be a True Sequel Set 26 or 27 Years After the Original
http://collider.com/seth-grahame-smith- ... el/153065/
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Re: Beetlejuice 2

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Bumping this thread to give a (great) update!:

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/micha ... ing/325390

And could Winona Ryder be returning?!?!:
http://screencrush.com/beetlejuice-2-mi ... -original/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Michael Keaton In Talks To Return For ‘Beetlejuice 2’
https://fullcirclecinema.com/2020/05/24 ... lejuice-2/

‘Beetlejuice 2’: Brad Pitt’s Plan B Boards Sequel In Early Development At Warner Bros
https://deadline.com/2022/02/beetlejuic ... 234962240/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, good! Wouldn't be the same without him! Even though I loved the original actor for the musical!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

A lot of what is mentioned in that article is old news as both Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder have said multiple times over the past few years that they would love to make a Beetlejuice sequel, but they would only do it if Tim Burton came back to direct. So it's entirely in Burton's court and he has said he's waiting for the right script.

Curiously enough, there hasn't been any announcement of what Tim Burton will direct next for a while, even though "Dumbo" opened over a year ago. Usually, he has a few projects he's attached to.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Exciting! And clever!