Aladdin on Broadway

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

I know!!!

I want (at the LEAST) an official Seattle Cast Recording. If they won't reconsider Broadway then a National Tour with the same cast in 2012 would be the next best thing. I can't make Seattle this year as I'm getting married, but I'd save like mad to get to one of the tour cities next year!

If Disney stick to the plan of just doing this "pilot production" then licensing it out (no Broadway, no official Disney tour) then a cast recording is a must. And I'd die happy if they put a recording of the show on the Aladdin 20th Anniversary Blu-Ray/DVD.

I know they've never released on of their Broadway shows on DVD, but if this is just a pilot for licensing out then surely it's not the same thing and they could at least consider it!
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

PatrickvD wrote:
ChrisLyne wrote: Wish Granted!!!

Playbill have confirmed Jonathan Freeman is reprising his role as Jafar for the new stage musical in Seattle!!!
Okay, now they need to bring this thing to Broadway. And release the cast recording. This is epic.
This is SO cool!:D Disney HAVE to give Aladdin the full Broadway-treatment now, at the very least release a cast recording. Oh, oh oh - Freeman in costume, and Jafar finally getting to sing songs... Incredible!^^
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Jonathan Freeman Takes on Jafar in 5th Ave's ALADDIN!
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Jonath ... 0506_page1

Jonathan Freeman Will Bring Jafar from Screen to Stage in Disney's Aladdin at 5th Avenue
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/15 ... th-Avenue-
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Adam Jacobs has been cast as Aladdin in the upcoming Seattle production of Aladdin: The New Stage Musical!

From his website;

"Adam is currently rehearsing for the world premiere of Aladdin as the title character at Seattle’s 5th Avenue Theater! Show runs 7/7 through 7/31."

Adam has just finished playing Simba in the national tour of The Lion King (a role he will go back to on Broadway in August), which means this guy can really sing!

I think he really looks the part, and he sounds good in the few youtube videos I could find.

Broadway World's messageboards have also mentioned Courtney Reed as Princess Jasmine, James Monroe Iglehart as Genie and Andrew Kennan-Bolger is believed to be Omar. But I've not found confirmation of these yet. Hopefully a full announcement will be coming pretty soon as rehearsals have now started!
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

kenai3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by kenai3000 »

Nice to hear that Jonathan Freeman is reprising his role as Jafar.
Disney is awesome, and was the biggest part of my childhood.
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

Crossing my fingers for some cast recording.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

PatrickvD wrote:
ChrisLyne wrote: Wish Granted!!!

Playbill have confirmed Jonathan Freeman is reprising his role as Jafar for the new stage musical in Seattle!!!
Okay, now they need to bring this thing to Broadway. And release the cast recording. This is epic.
Oh! now I need to pay more attention to this!
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

I've added pictures of all the main cast to my http://aladdinmusical.blogspot.com/ including the first official picture of Adam Jacobs as Aladdin (kindly provided by The 5th Avenue Theatre)

Show's looking great so far, can't wait to see more in the next few weeks!
Neal
Anniversary Edition

Post by Neal »

I have yet to see any Disney stage production. :?
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Neal, if you ever get the chance I highly recommend them! The Little Mermaid is currently my favorite (despite what the critics say) and made me a lifelong fan of both Sierra Boggess and Norm Lewis.

But that could change when Aladdin comes out this summer (so wish I could see it!! I'm still praying for an official tour!) as Aladdin's been my favorite classic since I was a kid.

And now I'm extremely happy to be able to present an interview with Adam Jacobs, who will be playing Aladdin in Seattle this summer;

http://aladdinmusical.blogspot.com/2011 ... to-me.html

Enjoy!
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Interesting interview! I do hope this show will go to Broadway so that we get a cast recording with Jonathan Freeman...
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

When I first saw the picture of Adam Jacobs, I totally thought that he looks the part of Aladdin! But, seeing the red...I'm not feeling the vest! Maybe it will grow on me, but I like the original purple...
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

New promo pictures posted on the blog. The vest is patchwork, but looking at the new promos, the purples do stand out just as much as the reds.

Also if you're in Seattle next Tuesday make sure you go to 5th Avenue's website and book now for a free preview where cast and crew will be discussing the show and performing some of the songs!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Jonathan Freeman returns as Jafar in new stage musical version of Disney's "Aladdin".
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief ... -quot.aspx

It'a nice article. Give it a look-see. :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

That is a very nice article!

Updates just keep coming now! I've updated the blog with new images of Aladdin and Jasmine, as well as a link to the teaser commercial that aired during the Tony Awards.

But the big news is this;

http://www.king5.com/new-day-northwest/ ... 73659.html

Courtney Reed (Princess Jasmine) performing the deleted Ashman/Menken song "Call Me a Princess" on New Day Northwest earlier today!!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ChrisLyne wrote:But the big news is this;

http://www.king5.com/new-day-northwest/ ... 73659.html

Courtney Reed (Princess Jasmine) performing the deleted Ashman/Menken song "Call Me a Princess" on New Day Northwest earlier today!!

:shock: Wow, great find! Thanks!! :)
ChrisLyne
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ChrisLyne »

Glad you like it!

5th Avenue have very kindly provided me with a very special voice mail message from a certain Grand Vizier! Check it out at the blog!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

ChrisLyne wrote:5th Avenue have very kindly provided me with a very special voice mail message from a certain Grand Vizier! Check it out at the blog!
Just did! What a funny and clever way to announce the change. :wink:

Btw, do you happen to know if they are planning to release an Original Cast Recording CD and when?
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Chris, your blog is great! Wouldn't it be awesome if they sent you free tickets?!?!

In terms of "Call me a Princess," I knew the song would be in this production. It's too good of a song and it would have been a shame if it wasn't included. I saw it functioning as Jasmine's introduction song and I figured she sings it when she tries to scare off potential suitors OR she really is spoiled when the story begins, but as the play progresses, she changes into a whole new person by the time "A Whole New World" is performed. Or, at least, that's how I would have written it. Hahaha.