The Official Leaving/Returning Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^Well, I guess that's a little contradictary, but I guess it just wasnt shocking to me as it should've been.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Thanks everyone. I'm sort of in a daze right now. I've been spending the last week or so sorting through and scanning old family photos and drawings. I've also been doing genealogy research, which I dabble with every so often. It's not only been interesting, I think it's actually been therapeutic to get more of a sense of family history at such a time.

I just found out my ancestors owned a castle in Scotland back in the 1700's . . . which makes me all the more excited for Brave. ;) And I found a drawing my mom did of Mickey from 1956 that reads "Join the Mickey Mouse Club!" :ears: I'm printing some of the scans out and am burning the rest to a CD, this way I'll have a lot to share with my brother and his kids once we arrive. :)

I woke up to a message from him this morning. He spoke with our cousin's doctors and they believe she only has 2 to 6 weeks left to live . . .

:cry:

She has pancreatic cancer, the exact same thing we lost our dad to. Fortunately we'd already made the plans with the car rental and hotel room for next weekend and we'll be set to start off Wednesday morning.

I've always considered her more of an aunt than a cousin; she and my mom were actually the same age and were best friends that grew up together. She's also the reason my parents met. When I was a kid she lived a block away from us and would often walk over to our house to play Scrabble with me and my mom. She's artistic and loves doing crafts and watching movies. She's also one of the sweetest, friendliest people I've ever known so I've always loved spending time with her.

I'm scared of what I'll see when we get to the nursing home; I can't help but think of my mom's last days in the hospice and my dad's final days in the hospital. I'm even more scared that we may not make it in time. I just know that I have to greet her with a smile as I don't want to rob her of any optimism. God, I didn't even know she was sick until two weeks ago. We lost an uncle to cancer back in November so it's been one hell of a year for us.

And my brother, well his divorce was put into motion around the time he received my wedding invitation last August, and it was finalized about six months later. He was understandably freaked out for months on end but seems to be more accepting of it now. He wasn't the one that wanted it; she just told him one day that she was tired of being married to him (after 16 years together raising 6 kids) and that she wanted the house and kids. She started openly dating other guys before he even agreed to the divorce, and just this past month he found out she'd already been cheating on him for years regardless. And that's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to that crazy b*tch . . . she's got issues (oh, the stories I could tell!) and I know she's what got between my brother and I all those years ago. I'm actually relieved that they've divorced and that he's starting to see her for what she really is.

So I think he and I will be ok; thanks again to everyone for the well-wishes. :) We've already talked over several things on the phone and I think a visit in person will tie up most of our loose ends. Anyway, I know I've been rambling and apologize for that. But maybe I've needed a chance to do so in a place where people can listen with an objective ear, away from family. And if you've actually made it this far, thanks for listening. :) I'm just relieved I was able to sell enough prints to help with these upcoming expenses; I should be sleeping right now but my brain is so crammed full of emotions and memories that I can't stand the silence it takes me to fall asleep.

So it sucks that this site may disappear. Even though a lot of members have come and gone over the years, and even if it's only something that's remained largely intangible, it's warm and familiar and has been one of the few stable things I've had in my life since moving away from my home state. I'm sorry about the Google penalty and what it's doing to Luke, and while it's really none of my business, I also feel it's unfortunate that he didn't take up Rey's offer to help with the coding.

As for the negativity, I don't want you to worry Divinity; it has nothing to do with you. :) I just know of several members that have left unannounced due to similar reasons, and that in itself is already depressing. :( I really do hope things can turn around with this place.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

enigmawing wrote:Thanks everyone. I'm sort of in a daze right now. I've been spending the last week or so sorting through and scanning old family photos and drawings. I've also been doing genealogy research, which I dabble with every so often. It's not only been interesting, I think it's actually been therapeutic to get more of a sense of family history at such a time.

I just found out my ancestors owned a castle in Scotland back in the 1700's . . . which makes me all the more excited for Brave. ;) And I found a drawing my mom did of Mickey from 1956 that reads "Join the Mickey Mouse Club!" :ears: I'm printing some of the scans out and am burning the rest to a CD, this way I'll have a lot to share with my brother and his kids once we arrive. :)
sweet! i still have to look up my ancestry but i cant find a good site to do so and im not comfortable with asking my family.
enigmawing wrote:I woke up to a message from him this morning. He spoke with our cousin's doctors and they believe she only has 2 to 6 weeks left to live . . .

:cry:

She has pancreatic cancer, the exact same thing we lost our dad to. Fortunately we'd already made the plans with the car rental and hotel room for next weekend and we'll be set to start off Wednesday morning.
im very sorry. :(

are the doctors really that certain?
enigmawing wrote:I've always considered her more of an aunt than a cousin; she and my mom were actually the same age and were best friends that grew up together. She's also the reason my parents met. When I was a kid she lived a block away from us and would often walk over to our house to play Scrabble with me and my mom. She's artistic and loves doing crafts and watching movies. She's also one of the sweetest, friendliest people I've ever known so I've always loved spending time with her.

I'm scared of what I'll see when we get to the nursing home; I can't help but think of my mom's last days in the hospice and my dad's final days in the hospital. I'm even more scared that we may not make it in time. I just know that I have to greet her with a smile as I don't want to rob her of any optimism. God, I didn't even know she was sick until two weeks ago. We lost an uncle to cancer back in November so it's been one hell of a year for us.
cant even imagine how hard that must be for you.
enigmawing wrote:And my brother, well his divorce was put into motion around the time he received my wedding invitation last August, and it was finalized about six months later. He was understandably freaked out for months on end but seems to be more accepting of it now. He wasn't the one that wanted it; she just told him one day that she was tired of being married to him (after 16 years together raising 6 kids) and that she wanted the house and kids. She started openly dating other guys before he even agreed to the divorce, and just this past month he found out she'd already been cheating on him for years regardless.
no offense, but why is it that, in the midst of a divorce, the women always go for both the house and the kids? Normally seems a bit melodramatic at best, but she was the cheater.
enigmawing wrote:And that's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to that crazy b*tch . . . she's got issues (oh, the stories I could tell!) and I know she's what got between my brother and I all those years ago. I'm actually relieved that they've divorced and that he's starting to see her for what she really is.
oy. i guess im not even in the same species as most guys. a girl i really like right now is a bit of a tomboy and easy to communicate with. i'd take that over the mean chicks any day.

and do tell some of those stories! :D
enigmawing wrote:So it sucks that this site may disappear. Even though a lot of members have come and gone over the years, and even if it's only something that's remained largely intangible, it's warm and familiar and has been one of the few stable things I've had in my life since moving away from my home state. I'm sorry about the Google penalty and what it's doing to Luke, and while it's really none of my business, I also feel it's unfortunate that he didn't take up Rey's offer to help with the coding.
well ,unless we start a fundraiser or something, not much we can do. :(
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

ajmrowland wrote:sweet! i still have to look up my ancestry but i cant find a good site to do so and im not comfortable with asking my family.
Ancestry.com is a good place to start; searches are limited without a subscription but you can still find info and build a tree. You can also just try searches with the names of the oldest ancestors you do know to see if you can find any information. :)
ajmrowland wrote:im very sorry. :(

are the doctors really that certain?
I really don't know, except that there's rarely hope for pancreatic cancer regardless; my dad had only a few months after his diagnosis. I don't remember if my uncle had liver or pancreatic cancer but he only lasted a few weeks after I had the chance to visit with him again. :(
ajmrowland wrote:cant even imagine how hard that must be for you.
I don't even know how I'm feeling to be honest, aside from the stress I'm feeling pretty numb right now. Not that it gets any easier, but I've been through this a few times already. I just have to get through the trip in one piece so I can be strong when I see her; once I'm back home again I'll probably curl up in a ball and try to let it all out.
ajmrowland wrote:no offense, but why is it that, in the midst of a divorce, the women always go for both the house and the kids? Normally seems a bit melodramatic at best, but she was the cheater.
Courts tend to side with the moms, especially if they're the stay-at-home variety like she is. But to be honest I don't know a lot of details about the divorce, though I imagine I'll be filled in once I spend some time at my brother's house.
ajmrowland wrote:oy. i guess im not even in the same species as most guys. a girl i really like right now is a bit of a tomboy and easy to communicate with. i'd take that over the mean chicks any day.

and do tell some of those stories! :D
Lol, most of it's probably too personal here. Let's just say that I've known for years that she's two-faced and my brother is just finally starting to see it for himself.
ajmrowland wrote:well ,unless we start a fundraiser or something, not much we can do. :(
Well, in my attempts to be helpful at zeroing in on the issues, one of the mods told me that I was only stressing Luke out further at the worst possible time by being so "aggressive," giving me the impression that they felt I must not know what I'm talking about (but to be fair the post was almost immediately deleted). Despite that, I did eventually make it a point in the sitepocalypse thread to offer free help to Luke about fixing this website's issues; Rey does IT (Information Technologies) for a living and has experience with building websites and writing code and the like. Never got a response though, and Rey's forum registration was never approved.

Technically speaking, there are several ways that Rey could keep this community going if it dies by hosting it elsewhere, but I'd rather not step on anyone's toes and would rather not carry the responsibility of moderating a place that wasn't mine to begin with.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

K., please check your e-mail. Would love to hear from you.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I guess I'm back. Sadly, I might be a little late- they closed the Unpopular Opinions thread (NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!).
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I came in cause I saw the word Lazario...and then went...WAIT, WHAT?!?!!!!

YAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

And you came back with a kickin' banner!!!!! Is the first pic from Fantasia? And the second from...Home on the Range? It looks too seriously beautifully Disney to be that, though... Not lovin' the gross grasshopper avatar but...hey, just glad you're back, that's the real important thing! :P
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

@enigmawing: I’m so sorry about what you and your family’s been going through the past year. :( I hope your cousin is alright, but I know from personal experience that cancer happens suddenly and it’s hard to stop/hold off (especially with particular forms of cancer). And I hope your brother has got a good arrangement with his children.

@Lazario: Glad to have you back! :) I was worried a lot of the older members wouldn’t come back in time, if the site did close.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Disney Duster wrote:And the second from...Home on the Range? It looks too seriously beautifully Disney to be that, though...
You're right, it is too beautiful; it's actually an image from Melody Time (or maybe Fun and Fancy Free). Duster, who are you to approve or disapprove of other members' avatars?

Anyway, I'm gladdened to see you've returned here, Lazario, just like you promised me you would. :D
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:You're right, it is too beautiful; it's actually an image from Melody Time (or maybe Fun and Fancy Free). Duster, who are you to approve or disapprove of other members' avatars?
He's just giving an opinion on a banner considering they're made to be seen (he does it to me all the time). No need to take it so negatively.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Disney Duster wrote:I came in cause I saw the word Lazario...and then went...WAIT, WHAT?!?!!!!

YAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

And you came back with a kickin' banner!!!!! Is the first pic from Fantasia?
Yep. From the "Ave Maria" scene. :)

Disney Duster wrote:And the second from...Home on the Range? It looks too seriously beautifully Disney to be that, though...
If you don't mind the spoiler (:wink:), it's from Melody Time- the Pecos Bill sequence.

Disney Duster wrote:Not lovin' the gross grasshopper avatar
You can see that? I just installed a new widescreen monitor on my computer last week and everything is so dang tiny, I can't tell what something looks like small anymore.

Disney's Divinity wrote:@enigmawing: I’m so sorry about what you and your family’s been going through the past year. :( I hope your cousin is alright
Ditto.

Disney's Divinity wrote:@Lazario: Glad to have you back! :) I was worried a lot of the older members wouldn’t come back in time, if the site did close.
I don't think they will but... here's to hoping. I was surprised to see Nandor post again (it's been awhile for him!).

Dr Frankenollie wrote:Anyway, I'm gladdened to see you've returned here, Lazario, just like you promised me you would. :D
I actually thought you forgot about that. (Lousy hurricane)

Dr Frankenollie wrote:Duster, who are you to approve or disapprove of other members' avatars?
I thought it was cute- it's from that bug drunk-driving commercial, reminded me of Pixar.

It's only temporary anyway- tomorrow I'm starting a new Avatar-a-Day thing which I tried to do back in October of 2005 or 2006 but I didn't have a good pic resizer and I couldn't take my own pics. Now, I do and can.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Glad to see you're back, Laz! Hopefully you'll stick around with some of us other oldies.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:Glad to see you're back, Laz! Hopefully you'll stick around with some of us other oldies.
I hope so too- my computer gave me one HELL of a fright this morning. I haven't had a complete screen freeze since my old pos* computer. Not even a year old and this thing has given me more headaches than I thought imaginable.

* http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pos
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Laz is back. I knew he'd be back. This forum is like a drug.

Shame though. Most of us was going to join your lulzy anti-Goliath forum if this one went down.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Hey guys, Starting tomorrow, I won't be online or this forum as much as I got to focus on my school work in college and shit. The internet can be too much of a big distraction for me and keep me away from my drawing focus. so I won't be on that much from September to December.

Tim, and Duster, if you want to contact me about any questions concerning visiting in September, text me on my phone. You know the number.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Super Aurora wrote:Hey guys, Starting tomorrow, I won't be online or this forum as much as I got to focus on my school work in college and shit. The internet can be too much of a big distraction for me and keep me away from my drawing focus. so I won't be on that much from September to December.
:( That's a shame. You're one of my favourite members.

Unfortunately, I too may not be on the forum as much; I'll still post daily, but I may be busy with my schoolwork to post as frequently as I normally do, but I'll try.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Good luck with your classes Super A. :) I hope you'll find some time to post.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

i'll probably post only on Thursdays or so as it will probably my "interent day" for me. I gotta pester Divinity anyway.

any other day I will be drawing asses and boobs.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Just read on his Facebook page, that Escapay is no longer going to associate himself with the UD forums. That's going to be very sad for most of us. But at least those of us who know him can follow his adventures on FB.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

dvdjunkie wrote:Just read on his Facebook page, that Escapay is no longer going to associate himself with the UD forums. That's going to be very sad for most of us. But at least those of us who know him can follow his adventures on FB.
I know he was getting fed up with certain members and attitudes around here. It's a shame, another good member gone.