Glen Keane Moving to DreamWorks?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

estefan wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:can some one write down a list of all former Disney employees that now defect to Dreamwork? I'm curious which people and how many move out. Cause other than Glen, I don't hear much from any other Disney animator/director celebrities nowadays.
Chris Sanders
Dean DeBlois
Brenda Chapman (though she's at Pixar now)
Mark Dindal
Gary Trousdale
Bonnie Arnold
Karey Kirkpatrick
Will Finn

Those are the first that come to mind, anyway. There are probably more.
That is a lot of the folks who gave us the Animation Renaissance in the 90's right there. Oops, looks like Disney can't retain their All-Stars very well.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

You forgot James Baxter.
Semaj
Anniversary Edition

Post by Semaj »

It's not just Disney artists getting sucked into DreamWorks; a bunch of artists from Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network have gone there as well.

Scott Wills
Craig Kellman
Tom McGrath
Andy Bialk
Mark O'Hare
Chris Reccardi
Lynne Naylor
Conrad Vernon

It's sort of a Hanna-Barberian process, where a large number of talented artists from multiple studios work for a studio with endless projects, but poor quality control.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Animation is animation folks. Animators from all kinds of studios work for other studios all the time. its not about who's loyal to what studio. great stuff can come from any of them.
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

Let them have Glen Keane who did his best, most remembered work in the '90s. At the rate DreamWorks is churning them out (ack), Glen can be a part of DreamWorks 50th film as well. Disney doesn't own him, so if he want's to tarnish his reputation with a stint at DreamWorks, let him.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

MutantEnemy wrote:Let them have Glen Keane who did his best, most remembered work in the '90s. At the rate DreamWorks is churning them out (ack), Glen can be a part of DreamWorks 50th film as well. Disney doesn't own him, so if he want's to tarnish his reputation with a stint at DreamWorks, let him.
Chris Sanders and DeanDeBlois haven't tarnished their reputation. I'm not going to pretend that Dreamworks finally seems to be priding quality over quantity, but perhaps if they actually put talented people in charge of movies, they'll end up with quality material.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Why do you assume this would tarnish his reputation? Dreamworks is capable of making good/great movies like Kungfu panda and how to train your dragon. They wouldn't bring him on just to work on Puss In Boots or some other crap.

DW might as well have two studios, they have so many things in production at once. One can pump out Shrek sequels, and the other original, quality stuff.
Last edited by Kyle on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

SpringHeelJack wrote:
MutantEnemy wrote:Let them have Glen Keane who did his best, most remembered work in the '90s. At the rate DreamWorks is churning them out (ack), Glen can be a part of DreamWorks 50th film as well. Disney doesn't own him, so if he want's to tarnish his reputation with a stint at DreamWorks, let him.
Chris Sanders and DeanDeBlois haven't tarnished their reputation. I'm not going to pretend that Dreamworks finally seems to be priding quality over quantity, but perhaps if they actually put talented people in charge of movies, they'll end up with quality material.
Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois don't have multiple films under their belt at Disney, so their loss is less impacting than the loss of Glen Keane. Unless you talk to the people who assume that because L&S was good, that American Dog was going to be Epic. This is all because Jeffrey Katzenberg wants to buy talent, instead of fostering and nurturing new talent. He wanted to run Disney Animation and he's almost there...
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

estefan wrote:
Super Aurora wrote:can some one write down a list of all former Disney employees that now defect to Dreamwork? I'm curious which people and how many move out. Cause other than Glen, I don't hear much from any other Disney animator/director celebrities nowadays.
Chris Sanders
Dean DeBlois
Mark Dindal
Gary Trousdale
Bonnie Arnold
Karey Kirkpatrick
Will Finn

Thanks. Can you fill me in what they were famous for doing in Disney?

All I know of Chris Sanders, Dean DeBlois, and Gary Trousdale (though I wonder what Kirk Wise is doing since Gary is in DW).
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

Kyle wrote:Why do you assume this would tarnish his reputation? Dreamworks is capable of making good/great movies like Kungfu panda and how to train your dragon. They wouldn't bring him on just to work on Puss In Boots or some other crap.

DW might as well have two studios, they have so many things in projection at once. one can pump out Shrek sequels, and the other original, quality stuff.
Past performance is not indicative of future performance. For every How to Train Your Dragon, there is a SharkTale/MegaMind/Monsters Vs. Aliens/Bee Movie/DreamWorks Sequel... and I mean that as in a 1:5 ratio, one good, 5 bad.
MutantEnemy
Special Edition

Post by MutantEnemy »

Super Aurora wrote:
estefan wrote: Chris Sanders
Dean DeBlois
Mark Dindal
Gary Trousdale
Bonnie Arnold
Karey Kirkpatrick
Will Finn

Thanks. Can you fill me in what they were famous for doing in Disney?

All I know of Chris Sanders, Dean DeBlois, and Gary Trousdale (though I wonder what Kirk Wise is doing since Gary is in DW).
Mark Dindal- Director of The Emperor's New Groove and Chicken Little
Bonnie Arnold- Producer of Toy Story and Tarzan
Karey Kirkpatrick-Screenwriter for Rescuers Down Under and James and the Giant Peach
Will Finn-Multiple career aspects on Oliver & Company, The Rescuers Down Under, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, A Goofy Movie, Pocahontas, Hunchback, Home on the Range, Chicken Little...
Brenda Chapman- Story supervisor for Lion King, worked on story for Beauty and the Beast, Hunchback, Fantasia 2000. Also did Storyboard for The Little Mermaid and Rescuers Down Under.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Linden wrote: Oh, and disneyprincess11, don't feel bad about the "NOOOOO" video! The movie critic guy was getting old, but that's the first Darth Vader I've seen, and I laughed out loud! It pretty much summed up my first reaction, too.
:D
Yeah, I wasn't meaning that comment directed towards you disneyprincess11. I was talking about the movie critic guy. The Darth Vader one was funny. :)
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Excuse me, but....

Even though Lilo & Stitch is the only actual Disney movie he directed, Chris Sanders also worked on other Disney films such as Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Mulan and Runaway Brain, even if the latter doesn't technically count.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

DisneyJedi wrote:Excuse me, but....

Even though Lilo & Stitch is the only actual Disney movie he directed, Chris Sanders also worked on other Disney films such as Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Mulan and Runaway Brain, even if the latter doesn't technically count.
Yeah, but Chris Sanders simply doesn't have the Disney name attached to him in the same way that Glen does. Chris Sanders is not considered a "Disney Legend" at this point. Glen certainly is. It's really more about a name at this point. Like everyone has said, animation is animation and Glen is going to do what's best for him, at his own discretion. I don't think Disney will be stupid enough to let him go, simply for the fact that to the outside world, this would be a "victory" over Disney for Dreamworks. A big one. So I honestly don't see this happening.

Hell, for all we know, he's talking to Dreamworks trying to get them to team up with Disney on something. That'd be exciting.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:
Chris Sanders
Dean DeBlois
Mark Dindal
Gary Trousdale
Bonnie Arnold
Karey Kirkpatrick
Will Finn

Brenda is not at Pixar anymore; she's still on Pixar's payroll due to some contractual obligations but she has left Pixar.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Sotiris wrote:
estefan wrote: Chris Sanders
Dean DeBlois
Mark Dindal
Gary Trousdale
Bonnie Arnold
Karey Kirkpatrick
Will Finn

Brenda is not at Pixar anymore; she's still on Pixar's payroll due to some contractual obligations but she has left Pixar.
What happened to her? Did she just decide to quit or what?
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

SpringHeelJack wrote:What happened to her? Did she just decide to quit or what?
You know she was supposed to direct "Brave" for Pixar, right? Well, the alleged "director-driven" studio changed her vision of the story so much, (a story of her own creation that she based on her experience with her daughter) that she felt it had become a different story entirely from the one she envisioned so she decided to quit. It's very similar with what happened to Chris Sanders except that her project was said to be very good and didn't face much trouble (unlike Sanders who was said to have a more troubled production with American Dog).

John Sanford (another artist that left Pixar for DreamWorks) has said:
I do know more about this firing then most of you do. I wouldn’t be talking about it if I didn’t. I saw the MOVIE (not just a pitch) 3 years ago and it was brilliant. It was truly awesome, even in it’s rough state. One of the best early screenings I’ve ever seen. All they had to was build and shape. I have it on good authority that it has been “noted to death”. This was a movie that she wrote and conceived. She based the central character on her DAUGHTER.

I would accept the possibility that the film just wasn’t working,….except that I saw a screening that was truly amazing. It was a film full of heart, brilliant characters, and great moments. I left the screening thinking “Holy sh**! This is going to open things up around here the way The Incredibles did!” The problems the film did have were fixable. The idea that this movie wasn’t her cup of tea is laughable. She conceived it from the ground up! For the film not to be working at this point, someone must have thrown a pretty big monks wrench into it.
For more details you should check the "Brave" thread here:
http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=180
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Super Aurora wrote:(though I wonder what Kirk Wise is doing since Gary is in DW).
According to IMDb, since Atlantis, he directed the English dub of Spirited Away and was an executive producer on Oceans. Maybe he's working on something secret we don't know about. Animation directors tend to have big gaps between films because they develop projects for years that ultimately don't get made.

Back on topic, a good number of folks from Amblin Animation also went over to DreamWorks, after that studio was shut down. Makes sense, considering Spielberg co-founded DreamWorks with Katzenberg.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote: For more details you should check the "Brave" thread here:
http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=180
Wow, that's really terrible. Brenda's version sounds GREAT! If people are saying it's really good, John should leave that movie to be. And they would save us from another year of waiting by not changing it.
Linden wrote: Oh, and disneyprincess11, don't feel bad about the "NOOOOO" video! The movie critic guy was getting old, but that's the first Darth Vader I've seen, and I laughed out loud! It pretty much summed up my first reaction, too.
:D
Haha, thats great to hear! :D
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

OK, this may not be the appropriate thread but:

John Sanford explains why he left Pixar:
The details of how and why I left Pixar are well known to the people that matter. I cannot discuss the particulars of the case, as I am contractually bound not to do so. I will say this: NOT ONE person on the story crew or in many of the management positions felt my treatment was in anyway fair. Many came to me and told me I got a raw deal INCLUDING Brenda.

In addition, I CAN discuss how a few other folks have come to leave Pixar in recent years and say that maybe that might have some bearing on why I left. Here is the scenario: A story artist is brought in for an interview based on his portfolio and the strenght of his work at other studios. They like his drawing style, his approach to problem solving, his humor, and his approach to storytelling in general. He passes the interview with flying colors. He is a classic story man who can board an idea from scratch, board from a script and plus it, blue sky for gags, identify and diagnose structural problems and reccomend solutions and write usable dialogue. They hire him based on these strengths.

They assign him to a project where he discovers that at Pixar, you board from the script, and your job is basically to create perfectly drawn animatics with perfect layouts and perfectly on-model characters. Each sequence is roughly 800 to 1700 panels long, and they must be presented every friday. NO OVERTIME. This artist flounders. Why? BECAUSE HE HAS NEVER DONE THIS JOB BEFORE!!! The position of story artist means something else at Pixar. They have Michael Arndt, Andrew Stanton and people like that for IDEAS..they don’t need yours. You just illustrate what they want. This artist struggles…and is ultimately laid off.

It is the old Bait and switch. He was hired for one set of skills, and asked to do a job where none of those skills come into play. Like I said, this may or may not be what happened to me.

Am I angry? Eh..maybe. But I believe I have every right to be.
Source: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film ... brave.html

Even Lee Unkrich has said:
I would be lying if I didn't think there were certain times on this movie when I worried about being taken off it, so you do what you need to do.
Source: http://www.awn.com/articles/3d/unkrich- ... page/2%2C1

i.e. comply and do everything John Lasseter tells you to do. :roll: