Moana

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Sotiris wrote:No, he means hand-drawn with CG elements (like most hand-drawn films in the late 90s, early '00s)
Like the atrocity that was Treasure Planet? Or would it be more apt to describe that as a CGI film with hand-drawn elements?
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Goliath wrote:Like the atrocity that was Treasure Planet? Or would it be more apt to describe that as a CGI film with hand-drawn elements?
I think that Treasure Planet was visually stunning, and the CG elements were successfully integrated with the hand-drawn characters. Let's not forget that it was a sci-fi film set in space which was probably the reason CG was used more heavily there than in the average Disney film.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Sotiris wrote:I think that Treasure Planet was visually stunning, and the CG elements were successfully integrated with the hand-drawn characters. Let's not forget that it was a sci-fi film set in space which was probably the reason CG was used more heavily there than in the average Disney film.
You didn't think it looked like a bad computer game? Or that it was horribly distracting? We have different tastes, I guess.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Goliath wrote:We have different tastes, I guess.
Apparently. :wink: You also like Randy Newman's singing voice which I can't stand. :P
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Sotiris wrote:Apparently. :wink: You also like Randy Newman's singing voice which I can't stand. :P
After you've become a fan of Dylan, you can take anything. :wink:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

If it hadn’t been for the whales, I would agree that the CG in Treasure Planet was good. That said, I think it has some gorgeous hand-drawn animation, and it‘s one of my favorite films to watch.

And I also dislike Randy Newman (his voice, most of all). I guess I’m inbetween here. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

But does everyone know what is going to be called?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

In the Hat Building
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... lding.html
Anonymous #1 wrote:Could you tell me something about the new movie directed by Ron Clements and John Musker? I read on the web that it could be a new musical based on a fairy tale movie...I read rumors about this and people on the web are talking about Turandot, Cupid and Psyche or DonkeySkin... Is it true or not?
Anonymous #2 wrote:From what I have heard through the grapevine is that the studio wants Ron and John's film to be CG and they want it to be 2D. Hopefully Ron and John will get their 2D film.
Anonymous #3 wrote:Haven't heard anything about Ron and John getting approval for their new film. Is it in storyboarding already? I don't think Lasseter would force them to do CG if they didn't want to.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

^Is it just me, or is Disney TRYING to push Ron and John to leave? Because apparently, it seems as though Disney's far from willing to do another 2D movie, hence them wanting to make John and Ron's movie CG instead of 2D.

I'm sorry, but how completely biased. :(
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

DisneyJedi wrote:^Is it just me, or is Disney TRYING to push Ron and John to leave? Because apparently, it seems as though Disney's far from willing to do another 2D movie, hence them wanting to make John and Ron's movie CG instead of 2D.

I'm sorry, but how completely biased. :(
It seems like you're one being biased?

Why put so much into something into what 'anonymous' people are saying anyways. We've been hearing things left and right about this Ron and John film, saying its greenlighted, saying its cancelled, thats is CG, that its hand drawn.. I'm not worried about anything until something's officially announced.

These are rumors, nothing more.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

DisneyJedi wrote:^Is it just me, or is Disney TRYING to push Ron and John to leave? Because apparently, it seems as though Disney's far from willing to do another 2D movie, hence them wanting to make John and Ron's movie CG instead of 2D.
I wouldn't blame them. The last decent film they made was Hercules, 14 years ago! And even that one wasn't on par with Mermaid and Aladdin. I think those two are hugely overrated.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Yeah, seriously, let someone else have a go at it.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, Disney better not make their next movie CG, when John and Ron WANT it to be 2D, or... well, that would mean Disney would not only be screwing us 2D animation fans over, but they'd be totally screwing John and Ron over.

However, I don't want John and Ron to be the ONLY guys at Disney WILLING to direct/work on a hand-drawn film. I'm sure John Lasseter wants hand-drawn to stay alive as well.

But their next hand-drawn film, it better not have a ridiculously high budget (Tangled, I'm sorry, but I'm looking at you AND your predecessor, The Princess and the Frog).
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Kyle wrote:Yeah, seriously, let someone else have a go at it.
Musker and Clements haven’t been the only one making 2D films at Disney the past 20 years. They're just the only ones who still want to do them.

That said, I think TP&TF was a pretty nice movie, and most critics agreed. Treasure Planet is the only (financial) failure on their record, but I personally thought that movie was pretty good barring the same flaws that all the ‘90s films had (annoying sidekicks and juvenile humor).

I wouldn’t be surprised if those rumors were true. I’ve been holding my breath that Disney would make a 2D film again after the news about The Snow Queen (at least not one in the next 5 to 7 years, anyway).
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

DisneyJedi wrote:However, I don't want John and Ron to be the ONLY guys at Disney WILLING to direct/work on a hand-drawn film. I'm sure John Lasseter wants hand-drawn to stay alive as well.
I'm sure he does; when he came to Disney in 2006 he offered Glen Keane the option of making Tangled as a hand-drawn feature but Keane wanted to do it in CG. If someone at Disney really wanted to make a hand-drawn film and had a good story, I think Lasseter would allow them to move ahead with hit.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Disney's Divinity wrote: Treasure Planet is the only (financial) failure on their record, but I personally thought that movie was pretty good barring the same flaws that all the ‘90s films had (annoying sidekicks and juvenile humor).
And probably their more serious of the films they directed. But that's just what I think; I felt it seemed a bit more serious in tone than Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Hercules or Princess and the Frog.

... Unless The Great Mouse Detective counts more as being serious.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:When he came to Disney in 2006 he offered Glen Keane the option of making Tangled as a hand-drawn feature but Keane wanted to do it in CG. If someone at Disney really wanted to make a hand-drawn film and had a good story, I think Lasseter would allow them to move ahead with hit.
Yes, but that was before The Princess and the Frog had underperformed. I think Lasseter has lost his faith in the medium after that or at least he does not actively support it anymore.

People at WDAS keep pitching their ideas as "envisioned in CG" because:
1) They know that management will greenlit a CG film easier and faster instead of a hand-drawn one.
2) They are afraid that their picture will underperform if it is hand-drawn.

Basically, they feel that the hand-drawn medium is a risk that they're not willing to take.

If management was truly supportive of the medium, artists there would not be feeling this way and there would have been more hand-drawn projects in development. Besides, the mantra that the nature of the story dictates which medium should be used is quite arbitrary. Except with cases like Wreck-It Ralph, most stories could be told in either medium equally well. Therefore, the "nature of the story" sounds to me more like an excuse than a reality.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Well time will tell I suppose. If Clements and Musker are working on a hand-drawn feature I look forward to seeing it and I believe that the medium has a future at Disney. But regardless of how the film is made, I just want Disney to uphold the quality of their most recent features in Wreck-It Ralph and King of the Elves.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Sotiris wrote:
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:When he came to Disney in 2006 he offered Glen Keane the option of making Tangled as a hand-drawn feature but Keane wanted to do it in CG. If someone at Disney really wanted to make a hand-drawn film and had a good story, I think Lasseter would allow them to move ahead with hit.
Yes, but that was before The Princess and the Frog had underperformed. I think Lasseter has lost his faith in the medium after that or at least he does not actively support it anymore.

People at WDAS keep pitching their ideas as "envisioned in CG" because:
1) They know that management will greenlit a CG film easier and faster instead of a hand-drawn one.
2) They are afraid that their picture will underperform if it is hand-drawn.

Basically, they feel that the hand-drawn medium is a risk that they're not willing to take.

If management was truly supportive of the medium, artists there would not be feeling this way and there would have been more hand-drawn projects in development. Besides, the mantra that the nature of the story dictates which medium should be used is quite arbitrary. Except with cases like Wreck-It Ralph, most stories could be told in either medium equally well. Therefore, the "nature of the story" sounds to me more like an excuse than a reality.
In other words, Disney's being biased only to CG and treating hand-drawn like the redheaded child. :(
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Or maybe you're just over-reacting like in every post you've ever made, Mr Randy Newman-hitting bus driver.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland