Website ever updated?

Feedback for the site and forum: comments, questions, suggestions welcome.
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

Website ever updated?

Post by justcuttinhair »

Do they ever plan to update the Disney dvd reviews?/? I am kind of confused as to why, several releases, still have yet to be reviewed or commented on ...."Tonka", "Fighting Prince","Moon Pilot", "The Horse Without a Head".....does the list plan to be updated? this was one main reason I frequent the site so often was in the hopes on knowing how the dvd releases compare and whether or not the movie club was worth joining for these releases. I sometimes, feel that the pre-1980 live action releases get forgotten or given a "who cares?" treatment. Is anyone else on this board a fan? I have attempted several times to start discussions about the Anthology series and the wonderful tv movies, that rivaled the theatrical releases sometimes in terms of productions values and story.....and no one ever seems interested. If this is the case, can anyone refer me to a website or forum that might be a bit more appreciative?
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

The home video titles covered in this website's reviews are supplied to the staff as advance screeners from the studios. At this time, Disney does not submit Disney Movie Club titles for review (nor have they ever, though I think they certainly should).

Therefore, covering DMC titles would require the staff members to join the club, purchase these titles themselves, and then simply write them in their free time. I'm not sure if any of the staff members are currently DMC members, but regardless, it's difficult to justify devoting free time to reviewing personal purchases when there is so much studio-supplied product that must be reviewed within a limited time frame.

Writing a review for this site requires a considerable amount of time, much more than most readers probably realize. Still, even with a fairly small staff, nearly every day sees the publication of at least one new article (often more than one). I assure you that there is no single website or forum community on the internet that is more appreciative or mindful of Disney's pre-1980 live-action catalog. Simply perusing the indexes and the many reviews covering that time period should give you all the evidence of that you need. In fact, the reviews here not only cover those films and their DVDs in detail, but they also provide insightful commentary on that era in Disney filmmaking as a whole.

As for interest in these titles amongst forum members goes, I agree that the general public has largely forgotten these movies and that's reflected in even the most hardcore Disney fan communities. I don't think you'll have much luck with that on other forums either. There are plenty of us here who are very intrigued with Disney's classic live-action catalog, so don't feel discouraged if a particular thread fails to get traction. I recommend using the forum search tool to find older threads. A few years ago, there seemed to be greater interest in those movies than there is here at the moment, so you might find what you're looking for there.

Please note that the overwhelming majority of Disney movies, live-action or otherwise, that have been released to DVD are covered in reviews on this site. You won't find another media outlet providing the same depth of coverage or the same respect for Disney as a production studio.

I'm sure we would love to cover the DMC exclusives (in fact, we have covered several of them). Hopefully we will at some point. It just doesn't rank among our highest priorities, and hopefully this post has helped to explain why.
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod