Beetlejuice 2

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Beetlejuice 2

Post by Sotiris »

KatzSmith Productions partners David Katzenberg and Seth Grahame-Smith have just signed a two-year first-look feature producing deal at Warner Bros. While rights are still being worked out, one of their first projects is expected to be a sequel to Beetlejuice, the 1988 Tim Burton-directed hit that starred Michael Keaton as a ghoul hired by a recently deceased couple to drive the new owners out of their house. Burton and Keaton made the movie while they were working on the studio’s first Batman film, which was released the following year. Beetlejuice also starred Alec Baldwin, Winona Ryder and Geena Davis. The film will not be a remake; the intention is to reboot it by advancing the storyline of the original, which was done by The Geffen Company and Warner Bros.
Source: http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/katzsmi ... from-dead/
Last edited by Sotiris on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

I'm not real thrilled about a reboot unless Burton worked on it. I like the old movie. Years ago, I read about a scrapped sequel called Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian.
Last edited by Sky Syndrome on Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

if burton's not involved, i'll pass.

ps: who agrees this should be PG-13?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

NOW THE REMAKES ARE OFFICIALLY OUT OF CONTROL :evil:
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I actually read a different announcement about Beetlejuice 2, saying that it WASN'T a reboot.
it is stated that the film is planned as a continuation of the original and not as a reboot.

Read more: Beetlejuice Sequel Finally Happening? - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienew ... z1XGtiWgYT
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

estefan wrote:I actually read a different announcement about Beetlejuice 2, saying that it WASN'T a reboot.
it is stated that the film is planned as a continuation of the original and not as a reboot.

Read more: Beetlejuice Sequel Finally Happening? - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienew ... z1XGtiWgYT
If that's the case I have another statement..

LEAVE THE GOOD MOVIES ALONE ALREADY - STOP THE NOT NEEDED SEQUELS ALREADY IT'S GOING TOO FAR - :x

INSTEAD OF THIS MAKE HELLBOY 3 :shifty:

Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

disneyboy20022 wrote:NOW THE REMAKES ARE OFFICIALLY OUT OF CONTROL :evil:
Part of me agrees. Because this is certainly the absolute sign of the apocalypse in terms that no one would be able to ignore it.

You cannot reboot something that was never a franchise. It's a complete contradiction in terms. And you cannot remake something as unique as a Tim Burton film. It's not possible. It's exactly like saying: "let's repaint the Mona Lisa" or "Let's redesign Mount Rushmore and call it... Mount Rushmore." The writer of this new movie has been quoted as saying they plan to advance the story... You can't "advance the story" for a work of art like Beetlejuice. That's what the film is. Whatever that film's story was, it is the only story there was, is, or will ever be. That is Beetlejuice. Period. And, though Burton is a major part of it if not the most major part- without the entire living creative team behind this film- no sequel, remake, or "reboot" ... I can't say "will work." No, we're far beyond that. Now we're talking about what can be allowed. Without attaching labels like "Insane," "Must Be Locked Up," and "Blackball from Filmmaking" attached to anyone stupid enough to attempt this. Except for being able to buy the legal rights- what makes these fools think they have the artistic right?
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:I actually read a different announcement about Beetlejuice 2, saying that it WASN'T a reboot.

That's odd. However, ComingSoon lists Deadline as their source, and Deadline says it's a reboot, so...
Beetlejuice Sequel Finally Happening?

Source: Deadline
A long-awaited Beetlejuice sequel may finally be moving forward, Deadline reports.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

It should be a sequel.

If we live in a world that worships hags like on The Real Housewives, I feel academy award-winning Geena Davis deserves a comeback....

I mean, Cutthroat Island wasn't that bad. And Nicolas Cage gets to make one piece of crap after another and his career just won't die. I never got how that one film destroyed her career. It's not nearly as bad as Waterworld or The Postman.

Alec Baldwin can stay out of this though. He needs to focus on that quickie political college degree to become mayor of New York. :lol:

But still... they're ghosts... they can't age. Only Michael Keaton can come back because he now looks like Beetlejuice without makeup. :)
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

New Beetlejuice!

'Nuff said.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

There's only one Beetlejuice and that's Keaton. If he's not in, I'm not watching.

If Burton's back, then expect Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and any other actor that makes up Team Burton to be in it.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Barbossa wrote:There's only one Beetlejuice and that's Keaton. If he's not in, I'm not watching.
Same thing applies to Doug Bradley as Pinhead and Robert Englund as Freddy Krueger.

As for Nick Nolte... he's more like The Joker. On a lot of pain medication. And he already did a great creeper type role in the American remake of Nightwatch.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
NOW THE REMAKES ARE OFFICIALLY OUT OF CONTROL!!
Here are some of the movies that are being remade with no big names or without Hollywood blinking an eye - all they want is their money.

Straw Dogs
Killer Elite
Footlosse
Dirty Dancing
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (already in theaters and doing poorly)
Three Musketeers
Fright Night (already in theaters and doing poorly)

and there are more coming!!! Rumors say that they are bantering about remaking "South Pacific", and "Death Wish".
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

I first said this when they announced the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. I've been saying it almost bi-weekly now since then.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

jpanimation wrote:
I first said this when they announced the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. I've been saying it almost bi-weekly now since then.
Sci Fy Movies are one thing, but a creation that was created by only Tim Burton's Imagination.....good god no....

I didn't mind the Remake of King Kong. I still want to see both of the day the earth stood still movies (old and new) My dad saw the trailer for the re-make of Footloose and he said it looks like the same exact movie with differ people move to move, line to line. I like re-makes when there are updated creatures or something special effects have now compared to the original....but there is nothing new to bring to the table with remakes of Footloose, Dirty Dancing, Arthur that usually flop and and bring disgrace to be considered re-makes of the originals.....

Now if Beetlejuice is a sequel, if Michael Keaton isn't in that role, i'm not interested in this (and if they make it a prequel of How Beetlejuice became came to be origin story of him....could be interesting.....now that might be interesting, but great care would have to be taken, and involve Michael Keaton...case in point, if Keaton's not in this, I'm not in the theater most probably.

ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Barbossa wrote:There's only one Beetlejuice and that's Keaton. If he's not in, I'm not watching.

If Burton's back, then expect Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and any other actor that makes up Team Burton to be in it.
it's probably Keaton though.

and this thread reminds me of news of a certain other sequel to an iconic 80s movie that people on Ultimate *Disney* are eager to see. :wink:
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

disneyboy20022 wrote:Sci Fy Movies are one thing
But it's not just a sci-fi movie...it's THE sci-fi movie (just as Singin' in the Rain is THE movie musical or Casablanca is THE movie romance or Gone With the Wind is THE wartime drama). It's absolutely a seminal film with a message that is still relevant today. The only things that bother me are GORT (too obviously a man in a suit) and Hugh Marlowe's terrible acting. Everything else is amazing and needs no update.

Also, a sci-fi movie and a SyFy movie are two completely different things.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Michael Keaton doesn't seem like the only Beetlejuice to me when there was a different guy voicing Beetlejuice in the cartoon series and I liked that series very much.

Though I think remaking this film is a terrible idea, but that seems to be how it's gonna be now, everything that wasn't super duper Academy Award winning good will probably get re-made at some point, maybe even re-made more than once, interspersed among the new original movies.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Disney Duster wrote:Michael Keaton doesn't seem like the only Beetlejuice to me when there was a different guy voicing Beetlejuice in the cartoon series and I liked that series very much.
Well, this new film won't be animated. That makes a difference to me. And most people, I think.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It's not about one being animated and the other not, it's about the fact I have heard, seen, witnessed a different version of Beetlejuice and liked it, so there already has been another guy as Beetlejuice before and it was fine.