Weird aspects of Disney: Are the Mice in Cinderella Racist?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Jackoleen
In The Vaults

Weird aspects of Disney: Are the Mice in Cinderella Racist?

Post by Jackoleen »

* I can never seem to watch "Cinderella" without thinking that the female mice remind me of Hispanic maids; I even knew a Spanish teacher's assistant who once reminded me of them. Go ahead and kill me, and I'm not saying that the statement that I'm making is NOT racist, but I can't ever watch that movie without half expecting one of the female mice to start singing "I Feel Pretty", or something, because they ALL just have to be brown, wear hankerchief-type hats, etc. Was Walt actually being racist, or was he being unintentionally racist? Did he just not really think about what he was doing? Why are ALL of the mice brown, and why do they all seem so stereotypical?
Last edited by Jackoleen on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Ohhh... you're fun.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Re: Weird aspects of The Disney Company!

Post by Wonderlicious »

Jackoleen wrote:* I can never seem to watch "Cinderella" without thinking that the female mice remind me of Hispanic maids; I even knew a Spanish teacher's assistant who once reminded me of them. Go ahead and kill me, and I'm not saying that the statement that I'm making is NOT racist, but I can't ever watch that movie without half expecting one of the female mice to start singing "I Feel Pretty", or something, because they ALL just have to be brown, wear hankerchief-type hats, etc. Was Walt actually being racist, or was he being unintentionally racist? Did he just not really think about what he was doing? Why are ALL of the mice brown, and why do they all seem so stereotypical?
Erm, the mice are wearing traditional European folk clothes, and the female mice are wearing Dutch caps. Not really much Hispanic about that! And a lot of mice happen to be brown. Nobody was racist, nor were they intending to be!
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Wonderlicious wrote:Erm, the mice are wearing traditional European folk clothes, and the female mice are wearing Dutch caps. Not really much Hispanic about that! And a lot of mice happen to be brown. Nobody was racist, nor were they intending to be!
Except now I won't be able to help but think of this every time I watch the movie. :roll:
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Weird Aspects of WDC?

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Its fanbase.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

^ :lol:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Jackoleen wrote:
* I can never seem to watch "Cinderella" without thinking that the female mice remind me of Hispanic maids; I even knew a Spanish teacher's assistant who once reminded me of them. Go ahead and kill me, and I'm not saying that the statement that I'm making is NOT racist, but I can't ever watch that movie without half expecting one of the female mice to start singing "I Feel Pretty", or something, because they ALL just have to be brown, wear hankerchief-type hats, etc. Was Walt actually being racist, or was he being unintentionally racist? Did he just not really think about what he was doing? Why are ALL of the mice brown, and why do they all seem so stereotypical?
WTF?

Are the mice jumping borders?
Are the mice immigrants?
Are mice having a drug war?
Are the mice wearing sombreros?
Do the mice eat tacos?
Do the mice have tons of children?

If none of these fit in with the Cinderella mice, then they are not Hispanic.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

Jackoleen wrote:Dear Disney Enthusiasts,
I can't ever watch that movie without half expecting one of the female mice to start singing "I Feel Pretty",
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kmv3WlKa6U8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

^I hated that movie.

Jackoleen has been watching too much Speedy Gonzales. :roll:
"OH COME ON, REALLY?!?!"
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Re: Weird Aspects of WDC?

Post by milojthatch »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:Its fanbase.

LOL! :lol:
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Smoking censorship. Most of the DACs have characters smoking and they're pushed onto the public. But it isn't right to make a DAC today with a villain smoking a cigar or a hero smoking a pipe. I wonder when we'll get a Smokefree Edition series for the small amount of DACs without smoking characters.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Super Aurora wrote:
Jackoleen wrote:
WTF?

Are the mice immigrants?
Do the mice eat tacos?

No not with Cinderella, but on an Animated Titanic yes :P

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sq2aRcw-hbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Sky Syndrome wrote:Smoking censorship. Most of the DACs have characters smoking and they're pushed onto the public. But it isn't right to make a DAC today with a villain smoking a cigar or a hero smoking a pipe.
But people smoke. That's just a fact, and children will be exposed to that anyways. They're going to know about it even if the characters don't smoke. Hell, their parents might smoke. Having a character in a movie (especially a villain) is not going to influence their decision to smoke. Small children watching the films usually associate villains with 'evil' and 'badness'. They're not going to model themselves after someone they hated.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Super Aurora wrote:
Jackoleen wrote:
WTF?

Are the mice immigrants?
Do the mice eat tacos?

Mice do have lots of kids, and they fight over cheese.

I disagree with the idea of dreams coming true being unrealistic. I think dreaming and working hard is good.
sunhuntin
Special Edition

Post by sunhuntin »

Scarred4life wrote:But people smoke. That's just a fact, and children will be exposed to that anyways. They're going to know about it even if the characters don't smoke. Hell, their parents might smoke. Having a character in a movie (especially a villain) is not going to influence their decision to smoke. Small children watching the films usually associate villains with 'evil' and 'badness'. They're not going to model themselves after someone they hated.
agreed. big daddy in PATF would have looked more authentic with a pipe.

i remember as a kid we had "spaceman" lollies, which were white sticks with a red tip. they were like candy cigarettes.
i, and all my friends, adored them and i would walk around pretending to inhale, lol. im now 26 and spaceman lollies were banned for many years. they recently came back without the red tips. those lollies only served to enchance my imaginary play.
the constant lectures from my parents were enough to curb any possible desires. ive never smoked a cigarette or taken any drug in my life and barely drink, though ive dated people who did all of them.
big kid at heart
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Scarred4life wrote:
Sky Syndrome wrote:Smoking censorship. Most of the DACs have characters smoking and they're pushed onto the public. But it isn't right to make a DAC today with a villain smoking a cigar or a hero smoking a pipe.
But people smoke. That's just a fact, and children will be exposed to that anyways. They're going to know about it even if the characters don't smoke. Hell, their parents might smoke. Having a character in a movie (especially a villain) is not going to influence their decision to smoke. Small children watching the films usually associate villains with 'evil' and 'badness'. They're not going to model themselves after someone they hated.
I think what has been should stay (but am ok with the PA's before the film talking about how bad smoking is), but as for new characters smoking, I say only if they are the villain. Smoking is evil, so it's only natural that a villain would smoke.

ajmrowland wrote:
I disagree with the idea of dreams coming true being unrealistic. I think dreaming and working hard is good.
Agreed. Isn't that the message "Princess and the Frog" was trying to deliver?
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

disneyboy20022 wrote:No not with Cinderella, but on an Animated Titanic yes :P
Interestingly, I was going to post that. From the Nostalgia Critic review, it does look like an odd mix of Titanic and Cinderella (the heroine and her mean stepfamily exactly resemble Cinderella and her mean stepfamily).
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

milojthatch wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:
Agreed. Isn't that the message "Princess and the Frog" was trying to deliver?
I was actually thinking about that, but not until I typed my last post. :lol: