DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:20 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sinbad's DVD Release Date Announced!

DreamWorks wasted no time in moving on after the very disappointing opening of its latest film in U.S. theaters. Coming Soon! reports that Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas will hit DVD shelves on November 18, 2003.

ahhhhh hahahahaha i feel so happy! I bet Katzenberg is eating his words right now! excuse me! what did you say about treasure planet? that is was galaxy away from treasure planet? ahahaha well you got that right MR! that's why your stupid movie didnt make nothing!! ahahahahha im so happy! ::does the happy dance:: :lol:

Last edited by MickeyMouseboy on Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:26 am 
Limited Edition

MMB, I'm getting the feeling that you don't care much for Mr. Ratzenburg, or all of DreamWorks for that matter. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:28 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Prince Phillip wrote:
MMB, I'm getting the feeling that you don't care much for Mr. Ratzenburg, or all of DreamWorks for that matter. :lol:

you got that right! his pain is my pleasure! :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:51 am 
Platinum Edition

Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(
Now I can understand why you would prefer to see a Disney film to a Dreamworks film - quite frankly their subject matter has been fairly dull.

However, the theatrical flopping of animation is not a good thing, and not something we should celebrate.

MMB, you are constantly going on about how much you hate DTV sequels. Your avatar (Stop Sequels - I'm not sure what that means? All sequels? Even good ones?) indicates you don't like the DTV animation.

However, if nobody goes and sees theatrical animation - and let's face it, Treasure Planet didn't really set the box office on fire either, and it was out on DVD pretty quickly - then all we are going to have is DTV animation.

Sure, I don't want to see Sinbad, but I see no reason to celebrate its failure. That in combination with other theatrical flops sends a clear message to naysayers and certain CEOs and heads of animation: 'traditional animation does return money at the box office - CGI and DTV all the way'.

That may not be a GOOD analysis, but it is one many money people will take.

Bad Sign 'O' the Times.... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:59 am 
Limited Edition

You make good points Loomis, but I am just going to blow over everything you just said to comment on the Avatar. I think it just refers to the cheap disney sequels. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:02 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

im just happy it flopped cause Katzenberg keeped going on about treasure planet and L&S been too good for his studio, that his studio was superior and wouldnt never make them. saying Disney is inferior to dreamworks rofl! he had something come to him! i just hate him that's why im happy his movie flopped and i would really enjoy seen sharkslayer and other future stuff flop too! he needs to stop his disney hating and maybe i will go spend money on his cheap animation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:08 am 
Limited Edition

NEVER MMB! You must never give into him! Even if he gets down and kisses the feet of the Walt Disney statue :lol: . You can not let him win, it's what he wants... I hope stupid Shark Slayer and gag Shrek 2 fail, show them that their CGI is not superior to traditional, however I fear this will not be the case :evil: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:26 am 
Limited Edition

Shrek 2 will do huge numbers, no doubt about it. I fully admit that I loved the first one but I'll most likely wait this one out for the DVD release (which will probably coincide with another Disney film premiere).

As for Sharkslayer, I think it will do well initially. But if the storyline is as dull as it sounds then it will lose steam quickly, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:24 am 
Platinum Edition

I think some people here don't appriciate how much input Katzenberg had in the Disney films of the late 80's/early 90's (especially early 90's) they love so much. :P

So Katzenberg is promoting his studio while making sly digs at his main competition. Of course he is. It's his job to for crying out loud. You can't hold that against him. Disney are just as pathetic by arranging to open "The Incredibles" (which it can be argued isn't even a Disney film, so it's success wouldn't really proove anything) against Sharkslayer.

As for Loomis' points. I agree 100%. All animation should be treated with respect, especially 'traditional' animation releases. Sinbad sinking will affect Disney's future releases just as much as Dreamworks (who may end up doing no further traditional animation films as a result). By biggest nightmare is Shrek 2 doing considerably more business than the first as it will send the totally wrong message to every studio lot in Hollywood. Not only with regards to CGI, but also with regards to placing as much emphasis on the voice talent than on the animators, which will be another nail in the coffin of animation as an art form. (The fees the voice artists are getting for a total of 10 days work or less is unbelievable!)

Utlimately Disney needs competition. It's the entire basis of the free market - competition is good. It encourages people to work harder and provide better value for money, while monopolies cause stagnation. Arguably one of the main reasons for Disney's reinvention in the late 80's was the threat of competition from ex-Disney animator Don Bluth (who sadly never lived up to his potential after the stunning Secret of NIMH, the film that scared Disney execs in the first place)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:02 am 
Limited Edition

Well stated, 2099.

Competition, especially successful competition, not only keeps you on your toes but ensures that you do not become complacent and let your own work slip down a notch or two.

And we all want a healthy animation genre 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:03 am 
Collector's Edition

<< By biggest nightmare is Shrek 2 doing considerably more business than the first as it will send the totally wrong message to every studio lot in Hollywood. Not only with regards to CGI, but also with regards to placing as much emphasis on the voice talent than on the animators, which will be another nail in the coffin of animation as an art form. (The fees the voice artists are getting for a total of 10 days work or less is unbelievable!) >>

Yes, that is very sad. I'm not saying that having "famous" people's voices is a bad thing, but it is a bad thing when companies consider that more important than the animation. So, odds are Disney will follow the trend in voicing, and decrease the production value for the animation...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:07 am 
Gold Collection

My whole dig with Katzenburg is that no matter how much he now claims that he has no ax to grind with Disney, his words and actions from the earliest days at Dreamworks just don't show that.

Yes, I've heard all the stories about how much influence Katzenburg had on the 1990s Disney films. But if that was the case, then how come Dreamworks has yet to produce a traditionally animated film that has been as successful both financially and critically as a Disney film. Just because Antz and Chicken Run marginally succeeded and CGI Shrek succeeded, everyone seems to forget blunders like The Road to El Dorado, bombs like Spirit, and overbloated The Prince of Egypt. And when Shrek II cleans up the box office next year, people are going to forget the failure of Sinbad and herald Katzenburg as some animation savior.

Katzenburg takes potshots at Disney and insults their films (as if their animated repetoire were any better) and, when the studio first started, that they were going to revolutionize animation. Well, as far as I can tell, Dreamworks' animated films have all ended up ripping off and hopelessly adhering to the "Disney formula" they claim to hate so much, even as Disney already began to deviate away from their formula. Don't even get me started on Shrek, which was just one giant crack at Disney. I wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't for the fact that at the heart of it all, Shrek's plot and its elements were hopelessly reliant on the Disney formula.

As for Dreamworks' role in promoting CGI over traditional animation, I can't really blame Dreamworks as I feel that Dreamworks, Disney, and Pixar all have collective blame for this. But that is another story...

Incidentally, I am pretty sad to hear this as I did think that Sinbad was a pretty good film, certainly better than most of Dreamworks' other animated efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:21 pm 
Limited Edition

I don't care for Katzenburg one way of the other, but he does sound like a jerk, even if he did have some part in the success of disney films, 15 years ago...

I personally don't see why disney didn't or couldn't sue, for Shrek, as a lot of it's characters were taken from disney movies, and were original disney characters. Why couldn't that dim wit, come up with his own characters or character designsa without looking so much like disneys. I think he has a grudge with disney and non of might know the exact reason why....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:58 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

SOME people here dont know the real Katzenberg story and how he sucks and it was him that influenced shit at disney. only made enemies and pushed the animators around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:03 pm 
Limited Edition

MickeyMouseboy wrote:
SOME people here dont know the real Katzenberg story and how he sucks and it was him that influenced shit at disney. only made enemies and pushed the animators around.

:lol: Tell us how you really feel! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:46 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

you really dont want that :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:12 pm 
Platinum Edition

MickeyMouseboy wrote:

I suppose this will all be in your autobiography, 'My Life With Kaztzenberg', where you will reveal what he is really like based on personal experience.

Just back to what 2099 and indiana said, I have to agree with that as well. Healthy competition is really what this industry needs. In fact, a good kick in the pants every now and then makes for good films. As 2099 has already said, Secret of NIMH (one of my fave books & films) gave such a kick to Disney. Animation is my first love, and Disney and Pixar just happen to be the best at the moment :P

And lay of Katzenberg :wink: As everyone points out here from time to time, Eisner is just as big an arsehole, which will be revealed in my autobiography 'My Life with Eisner' :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:09 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Eisner did something positive for the Walt Disney Company as a whole back in the days now is different. Katzenberg did shit, nothing, zippppp.......a. only made alot of people angry, making other people stop trusting disney, other stop working for disney, he was disloyal and didnt keep contracts. he was the cause for robbie williams not wanting to work for disney after the first aladdin! buy my book Life in the Walt Disney Company 83-03 -Special Edition- comes with pictures and is autographed by me! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:17 pm 

I still agree. While yes, I have absolutely NO interest in this film whatsoever, the fact that "Kangaroo Jack" did infinitely better is depressing and a major blow to traditional animation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:24 pm 
Platinum Edition

MickeyMouseboy wrote:
he was the cause for robbie williams not wanting to work for disney after the first aladdin!

That is a bad thing?

Oh, did you mean Robin Williams?

Two very different beasts.

The former is an absolute tosser from the UK, the latter is a very funny man.