Alan Menken News & Discussion

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Alan Menken News & Discussion

Post by Sotiris »

The 'official' thread for all things Alan Menken. :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

:float:
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

On 13th May, the Paper Mill Playhouse will be hosting a fundraising event, and Alan Menken will be honoured at the playhouse gala with the Frank Carrington Excellence in the Arts award.
http://nj.broadwayworld.com/article/Ala ... 3-20110427
Also, Menken has added a few disco numbers to a new broadway version of 'Sister Act.'
http://www.nyunews.com/arts/2011/05/05/05sister/
:D
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

I love the man! :D

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8axNKiFETrk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VCy08FsFwJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HLVermNTLEE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7Km1uNBBDsI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JpWq2daCRog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XYfySVrQxto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L5Yanq--MJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Greatest Disney-composer that ever was!:) Have all his CDs and I do hope he will continue to work with Disney. I want more movies with Menken-music, and I want him to adapt Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules etc for the stage (Broadway).
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

Love all those songs you posted Sky Syndrome!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Nxy9RfpPR2o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Look what Alan tweeted... or twittered.... whatever..
Off to LA for BMI awards and LIDSVILLE meeting. Excited to be doing my first non-Disney animated musical. Hello DreamWorks!
He's sleeping with the enemy!!! :lol:
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Wow, that's interesting. Anybody else like these computer-animated musicals that are popping up lately? I guess with the recent success of Tangled and Rio, we will see more studios jumping on the band-wagon.

Although hopefully it's not a case of deja-vu, where we return to the 90s, where it seemed the requirement was every animated feature had to be a musical. And frankly, I can only count four non-Disney animated musicals of that decade that had memorable tunes (Cats Don't Dance, The Prince of Egypt, Anastasia and South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut).
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Alan Menken wrote:Off to LA for BMI awards and LIDSVILLE meeting. Excited to be doing my first non-Disney animated musical. Hello DreamWorks!
:headshake:

Lidsville sucks. Out of the 30+ projects that DreamWorks Animation has in development, did he have to go for this one? Granted, they may only have offered him this one but still he could have refused. It's a shame that his first non-Disney animated film has to be one of such a ridiculous concept and based on such an outdated and boring property as Lidsville.

You know I blame Disney for this; they did not offer him anything to do theatrically and he has expressed his disappointment in an interview. First, The Snow Queen was cancelled, then the live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, then Enchanted 2 and they didn't offer him any other projects to replace these.

Even if WDAS did not have any projects to offer, why couldn't they offer him to write the score or a song for a Pixar film? It doesn't have to be a musical. A Pixar film would be more fitting for his first non-Disney animated film.
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

What, he's working for Dreamworks too now?! Not that I have anything against Dreamworks, but Disney is doing something terribly wrong here, it seems all their employees are going to Dreamworks.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Alan Menken wrote:Off to LA for BMI awards and LIDSVILLE meeting. Excited to be doing my first non-Disney animated musical. Hello DreamWorks!
I always loved the strange quirkiness of "Lidsville". A kid who falls into a hat and into a world of living hats! It's a concept that really shouldn't work at all, but in a strange and unusual way, it does. Probably because it was 1970s children's television. Granted, it's no "H.R. Pufnstuf" (now that would be an interesting property to revisit!), but there's still a kitschy charm to it.

I have no idea what DreamWorks will be doing for their movie version, although I'm sure with Menken on board it will at least have good music.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

PatrickvD wrote:Look what Alan tweeted... or twittered.... whatever..
Off to LA for BMI awards and LIDSVILLE meeting. Excited to be doing my first non-Disney animated musical. Hello DreamWorks!
He's sleeping with the enemy!!! :lol:
Haha I don't care that Alan's working for Dreamworks, but I'm just saying...MAN what's with Dreamworks, stealing or borrowing Disney people?!?! They're defientely trying to run Disney out of bussiness. But, Alan will be amazing. :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:MAN what's with Dreamworks, stealing or borrowing Disney people?!?! They're definitely trying to run Disney out of bussiness. But, Alan will be amazing. :)
DreamWorks is neither "stealing" nor "borrowing" people from Disney. It is Disney who is letting their people go. Most of the artists who recently moved to DreamWorks were laid off from Disney. It is only natural these people are going to look for a job elsewhere. At least DreamWorks recognizes talent and appreciates their artists.
Last edited by Sotiris on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Yeah, for all the crap they get, they treat their employees better than Disney and even Pixar. They give more incentives to stay.
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

So sadly the musical based TV series staring Idina Menzel, that Menken was doing original music for didn't get picked up I guess.... :(
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Menken was clearly unhappy about how Tangled was advertised with a Pink song in the trailers.

He was asked about this in an interview and it made him visibly uncomfortable. I recall he compared it to how his name being advertised in Home on the Range didn't work for that film and how he understood they wanted to hide the fact that it was a musical.

But yeah. That's not how you treat someone who played such a huge key in putting Disney and animation back on the map.

I don't blame Menken for going to Dreamworks. And I'm eager to hear something new from him. He's not bound by the was of Disney so he might come up with something different this time around.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

LOL
AIMenken Alan Menken
Gotta be careful what I tweet. It's not a done deal with DreamWorks. Just discussions right now. And FYI ... Disney knows and blesses.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Ha!

I saw that. I hope for Menken he gets to do this film. I think he needs a creative challenge and Dreamworks simply offers something completely different.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I wonder if this winds up being a good match if he will be atached to that other upcoming flick
''Monkeys of Bollywood'', I believe I read somewehere it will be a musical too

Still wish he'd consider scoring Snow Queen if that movie ever gets made :(
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

REINIER wrote:I wonder if this winds up being a good match if he will be atached to that other upcoming flick
''Monkeys of Bollywood'', I believe I read somewehere it will be a musical too

Still wish he'd consider scoring Snow Queen if that movie ever gets made :(
I'm pretty sure he'll do Snow Queen, it's Disney that needs to get its act together and just make it. It's been on again, off again for years. Menken is always willing to do movies for Disney.