UltimateDisney.com/DVDizzy.com Reviews: Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks for reading and remarking, Albert!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

I've been enjoying the reviews a lot. They are consistently high quality, giving plenty of details about production, marketing, and all aspects of the home release in addition to the opinion of the film/show itself.

My one request is that the Blu-ray of The Incredibles gets its review sometime before it goes back into the Vault. It's one of the few movies that I would consider repurchasing, and UD's review will help me make an informed decision.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Given that it only came out last April, I'm sure UD will cover The Incredibles well before it gets vaulted, Brandon. ;)

I generally comment on reviews on the Facebook page, but they don't allow me to do pink elephants there. So here's a bunch to make up for that:

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

I'm sure that we'll see it before summer is out. I was just using a bit of exaggeration. I've seen The Incredibles get pushed back on the review list many times in favor of other discs, and I wanted to express my anticipation. I just tell myself that the wait time means that the review won't be put on the site in a half-baked form.

My DVDs
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

BrandonH wrote:I'm sure that we'll see it before summer is out. I was just using a bit of exaggeration.
Lol, I figured. But I just wanted to make sure.
BrandonH wrote:I've seen The Incredibles get pushed back on the review list many times in favor of other discs, and I wanted to express my anticipation.
Haha, me too. I'm waiting to read Luke's thoughts on the Back to the Future set, myself. I know how big a fan he is of the films, and it'd be great to finally see it all in print once he has the chance to do it.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Noted. Thanks. I'm glad to see at least two people consulting the index! The prospect of revisiting <i>The Incredibles</i> is daunting in almost every way, because I hold the movie in such high regard and because I know that we're expected to cover it top to bottom (no easy task when having to compare two such comprehensive editions). It seems to be the one major release too many of the spring that <i>BTTF</i> was in the fall. But I am planning on hitting both as soon as I can without having others fall into the same "so late" category as these two. Hopefully in the coming few weeks. Thanks so much for reading and commenting!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

<i>The Incredibles</i> Blu-ray & DVD review is up!
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

That is an excellent review, Luke. Some of our Pixar film views differ, but we both agree that The Incredibles is one of the all-time best movies out there. I'm happy that the Easter Eggs are now easily accessible. That by itself is a decent incentive to upgrade. Thanks for including so much detail on what this set includes and how it compares to prior releases.

A pink elephant for you: :pink:

My DVDs
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks, Brandon! That was sure an exhausting one.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I recently saw Jean Cocteau's (magnificent) Beauty and the Beast, and was glad to see UD's review about the Blu-Ray. It was very informative as usual, which is helpful because I know little about the previous releases or Criterions in general and I wanted to pick this title up.

Did notice a small spelling error, though. The first sentence reads,
Beauty and the Beast review wrote:As on many fairy tales, the exact origins of the story of Beauty and the Beast are unknown.
But shouldn't it say, "As of many fairy tales, the exact origins of the story of Beauty and the Beast are unknown," ?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hey, I need to ask this and have it answered before Sitepocalypse!

I'm trying to be a little funny (I try to stay hopeful) but also a little serious. But anyway. I thought I once saw a front page blib about a movie review done here that said the movie "didn't have much/any conflict" or something. But apparently the movie was good, so I was intrigued, but I never checked it out and I don't know how to find it (I don't remember anything about the title). Do you or anyone remember? Did I actually see that on some other site? Did I imagine it?

Please, any help answering would be greatly appreciated!
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Luke wrote:I've always considered "Roseanne" middle-of-the-road as far as sitcoms of the '80s and '90s go and time hasn't changed that view.
Wait 'til you get to seasons 4 and 5.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Lazario wrote:
Luke wrote:I've always considered "Roseanne" middle-of-the-road as far as sitcoms of the '80s and '90s go and time hasn't changed that view.
Wait 'til you get to seasons 4 and 5.
Better or worse?
Disney Duster wrote:Hey, I need to ask this and have it answered before Sitepocalypse!

I'm trying to be a little funny (I try to stay hopeful) but also a little serious. But anyway. I thought I once saw a front page blib about a movie review done here that said the movie "didn't have much/any conflict" or something. But apparently the movie was good, so I was intrigued, but I never checked it out and I don't know how to find it (I don't remember anything about the title). Do you or anyone remember? Did I actually see that on some other site? Did I imagine it?

Please, any help answering would be greatly appreciated!
I'm afraid that doesn't ring any bells for me.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Luke, I loved your review of 3 Women. It's one of my favorite films, and it seems like no one has ever seen it! I hope you do more reviews like this one in the future.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Random question, but are there any plans to review season 6 of How I Met Your Mother and the upcoming Tom & Jerry set?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Avaitor wrote:Random question, but are there any plans to review season 6 of How I Met Your Mother and the upcoming Tom & Jerry set?
No. Sorry.
PeterPanfan wrote:Luke, I loved your review of 3 Women. It's one of my favorite films, and it seems like no one has ever seen it! I hope you do more reviews like this one in the future.
Glad you liked it! I had been trying to do one Criterion title a month and starting in September, I upped that to two, which is what I'll be doing in October and November. Clearly, not all reviews are getting published in the most timely fashion, but in the case of <i>3 Women</i> and <i>My Life as a Dog</i>, I didn't get them in until the day before street date, which is especially challenging this time of year.

Thanks for reading and commenting!
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

I loved The Lion King review!

Best part of it right here:
My latest viewing of The Lion King further reinforces my view that this is the greatest of all animated films. It doesn't have the historical value of Walt's early productions and it hasn't had to endure nearly as much time. But in artistic, dramatic, and entertainment value, I don't think any Disney or Pixar film soars as highly and almost no live-action film compares either.
That couldn't have been said any better! :thumb:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

hey Luke. I read The Lion King Blu-ray review. As usual I only read the reveiw of he film, some major bonus features like the making-of and retrospectives, and the closing thoughts. Everything I say below is meant to be with respect, but also treating you as an equal, and with my honest feelings.

You sure did heap a lotta lotta praise on the film. At first I thought you could have described why the film was so good more than just saying it was all powerful and every thing works and such, but looking at your other reviews, maybe you did describe things much like you do in other reviews, and did a good job. I guess I feel it was like "Timon and Pumbaa are laidback...and are among the most sharply realized in history". Yea..how? Because they have a good amount of screen time, with a song that reveals what they believe? Maybe something like that coulda been said? And you mentioend it touches on some of the deepest emotions known to mankind, but didn't say what they were! I dunno. But one thing I can say is I am happy that you are so enthusiastic about the film and have not changed your high opinion of it, though I do hope it is completely fairly honest, that you aren't purposely trying to like it so much, when you wouldn't for other films. I am going to believe it is completely honest, unless you say otherwise. :)

There has been something I have wanted to say for a long time though, and that is about your review of Cinderella. When I re-read I actually found I agreed with a lot, when I thought I completely disagreed before, but I still don't agree with enough to warrant your conclusion on it.

But what I mean to bring up is how you said it was "the slightest" of all Walt's features, didn't you say that? And I wanted to ask if you really meant exactly that, because I think it's obvious to almost anyone that The Sword in the Stone, maybe The Jungle Book, possibly Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan, and definately aaaall of the package features are inferior to Cinderella, and much slighter films of Walt's. I was hoping the site would be open long enough to do re-review, or have someone else do one, but I guess that seems unlikely, huh?
The_Iceflash
Anniversary Edition

Post by The_Iceflash »

Disney Duster wrote:I was hoping the site would be open long enough to do re-review, or have someone else do one, but I guess that seems unlikely, huh?
With a Diamond Edition release happening next year it wouldn't make much sense to re-review it now.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I meant re-review the film itself when it comes to Diamond Edition. :)

I forgot to say my thoughts on The Lion King. Well of course it's a great movie and one of Disney's best...but when I did re-watch it, I was like...oh...man...I kept noticing things in negative lights. But I think some of it, not all, but some, is just me and my viewership. But I don't know...I was kind of thinking about how Simba had to face the "consequences" of something he really didn't do, he really didn't kill his dad, and I was wondering what reason he should be king other than he's the guy's son... :( But I guess we could say it's facing something even if you only thought you did it, and...maybe "remember who you are" also means he should remember he was a good guy and would be a good king, I mean he was raised well, too. That's pretty good. :)