Sequels, Prequels, & Midquels!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

Sky Syndrome wrote:
SillySymphony wrote:Tarzan & Jane and the Lilo & Stitch movies, whether good or bad, to me don't count because they're just continuations of their TV Series.
Lilo & Stitch 2 is parallel to Stitch! The Movie and Leroy & Stitch. The latter two movies are the prologue and epilogue of the Lilo & Stitch TV show, which are all about finding suitable homes for Jumba's experiments. Lilo & Stitch 2 doesn't deal with any of that. It's about Lilo wanting to win a hula competition because her mother won one as a little girl, the aliens still adjusting to life on Earth, and something happening inside Stitch that is killing him. I've watched Stitch! The Movie, Leroy & Stitch, and every episode of the Lilo & Stitch TV show and all the sad scenes in them pale in comparison to the sad scenes in Lilo & Stitch 2.
I stand corrected then. Similar to the Pooh movies I inadvertantly lumped the Lilo & Stitch franchise into creature. (Shows how long I've watched any sequels.) Thanks!
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

Sky Syndrome wrote:
SillySymphony wrote:Tarzan & Jane and the Lilo & Stitch movies, whether good or bad, to me don't count because they're just continuations of their TV Series.
Lilo & Stitch 2 is parallel to Stitch! The Movie and Leroy & Stitch. The latter two movies are the prologue and epilogue of the Lilo & Stitch TV show, which are all about finding suitable homes for Jumba's experiments. Lilo & Stitch 2 doesn't deal with any of that. It's about Lilo wanting to win a hula competition because her mother won one as a little girl, the aliens still adjusting to life on Earth, and something happening inside Stitch that is killing him. I've watched Stitch! The Movie, Leroy & Stitch, and every episode of the Lilo & Stitch TV show and all the sad scenes in them pale in comparison to the sad scenes in Lilo & Stitch 2.
Honestly? I found Lilo & Stitch 2 so sad and depressing that I only watched it once back when it was first released.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

So far, I only liked 'The Lion King 1½' (I want it on Blu-Ray), 'Bambi and the Great Prince of the Forest', 'Tinker Bell', 'Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure' and 'Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue'! They had good animation and good stories...
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

4th Life of Thomasina wrote:...but I hate Little Mermaid II with a burning passion. ...
Agreed. That movie attempts to ruin Ariel by making her into an authoritarian like Triton was, and it deflates Ursula's original menace by giving her a stupid, screw-up sister. Ursula was only in one shot of this film--as the picture on Morgana's wall--and they couldn't even manage to design that right. :roll: That said, I did think the ice castle at the end was somewhat creative, but, in sequel fashion, they never quite pull it off.

The only sequels I like are: the Aladdin sequels (I liked the series, too, and these were almost extensions of that), the Lion King sequels, B&tB: The Enchanted Christmas, and Mulan II. Bambi and the Great Prince, Ariel's Beginning, and Cinderella: Twist in Time were all so-so, but better than the others.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

merlinjones wrote:IMHO, these overmarketed dreck-to-video WDTVA products paved the fall of Walt Disney Feature Animation.
Agreed. And what sucks most about it is that WDAS lost its reputation not for its own work, but mostly for the less-than-stellar work of the DTV unit.

Since, of course, most people do not differentiate between The Walt Disney Company and Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

I love how colorful the disney movie covers are! :)
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

I've seen almost all of the direct-to-video sequels, though to be honest in my opinion most of them don't have that many redeeming qualities. There a few that I do like though. I have no problems with the "Lilo & Stitch" or "Winnie the Pooh" features, since most have pretty consistent animation, and I like the two tv series (New Adventures of Pooh and Lilo & Stitch: The Series). I do feel that a lot of these sequels could have benefited from a bit more consistent animation, but it's obvious that budget and time constraints didn't allow that. Especially "The Wrath of Jafar" has some abysmal animation, which is too bad, because it could have been a lot more entertaining if you weren't forced to cringe each time some character's face was jacked up. "King of Thieves" is better in that aspect.

Anyway...

Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robinson
The Tigger Movie
The Lion King 1/2 (Doesn't add much to the story overall, but at least it was somewhat entertaining.)
Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch has a Glitch (I agree with Enigmawing, I thought it was slightly depressing.)
Aladdin: The Wrath of Jafar (Despite very noticeable subpar animation.)
Aladdin and the King of Thieves

Dislike
The Hunchback of Notre Dame 2 (The animation is... weird in this one.)
Mulan 2 (Female empowerment in my movies? We must fix that! Begone demons.)
Fox and the Hound 2 ('Midquels' are the epitome of unnecessary.)
101 Dalmatians II (Films created with the Xerox process should especially have never gotten sequels as they will never be able to re-create the style of the original.)
Jungle Book 2 (The voices was what made the original for me, so I knew that this was going to be a disappointment before I even put it on.)
Lady and the Tramp II
Pocahontas 2
Cinderella II: Dreams Do Make Your Hair a Different Colour (Happily ever after... j/k)
Belle's Magical Off-Modelness
Tarzan 2
The Little Mermaid 2: Return to the Sea and Watch Me Grow a Different Personality
Bambi 2 (The animation isn't all that bad, but the original isn't one of my favourites to begin with, so this one leaves me cold.)

Eh...
Return to Neverland
Beauty & The Beast: The Enchanted Christmas (I like the antagonist.)
Piglet's Big Movie
the "Heffalump" movies

I think it's great that some people get enjoyment out of these sequels, they do give you more 'time' -so to speak- with the characters, rather than limit you to one film, only to never see them again. With that said, I think most of them are pretty unnecessary. The ones I dislike don't ruin my enjoyment of the originals however, so it's all good.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

My problem isn't so much that there are sequels, but the fact that most of them are so completely horrendous. Yeah, most any Disney sequel would be unnecessary, but the least it could be is somewhat fun and not cringe-inducing. That said, there are a few that are decent and moderately entertaining, but there are so many really bad ones.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

really, do we need another thread like this? It'll just be the same people bashing sequels. I actually enjoy some of the sequels. I own most of them and for years they were the only thing keeping 2D animation alive with Disney. Though, out sourced... :|
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

Duckburger wrote:Like
...Aladdin: The Wrath of Jafar (Despite very noticeable subpar animation.)...
Is it really called The Wrath of Jafar in the Netherlands? I like that title better than The Return of Jafar!
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

Yep, it's called "De Wraak van Jafar" which literally translates to "The Wrath of Jafar". For some reason I completely forgot the official title was "The Return of Jafar".
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Christopher_TCUIH wrote:I was sad he wasn't in part 2 haha
But he died in the first one... And it would have lessened his character if he was in the sequel.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

TheValentineBros wrote:[...] and Universal is also guilty for too many goddamn Land Before Time sequels. [...]
I remember seeing an ad somewhere for Land Before Time- Part 12!!! I was like: "Oooooo-kaaaaaaay.... what the fuck?!"

By the way, read this thread about Disney sequels if you dare:
http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... s+marathon

Don't do it if you are easily offended. :D
DisneyJedi wrote:I like the sequels, unlike everyone here who treats them like the plague.
I can only think of one thing Disney has ever created that's worse than the sequels...
merlinjones wrote:IMHO, these overmarketed dreck-to-video WDTVA products paved the fall of Walt Disney Feature Animation - - tossing away decades of audience goodwill and trust in the quality of Disney artistic integrity, the art of animation and the unique qualities of the classic characters and storytelling. Except for the very short-term bottom line, this frown-factory initiative was a total disaster for Walt's creative legacy, irreparably changing how the former "premium brand" was perceived and experienced (see also Disney Channel).
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

DisneyJedi wrote:I like the sequels, unlike everyone here who treats them like the plague.
I like them too but all I see are people becoming more and more like Sith all over the net.
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

Ohhh, another sequel bashing sequence to satisfy the abundant "Leonard Maltins" of the forum!
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

bradhig wrote:
I like them too but all I see are people becoming more and more like Sith all over the net.
WAT?

What does Darth Vader has to do with Disney Sequels?
reyquila wrote:Ohhh, another sequel bashing sequence to satisfy the abundant "Leonard Maltins" of the forum!
I hate Maltin. He's such a faggot.

You can collect sequels, reyquila cause you're cool.

You are bravely determined to become the #1 Disney Master.

You wanna be the very best. Like no one ever has. To buy them is your real test. To watch them is your cause. You will travel across the land, searching far and wide. Each DVD to understand. The power that's inside!

Disneymon, it's you and me. You know it's your destiny. Oh, we're your best friend in a world you must defend. Disneymon.....A HEART SO TRUUUUUEEEEE. Your courage will pull us through. You teach me and I'll teach you(sex I mean)....DIZ....NEY.....MMMMMOOOOOOONNNN!!!

gotta buy em all.

Go get your dream Reyquila Ketchum.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
rs_milo_whatever
Anniversary Edition

Post by rs_milo_whatever »

Super Aurora wrote: You are bravely determined to become the #1 Disney Master.

You wanna be the very best. Like no one ever has. To buy them is your real test. To watch them is your cause. You will travel across the land, searching far and wide. Each DVD to understand. The power that's inside!

Disneymon, it's you and me. You know it's your destiny. Oh, we're your best friend in a world you must defend. Disneymon.....A HEART SO TRUUUUUEEEEE. Your courage will pull us through. You teach me and I'll teach you(sex I mean)....DIZ....NEY.....MMMMMOOOOOOONNNN!!!

gotta buy em all.

OH. MY. BEST POST EVER.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

rs_milo_whatever wrote:
Super Aurora wrote: You are bravely determined to become the #1 Disney Master.

gotta buy em all.

OH. MY. BEST POST EVER.

people are being consumed with hate like vadar.
Christopher_TCUIH
Special Edition

Post by Christopher_TCUIH »

<b>Imagine if they really made Dumbo II! hahaha

That one actually sounds kind of ghetto but I would most likely watch it.

Whenever I think I'm not going to like a movie I end up liking it if not loving it! :lol:
</b>
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

rs_milo_whatever wrote:OH. MY. BEST POST EVER.
It sure was. :lol: