What Movie Did You Just Watch? ...Rises

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Since Fathom Events does not exist in Canada and no body seems to have the rights to show it here I hopped over to the US last night with my Dad to see RiffTrax Live: Jack the Giant Killer! For the people who don't know RiffTrax is a service online that provides you with audio commentaries humorously mocking the film be it good or bad. The live shows are always Public Domain films since it would be rather hard to get the rights to a hollywood blockbuster to be laughed at. Jack the Giant Killer was a 1962 family film that is not really that bad until the last third when things just ridiculously silly, to the glee of riffers Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett. It was a grand evening of laughs plus when you go the the live shows they link you to free stuff from RiffTrax in this case some pictures and avatars (including this one I now have of the leprechaun from the film), a coupon for 15% downloads in the next week, and the studio riff version of the short they riffed before the movie "What is Nothing?". I hope to be able to go to any more shows they do but it does seem like a long shot since this was my first show but the fifth one they have done. Any way even if I can't go to anymore it was a grand time all around last night. Seize the bone!

-Skyler
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

E.T. The extra-terrestrial (1982)

Probably I'm one of the few Ud'rs who has seen the original release of this classic. Still great and maybey the only sf-movie that's family-oriented with a charm and warmth seldom seen in this genre.

The tree of life 2011
This movie is an experience you have to undergo. Director Mladic tells his story mostly in images and uses some dialogue as support. It begins with a mother and father mourning the loss of one of their 3 sons. Next you see how these sons were born and grew up in a suburb in an American city in the 50s with a loving mother and a father (Brad Pitt) who was sending mixed messages to his sons (you should call me sir and I want a hug) intermixed with images of the creation of life on earth (including dinosaurs), the oldest son in later life (Sean Penn) and dreamy fantasy-sequences.

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

Apes marathon continued:
(Rating scale 1-5 ✰s)

Battle for tPotA ✰✰✰
Tarzan II ✰✰
Tarzan ✰✰✰✰
Tarzan & Jane1/2
Behind tPotA ✰✰✰

After watching so much apes I had a strange urge to watch Tarzan. (To quote Clayton: "GO-RI-AS.") Ergo I had a Tarzan marathon of sorts. Once again I'm reminded how I prefer the tv series to either "T2" or "T&J".
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

SillySymphony wrote:
After watching so much apes I had a strange urge to watch Tarzan. (To quote Clayton: "GO-RI-AS.") Ergo I had a Tarzan marathon of sorts. Once again I'm reminded how I prefer the tv series to either "T2" or "T&J".
You should have watched the original "Tarzan" movies starring Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan. They put everything else to shame. There are twelve titles in all beginning with "Tarzan The Ape Man".

Didn't know there ever was a TV series, of course, if it was animated then I didn't watch it all. I don't think the Disney "Tarzan" movies even come close to telling the story of Tarzan, even though I liked only "Tarzan" and not the sequel.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

Melody Time

My favorite segments of this package feature: 'bumble bee boogie' and 'Little Toot". The rest is a bit 'so-so'.

Sonny Boy (2011)

Dutch movie based on a true story about the impossible love between a white Dutch woman (Rika) and a black student (Waldemar) from Surinam who becomes her pensioner in The Hague prior to World War 2. Their situation is complicated not merely because of racist prejudice, but because Rika ran away form her unfaithful husband with her 4 children and he refuses to divorce her after she has given birth to Waldemar's son, named Waldy, and nicknamed Sonny Boy. Eventually Rika and Waldemar do marry, but she loses custody over her other children whom she is allowed to see just two times a year. The couple faces a lot of troubles and setbacks, but mostly manage to overcome these...until they are betrayed and arrested during the war for hiding Jews in their boarding house, and Sonny Boy is separated from his parents.
A gripping, intense movie.
BTW: Waldy is still alive today.
Last edited by BelleGirl on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Green Lantern - Missed it at the first run theater so I had to catch at the 2nd run. I enjoyed it more than I thought. The trailer didnn't sell me on the movie, but I really enjoyed the final product. Looking forward to sequel.

Captain America - 2nd time seeing it. Still fun.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Finally got around to seeing it, and in IMAX 3D. Great movie. Sad to see the series come to an end, but, it could continue...
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Batman: Under the Red Hood: I'm not familiar with all the DTV DC movies so I didn't really know what to expect watching this. However, this one was really good. I'm not sure if it's on the same level as Mask of the Phantasm, but like that movie, this is a mature, well done animated feature that gives interesting insight into Batman's relation with Robin, the Joker and others.

The level of violence may take some by surprise, but it felt appropriate for the gritty tone the movie was going for and was important for character motives too.

I know some are disapointed Mark Hamill didn't return to do his Joker voice, but I was fine with the voice cast selected.

It's short at 76 minutes, but that just prevents the movie from having needless padding and works for the constant action scenes by not giving the viewer so many to the point of excess.

In all it was good, so if you like Batman, you'll like this movie.
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

It was very good. Though a couple of scenes can be predictable, it's still an awesome movie! BTW, have you noticed the catcher said, "Get your paws off me you damn dirty ape!" like in the original?
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

I honestly think my library does this just to piss me off. All of the following Blu-rays came in at the same time (except Pulp Fiction, that was on HDNet Movies), which means I had to shut off my social life for a week just to get through them within the 7 day limit (yeah, I work a couple of jobs, so my free time is limited):

Pulp Fiction (1994) 8/10 - I’ve only seen this movie once before, many years ago, but at that time I instantly fell in love with it. For some reason, I liked it a little less this time around but still had a blast watching it. Like The Good, the Bad and The Ugly, this film has cool characters and a great soundtrack, but it also shares the pacing problems that come with the less interesting moments sprinkled throughout the long runtime (for example, the whole Christopher Walken/wrist watch scene actually bored me, just as the bridge scene in The Good, the Bad and The Ugly does). Still, Tarantino has this movie oozing with soo much style and masterfully written dialogue that it arrests you from beginning to end. It's of my opinion that Tarantino hasn’t come close to matching the brilliance of this or Reservoir Dogs since. Also, I couldn’t believe how hard I was laughing at the “aww man, I just shot Marvin in the face” line and the "Dead Nigger Storage" bit. Still hilarious all these years later.

Limitless (2011) 6/10 - It had potential but never really went anywhere. The premise of a man being able to unlock his full brain capacity (with a pill) to amazing results, considering that we only use 20% of our brain (not actually true), should’ve made for a very compelling film. Instead, they give us the most unappealing protagonist they could think of, who does not change or grow in any way possible from his experiences. He’s just a unsympathetic d-bag from beginning to end. The movie’s ending is open, since there wasn’t any real story to speak of (it seemed to be more about the pill and it’s effects then our protagonist) and the so-called “antagonists” come across as mere speed bumps. Cool idea but nothing really developed out of it.

Your Highness (2011) 5/10 - It’s about as bad as I thought it would be. I wasn’t a fan of Danny McBride walking into this movie, it’s his lack of versatility more then anything that bothers me, and this movie really doesn’t do anything to change that. James Franco, on the other hand, adapts well with the medieval setting and effortlessly plays the charming prince. The whole story is cartoonish in both premise and execution, with the villain being played strictly for laughs as opposed to any kind of character building threat. This all plays out in your typical ‘misfit goes on a quest to obtain an item that will be used to defeat some kind of evil threatening the land and will step up to become the hero at the end’ plot line. Laughs are scarce throughout, and the intermixing of obnoxious modernized characters in an old world setting never really melds as effectively as it could, with the characters all coming across like the overblown paper-thin stereotypes you’d expect to see on Saturday morning. Of course, I didn’t like Monty Python and the Holy Grail either, so maybe this just isn’t my thing.

Paul (2011) 6/10 - Could’ve been soo much more but it’s evident from the very start that it was going to be a lifeless genre spoof. Despite Seth Rogan’s voice giving me a migraine, the character of Paul is likable and he’s an absolutely breathtaking visual effect (best part about the movie). The other two main protagonists, Pegg and Frost, are disappointingly underwritten-nerdy Comic-Con going stereotypes. They even throw in an overdone religious stereotype to act as makeshift love interest (I’m sure the religious bashing will offend many as it’s a little harsher then you normally see). All the protagonists and antagonist in this movie are soo cardboard and uninteresting, that it was literally the character of Paul staying my hand from the power off button. As you would expect from this kind of parody, it’s chock full of sci-fi movie references and for the most part, they largely miss the mark (and I consider myself pretty nerdy when it comes to this kind of stuff). When compared to Mottola’s other work, I didn’t like it nearly as much as Superbad and would equate the entertainment value much more inline with his dreary Adventureland.

Rio (2011) 6.5/10 - Enjoyable. It really shouldn't be as it’s story is simply standard, the characters lack any kind of depth and the musical numbers are mediocre, but the whole thing is just soo lively that it’s infectious. As with Horton Hears a Who!, the character animation is absolutely gorgeous and I just can’t praise it enough. Pixar may own subtlety but Blue Sky absolutely cements themselves as the masters of cartoony animation. Dancing is something that’s hard to pull off and Blue Sky makes it look easy. Despite the music being forgettable, the actual musical sequences themselves are well made. The opening number for instance has excellent choreography and is handled with such vigor that, as short as it is, it impressed me much more then anything Disney has done in the past decade. This is one of those movies that can be flipped on just to enjoy the positive energy, whether you’re actually watching it or just using it for background noise.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

In the past few days, I've watched: Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty and Team America: World Police, all of which I've seen before, but all of which I now love more than ever. I'm not going to post my reviews shere, as I plan on setting up a review website soon and I'm saving them for the site.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I enjoyed the following to varying degrees in order viewed:
the Terminator

Rio

Limitless

POM Wonderful Presents: the Greatest Movie Ever Sold

Where The Wild Things Are
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Adventures in babysitting is one i think i'll watch again

the 'burbs was a good thriller-comedy.
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Don't be Afraid of the Dark.

It was disappointing, but it was also okay at best.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I bought this DVD recently at a local Auction....after viewing it I sold it for the pawn shop for $1 - which was fine with me.......my dad said he'd watch Coraline over this anyday, which I didn't think I'd ever hear those words....

I like films such as the Source Code, and The Adjustment Buerua, and Uknown. those are mystery thriller movies....but The Box....just is creepy.....it's horrible in my opinion.....I mean there is no develpment for me to even have much caring for these characters, unlike Source Code, it was weird, but it made me interested in them and there was time to allow us to like the characters in it.. The Box....it's terrible....and talk about your bland title....I mean I did finsih watching The Box, just due to the fact maybe I wanted the movie to redeem itself or explain more torwards the end...with it's cliffhanger ending....usually I hate cliff hanger films that don't get resolved.....but this is one of the exception....I don't know what happens next and frankly, I honestly don't want to know....
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

disneyboy20022 wrote:I bought this DVD recently at a local Auction....after viewing it I sold it for the pawn shop for $1 - which was fine with me.......my dad said he'd watch Coraline over this anyday, which I didn't think I'd ever hear those words....
well coraline is a good movie. too many horror films dont scare half as much.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Footloose (1984) Special Collector's Edition DVD

With Hollywood latest penchant for remaking classic movies I thought I would a couple of the originals over the next few days.

My first choice is one of my favorite 80's flicks, Footloose starring Kevin Bacon, Lori Singer, Dianne Wiest, and John Lithgow. Directed by Herbert Ross, this was the perfect film for its time. MTV had just been born and was the launching pad for this movie.

The story of Ren McCormick (Bacon), a city boy who moves with his mother to a very uptight Midwestern town where dancing has been banned. Making friends with Willard (Christopher Penn, in a marvelous role) and the pastor's daughter, Ariel (Singer), Ren leads a revolt by the teenager's in the town to hold their Senior Prom, the first in over five years, because of an accident that happend killing five students on prom night.

Featuring a very strong music soundtrack with songs like "Feels So Good"- John Mellencamp; "Dancing in the Sheets" - Shalamar; "Let's Hear It For the Boy" - Deniece Williams; "Almost Paradise" - Ann Wilson and Mike Reno; and, of course, the title tune from Kenny Loggins "Footloose".

This is classic film making at its best, and movies like this should be left alone, only because of Hollywood's record for botching good movies and turning them into just another movie. I hope that this is not a sign of things to come. I have just read that they are remaking "Bonnie & Clyde" with a teenage cast, and they are going to remake "Dirty Dancing", which is a mortal sin, in my opinion. Why has Hollywood lost all of its originality? Because they are too cheap to pay good writers to come up with something new. Why can't they just leave the originals alone?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Funny, sweet, and entertaining all around. loved the stuntwork!

the Black Hole

cheese.

The Men Who Stare At Goats

this comedy really earned its stars
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

MARS ATTACKS!

another example of the height of tim burton's career.
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

(Movies rating scale 1-5 ✰s)

Timeline (2003) ✰✰✰ :
One of my most-liked movies. The story and movie direction is lacking, (especially for being based on a Micheal Crichton novel), but the characters are likable, the music's grand and not to mention that Gerard Butler IS this movie. (Whom I also like in the Phantom of the Opera.) I do wish there was more time travel aspects because it seems more of a side plot to a predictable medieval true-love story. Sad that it failed at the box office.

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) ✰✰✰✰ :
For school this year my sister is using a curriculum that looks at literature through movies. Basically you watch a classic movie and then answer questions or right an essay about it, that kind of thing. I plan to watch along because almost all are classics that I've never seen. She already watched Shane, which I missed, but I did catch the next one on the list hence Arsenic and Old Lace.

In one word: Hilarious. This movie is packed with humor of the screwball dark-comedy kind. I went in with absolutely no background to the movie or genre and was pleasantly surprised. Fully enjoyed all the dramatic irony and plot twists. Superb acting all around. Cary Grant and Peter Lorre are phenomenal; Sadly it's my first at seeing either in a feature, but great debut nonetheless.
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Office Space - Special Edition 'with flair' (1999) Blu-ray

Who among us that are working 9 to 5's really wish there was some other way to make money? If you dread getting up in the morning and going to work because of the people who surround you on the drive to work and the people you work with, then this is your movie!!!

Written and Directed for the screen by Mike Judge, creator of the offensive-yet-funny Beavis & Butt-head, and creator of Milton, from which this movie is derived, has hit the nail squarely on the head.

Peter (Ron Livingston) is not in love with his job anymore, and hates it so much that his girlfriend, Annie, makes him go to a hypnotherapist, who, after putting Peter under a spell, dies before he can tell him what to do.

Mass hilarity throughout this film is what makes it one of the best comedies to come out of Hollywood in a very long time. You have the typical office people like Michael Bolton (David Herman) who terrorizes the copy machine on a daily basis, and Saji (Ajay Naidu) who is quietly a computer genius. Peter decides to become a slacker and only comes to work when he feels like it and when the Division VP, played to the letter by Gary Cole, brings in a consultant, portrayed by the scene-stealing John C. McGinley, Peter finds himself being promoted to upper management and his two best friends are going to be fired. He rebels and they come up with a plan to place a virus in the company computer that will deposit a fraction of a cent into Peter's bank account each transaction day. Jennifer Aniston has a very thankless role as Joanna, Peter's new girlfriend, but she pulls it off without a blink of an eye.

For those of you who have never seen this movie, you need to bring to the top of your list of Netflix, or wherever you rent your films and see this. Your life will never be the same. Just plain funny, and it deserves to be watched many times, not necessarily in a row, but whenever you need to see a movie that will put a smile on your face quickly.

Five out of five stars for this great comedy from the pen of Mike Judge.