Disney's America

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

Disney's America

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

XXX!
Last edited by Jackoleen on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

I had never heard of this, was it meant to be a small park, or a full-blown resort?
To be honest, the two coasts already have parks, it would be great if the middle of the U.S. got a park.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I have never heard of this. It would be interesting. There are a lot of parks in the VA/NC/SC area.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I remember reading an article about this at the time about Disney's America, I'm pretty sure in Newsweek back in 1995 or so when the project was being cancelled. I don't recall the park being focused on Pocahontas, but American history in general, including the revolutionary and civil wars. Historians and certain groups balked at the idea, believing that a Disneyfied look at our country's history would have been skewed for entertainment and dumbed down for children instead of being given an accurate portrayal. It also would have been built close to civil war battlefields, an area some feel need to be kept solemn and free of what could be considered damaging properties.

Disney backed out of the project due to all the criticism; apparently some of their initial ideas were reworked into California Adventure after they failed to purchase Knott's Berry Farm for refurbishing.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

enigmawing wrote:I remember reading an article about this at the time about Disney's America, I'm pretty sure in Newsweek back in 1995 or so when the project was being cancelled. I don't recall the park being focused on Pocahontas, but American history in general, including the revolutionary and civil wars. Historians and certain groups balked at the idea, believing that a Disneyfied look at our country's history would have been skewed for entertainment and dumbed down for children instead of being given an accurate portrayal. It also would have been built close to civil war battlefields, an area some feel need to be kept solemn and free of what could be considered damaging properties.

Disney backed out of the project due to all the criticism; apparently some of their initial ideas were reworked into California Adventure after they failed to purchase Knott's Berry Farm for refurbishing.

I for one am happy Knott's stayed out of Disney's hands. People can actually afford to go to Knotts. :P
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Miceage recently posted a multi-part article describing the park in terms of its offerings and the politics surrounding its demise. Very interesting read:

http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/samlan ... t-one.html

Based on its description, I'd love to see it realized in person, but the odds of that ever happening are slim to say the least.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

Epcot, DCA, and Animal Kingdom were all Disney parks that were built with an educational aspect in mind but it didn't pander out so well...especially for DCA. Epcot had to Disney-fy itself in order to get more people in. Animal Kingdom survived because of Expedition Everest. DCA speaks for itself through its billion dollar makeover.

They way I see it had, they gone though with Disney's America as an educational theme park it would've likely failed because today's guests don't like associating Disney with education. They associate Disney with entertainment and familiar characters.

I still hope they plan to go with the DVC resort they were planning for National Harbor though. I'm hoping for something colonial themed. That would make for a gorgeous hotel.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

toonaspie wrote:They way I see it had, they gone though with Disney's America as an educational theme park it would've likely failed because today's guests don't like associating Disney with education. They associate Disney with entertainment and familiar characters.
I agree, I think it would've started out being as it appears to have been planned but due to low appeal Disney would have been forced to resort to integrating classic characters and more mainstream attractions. More or less, it would have become less education oriented and more an american themed disneyland. In fact, the only real way I could see this working out the way it was initially designed would have been to remove the Disney brand name all together. Then people's expectation wouldn't be to see Mickey Mouse dressed up as George Washington greeting you at the front gate.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

toonaspie wrote:Epcot, DCA, and Animal Kingdom were all Disney parks that were built with an educational aspect in mind but it didn't pander out so well...especially for DCA. Epcot had to Disney-fy itself in order to get more people in. Animal Kingdom survived because of Expedition Everest. DCA speaks for itself through its billion dollar makeover.

They way I see it had, they gone though with Disney's America as an educational theme park it would've likely failed because today's guests don't like associating Disney with education. They associate Disney with entertainment and familiar characters.

I still hope they plan to go with the DVC resort they were planning for National Harbor though. I'm hoping for something colonial themed. That would make for a gorgeous hotel.
I agree. People want Mickey Mouse when it comes to Disney Theme Parks. When they try to give something else then that, people go, "But I can get that at other theme parks, why do I need to come here?" So then Disney gives Mickey Mouse and the people are happy again. That defiantly was what happened at California Adventure.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney