DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:28 pm 
Special Edition

Crossing my fingers for some cast recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:34 pm 
Platinum Edition

PatrickvD wrote:
ChrisLyne wrote:
Prince Edward wrote:
Jafar already cast?! Please, please, please: Let it be Jonathan Freeman!!!^^

Wish Granted!!!

Playbill have confirmed Jonathan Freeman is reprising his role as Jafar for the new stage musical in Seattle!!!

Okay, now they need to bring this thing to Broadway. And release the cast recording. This is epic.

Oh! now I need to pay more attention to this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:12 am 
Special Edition

I've added pictures of all the main cast to my http://aladdinmusical.blogspot.com/ including the first official picture of Adam Jacobs as Aladdin (kindly provided by The 5th Avenue Theatre)

Show's looking great so far, can't wait to see more in the next few weeks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:04 pm 
Limited Edition

I have yet to see any Disney stage production. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:54 pm 
Special Edition

Neal, if you ever get the chance I highly recommend them! The Little Mermaid is currently my favorite (despite what the critics say) and made me a lifelong fan of both Sierra Boggess and Norm Lewis.

But that could change when Aladdin comes out this summer (so wish I could see it!! I'm still praying for an official tour!) as Aladdin's been my favorite classic since I was a kid.

And now I'm extremely happy to be able to present an interview with Adam Jacobs, who will be playing Aladdin in Seattle this summer;

http://aladdinmusical.blogspot.com/2011/06/theres-so-much-more-to-me.html

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:57 pm 
Collector's Edition

Interesting interview! I do hope this show will go to Broadway so that we get a cast recording with Jonathan Freeman...

Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:57 pm 
Platinum Edition

When I first saw the picture of Adam Jacobs, I totally thought that he looks the part of Aladdin! But, seeing the red...I'm not feeling the vest! Maybe it will grow on me, but I like the original purple...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:39 am 
Special Edition

New promo pictures posted on the blog. The vest is patchwork, but looking at the new promos, the purples do stand out just as much as the reds.

Also if you're in Seattle next Tuesday make sure you go to 5th Avenue's website and book now for a free preview where cast and crew will be discussing the show and performing some of the songs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:34 pm 
Platinum Edition

Jonathan Freeman returns as Jafar in new stage musical version of Disney's "Aladdin".
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... -quot.aspx

It'a nice article. Give it a look-see. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:56 pm 
Special Edition

That is a very nice article!

Updates just keep coming now! I've updated the blog with new images of Aladdin and Jasmine, as well as a link to the teaser commercial that aired during the Tony Awards.

But the big news is this;

http://www.king5.com/new-day-northwest/A-first-look-at-Aladdin-the-musical--123773659.html

Courtney Reed (Princess Jasmine) performing the deleted Ashman/Menken song "Call Me a Princess" on New Day Northwest earlier today!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:17 pm 
Platinum Edition

ChrisLyne wrote:
But the big news is this;

http://www.king5.com/new-day-northwest/A-first-look-at-Aladdin-the-musical--123773659.html

Courtney Reed (Princess Jasmine) performing the deleted Ashman/Menken song "Call Me a Princess" on New Day Northwest earlier today!!

:shock: Wow, great find! Thanks!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:06 am 
Special Edition

Glad you like it!

5th Avenue have very kindly provided me with a very special voice mail message from a certain Grand Vizier! Check it out at the blog!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:11 am 
Platinum Edition

ChrisLyne wrote:
5th Avenue have very kindly provided me with a very special voice mail message from a certain Grand Vizier! Check it out at the blog!

Just did! What a funny and clever way to announce the change. :wink:

Btw, do you happen to know if they are planning to release an Original Cast Recording CD and when?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:37 am 
Collector's Edition

Chris, your blog is great! Wouldn't it be awesome if they sent you free tickets?!?!

In terms of "Call me a Princess," I knew the song would be in this production. It's too good of a song and it would have been a shame if it wasn't included. I saw it functioning as Jasmine's introduction song and I figured she sings it when she tries to scare off potential suitors OR she really is spoiled when the story begins, but as the play progresses, she changes into a whole new person by the time "A Whole New World" is performed. Or, at least, that's how I would have written it. Hahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:53 am 
Special Edition

Thanks for all the great comments everyone!

Sotiris - I'm afraid that when I interviewed Adam the other week he said whilst he'd love to do a cast recording he didn't think there would be one unless the show went to Broadway as cast recordings don't sell as well as they used to :(

Tsom - Courtney gives the context for the song in the interview after her performance and I have to say it works really well!

I'm certainly not expecting any free tickets for the show. In all honesty the first thing I said when I got in contact with 5th Avenue to ask if they could include me on the press mailouts was that I was't after anything like free tickets or anything that would cost them money. They've been incredibly good to me, going way further than they had to in providing things like the Jafar message.

In all honesty even if they offered me the tickets I would have to politely decline or request permission to give them away via the blog as there's no way I can go to the show. I get married 15th July and I'm going to Disney World for my honeymoon in September/October and there's no way I could afford to fly to the US twice in one year (to quote Genie "I know, I've looked"). But then if I had been able to go then I may never have started the blog, which has proved to be an extremely rewarding experience for me, so I've just about made my peace with not see the show... I'm just praying for an official tour with as much of this cast as possible next year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:00 am 
Collector's Edition

Haha, I guess I was right (about the song)!

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the show will be available ilegally somehow...

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! July 15th is my birthday :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:51 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

This has to come to Broadway. It's such a more obvious and natural piece for Broadway than Little Mermaid or Tarzan.

And "Call me a Princess" works wonderfully as a 'snarky act' by Jasmine to get her suitors to back off. Unlike Mermaid, this could actually be a big hit. And I had no idea it was directed by the guy that co-directed "The Book of Mormon"... another fabulously awesome show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:54 pm 
Special Edition

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it. Just got in from a dancing lesson (my fiancee's dance teacher offered to help us with the dance) and I totally have 2 left feet! Hope you have a great birthday!

I'm pretty certain that most (if not all) of the songs will be on youtube before the show even has it's official opening night, but I certainly won't be posting any links on the blog. 5th Avenue has been too good to me and I wouldn't want to repay that by linking to pirate videos (at least, not without getting permission first, not sure what their policy is with stuff like that, Disney seemed pretty strict when TLM came out, but looking at youtube I don't think Wicked even cares).

Plus even if people do see some or even all of the show that way, it's not the same experience. That's one thing I don't understand about Disney - why they won't release the shows officially on DVD? I know they worry about it affecting ticket sales, but as far as I'm aware no other Broadway show that's released the show on DVD (as a movie, a direct stage recording or a concert version) has lost seat sales because of it. If anything they've probably had a net gain in sales! I mean look at Wicked - how many pirate videos are there on youtube for that show? It certainly doesn't look like they've hurt sales!

Beauty and the Beast, Tarzan and The Little Mermaid aren't even being performed anymore! They (currently) have no plans for Aladdin after this pilot production (hopefully sales and reviews will change this). So there's even less to loose! And even if they released the show in perfect Blu-Ray quality it could never completely capture the experience of being there and seeing the live performance. People know this, and if they've like a $20 DVD they may be more likely to pay the $70+ per ticket to see the show live. To give an example - hearing Sierra Boggess belt out Part of Your World on the TLM Cast Album is one thing, but nothing compares to seeing her do it live and feeling the hairs on your neck stand up as she hits those notes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:07 pm 
Collector's Edition

That Jafar message was funny^^ It would be a shame if Disney don't release a cast recording with Jonathan Freeman as Jafar. I can't believe why Disney don't see the potential in Aladdin as a Broadway musical... It has the famous music and characters "everybody" knows, and a entertaining and adventerous story. Aladdin would be perfect! If Mary Poppins can do it, then Aladdin certainly can!

Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:46 pm 
Special Edition

Who's he? Why ME!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dZCJrzGc7E

Watch and enjoy!

I really need a flying carpet, a magic lamp, or a winning lottery ticket! And I think I'd have more luck with the carpet or lamp than with the lottery!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next