Disney Week Mar. 28 - Apr. 3

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Animal Sidekicks:
1. Fidget
2. Archimedes
3. Timothy
4. Jiminy
5. Iago

Human Sidekicks:
1. Genie
2. Lumiere
3. Tinkerbell
4. Merriweather
5. Grumpy
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Super Aurora wrote:Thanks for positive comments to my posts. I usually do this cause it's kinda fun and different rather than usual boring list. As to how I come up with this stuff. Usually I make allusion and connections to something else I like.

Since I have long range of interests spanning from video games, to anime/manga to regular entertainment to historical history, I usually able put connection together and form jokes out of it. Like the one I did with Frollo's image. In HoND commentary, they point out Frollo's obsession with fire, so first thing came to my mind is a pyromaniac and which one is most famous? Pyro from X-Men. I love X-Men. Same deal I did with that video i posted for the coachman.

I'll try do sidekicks tonight if I have time.
I honestly think you overdid it in the villains one.

and you and I have mostly similar tastes.

and thx 4 posting a whole fucking episode of X-men: evolution. I like that show. :D
BwayJ
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BwayJ »

I posted Wednesday's list on my blog, but I'm falling a little bit late on my own thread here, aren't I? Oh well, I was right busy yesterday.

Disney's Five Best Animal Supporting Characters

1. Sebastian - For me, the most interesting Disney sidekicks are the ones who have their own story instead of just being around as the protagonist's receiver. Sebastian, for instance, is not even on Ariel's side until halfway through the movie. He just wants to do his job and to avoid Triton's rather horrid temper. It’s only when Ariel gets herself into a risky situation that he steps forward to help her. He’s got a big heart that doesn’t show itself right away, plus he’s a master at organizing musical numbers on the fly.

2. Jiminy Cricket - Like Sebastian, Jiminy starts the film looking out for himself instead of anyone else. Even when he becomes Pinocchio’s conscience, he’s ineffectual and quick to give up. Nevertheless, he sticks with Pinocchio and helps him escape the repercussions of temptation. Jiminy is a rover who learns about responsibility, not to mention he’s the figure that keeps Pinocchio bright despite its dark morality.

3. Tigger - The jovially impulsive Tigger (along with Owl and Eeyore) keeps the movie, and even the whole Winnie the Pooh franchise, from being too quaint. He’s a very lovable fool, always bragging that he can do anything that pops into his head. Paul Winchell’s boisterous performance defined Tigger’s foolhardiness in a way that could not be replaced, not even by the great Jim Cummings.

4. Iago - It’s hard to admit it, but Jafar is not that funny by himself. Most of his laughs come when he plays off his treacherous chatterbox of a parrot, played by Gilbert Gottfried. Iago is a nasty little bugger, but his cacophonous voice and his ability to mimic people’s voices and physicality make him an enduring bundle of laughs and surprises.

5. The Cheshire Cat - Some, including animator Ward Kimball, consider the Cheshire Cat to be the only truly mad character in Walt's version of Alice, and I’m inclined to agree with that. While the other characters are so rambunctious they look like they’re trying to be insane, the Cheshire Cat acts coolly and nonchalantly as he confounds Alice. His unnerving voice and his power to disappear keep you anxious about what he will do next, especially since his idea of fun can be life-threatening.

Just Missed the Cut: Archimedes, Thumper, Timothy Q. Mouse

Disney's Five Best Human or Humanoid Supporting Sharacters

1. The Seven Dwarfs - Even with the Queen's lethal ruthlessness, Snow White would feel twee and girly without the Seven Dwarfs. Each dwarf’s personality contrasts with the other one hilariously, with the possibilities for comic exchanges being mathematically extensive. The expert timing from both the actors and the animators set a great example for all animated supporting characters to follow.

2. Flora, Fauna & Merryweather - It’s arguable that the fairies are the real heroes of this movie. (Aurora's function is a stone's throw away from being a MacGuffin.) Still, I suppose calling these ladies the leads instead of the title character is a little unfair. (You wouldn't call the mice in Cinderella the protagonists, would you?) These doddering old ladies are adorable in their protective nature and in how they use their magic while bickering. They make a few fatal mistakes throughout the film, but they are just too sweet to hold much against them.

3. The Genie - Along with the music and the underdog story, the Genie was a big reason for Aladdin's enormous financial success. Arriving in the film right when the plot needed some energy, Robin Williams’ jokey yet honest performance is visualized splendidly by Eric Goldberg’s manic, Hirschfeld-style animation. The skeptic in me wonders how the Genie knows about these futuristic references if he's been trapped in his lamp for 10,000 years, but I usually toss that aside in favor of a barrel full of chuckles.

4. Horace and Jasper - These Cockney idiots are my favorite example of inept henchmen. What makes them especially amusing is how they try to appear competent. (I love Jasper’s snooty face when he makes up that rambling reference to Parliament.) This, of course, makes it even funnier when they make utter fools of themselves. Their comical bungling is enough to keep us from asking, “Why the heck did Cruella hire these dolts?”

5. The King & The Grand Duke - These two are the other great result of the padding in Cinderella. It was hard to choose between them and King Stefan & King Hubert from Sleeping Beauty, but the Cinderella pair made it with their extended screen time. The pairing of an impatiently loving king and a nervous yes-man of a duke is comic gold. Their exchanges are some of my favorite Disney lines to quote.

Just Missed the Cut: King Triton, Kronk, Mr. Smee
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

ajmrowland wrote: I honestly think you overdid it in the villains one.
in a good or bad way? maybe I did, I dunno.
ajmrowland wrote:and you and I have mostly similar tastes.
HA!
ajmrowland wrote:and thx 4 posting a whole fucking episode of X-men: evolution. I like that show. :D
I couldn't find one with the intended scene alone so I post the whole episode one and point out the time track I was referring to.

Yes, X-Men Evo was great.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
avonleastories95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by avonleastories95 »

The Best Animal Sidekicks according to Matt:
5. The Caterpillar
4. Zazu
3. Diablo and/or as Jay put it "Bartholomew"
2. The White Rabbit (So true to me!)
1. Jiminy Cricket

Best Human Sidekicks
5. The 7 Dwarfs
4. The King of Hearts
3. Kronk
2. Chien-Po
1. King Humbert
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Super Aurora wrote:
ajmrowland wrote: I honestly think you overdid it in the villains one.
in a good or bad way? maybe I did, I dunno.
In a bad way. It's funny, but the Heroes one was moreso.

Looks like somebody has sequel-itis.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Best Animal Sidekicks:

1. Rufus: the old cat living in the orphanage is just the kind of friend little Penny needs. When she tells him she didn't get picked on adoption day, because some other girl was probably prettier, you can almost see his heart breaking. But he doesn't show it to the girl, instead cheering her up with a touching tale about the bluebird. I like to image that Rufus moved with Penny when she got adopted at the end of the movie. I love how he was modeled after Ollie Johnston.

2. Jiminy Cricket: for all the reasons named by BwayJ.

3. Timothy Mouse: because he's the only one who really believes in Dumbo. Despite his small appearance, Timothy never hesitated to stand up for his friend. Without him, Dumbo would never have discovered his special ability to fly. Remember, he came up with the tric of the magic feather.

4. Baloo: although I really see him as the other main character of The Jungle Book, I guess most people would include him in this category. He starts out as this freewheeling, careless character who's all about the fun, but slowly has to take responsibility for Mowgli. Wonderful is the scene in which he tries to tell an unsuspecting Mowgli he's taking him back to the village. And who could forget his near-death scene?

5. Sebastian: like BwayJ said: he was his own character with his own storyline, but he slowly changed and learned to see Ariel's point of view. He had one of Disney's best songs and a great voice in Sam Wright, as well as some of the film's funniest moments.

Best Human/Humanoid Sidekicks:

1. Penny: again, I would call her the movie's star, like Johnston & Thomas did in their animation bible, but most people would disagree, I think. Penny is the reason the movie works. The sequel suffered from not having a star that was as appealing as her.

2. The Seven Dwarves: again (again!), I would call them the main protoganists of their movie. It's really through them that we get to know Snow White. Doc and Grumpy stand out the most as the characters with the best developed personalities. Dopey is fun, but there's not as much to him as the other two. I'm still impressed by the scene where Grumpy breaks down at Snow White's death bed.

3. Genie: hard to call this a 'humanoid' character, and really the other main character of Aladdin. I don't think anyone else but Robin Williams could have given him not only so much energy and humor, but also the sincere moments. When at the end of the film, he says: "you'll always be a prince to me", it doesn't sound saccharine sweet; it sounds sincere. Most of all, his zany antics make the movie.

4. Mr. Snoops: just because he's hilarious.

5. Roger: does he count as a sidekick? I mean, the real stars were the dalmatians, right? I just love his clumsiness and his shyness. That scene where he stands up to Cruella is priceless. I almost found him more interesting than the dalmatians... Almost.
SmartAleck25
Special Edition

Post by SmartAleck25 »

Best I Want Songs:

1. Reflection- Haunting and beautiful. It shows Mulan's humbleness as well, all she wants is to be herself.

2. When Will My Life Begin- Catchy and heartfelt. It shows the craziness of Rapunzel's cramped life. I love the Reprise 1, the one not in the movie, because it shows Rapunzel just needs something to put a spark in her life.

3. Part of Your World- Sure it makes Ariel seems sort of greedy, but the melody is gorgeous as is Jodi Benson's voice, and like Rapunzel, it shows Ariel needs a spark.

4. Almost There- I love the jazziness, and again, with the character. Tiana has been working really hard, and she realizes her goal is within reach. That's all she wants.

5. One Jump Ahead (Reprise)- A much slower, better version of the frantic regular version, it puts so much insight into Aladdin's character in 30 seconds. Wow.

Best Love Songs:

1. Beauty and the Beast- I just love everything about this song. The instruments, Angela Lansbury's beautiful voice, and the lyrics. It's all so magical.

2. A Whole New World- I also love everything about this one, I just like Beauty and the Beast a teensy bit better. A beautiful, sweeping highlight of the movie.

3. Can You Feel the Love Tonight- Just beautiful, the melody stays in my head for days. The verses with Simba and Nala are somewhat lacking, but the chorus makes up for everything. I love the African chants in the background, it makes the song exotic.

4. I See the Light- Again, downright gorgeous. It goes even better with the scene. However, the song just doesn't resonate as well with me as the top 3, but only barely.

5. Once Upon a Dream- I love how it uses the actual Tchaikovsky composition to serve as the melody. As a lover of classical music, how can I not like it?
BwayJ
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BwayJ »

Disney's Five Best "I Want" Songs

1. Part of Your World - Of the songs on this list, this one benefits its movie the most. Without it, Ariel might appear to be a spoiled brat (or more than she already does, as the detractors would say). She makes her case with some pretty singing and some brilliant work from lyricist Howard Ashman and animator Glen Keane. The song makes us understand that Ariel’s dream is a heartfelt desire and not some superficial sweet sixteen present.

2. Out There - The construction of this song is very intriguing. It begins with the villain singing to the hero about the hero’s oppression. We usually see that scenario played out in a spoken scene before the song. Frollo’s sonorous beginning makes Quasimodo’s hopeful finale all the more appealing. It’s quite an uplifting finish as he sings and climbs over Notre Dame in long wide shots reminiscent of The Sound of Music.

3. God Help the Outcasts - Perhaps it’s an impropriety to have two songs from the same movie on the list, but they are both too good to exclude. It’s a spiritual song that adds gravitas to the film without being gloomy. The only misstep is the bridge where the “normal” people pray for completely selfish things. It stretches the point out a little too much, though it provides us with some nice choir singing. This is still a nice song that is appropriately pro-faith.

4. Almost There - When I first saw The Princess and the Frog, this number was point where I started crying happily. This was Disney’s first animated production number in ages, with the concept being a neat spin on the “I Want” song (she has just about reached her goal already). The sequence is dressed in entrancing designs inspired by Harlem Renaissance artist Aaron Douglas. Watching this number, I felt my hope that Disney was putting effort into reviving their classic style was being vindicated.

5. Just Around the Riverbend - This is not a particularly hummable “I Want” song, but that doesn’t always matter. (How would I like Stephen Sondheim if it did?). In this case, the melody mirrors the ebb and flow of the river Pocahontas navigates, which keeps it busy and has it alternating between calm and rapid. The lyrics properly express that Pocahontas likes change and is not searching for anything specific in life, an unusual notion for a Disney Princess.

Just Missed the Cut: Go the Distance, I Wonder, Son of Man

Disney's Five Best Love Songs

1. Bella Notte - I’m surprised this ended up number one since I’ve seen Lady and the Tramp’s accidental kiss enough times that it’s not as special anymore. I still love that bit (and when the Tramp gives Lady that last meatball), but not quite as much because of overexposure. The song, though, is something I’ll never get tired of. The lyrics are timeless, the music is lushly orchestrated and the animation is exceptional. Except for the space dance in WALL-E, this sequence is as romantic as animation gets.

2. Someday My Prince Will Come - Why can’t we have songs like this anymore? If a modern movie has a song this optimistic and innocent, it’s usually for irony or for comic ridicule (like in Shrek and Enchanted). In this movie, it’s just an honest declaration of love, with Adriana Caselotti’s performance adding a touch of adult longing to a childlike character. This song is a warm, nostalgic and comforting gem that will never overstay its welcome.

3. Baby Mine - First, this song counts since it’s about parental love. Second, say what you will about Bambi’s mother, but I’ve always been more affected by seeing Mrs. Jumbo’s trunk reach through her cage to hug and rock her son. The lovely lullaby we hear makes the separation even less bearable (if it ever was). I wish there was more of Mrs. Jumbo and Dumbo and less of the other animal families, but I suppose we can only take so much sadness in one moment.

4. Beauty and the Beast - I thought this song was a little boring when I was a kid, and now I think it’s a little sudden since Belle and the Beast’s courtship is breezed through. Still, I’d be remiss to ignore this song’s self-referential concept. Rather than gushing about these characters getting together, Howard Ashman’s lyrics cleverly comment on the timelessness and appeal of romance stories. Alan Menken’s melody is superb, and Angela Lansbury’s vocals turn a pretty song into something exquisite.

5. Kiss the Girl - This song continues the Disney tradition of animals helping the heroine out in some musical way, whether it is cleaning the house in Snow White or making a dress in Cinderella. This time, they sing a soothing calypso song to get Eric to kiss Ariel. The choreography of these animals gets sillier as the song gets louder and more emphatic, creating an irresistible combination of humor and music.

Just Missed the Cut: I'm Wishing/One Song, Once Upon a Dream, Strangers Like Me
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

"I Want" Songs:
1. Out There
2. Part of Your World
3. Jump Ahead reprise
4. Almost There
5. Just Around the Riverbend

Love Songs:
1. A Whole New World
2. Bella Notte
3. Beauty and the Beast
4. Kiss the Girl
5. Looking for Romance (I Bring You a Song)
avonleastories95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by avonleastories95 »

Best "I Want" songs:
5. Belle (Reprise)/ Oh, the World Owes Me A Livin' (depends on whom you ask)
4. Almost There
3. Go the Distance/I'm Wishing
2. Out There
1. A World of my Own

Best Love Songs:
5. Kiss de Girl
4. I See The Light
3. Beauty and the Beast
2. So This Is Love
1. Bella Notte
BwayJ
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BwayJ »

Well, I fell behind on my writeup for Friday, so I'll just post the picks for that day.

Disney's Five Best Villain Songs
1. Hellfire
2. Poor Unfortunate Souls
3. The Headless Horseman
4. Be Prepared
5. Friends on the Other Side
Just Missed the Cut: Cruella de Vil, Goodbye So Soon, The Mob Song

Disney's Five Best Showstoppers:
1. Be Our Guest
2. Under the Sea
3. The Silly Song
4. Pink Elephants on Parade
5. Friend Like Me
Just Missed the Cut: He's a Tramp, The Three Caballeros, You Can Fly
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Dang! I just realized I forgot to put in my choices for Friday's subjects. lol Friday was on the busy side.

Villain Songs:
1. Hellfire
2. Poor Unfortunate Souls
3. Be Prepared
4. Friends on the Other Side
5. Prince Ali reprise (the way Jafar sings "Read my lips and come to grips with reality" cracks me up)

Showstoppers:
1. Topsy Turvy
2. Be Our Guest
3. Friend Like Me
4. Under the Sea
5. Pink Elephants on Parade
SmartAleck25
Special Edition

Post by SmartAleck25 »

I'm behind, so here goes:

Best Villain Songs:

1. Be Prepared- It's just so pompous and over-the-top, and the tune is so catchy, how could I not like it?

2. Poor Unfortunate Souls- A wild, crazy, mad song. Pat Carroll perfectly captures Ursula's personality here. Plus the lyrics are amazing!

3. Friends on the Other Side- Short, but good tune. It goes great with the visuals!

4. Hellfire- Chilling and haunting. Definitely not something you sing in the shower!

5. Mine, Mine, Mine- Stupid villain, but I love the tune. The lyrics are pretty good too.

Best Showstoppers:

1. Under the Sea- Beautiful, magical, and one of the catchiest tunes of all time. Totally deserved the Oscar!

2. Be Our Guest- Simply beautiful. All the accompanying vocals are great, and the lyrics are so clever. Second best song from Beauty and the Beast!

3. Circle of Life- Does this count? To me it's a showstopper, it leaves you utterly awestruck.

4. Colors of the Wind- Just beautiful. May be a little preachy, but the melody is gorgeous, as are the lyrics.

5. Bells of Notre Dame- The part at the end gets me every time.

Best Openings:

1. The Lion King- Simba's ceremony: This one tops the cake. It's so moving, epic, and profound, and not a single exchange of dialouge is uttered. It doesn't get much better than this.

2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame- Quasimodo's story: Smooth and beautiful, it tells you a lot about Frollo's character. The ending, with Quasimodo ringing the bells is possibly my favorite moment of the whole film.

3. Beauty and the Beast- The Beast's story: The music is haunting, David Ogden Stier's voice gets you, and the stained glass window paintings are beautiful.

4. Pinocchio- Jiminy Cricket meets Gepetto's family: The beginning of Pinocchio is very heartwarming, and you can't beat the beautifulness of When You Wish Upon a Star.

5. 101 Dalmatians- PUPPIES! (and dogs): It's very clever, and the score is great.

Best Endings:

1. The Lion King- Kiara's ceremony: Not as powerful as the beginning, but great with the "circle of life" idea.

2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame- Quasimodo is accepted: Wow, this is like a repeat of the beginnings! Not only is it heartwarming to see Quasimodo as the hero, everything is right and Clopin dazzles us again with his amazing vocals.

3. Pocahontas- Pocahontas says goodbye to John Smith: A bittersweet ending. The score is simply beautiful, and the scene looks great.

4. Alice in Wonderland- Alice wakes up: It's such a crazy, mad, wonderful ending, you can't help but like it despite the wackiness.

5. Peter Pan- George sees the ship: I just love this ending, it shows how Peter Pan has brought the Darling family closer.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Best Love Songs

1. “Beauty and the Beast” ~ Beautiful song, with minimal lyrics, that evokes a definite romantic mood. Angela Lansbury's vocal makes it. I think it helps to have an older woman singing the song--an aged woman who’s been through it all before looking on new love.
2. “A Whole New World” ~ I think some of the lyrics around the middle (when Jasmine comes in) are a bit bleh, but the music alone is absolutely beautiful. Sometimes I just love to sit at the piano and play this over. It's one of the main reasons that make me want to watch Aladdin every time I do.
3. “Kiss the Girl”
4. "One Song" ~ Declaration of love. Ignoring the fact that SW and her prince are one-dimensional, the song itself is a favorite of mine.
5. “If I Never Knew You” ~ I'm not crazy about the cut film scene, but I do like the end credits version. The lyrics are very sweet, imo.

Best Heroes and Heroines

1. Basil - Ariel
2. Jim Hawkins - Megara
3. Merlin - Tiana
4. Hercules - Cinderella
5. Naveen - Alice
(Others: Duchess, Pocahontas, Aladdin)

Best Villain Songs

1 .“Poor Unfortunate Souls” ~ My favorite Disney song, period.
2. “Hellfire”
3. “Goodbye, So Soon”
(other songs not from the films)
4. “Snuff Out the Light” ~ This makes me wish The Kingdom of the Sun had happened. Love the lyrics and Eartha Kitt's performance. "Who big enough to be my enemy? Of course, the sun!" "Whatever it takes to keep my looks, you can't blame a girl for tryin'"
5. “All Good Things Must End” ~ The lyrics probably aren't as strong as "Poor Unfortunate Souls," but it definitely carries the spirit of the character in it (and fleshes it out). Too bad we'll never hear Pat Carroll sing this.

Best Showstoppers

1. “Prince Ali” ~ For some reason, I lot of people aren't crazy about this song. I mean, there are the Genie antics going on, but this was of the most uproarious Disney songs for me.
2. “Be Our Guest”
3. “Zero to Hero”
4. “Under the Sea”
5. “Son of Man”
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Openings:
1. The Lion King
2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
3. Beauty and the Beast
4. Dinosaur
5. Tarzan

Endings:
1. The Lion King
2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
3. Pocahontas
4. Aladdin
5. Bambi
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Catching up:

Best "I want"-songs:

1. The journey: I consider this an 'I want'-song: it's Penny's outcry to the world: someone, anyone, please help me. It's one of Disney's most intense songs, given urgency by Shelby Flint's amazing singing. I love how the pastel drawings are not just a cost-cutting measure (which, let's be honest, they were), but also complement the atmosphere of the song so well.

2. I'm wishing/One song: I love, love, love Andrea Casselotti's (singing) voice. I might just be the only person in the world, but I don't care. The whole sequence is just so wonderful. It's very much a product of its time and terribly outdated in this day and age, but it still appeals to me very much.

3. Part of your world: I believe this is the best song Howard Ashman and Alan Menken have composed. It's truly perfect. Add to that the wonderful character of Ariel and the great animation.

4. Out there: BwayJ reminded me of the song. How I could've forgotten about it, I'll never know, because it's one of Menken's best works. It has a kind of epic grandeur to it that really resonates with me. Singing is bone-chilling, too. Underrated song in an underrated film.

5. Just around the riverbend: Okay, the river is maybe a bit too obvious a metaphor for Pocahontas' life and the choice she has to make, but that doesn't take away anything from the energy that comes bursting through this scene, from that spectacular voice.

Best love song:

1. Beauty and the Beast: Because I still get goosebumps every time I watch that scene (or even listen to the song). I don't like the Celine Dion version at all; it has to be Angela Lansbury for me. That ballroom-scene was ground-breaking and breath-taking. But ever since having seen Lilo & Stitch, I always expect Stitch to crawl over the painted ceiling during that scene. ;)

2. Whole new world: Incredible how Tim Rice made this sound just like an Howard Ashman song. Love the theme of two young people exploring the world together.

3. Kiss the girl: Although I'm sometimes thrown-off by the off-model Ariels, I still think this is one of the highlights of the movie. Love Sebastian's singing and the whole general atmosphere of the scene.

4. Bella Notte: One of Disney's most iconic scenes.

5. Love: I like how it's so straight-forward and to-the-point. It doesn't have the sophisticated lyrics of the other Disney songs and it has a very plain melody, but it also has charm and heart. And there's nothing wrong with being plain sometimes. Robin and Marian love each other and that's all we want to know.

Best villain songs: (Just realizing Walt's villains had no songs, except for Kaa)

1. Hellfire: Whenever I show this to people who are not too familiar with Disney, they're always shocked and repeatedly ask if I'm sure this is *really* "Disney". Frollo is not your typical Disney-villain. Yes, he's evil but he believes he's doing the right thing. But, as shown in this song, he also, maybe subconsiously, feels that what he does is somehow immoral and he asks forgiveness to God. This is unique in a Disney movie and therefore deserving of the no. 1 spot.

2. Be prepared: Although I'm not a fan of The Lion King, this is just pure awesomeness. A villainous lion who sits on a rock watching over his marching army of hyenas in the 'best' nazi tradition... that takes some balls.

3. Gaston: Because it's so wonderfully over-the-top and so delightfully theatrical. The lyrics are just so much fun, so absurd, so hilarious. Just take a line like: "Every last inch of me is covered with hair". I'm sure this is Super A.'s favorite song! :P

4. Poor unfortunate souls: Pat Carroll. Need I say more? I'm still amazed everytime I hear that song. What a great performance.

5. The world's greatest criminal mind: I like the rhyme and rythm in this one; sounds and feels like an Ashman-song. I wonder if he took some inspiration from this song, which was made legendary by Vincent Price.

Best show-stopping number:

1. Pink Elephants on Parade: Arguably the most amazing, original, ground-breaking animation Walt's artists have ever done. It's so out of synch with the rest of the movie (and with anything Disney had ever done up to that point), yet it works, because it's a perfectly logical extension from the plot-line of Dumbo and Timmy getting drunk. Disney was more daring back then; dared to break the mold and screw with the Disney Essence.

2. The Three Caballeros: Just for the sheer energy and creativity that just seems to burst from the screen. And it's hilariously funny, too. Ward Kimball did such a great job here.

3. Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride: Makes me wanna take up surfing. I'm so glad this wasn't cut from the film (as was being considered, according to the audio commentary). Catchy melody and wonderful background vocals by the children's choir; I love the authentic Hawaiian lyrics. This sequence really develops the bond between Lilo & Stitch very well.

4. The Silly Song: It was so good, that 35 years later, Reitherman copied the entire scene for Robin Hood. ;)

5. Let me be good to you: Was this from a Disney film? Stripping girls? Singing about drinking beer? Male mice who get so horny that their friends have to keep them from entering the stage? Disney was so much more daring in the 1980's. Beautifully sung.

EDIT: I had to axe 'Phony king of England', 'Why should I worry' and 'Zero to hero'.
Last edited by Goliath on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SmartAleck25
Special Edition

Post by SmartAleck25 »

Last one!

Best 10 Animated Features:

1. The Lion King- It is and always will be my favorite movie ever. It's epic, emotional, grand, romantic, and adventurous, and the songs are amazing, as is the animation. The characters are very identifiable, and it's downright hilarious in certain parts. I think there's a reason it was so popular during the Renaissance and how it sort of made Pocahontas look bad. I know not everyone on this board agrees, but I love the Lion King.

2. Pinocchio- There is something very emotional in this film that deeply resonates with me. Maybe it's the bond between Pinocchio and Jiminy (or Pinocchio and Gepetto), maybe it's the nostalgia, maybe it's the change of character, who knows. But Pinocchio does almost everything right in my book, and it's amazing considering its age. Nowadays, people only seem to recognize it for When You Wish Upon a Star and the lying scene, but there's so much more to Pinocchio, something I only discovered recently.

3. Fantasia- A masterful, wonderful work of art. Classical music and Disney mesh very well together, and the only segment I truly don't care for is the Rite of Spring, but everything else is absolutely brilliant. How Disney created this after Snow White and Pinocchio is a marvelous, wondrous thing.

4. Beauty and the Beast- A beautiful, sweeping love story that brings back the feeling of the Fab 5 while bringing new things to the table. Probably the best Disney soundtrack ever. It has its issues, but they are hardly noticeable because you're enjoying the film so much.

5. Mulan- A delicate, gorgeous movie: Mulan's character is very well-developed and respectable, and the movie gives me chills and laughs. One of my favorites.

6. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs- Probably purely for nostalgia. It still warms my heart to this day.

7. 101 Dalmatians- Funny, exciting, and heartfelt, this little adventure is pure fun for everyone.

8. Pocahontas- It's often looked down upon because of the Lion King, but I think Pocahontas gets a lot of things right in a movie. Great animation and music.

9. The Hunchback of Notre Dame- Dark, mysterious, and frightening, it was a welcome change for Disney. Some of the jokes could be handled better, but it's a pretty darn good movie despite its touchy subject material.

10. Hercules- Funny, fresh, and epic, Hercules is pure family entertainment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Goliath wrote:2. I'm wishing/One song: I love, love, love Andrea Casselotti's (singing) voice. I might just be the only person in the world, but I don't care.
You're not the only one. :wink: For some reason, a lot of people hate her voice, but--on this song, at least (and "WWYW")--I really like her. Not as crazy about "Someday..." though.

I had actually made an "I Want" song list, but I didn't want to overload my other post (I have a tendency of that). I mostly had the same choices as you, though rearranged.

1. "Part of That World" ~ It amazes me sometimes how Ashman could make the most out of simplicity. I only wish he had been alive for the whole Disney renaissance, to see what he might've contributed to the other films--both song-wise and story-wise.
2. "Just Around the Riverbend" ~ Love this song, and love Judy Kuhn's performance.
3. "I'm Wishing" ~ I love the original, but I also adore the On The Record version of this. Another beautiful song for piano.
4. "Out There" ~ I love this song whenever I listen to the soundtrack, which only reminds me of how disappointing the sequence that goes along with it is. I always felt Quasi was given too much gravity, which kind of kept the scene from being more memorable. Or maybe I have my expectations too high because of a gravity-less "PoTW." :P It just always felt a little dry, whereas I always want animation to take it farther than a live-action film could.
5. "Go the Distance" ~ More for the melody than anything. The lyrics are a bit bleh, but it's really beautiful as an instrumental.

I had a tough time with this though, which makes me realize how too easily people can classify any song sung by the protagonist as an "I Want" song.

Openings

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. The Lion King
3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
4. The Little Mermaid ~ For the underwater sequence.
5. Cinderella

Endings

1. The Little Mermaid
2. The Lion King ~ I love the slow-mo climb, with the other characters' looking on, seeing how he's grown into responsibility. And then the look-out at the Pride Lands and how it's breen driven under by Scar. Leading up to the roar. The spiritual music helps it.
3. Pocahontas
4. Pinocchio ~ Geppetto is one of Disney's most sympathetic characters, imo, and this is one of the few endings where I'm just ecstatic that the main character gets what they've hoped for.
5. Dumbo

I've given really good response to the above in the "Favorite Happy Ending" thread. I think that was the best I've put into words my feelings for TLM's ending.
Listening to most often lately:
Abi Carter ~ "Part of Your World" (live)
Taylor Swift ~ "The Alchemy"
Taylor Swift ~ "The Prophecy"
Sky Syndrome
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sky Syndrome »

Animated Features:
1. Fantasia
2. The Lion King
3. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
4. Beauty and the Beast
5. The Little Mermaid
6. Aladdin