Tangled Discussion Part VI: Let the Drama continue...

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Wonderlicious wrote:
tsom wrote:Now that I think about it, it saddens me that the Brothers Grimm weren't credited. I don't know why though. I've always liked the credit to Hans Christian Andersen in the end credits of TLM and the Charles Perrault credit in the beginning of Cinderella.
Well, of course, there's also no on-screen credit to Jeanne-Marie Le Prince de Beaumont for Beauty and the Beast. Perhaps because that name's a bit long winded. ;)
I was thinking about that too! They could have written "Madame de Beaumont". Haha. I think it would have been funny if Lion King credited Hamlet. Lol
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

New Rapunzel doll:

I thought of you guys when I read 'New deluxe sparkle gown'! :lol:
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Mmmadelon wrote:New Rapunzel doll:

I thought of you guys when I read 'New deluxe sparkle gown'! :lol:
Still despise her face. haha I can't wait for everyone's reaction on the sparkles!
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

@ Mmmadelon: did Rapunzel have plastic surgery all gone wrong?!
tsom wrote:I was thinking about that too! They could have written "Madame de Beaumont". Haha. I think it would have been funny if Lion King credited Hamlet. Lol
They should've written "this tale was ripped off from Kimba the White Lion" on The Lion King's end credits.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Is this Rapunzel: Bristol Palin edition?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Is this Rapunzel: Bristol Palin edition?

That or Botox....or Maybe a little girl gave her a cookie that didn't agree with Rapunzel's Allergies :P (I can't embed it just click on it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrhO7pLi ... re=related
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Is Disney trying to make us blind with these sparkles so we can't tell if their new movies are CGI or hand drawn? :P
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Goliath wrote: They should've written "this tale was ripped off from Kimba the White Lion" on The Lion King's end credits.
Even though it really isn't a rip-off of Kimba to begin with LOL
Last edited by Super Aurora on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Super Aurora wrote:
Goliath wrote: They should've written "this tale was ripped off from Kimba the White Lion" on The Lion King's end credits.
Even it really isn't a rip-off of Kimba to begin with LOL
Explain.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

SWillie! wrote:
Super Aurora wrote: Even it really isn't a rip-off of Kimba to begin with LOL
Explain.
The story itself is entirely different, the plot is different, the themes and message is different, and there is numerous characters differences such as use of humans(who do play central role in the series). All of this especially in the manga.

If you're thinking of that one site that points all "rip-off". The author of that site really only pick and chooses obvious similarities. It's blatantly obvious the that web author is a weeboo. And if you know anything about the anime community, it's that weeboos take Japanese obsession to a high bias level.

Most of the people who cry rip-off between the two haven't even seen or read the series. Goliath himself even admit he hasn't seen or read the series and yet still says it's a rip-off nonetheless. After Big One and I decided to read and watch the series, we realize that the two are really much much different.

At best Lion King draws few influences from Kimba the white Lion but as a whole the two are way different.

But if you really want to know for yourself, go read or watch the series( suggest read the manga though) and judge for yourself.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Goliath wrote:@ Mmmadelon: did Rapunzel have plastic surgery all gone wrong?!
tsom wrote:I was thinking about that too! They could have written "Madame de Beaumont". Haha. I think it would have been funny if Lion King credited Hamlet. Lol
They should've written "this tale was ripped off from Kimba the White Lion" on The Lion King's end credits.
Which, in turn, was ripped off from Hamlet.....if it were anything like Lion King of course.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

ajmrowland wrote:
Which, in turn, was ripped off from Hamlet.....if it were anything like Lion King of course.
And Kimba White Lion's story isn't even close or have any parallels close to Hamlet to begin with.

Lion King is about the theme of cycle of nature and a boy becoming an adult and reclaiming his kingdom and realizing who he must be.

Kimba the White Lion is about a Lion who learns that only communication and mutual understanding between animals and humans will bring true peace.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

exactly. I did say "if it were anything like TLK".
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Lots of 'Tangled' artwork by Kevin Nelson
http://artofkevinnelson.blogspot.com/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I've found this fan-made poster, and thought it's too pretty not to share. :P :wink:

Also:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

Super Aurora wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:
And Kimba White Lion's story isn't even close or have any parallels close to Hamlet to begin with.

Lion King is about the theme of cycle of nature and a boy becoming an adult and reclaiming his kingdom and realizing who he must be.

Kimba the White Lion is about a Lion who learns that only communication and mutual understanding between animals and humans will bring true peace.
The fact that so many people may not have even heard of Kimba before The Lion King came out shows how grossly exaggerated the claims of plagiarism are.
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

What does being familiar with Kimba have to do about how valid it is? plagiarism has nothing to do with public perception and/or ignorance.

I don't know what to believe but it certainly looks suspicious to me. Not story wise but visually.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Yeah... I mean, Super Aurora, I believe you that the stories may be totally different, but visually, there are multiple screenshots that are exactly the same... it's hard to flat out deny something like this:

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

SWillie! wrote:Yeah... I mean, Super Aurora, I believe you that the stories may be totally different, but visually, there are multiple screenshots that are exactly the same... it's hard to flat out deny something like this:

Well, to be honest. In Africa... there are lions... that sometimes stand on rocks. If two movies feature such an 'unusual' phenomenon, it doesn't mean one ripped off the other.

If a lion standing on a rock looking out over the land is plagiarism then Disney should watch out. These two are gonna sue them any day now:

SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Obviously lions stand on rocks. But to say that a rock that looks just like Pride Rock is "common" is kinda bs... plus it's not like that's the only example. Hasn't everyone seen these already?

Like I said, I believe that the stories are not the same. But to say that the compositions and visual ideas are just coincidence is probably stretching it. I mean, I don't have a problem with it, as Disney obviously did a better job at it and I love The Lion King. But you can bet that they did their research when they did this movie, and I'm sure someone came upon Kimba at some point and, consciously or not, had those ideas in their head and used them.