Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:32 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

FROM http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/0 ... 17902.html:

Quote:
As such, it shouldn't be terribly unexpected that the House of Mouse would be coming out with its own retelling of the princess and dwarves story; what they're doing with it, however, may be a bit of a surprise.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio is moving forward with its far east, warrior-focused version of the tale; now called "The Order of the Seven," it's been in development for years, and, so says THR, will actually minimize the aspects associated with the Grimm legend. It will be trading those trappings for an ancient action storyline that will feature a band of warriors from around the world that, once downtrodden, are galvanized by meeting an English woman in China.

As recently as February, the film was in development under the title, "Snow and the Seven," and had what seems to be a similar storyline to what we see today: an Englishwoman goes to Hong Kong for her father's funeral and realizes that her evil stepmother was plotting her murder, at which point she turns to the warriors for protection. Natalie Portman was rumored to be semi-attached to that project, but whether that's still the case remains to be seen.

Whoever gets the lead, to the extent that the film is still loosely based on the fairytale, will have stiff competition to be the definitive live action face of the beloved princess. Kristen Stewart is starring as a warrior-in-training princess alongside Chris Hemsworth and Evil Queen Charlize Theron in "Snow White and the Huntsman," while Lily Collins will play a more traditional Snow White with Julia Roberts as Evil Queen and Armie Hammer as the dashing Prince.

Disney, why are you butchering one of your most beloved classics like this?! :cry: It's bad enough you screwed up with Alice in Wonderland, now you're ruining THIS?!

FAVORITE DISNEY MOVIES: Sleeping Beauty, Meet the Robinsons, Enchanted, The Lion King, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, Brave, and Lilo and Stitch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:00 am 
Limited Edition

Does Disney need a real remake of our beloved animated feature, let alone the first animated feature from Disney and America in general? Seriously?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:04 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

If the storyline was actually any good and/or intriguing in any way, then I'd be slightly open to it. Unfortunately, that synopsis sounds AWFUL. :x

Whilst it's good that they aren't trying to recreate the film with an identical story, and it's also good that they aren't doing it in a way to appeal to the braindead Twilight crowd, that action film idea sounds like dumb, lowest-common-denominator, cinematic trite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:11 am 
Limited Edition

I never understood Hollywoods fasination diong these Snow White titles lately...however if your are the studio that brought it to light why not do a live adaption of the cartoon done right...the whole thing could be really well do if done right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:14 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

This has been in development for years.

However, I wouldn't call it a remake. This film takes the concept of the Snow White fairy tale and translates it into a Chinese action epic. It's a reimagining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:35 am 
Platinum Edition

Thanks Umbrellafish, I was just going to say the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 am 
Special Edition

Can't we have ANY original ideas? I'm sorry, putting Snow White in China doesn't seem very original to me. :headshake:

I for one, am sick of remakes, reboots and sequels. It just seems everyone is copying everyone these days. Sorry, I needed to get that rant out. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:36 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Not so much reboots, but remakes and sequels have been going on since the beginning of cinema. It's nothing new.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:56 pm 
Collector's Edition

Image is not amused..

I honestly doubt that this is true, to be honest with you. That would be blasphemy if they ever did anything like that to the original story.

Truthfully, I believe the whole thing is just silly superstition. Some dopey person that thought it would be funny to joke around and post rumors like that.. :roll:

And when I say "Dopey" I do not mean the Dwarf.. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:06 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

No, no and a thousand times, NO!!!!!!!

There should be a law against this kind of shit!! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:28 pm 
Collector's Edition

ANOTHER Snow White-movie?

We're already getting two! Do we really need this one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:19 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:22 pm 
Special Edition

Disney's Snow White from 1937 was not the first time that this tale had been told. Disney's Snow White was not even the first time that this tale was made into a movie.

The tale of Snow White has been around for hundreds of years. So if Disney or anyone else makes a movie based on the tale of Snow White I see it as another movie version of the tale of Snow White.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:37 pm 
Special Edition

Been in development for a while, this isn't new.
That said, Shaolin Dwarfs is a much better idea then what Snow White and the Huntsman is looking like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:45 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Too lazy to post a facepalm pic right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:22 am 
Collector's Edition

OK well if this was anything like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland or Oz the Great and Powerful I would be interested but turning a fairytale into an action flick (which will flop) just = No.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:17 am 
Special Edition

Please let this be a joke.

:brick:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:32 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Why are people acting as if this is news?

Also, a Chinese warrior film loosely inspired by the original fairytale is not a remake of Disney's animated classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:34 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

PatrickvD wrote:

Also, a Chinese warrior film loosely inspired by the original fairytale is not a remake of Disney's animated classic.

Exactly This film has been in development since at least 2004, as I remember there being a discussion about it back then. I doubt it will get made for at least some time anyway, as two studios have different versions of the Snow White story in the pipeline already.

Plus, it is by all means more of a reimagining, and not a direct remake à la 101 Dalmatians.

Blog | Deviantart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:39 pm 
Special Edition

PatrickvD wrote:

Yes this is another version of the tale of Snow White that will be told in a different way. Disney's Snow White film from 1937 is one movie version base on the tale of Snow White and this new movie will be another movie version based on the tale of Snow White and it will be told in a very different way.