The Order of the Seven

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

I believe this might just be in the "developing" stages.

This isn't the first time that Disney has tried to re-hash the Snow White story with an original twist. In the late 1970s, early 1980s Disney was working on a live-action science fiction parody (a la "Snow White" meets "Dark Star") called "Snow Star". Think of it as a precursor to "Airplane 2: The Sequel". :roll: Not to mention the shelved direct to video sequel "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 2" from the late 1990s.

Here's hoping this version, as well, never sees the light of day...let alone "Variety" or "The Hollywood Reporter".
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: "Snow and the seven"

Post by Escapay »

This has been in development at Disney as early as 2004. In 2007, they named a director (Francis Lawrence), with Natalie Portman's name being thrown around as Snow (though I don't know if she's still attached to the project).

As for the whole "Disney's sullying their historic film with this!", I won't say a word beyond one little paragraph:

Regardless of their quality, remakes and sequels are just another way of filmmaking for Disney and other studios. They invest money and time into these projects for a reason, and there has to be a lot of things working against it (beyond a few hundred fans' complaint of "Don't tarnish the original with this remake!") for any studio to cancel a project. And with Snow and the Seven finally (?) getting out of development hell and entering pre-production, it's more likely that the film will be made. As singerguy04 said, this is likely not a remake, but it's own film that takes the general basis/idea of the Snow White fairy tale and gives it its own twist. So we won't see a "meet cute" between a live-action girl with a shrilly voice and a lipstick-wearing guy at a well, we won't see the girl telling seven men to wash their hands, and we won't see a bitchy queen say "Thirsty? Have a drink!" to a skeleton.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Vermin Friends
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Vermin Friends »

Just my two cents, but I think this is the stupidest thing ever. :roll:
Check out some of my other work @ my Deviant Art profile
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Re: "Snow and the seven"

Post by Sky Syndrome »

jimdotbeep wrote:It's about a girl raised by seven munks who it being trained to fight the forces of evil.
The public already has that film. It's......The Next Karate Kid. I don't know how many monks were in that movie but there seemed to be more than seven but their temple might have trick mirrors installed. :P

(I'm only making fun. And anyway, Mr. Miyagi pretty much trained the girl himself.)
Babaloo
Gold Classic Collection

Disney's Live Action Re-Imagining - Snow and the Seven

Post by Babaloo »

I tried doing a search on this, so sorry if there is a topic for this already. I knew Disney was trying to remake a whole bunch of their animated movies, but I had no idea they were doing this for Snow White...

Granted this does have a huge twist to it...

'Toy Story 3' Writer to Take on Disney's Snow White Project (Exclusive)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/ ... 25?_r=true

Sounds kind of interesting to me...And again sorry if there is a thread already for this.
Last edited by Babaloo on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Gosh .... ummm dont know what to think of this. It's hardly a remake .... is it a 're-imagining' like Alice was ?

To be honest, Snow White is one of the oldest stories out there; a heroine surviving an attack on her life, running away and finding herself in the process. The stories all vary on the formats, but the same groundwork is there.

So I dont really think of this as a remake of Snow by Disney; the new live action version with Kristen Stewart sounds more along those lines.
avonleastories95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by avonleastories95 »

This one'll really reel them in :roll: .
Babaloo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Babaloo »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:Gosh .... ummm dont know what to think of this. It's hardly a remake .... is it a 're-imagining' like Alice was ?

To be honest, Snow White is one of the oldest stories out there; a heroine surviving an attack on her life, running away and finding herself in the process. The stories all vary on the formats, but the same groundwork is there.

So I dont really think of this as a remake of Snow by Disney; the new live action version with Kristen Stewart sounds more along those lines.

Haha sounds good to me, I'll change the title to Re-Imagining
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I remember first reading about this years ago. I wonder if it will actually get into production this time...
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Disney is doing a remake of Snow White!

Post by disneyprincess11 »

FROM http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/0 ... 17902.html:
As such, it shouldn't be terribly unexpected that the House of Mouse would be coming out with its own retelling of the princess and dwarves story; what they're doing with it, however, may be a bit of a surprise.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio is moving forward with its far east, warrior-focused version of the tale; now called "The Order of the Seven," it's been in development for years, and, so says THR, will actually minimize the aspects associated with the Grimm legend. It will be trading those trappings for an ancient action storyline that will feature a band of warriors from around the world that, once downtrodden, are galvanized by meeting an English woman in China.

As recently as February, the film was in development under the title, "Snow and the Seven," and had what seems to be a similar storyline to what we see today: an Englishwoman goes to Hong Kong for her father's funeral and realizes that her evil stepmother was plotting her murder, at which point she turns to the warriors for protection. Natalie Portman was rumored to be semi-attached to that project, but whether that's still the case remains to be seen.

Whoever gets the lead, to the extent that the film is still loosely based on the fairytale, will have stiff competition to be the definitive live action face of the beloved princess. Kristen Stewart is starring as a warrior-in-training princess alongside Chris Hemsworth and Evil Queen Charlize Theron in "Snow White and the Huntsman," while Lily Collins will play a more traditional Snow White with Julia Roberts as Evil Queen and Armie Hammer as the dashing Prince.

Disney, why are you butchering one of your most beloved classics like this?! :cry: It's bad enough you screwed up with Alice in Wonderland, now you're ruining THIS?!
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Does Disney need a real remake of our beloved animated feature, let alone the first animated feature from Disney and America in general? Seriously?!
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

If the storyline was actually any good and/or intriguing in any way, then I'd be slightly open to it. Unfortunately, that synopsis sounds AWFUL. :x

Whilst it's good that they aren't trying to recreate the film with an identical story, and it's also good that they aren't doing it in a way to appeal to the braindead Twilight crowd, that action film idea sounds like dumb, lowest-common-denominator, cinematic trite.
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

I never understood Hollywoods fasination diong these Snow White titles lately...however if your are the studio that brought it to light why not do a live adaption of the cartoon done right...the whole thing could be really well do if done right.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

This has been in development for years.

However, I wouldn't call it a remake. This film takes the concept of the Snow White fairy tale and translates it into a Chinese action epic. It's a reimagining.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Thanks Umbrellafish, I was just going to say the same thing.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Animalia
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Animalia »

Can't we have ANY original ideas? I'm sorry, putting Snow White in China doesn't seem very original to me. :headshake:

I for one, am sick of remakes, reboots and sequels. It just seems everyone is copying everyone these days. Sorry, I needed to get that rant out. :oops:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Not so much reboots, but remakes and sequels have been going on since the beginning of cinema. It's nothing new.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

Image is not amused..

I honestly doubt that this is true, to be honest with you. That would be blasphemy if they ever did anything like that to the original story.

Truthfully, I believe the whole thing is just silly superstition. Some dopey person that thought it would be funny to joke around and post rumors like that.. :roll:

And when I say "Dopey" I do not mean the Dwarf.. :roll:
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

No, no and a thousand times, NO!!!!!!!

There should be a law against this kind of shit!! :x
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

ANOTHER Snow White-movie?

We're already getting two! Do we really need this one?