Tron: Legacy

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Sneak Peek at the new TV series, TRON: Uprising!:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/tron-upr ... ailer.html
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Sneak Peek at the new TV series, TRON: Uprising!:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/tron-upr ... ailer.html
It looks good and hopefully will be as a whole too.
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

Wow! That looks amazing. Especially for television animation. I'm glad Disney hasn't put a halt to everything Tron-related. I know Tron: Legacy hasn't exactly done blockbuster numbers at the box office, but this is a good sign that a sequel will eventually be greenlighted.

I'm curious how that planned ten-part mini-series is going to differ in animation from this one.
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

Whoa! I'm excited for the idea of Tron being a franchise. Tron: Legacy left enough possible openings for an expanded universe. (Not that it was inconclusive, but there are definitely new directions for the story to go in!)
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Awesome doesn't begin to describe this! Bring it on, I want more Tron!
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

The "TRON: Legacy" $5 coupon is now live.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

SpringHeelJack wrote:The "TRON: Legacy" $5 coupon is now live.
I miss the days of the $10 off coupons. :(
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Barbossa wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote:The "TRON: Legacy" $5 coupon is now live.
I miss the days of the $10 off coupons. :(
Ugh, you and me both...

Here's hoping that Target will still take this for when I buy the individually packaged "TRON" and "TRON: Legacy" Blu-rays in addition to the automatic $8 off.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

As I am too lazy to construct a proper review, I'm just going to be short and say it was horribly disappointing. Close to no story, very poor direction and incredible pedestrian action set-pieces. If the latter two were good I might have forgiven it but they were as much as letdown as the joke of a story. $170m and they couldn't come up with a better script?

Disney may have made a lot of money but their movies were sh!t, and when I say sh!t I mean Alice in Wonderland as I did like both Prince of Persia and Sorcerer's Apprentice, and given their reception, to not like AiW and T:L says something.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

BK wrote:
As I am too lazy to construct a proper review, I'm just going to be short and say it was horribly disappointing. Close to no story, very poor direction and incredible pedestrian action set-pieces. If the latter two were good I might have forgiven it but they were as much as letdown as the joke of a story. $170m and they couldn't come up with a better script?
What the hell are you talking about? There aren't THREE "Tron" movies, only the Classic Original one and the new "Tron Legacy". Where is the third one you are talking about.

And just because you didn't like either of them doesn't mean they are bad movies. "TRON" has been critically praised for its special effects which were way ahead of their time, and then "TRON Legacy" was praised by the critics for the use of CGI and their ability to bring the 'young' Jeff Bridges into the new movie without skipping a beat.

Personally I liked "TRON" and "TRON Legacy" a lot, but I don't know if I liked them enough to spend $80 on the 5-disc set, when I never intend to go the 3-D thing with my HDTV. May just keep my Anniversary Edition of "TRON" and buy the Blu-ray of "TRON Legacy".
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

dvdjunkie wrote:BK wrote:
As I am too lazy to construct a proper review, I'm just going to be short and say it was horribly disappointing. 1. Close to no story, 2. very poor direction and 3. incredible pedestrian action set-pieces. If the latter two were good I might have forgiven it but they were as much as letdown as the joke of a story. $170m and they couldn't come up with a better script?
What the hell are you talking about? There aren't THREE "Tron" movies, only the Classic Original one and the new "Tron Legacy". Where is the third one you are talking about.

And just because you didn't like either of them doesn't mean they are bad movies. "TRON" has been critically praised for its special effects which were way ahead of their time, and then "TRON Legacy" was praised by the critics for the use of CGI and their ability to bring the 'young' Jeff Bridges into the new movie without skipping a beat.

Personally I liked "TRON" and "TRON Legacy" a lot, but I don't know if I liked them enough to spend $80 on the 5-disc set, when I never intend to go the 3-D thing with my HDTV. May just keep my Anniversary Edition of "TRON" and buy the Blu-ray of "TRON Legacy".
I bolded and numbered what BK was CLEARLY talking about when they were referring the latter two out of three things to make it easier for you. Also, the young Jeff Bridges animation was pretty universally DISLIKED by critics.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

dvdjunkie wrote:BK wrote:

I've never seen Tron, I was talking about Legacy's direction and action set-pieces. It seemed that for the latter they didn't go all out and that's possibly a product of the former.

I assume when you use 'hell' it is indicative of your opinion of it, which is positive. Of course if I don't like it it does not necessarily mean it is bad but I'm not sure how you can argue it is that good. Even Alice in Wonderland, which I thoroughly disliked, I can see some people praising more than critiquing but Legacy had only its visual effects going for it and Olivia Wilde. I haven't seen the original but Bridges character seemed way too lax and the relationship with his son was unbelievable, hardly any chemistry and the dialogue was just so shallow for 27 years apart. The scenes were tied together with a really rudimentary plot that seemed to only exist to tie those set-pieces together which has worked before in other films but this was wafer-thin and illogical. The arguably most ridiculously stupid scene was Michael Sheen's Zusto or whomever cameo at the nightclub.

First, the nightclub lacked any sort of fun or energy that Sheen tried to inject but failed. Second, almost like clockwork in fantasy movies these days of a supposedly bigger scope you will have an eccentric character (check), a key that is to help unlock a supposedly hard task (metaphorical here) but upon arrival at the scene and after it it is evident that this key is poorly written and exists as a diversion to supposedly show more diversity/character in the world and of course a betrayal may or may not be in place in this scene. Clearly he is Zuse, but ignoring that fact, for someone who fought alongside the rebels/ISOs and who plays all sides, his motives are always questionable and seemingly not well thought out. Given how many lightcycles he has existed in, it is laughable to think that he would trust Clu and that he does and also says instead of shows that he is important to Clu in this world reveals to us a very, very poorly written character. Was he in the original? Was this some nostalgic throwback? It sure as hell failed and the reason for this scene's entire existence is as well.

In fact, if I haven't already said, the script is godawful even for a critically lambasted movie. It rivals the Last Airbender but then that original material had supposedly more weight so TLA's failure to incorporate any of its themes is still a bigger failure as the popular impression of Tron is that it was a visual spectacle that had a weak story. Kosinski had Oblivion at Disney and whether or not the executives restricted his ideas and churned out this worthless piece of junk, I no longer look forward to it. His direction is really poor and makes you appreciate action directors that are the subject of Internet vitriol as it does show that you need some skill to pull it off. Maybe a different rating and stronger writers would make an overall stronger movie and would help to offset the otherwise lackadaisical efforts of Kosinski but the fault lies with him. In particular the decision to restrict the speed, spectacle and indeed scope no less in a movie showing off visual effects is dumbfounding. From the lightcycle race to the disc wars, from the wannabe climax airfight to the attack at the club, the potential for a fun flick was lost by poor decisions in choreography and possibly cinematography which of course is all ultimately in the hands of the director. Now if your wow scenes become generic, then you have to rely on your story, which of course Tron Legacy had none. Wilde's character had a nice little spunk going but Hedlund failed in chemistry where Gyllenhaal (sp?) and Cage succeeded. Bridges already had little to nothing to do and despite what may have happened in Tron he seemed poorly developed in this sequel which obviously, being mass marketed and the decision to withhold the Blu release of the original shows that Disney were trying to get that audience and thus reliance on the old 1982 movie must have been loose at best.

So, that possibly makes it much clearer on my dislike or disappointment for this movie. It creates a fantastic world but fails to showcase any of it and its characters and story are so poorly written that you don't invest in them and ultimately don't really care about it. Ah, and before I forget, the animation of young Bridges you call great, I found weird, mechanical, unbelievable, creepy and a bit of a joke. From the first scene I was wondering what the **** was with him and already knew/decided that he was a computer creation and a bad one at that. I don't think he has wrinkles at all, his eyes are dead, hand movements are especially mechanical and fails to convey any sort of seriousness for a villain, basically yet another poorly written character. People called Avatar Pocahontas with upgraded effects in space, but as much as I did, it at least was fun and had a believable script. Acting was subpar from Worthington and some elements did not work but the direction made it work and succeed for what it was set out to be. I had originally wanted Legacy to go on and Avatar like run given the sci-fi setup, otherworld etc but after seeing it I'm glad it was a modest success and not a runaway hit because it deserves it not. Avatar doesn't deserve its headline success and Cameron is a douchebag but that film was still leagues ahead of Disney's wannabe franchise.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

DancingCrab wrote:
dvdjunkie wrote:BK wrote: What the hell are you talking about? There aren't THREE "Tron" movies, only the Classic Original one and the new "Tron Legacy". Where is the third one you are talking about.

I bolded and numbered what BK was CLEARLY talking about when they were referring the latter two out of three things to make it easier for you. Also, the young Jeff Bridges animation was pretty universally DISLIKED by critics.
Thank you DancingCrab :) looks like I was shotgunned.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Note to BK:

Please accept my apologies, as I mis-read your original posting and without reading it again, reacted, and once again I was wrong.

You are correct on all three points, except that I think we all deserve our own opinion and I will stand by mine that I saw something totally different than you did in "Legacy".

The main problem with "Legacy" was they expected everyone to have seen "TRON" before they saw "Legacy" and that was not the case. When I went to see "Legacy" in our World Class IMAX Theater, I saw people leaving the feature about half-way through the movie. I think they were confused as to what was on the screen. But after reading some of your points, I think that they were expecting the same thing you were.

I wholly disagree with your opinion of "Avatar" - I truly think if you watch the three-hour version (the director's cut) on Blu-ray, you will see why James Cameron was so high on his movie. He said in several interviews that the cuts that Fox demanded were what cost him the Academy Award last year.

I totally agree with your hatred of "Alice in Wonderland", as it was boring and just not up to the standards of Disney. Even "Prince of Persia" and "Sorcerer's Apprentice", as hard to watch as they were, were still a whole lot better than "Alice".

Again please accept my apologies for my criticism of your original posting on "TRON Legacy".
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
CampbellzSoup
Anniversary Edition

Post by CampbellzSoup »

Prince of Persia and Sorcerers Apprentice at least had a clear narrative and didn't try to confuse the audience. Tron Legacy could have been just a fun popcorn flick, but it's so complex and tries to be confusing that it implodes on itself.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

It's not THAT confusing. It's a fairly muddled story, sure, but I didn't leave the theater screaming to the cosmos in a vain attempt to make sense of it all. And honestly, the script is better than the original one, for whatever that's worth to anyone.

I also doubt it TRIED to be confusing. Movies will try (and sometimes fail) to be complex, but I doubt anyone ever wants all audience members to leave thinking "What the hell was that?"
FigmentJedi
Gold Classic Collection

Post by FigmentJedi »

dvdjunkie wrote:
I totally agree with your hatred of "Alice in Wonderland", as it was boring and just not up to the standards of Disney. Even "Prince of Persia" and "Sorcerer's Apprentice", as hard to watch as they were, were still a whole lot better than "Alice".
And another thing with Alice was that it's whole "Alice returns to Wonderland as an adult to free it from the Queen and the Jabberwock" storyline has been done a few times already and way better.
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Watching both films back to back, I can officially declare (in my own opinion, of course ;) ) that Legacy is an excellent sequel to TRON. Both films have their flaws in the script department; TRON truly excels in the digital world while it has some struggles in the real world, while Legacy finds an easier balancing act. Aside from a few plot holes left unanswered (one or two I suspect deliberately, as director Kosinski envisioned this as the second film in an imagined trilogy), TRON Legacy picked up on just about everything that endeared me to the original TRON. I hope the merchandise and home video sales are profitable enough for us to see a third TRON film.
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Just thought I'd share this, as well - an interview with Joseph Kosinski, director of TRON Legacy, courtesy of ComingSoon.net :

Exclusive: Director Joseph Kosinski on TRON Legacy
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

dvdjunkie wrote:Note to BK:

Please accept my apologies, as I mis-read your original posting and without reading it again, reacted, and once again I was wrong.

You are correct on all three points, except that I think we all deserve our own opinion and I will stand by mine that I saw something totally different than you did in "Legacy".

The main problem with "Legacy" was they expected everyone to have seen "TRON" before they saw "Legacy" and that was not the case. When I went to see "Legacy" in our World Class IMAX Theater, I saw people leaving the feature about half-way through the movie. I think they were confused as to what was on the screen. But after reading some of your points, I think that they were expecting the same thing you were.

I wholly disagree with your opinion of "Avatar" - I truly think if you watch the three-hour version (the director's cut) on Blu-ray, you will see why James Cameron was so high on his movie. He said in several interviews that the cuts that Fox demanded were what cost him the Academy Award last year.

Again please accept my apologies for my criticism of your original posting on "TRON Legacy".
Accepted :)

I do hope you have a Blu-Ray player because I saw screenshot comparisons between DVD and Blu and Disney put absolute sh!t-all effort into Legacy's DVD. Pathetic honestly as I saw Unstoppable before it and the DVD was very strong. Don't want to sound like Luke here but purposefully making substandard DVDs to push people to Blu is kind of desperate.