Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 1 - April 15

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

ajmrowland wrote:Take away the attack on the burrow and replace with a good Harry/Ginny kiss, Voldemort backstory, and Harry/Snape loathing. Even if it makes it a worse film, it'd be a better setup to Deathly Hallows
I agree with you, but instead of the things mentioned, I would rather more memories, and more information about Horcruxes. But the burning of the burrow scene was horrible. The only thing it added was some action, but Deathly Hallows suffered because of it. Anything would have been better than that.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I did essentially say more memories, but the only one really needed was Hepzibah Smith. The rest could easily have been simple dialog to set up these memories.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

ajmrowland wrote:I think HBP is the weakest. Here's what I would've altered for the films, screenplay-wise.

HBP: Take away the attack on the burrow and replace with a good Harry/Ginny kiss, Voldemort backstory, and Harry/Snape loathing. Even if it makes it a worse film, it'd be a better setup to Deathly Hallows.
Personally, I loved the "mood" they gave HBP. HBP is easily my least favorite of the books, but somehow they made me really enjoy the film. Broadbent was especially good as Slughorn, and made me like that character more than I did before.

The only thing I regret about the sixth film is, like you said, the lack of Voldemort backstory. It would've helped if they had had at least one more memory, but I think they're saving all the Horcrux info. for the last film, so audiences will know what's going on right in the moment. I also feel the lack of the Dursleys in both HBP and DH is a huge shame. That said, I thought the cut of the final battle at Hogwarts in HBP was a good thing. Since we'll get another battle at the school in the final film(s), it would be a bit repetitious. The only real addition I didn't like was the very beginning with Harry flirting with some random girl. :? Bizarre.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^All valid points, but they took out Harry/Snape, Harry/Ginny, and other character development plus a very crucial memory that tells us what one of the other Horcruxes is and replaces it with a battle and a burning house not only not on fire in the final film, but justified as a replacement threat to reading newspaper clippings. Also, I dont like that the Dursleys and the Minister were cut. That said, it's become a common opinion that the Petunia scene should've been part of the opening montage in DH.

But the flirting with the Muggle girl was justifiable as love is still in the air even though all the pink went with Umbridge.

Love and Umbridge in the same sentence?*shudders*

Anyway, I would've thrown making a good movie out the door and focused on making it a good setup to the final chapters.
pick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pick »

Guys, what's your opinion on the Complete Collection boxset to be released later this year? How do you think it's gonna be the packaging and stuff... Don't know if I should get the 7 movies individually in blueay right now or get the boxset at the end of the year... It all depends on the packaging....
-------------------------------------------------------
"Just Make a Wish, and do as dreamers do...
and all your Wishes will come True..."
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I'd wait to see right now. One of Warner's previous box sets(the years 1-5 collection packaged in a hogwarts trunk) had exclusives, some of which ended up in the Ultimate Editions.

You just might be better off waiting until next year when the final UEs are released, as a box set of those would probably be of equal or greater value.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

That's what I'm doin, waitin for an actual ULTIMATE collection containing all 7 films (hope they place Deathly Hallows Part 1/2 in the same packaging). wish they re-release all 4 soon, lately I noticed at Target they had a repacking of Years 1-4 but with just Dvd/blu/digital copy.
pick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pick »

I really cannot wait anymore! Hahaha! I'm debating if I should get the UE right now, or wait and the The Complete Collection at the end of the year... I don't like "truck" packages like 1-5, so I'm hoping they come like the 1-7.1 box, all discs in one fat bluray case...
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^You can bet your ass the UE Collection will be available next year; not this year
pick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pick »

ajmrowland wrote:^You can bet your ass the UE Collection will be available next year; not this year
Oh, for sure! I meant the "normal" complete collection! :wink: