Cars 2 in 2011 and series of Cars shorts

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

It seems even the positive reviews are only so-so. It seems Pixar has found itself it's first true clunker.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Toonzone appears to give ths film a positive review:

http://www.toonzone.net/news/articles/3 ... f-the-line
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Sotiris wrote:
estefan wrote:This is beyond surreal for a Pixar film, but Cars 2 now sits at a 59% on Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cars-2/
The original which was worse than the sequel gained 74%. Perhaps the critics are being harsher in their review due to their opinion of the original.
I haveta agree with this. I still think the original gets too much flak. Oh well, so much for being able to get any money out of selling my Cars 2 passes. I probably will just use them even though my friend wasn't interested in going.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Bought the soundtrack for "Cars 2" and am knocked out by the people involved in this music. Weezer doing a cover version of The Car's "You Might Think" was quite a surprise, and I liked the Brad Paisley song.

All in this is about the same quality as the original "Cars" soundtrack. Really like this one a lot.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

RIPJoeRanft wrote:
milojthatch wrote: YES!!!!!
haha. that HAS been their bread and butter over the years. but still, going a little more cartoony, humor-driven, and action-oriented for one film is not the end of the world. pixar is too smart to change the formula too much.
Stories worth telling will pull at the heart strings at least a little. Think of the best DAC. The best did this at least a little. Films that just are nothing short of explosions and effects rarely do that well ultimately. Even the few that may do well at the box office are forgotten over time, whereas the ones with heart are still popular and remembered.
Disney-Fan wrote:It seems even the positive reviews are only so-so. It seems Pixar has found itself it's first true clunker.
Possibly. We'll have to wait a few days to find out.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

We won't get Cars 2 in the UK for another month so for those of you who see it in America, as well as the film is the new Toy Story short, Hawaiian Vacation, good?
We're not going to Guam, are we?
RIPJoeRanft
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RIPJoeRanft »

dvdjunkie wrote:Bought the soundtrack for "Cars 2" and am knocked out by the people involved in this music. Weezer doing a cover version of The Car's "You Might Think" was quite a surprise, and I liked the Brad Paisley song.

All in this is about the same quality as the original "Cars" soundtrack. Really like this one a lot.
Agreed. I hate country music, but the Brad Paisley number "Nobody's Fool" is a surprisingly good, well-crafted song. The guitar work is great, chorus is catchy, and the vibe a little bluesy. Weezer covering The Cars is a fantastic thing, and the song in French sounds like a gorgeous, wonderful Giacchino gem.

Not really crazy about the other two songs, one techno cut sang in Japanese and the other a decent Paisley/Robbie Williams duet that runs during the credits (the nice riffs and some of the funny lyrics comparing US and Britain are my favorite parts of that song).

And the score itself is sleek, smooth, fun Bond-esque work from Giacchino.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

IGN gives thew film 3 out of 5 stars:
http://movies.ign.com/articles/117/1177660p1.html
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

I seen this movie today and enjoyed it, but at the same time I'm left thinking did I really enjoy it (if you know what I mean). The conclusion also seems a little out of it, but makes enough sense (Just really the identity of the villain).

So, I thought the movie was good, but I'd have to watch it again to really make a decision.

There's nothing at the end of the credits and the only thing to look forward to during the credits is credit art eg. Stationery, with names on it et cetera.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

estefan wrote:This is beyond surreal for a Pixar film, but Cars 2 now sits at a 59% on Rotten Tomatoes:
It's now at 48%, with 17 rotten and 16 fresh. I kinda expected a cold response, to be honest. I doubt that it'll be a full-out financial disaster, but I'm sure it could do some reputation tarnishing. :|
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^With only a total of 33 reviews, I think it'll pull up eventually. Remember, this is still cars and RT means almost nothing to the average moviegoer.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

mum and i saw it today. it was not at all what i was expecting and i honestly dont know if i love it or not. i did enjoy it, but i dont think itll be one that i watch often once its out on blu.
big kid at heart
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Did it get released in New Zealand before the US? Lame! Kind of ticks me off how many US films are getting releases outside of the US before finally being shown in the US. Call me crazy, but I just think a films country of origin should get to see it first, or at least as the same time as every other country.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
NeverLand
Gold Classic Collection

Post by NeverLand »

milojthatch wrote:Did it get released in New Zealand before the US? Lame! Kind of ticks me off how many US films are getting releases outside of the US before finally being shown in the US. Call me crazy, but I just think a films country of origin should get to see it first, or at least as the same time as every other country.
I agree with you :)
I live in the middle east and the premiere was yesterday ..
To be honest I'm not excited very much for the movie .. but I will go tomorrow with my little brother to see it in the IMAX theater ..
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

milojthatch wrote:Did it get released in New Zealand before the US? Lame! Kind of ticks me off how many US films are getting releases outside of the US before finally being shown in the US. Call me crazy, but I just think a films country of origin should get to see it first, or at least as the same time as every other country.
Chauvinistic much? Hollywood makes most of its money outside the US. It's not the center of the universe.

They're simply selecting dates of release best fitted for the many different countries. How does NZ getting it before the US affect you?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Not to mention, it helps build early word-of-mouth through Twitter and other social media websites. I think, if Thor had not opened earlier in England, Australia and other countries, it would not have had as strong an opening weekend in the United States. People were rather iffy about it beforehand, but the positive word from international waters helped it gain a more interested audience domestically. Paramount is also applying that strategy to Tintin.

With the rather low RT rating, I wonder if John Lasseter will retool how the Pixar brain trust works over there and at Disney. I mean, a director he plans on booting off of a project could easily say "Umm, aren't you the guy who directed Cars 2?"
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

estefan wrote:With the rather low RT rating, I wonder if John Lasseter will retool how the Pixar brain trust works over there and at Disney. I mean, a director he plans on booting off of a project could easily say "Umm, aren't you the guy who directed Cars 2?"
To which he could reply "yes, I also directed Toy Story 1 & 2". Even if Cars 2 turns out to be a massive flop, that would still only be one blemish amongst a lot of other huge achievements by John Lasseter.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Oh, you're just jealous. ;)

I think that it's just a matter of convenience or necessity that some have marginally got this earlier than the US. For example, films in France are always released on a Wednesday (I think it's by law that they have to be released then), so there have been cases where films with pretty much simultaneous openings around the world have ended up opening in France before the US. In this case as with most, there's only a difference of a day or two, so getting too worked up about it is a bit silly. Plus, normally, other countries get some films far later than the US, with a wait normally between two and four months. And up until around fifteen or twenty years ago, the waits for basically everything were between six months and a year.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Entertainment Weekly gave Cars 2 a B-; that's their lowest grade for a Pixar film, I think. They called it "forced and overloaded."
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:
estefan wrote:With the rather low RT rating, I wonder if John Lasseter will retool how the Pixar brain trust works over there and at Disney. I mean, a director he plans on booting off of a project could easily say "Umm, aren't you the guy who directed Cars 2?"
To which he could reply "yes, I also directed Toy Story 1 & 2". Even if Cars 2 turns out to be a massive flop, that would still only be one blemish amongst a lot of other huge achievements by John Lasseter.
Or, to which he could reply...

"You're fired."