Flynn Rider and Prince Naveen kicked out of Disney Parks

All topics relating to Disney theme parks, resorts, and cruises.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Oh I thought I see them sometimes when I'm at Disney World.
They're mostly only seen in parades but they can, very rarely, be found in Animal Kingdom. When I was younger, Brer Fox and Brer Bear were always at the exit to Splash Mountain and were a lot more visible in the parks, as is the case with a lot of characters who have vanished in recent years.

The solution isn't to remove other characters to keep Flynn Rider and Naveen; Disney need more characters in the parks, not continually remove them until all that is left is Mickey and his friends, the Pooh characters, the Princesses and Pixar characters.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

Now it'll be easier for me to flirt with Rapunzel and Tiana! ;-)
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

SWillie! wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:But, if it's for budget cuts, why can't they remove the least pouplar ones like Brer Fox, Brer Bear etc.? (No offense to their fans).
Brer Bear and Brer Fox don't make appearances in Disney World. I don't know about Disneyland, but definitely not here. They're only in parades (and rarely at that.)
I've seen them in Splash Mountain!
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote: The solution isn't to remove other characters to keep Flynn Rider and Naveen; Disney need more characters in the parks, not continually remove them until all that is left is Mickey and his friends, the Pooh characters, the Princesses and Pixar characters.
That's essentially what they're probably planning on trying to do.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

SWillie! wrote:Pinkrenata, you have the completely wrong idea as to why they are getting rid of the characters.

As a Cast Member, I know for certain that Flynn and Naveen are leaving because of budget reasons.
pinkrenata wrote:And we all know Disney is more about appealing to the masses than individuals, and they also get to pay a few less people for the day.
Actually, I was right. I was just trying to add a personal touch to some other theories. :)
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

SWillie! wrote:[

Brer Bear and Brer Fox don't make appearances in Disney World. I don't know about Disneyland, but definitely not here. They're only in parades (and rarely at that.)
They still appear in Disneyland. No one cares though. So... surprised they still us these characters and not the princes. Same for Peter, Alice and the Hatter. I mean I enjoy them, but they just roam around the park.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

pinkrenata wrote:Actually, I was right. I was just trying to add a personal touch to some other theories. :)
Touche.

And to those of you who have seen SotS characters near Splash - how recent was this? I could certainly be wrong, as Disney does every once in a while pull a completely random character out of the hat. But they definitely aren't a regular thing there (although they should absolutely be, it only makes sense).
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

milojthatch wrote:This is a joke, but online petitions don't work. I'd head up an online campaign, but I'm kind of all ready busy doing that for something else Disney related. But I support any efforts to keep the princes in the park. What a joke. I agree, it goes against the reason they changed the titled to "Tangled" in the first place!
How did you do this online campaign that apparently works more than a petition? And why didn't you start one when Rapunzel was being re-named to Tangled in the first place?!
PrincePhillipFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by PrincePhillipFan »

I just found out about this subject recently, and this honestly just pisses me off. I understand bugetary cutbacks, but it baffles me why Flynn and Naveen since they're two of the most popular recent characters Disney has now. Most importantly, I feel like this really alienates the young boys from Disney once again. For a while now, Disney moans about they're not able to reach the young male audience, and it's because of moves like this where they shoot themselves in the foot. Not every boy likes pirates or Pixar or *gasp* Mickey Mouse. So where can a little boy then meet an animated hero he might like in the parks, like Phillip, Naveen, Flynn, Beast, Eric, Herc, etc?

I think these two stories from TV Tropes perfectly sum up my feelings:
"•Disney has opened Bibbity-Bobbity Boutiques in several of their theme parks, in which little girls can have their hair done, get a small amount of makeup applied, and are dressed up as one of the many "Disney Princesses". Boys who might want to dress up as Prince Charming from Cinderella or Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid are out of luck, because no such service is available.
◦When asked about this seeming discrimination, one Disney executive admitted that "we figured that since little girls are special, they'd want to look special. It never occurred to us that a little boy might want a fancy costume too."
◦The Pirates League, at the Magic Kingdom, allows little boys to dress up like pirates and is being presented as an alternative, though Disney's admitted they've still received complaints because "girls can dress up like pirates too, but no boy can dress up like a prince." This is an especially frustrating Double Standard as Disney has outright admitted to writing many their male characters (Eric, Aladdin, Flynn...) to try and appeal to young boys."

I understand that Disney Princesses are one of the biggest money makers and Disney marketing of course wants to cash in on it. But I'm sick of hearing them bitch about how they can't reach the young boys audience, when they won't promote the heroes, and not every boy is into pirates.
-Tim
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

They'd better not get rid of Alice and friends, they really need their own meet and greet area as the lines were getting a lot longer than they were in days past LOL

I think it's a real shame to lose these two though, why can't they just do away with double characters in the parks and keep them? You can find Aurora in MK and Epcot, Belle, Snow White and Alice the same even Cinderella is sometimes at Epcot but Epcot is the only place we have been able to the find Beast
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Now, I heard it's not Flynn anymore....it's Rapunzel?!?! :o

FROM MOUSEPLANET.COM (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9671/Walt_Di ... ort_Update):
If you'd like to meet Flynn Rider at the Tangled meet-and-greet in the Magic Kingdom, get there before the end of this week. We're hearing a rumor that the rogue will be abandoning Rapunzel to help provide a faster throughput for the location. It seems Disney would like to get a higher guests-per-hour count. Perhaps as Rapunzel approaches her formal induction into the Disney Royal Princess Court, she no longer needs Mr. Rider to draw the fans.
I think they mean Flynn. :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Now, I heard it's not Flynn anymore....it's Rapunzel?!?! :o

If you'd like to meet Flynn Rider at the Tangled meet-and-greet in the Magic Kingdom, get there before the end of this week. We're hearing a rumor that the rogue will be abandoning Rapunzel to help provide a faster throughput for the location. It seems Disney would like to get a higher guests-per-hour count. Perhaps as Rapunzel approaches her formal induction into the Disney Royal Princess Court, she no longer needs Mr. Rider to draw the fans.
Actually, the rogue they are talking about is Flynn, so they mean it is Flynn who will be abandoning Rapunzel...as in he's leaving her, as in he's leaving the parks. They got it right.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Disney Duster wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:Now, I heard it's not Flynn anymore....it's Rapunzel?!?! :o

Actually, the rogue they are talking about is Flynn, so they mean it is Flynn who will be abandoning Rapunzel...as in he's leaving her, as in he's leaving the parks. They got it right.
Ohhhhhh gotcha! :oops: I wonder why they didnt mention Naveen unless hes already gone.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

-
Last edited by Dr Frankenollie on Tue May 21, 2019 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Out of interest, could anyone make an accurate estimate of how much it would cost Disney per-day to keep two face characters like Flynn Rider and Naveen?
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:I don't think milojthatch meant that he doesn't like the fact Rapunzel was re-named Tangled; he meant that getting rid of Flynn Rider is going against the reason the title was changed (to appeal to boys as well as girls). He's right; yes, girls go to meet the princes and princesses more, but the absence of characters they can relate to will start to dissuade more and more boys from meeting characters. Hopefully this will backfire on Disney and Flynn and Naveen will be reinstated eventually.
Actually from what I remember everyone here didn't like the title change including him and if you can say "hopefully this will eventually backfire on Disney" then I can say "hopefully the title change in the first place backfires on Disney someday, maybe not anytime soon, or maybe it already has begun and we don't know it, but someday".
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:Out of interest, could anyone make an accurate estimate of how much it would cost Disney per-day to keep two face characters like Flynn Rider and Naveen?
I'm just pulling out random ideas, but in addition to paying the actors playing the roles each day, there is also upkeep of the costumes (cleaning, repair, sizing, etc.) Depending upon how many hours the actors work and how much they are paid, it should cost them <i>at least</i> $100 a day per prince. Which makes it $700 - $1400 a week. Or so I imagine.

And, let's face it. Yes, they are good role models for boys. But the princesses really are the main attraction. How many people, realistically, are going to see Tiana/Rapunzel signing autographs and think, "Oh, Naveen/Flynn aren't there. I guess I'll pass."
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Is Naveen still there b/c all I hear is about Flynn leaving, not Naveen
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Yesterday I was at The Magic Kingdom and at around 1:30pm I saw Tiana near Liberty Square all by herself, but later on in the evening close to 8pm I found Tiana and Naveen in the same location. They were both in the parade that afternoon as well.

I only walked past the Rapunzel meet and greet area once and didn't find Flynn. Perhaps they are only limiting meeting the two princes?