King of the Elves

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

SWillie! wrote:Hell, maybe that means that if they know hand drawn will be geared towards enthusiasts from now on, they'll make the stories more mature as well.

Another good point :up:

It would be great to see some alternatives to the Dreamworks fart humour, and this film certainly points in that direction, as do The Snow Queen and Wreck-It Ralph(terrible title by the way) It's unfortunate that they're all going to be in 3D, but if they're not simply aimed at toddlers then that's a good thing for Disney's profits, and a good thing in terms of their artistic value.
Last edited by Rose Dome on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Well, I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record, but it shouldn't be hard for Pooh to recoup its budget, right? It only cost $35 million to make, and that's pretty cheap for a hand-drawn movie.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Honor Hunter wrote:As of 2013, the next project to be moving down the pipeline is newly re-envisioned "King of the Elves," which has been chugging along under the direction of Chris Williams (something we reported exclusively last year). The storyboarding has been going on, new scenes are being written and the story structure is being tightened up. This CG animated feature should tentatively arrive during the holidays unless a kink in the production process pops up. I've heard many people asking if rumors of it being out of development were true and from what I know, it has continually been moving forward since last year.
Source: http://www.blueskydisney.com/2011/07/untitled-road.html
Steve Hulett wrote:A Chris Buck feature and King of the Elves are also moving briskly along.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... t-diz.html
Q: Paul, how does you’re job role of head of story differ from any other role in story department?

Paul Briggs: Well a story supervisor is more about managing this team. I am working directly with Chris Williams and a writer on a project now, trying to craft the beats of the story. I feel like I am managing a construction crew and we are laying the foundation now and the construction crew is going to get bigger and bigger and eventually animation will come in and then effects will come in.

Q: Is there any particular work that you have done in your career that you are particularly proud of that you can point out?

Paul Briggs: The work I am doing right now. [...] I am very proud of the amount of work and dedication I am putting into the film. I am excited to be under the leadership of Chris Williams.

Q: What are you all working on at the moment?

Paul Briggs: Yeah I am extremely excited about the future because of the leadership in place, I am excited about our directors and there amazing filmic sense and there ability, I am working with Chris Williams on a film that Chris is directing he just has one of those great story minds. I am excited about the future.
Source: http://www.skwigly.co.uk/disney-interview/
Q: Any more upcoming features, anything that you have up there in the future for you?

Peter del Vecho: Well, right after this, next year will be Wreck-It Ralph, a very funny CG movie about video games of the 60’s coming into the present day. Then we’ve got another movie, King of the Elves coming up, again a very different world. And then a movie that I'm working on that hasn't been announced yet. So, we have a big lineup of films coming up. In fact, we have more films in development that we can possibly put in production. So, it’s a great time at the studio.
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJWTX8TCaTA
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Not that we had any more doubts, but Peter del Vecho mentions KotE in this interview - so it seems it will be the 53rd/2013 WDAS feature.

I'm really looking forward to it!

Sotiris posted this in the "Current Slate of WDAS" thread:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GJWTX8TCaTA" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Last edited by Neal on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Neal wrote:Not that we had any more doubts, but Peter del Vecho mentions KotE in this interview - so it seems it will be the 52nd/2013 WDAS feature.
Tangled - 50th

Winnie the Pooh - 51st

Wreck-It Ralph - 52nd

King of the Elves - 53rd

:wink:
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Garr, 5 weeks away from college and my math has already failed. Excuse me, I need to go break out Brain Age for my DS and do some logic puzzles...
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

wow ... they do have a lot of projects in development!
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:wow ... they do have a lot of projects in development!
It's kind of a relief after hearing tales of low moral and John Lasseter's standards of what makes a good story constantly putting projects in and out of development.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Has King of the Elves been cancelled once again?
Jin Kim wrote:Character designs for a movie that has been shelved.
Source: http://cosmoanimato.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... signs.html
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

Well, I hope it's the previous version. Supposedly "KotE" was completely re-envisioned, so Shadrach may look different. It may not even be called KotE anymore!

If it got shelved again - wow - could that be a record? I mean it was in development, out, in, out over just two years or so.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:Is King of the Elves DEAD Again?

Character designer at WDAS, Jin Kim, posted on July 19, 2011 concept art for Shadrach Jones, the senior African-American protagonist of the King of the Elves, with the title "character designs for a movie that has been shelved".

http://cosmoanimato.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... signs.html

Do you think he might be referring to the previous incarnation of the film or has the film been cancelled once again?
2 things:

1) Awesome design!
2) Oh god, I hope not! I think he may mean is that it had been shelved once or he thinks it's still shelved. It better not be shelved! If it is, grrrrrr.... :x
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I kind of hope so. This has looked dull to me since the beginning. I'd rather they work on something else.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Seems odd to me that they would cancel King of the Elves so soon after an official press release with announced director and writer and everything. I imagine he's referring to the earlier version from a couple of years back.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Production Credits
Director - Chris Williams
Writer - Wallace Wolodarsky
Writer - Rob Edwards
Executive Producer - John Lasseter
Consulting Producer - Isa Dick Hackett
Producer - Laura Leslie
Producer - Roy Conli
Source Material - Philip K. Dick
Screenplay - Michael Markowitz
Casting Director - Jamie Roberts
Casting Assistant - Cymbre Walk
Producer - John Lasseter
Short Story Author - Philip K. Dick
Screenwriter - Michael Markowitz
Source: http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/439697/ ... es/credits
DisneyDude2010
Special Edition

Post by DisneyDude2010 »

Sotiris wrote:
estefan wrote:Seems odd to me that they would cancel King of the Elves so soon after an official press release with announced director and writer and everything. I imagine he's referring to the earlier version from a couple of years back.
It wasn't an official press release. It was a story Variety first posted using their own inside sources. Nothing has been officially announced so far.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118039315
Have you not watched this interview??
Is this not official enough for you ? :lol:
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GJWTX8TCaTA" frameborder="0"></iframe>

And this was uploaded a week ago!
it honestly looks like old concept art but the character will properly be very similar in the final movie :)
All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

I hate to say this... but from reading older posts on Jin Kim's blog, it seems as if he doesn't always say the most reliable or accurate things. Just throwin that out there.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyDude2010 wrote:Have you not watched this interview?
Yep since it was I who first posted this interview on the forum! :wink:
DisneyDude2010 wrote:Is this not official enough for you?
By "official" I mean an announcement or a press release from Disney.
DisneyDude2010 wrote:And this was uploaded a week ago!
A lot can happen within a week :P (I'm not saying that it has). With Disney anything is possible.
SWillie! wrote:I hate to say this... but from reading older posts on Jin Kim's blog, it seems as if he doesn't always say the most reliable or accurate things. Just throwin that out there.
What makes you say that? Could you give us an example?
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Sotiris wrote:By "official" I mean an announcement or a press release from Disney.
They only made the announcement for Wreck-It Ralph last month and that's due out next year so they could end up doing the same for King of the Elves seen as it's not due until 2013.

I don't know whether to believe the film has been cancelled again. The TAG blog that is referenced regularly on the forum seems to think it is still in production and Disney apparently only just hired a new screenwriter for the film so it would strike me as odd if it had been cancelled in the past few days. That being said, everything said about Disney animation these days is usually based only on rumour and speculation so who knows what will happen.
We're not going to Guam, are we?