Tron: Legacy

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

One thing, the world presented in this film is not the world of the original. Flynn built this one himself. Also, time moves differently in this world, Flynn has been in there for 1000 years. I think this was all in the graphic novel.

I thought that this was an interesting take on the film:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47947
pick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pick »

Brazilian cover art, courtesy of DisneyMania!

DVD Edition:

BLU-RAY Edition:
-------------------------------------------------------
"Just Make a Wish, and do as dreamers do...
and all your Wishes will come True..."
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

whoa, big pics!
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Maerj wrote:One thing, the world presented in this film is not the world of the original. Flynn built this one himself. Also, time moves differently in this world, Flynn has been in there for 1000 years. I think this was all in the graphic novel.

Holy mother of fuck!

I have a new appreciation.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Sometimes you have very interesting replies, lol.

The Tron movies could almost be looked at as prequels for Star Trek, in a way. The laser the digitizes people into the computer world is basically a transporter, which also has the ability to be a replicator. It can take the digital information and recreate it in the real world. So in theory, anything could come out of Tron's world and be in the real world.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

ajmrowland wrote:
Maerj wrote:One thing, the world presented in this film is not the world of the original. Flynn built this one himself. Also, time moves differently in this world, Flynn has been in there for 1000 years. I think this was all in the graphic novel.

Holy mother of fuck!

I have a new appreciation.
Me to! Very interesting to read.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

The Brazilian cover art looks fantastic, I can only hope the American artwork comes out that good. TheHDRoom.com revealed a mock-up for the original TRON on US Blu-ray yesterday, and it is NOT pretty.

Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Cheers,
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Disney is about to greenlight the second Tron sequel! But will Jeff Bridges be back?:

http://www.moviehole.net/201135663-tron ... ts-game-on
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Good to know we'll see another sequel! After three viewings, I still feel like they rushed the ending too much. I want to know if Flynn survived or not, dammit! :x

I have a feeling, should this third installment go ahead and get made, we'll see Jeff Bridges return in one capacity or another. *SPOILERS* My theory is, even if The Grid was obliterated and Flynn / CLU were destroyed with the reintegration, Sam still has a part of his father saved on that portable drive. That's what bugged me the most - no explanation what he was saving to that drive at the very end of the film. Was it his father's information? The remnants of the grid, or both? *end spoilers*

Cheers,
Cheers,
King Louis 2010
Limited Issue

Post by King Louis 2010 »

I wasn't too keen on Tron Legacy so the idea of a sequel isn't too exciting to me. I'd almost forgotten, I wrote a review of this on another site a while back, so I'll post it here too-

TRON LEGACY

Kevin Flynn is the CEO of Encom and the world's best video game developer. One night he simply vanishes without a trace and leaves his company in chaos and his young son. Fast-forward twenty years, Sam Flynn is a rebellious twenty seven year old and a thorn in the side of Richard Mackey, a suit trying to take over his father's company. Though Sam is the heir, he refuses to play an active role in the decision-making process. Alan Bradley meets him one night with the news that he has received a page from Kevin Flynn's arcade - a number that has been disconnected for twenty years. Sam ventures to the arcade and transports himself into the world his father has created and been trapped in for decades.

I was never really a fan of the original Tron. I didn't see it at the cinema, which would have been undoubtably the place to see it, and only saw it on video many years later. To be honest [and apologies to Mr Gillespie who I know is a fan!], I was not too impressed and just found it a little dull, while the effect were already dated. Still, I did my best to get excited for Tron:Legacy [even if the trailer didn't exactly wow me], because at the very least the effects would be pretty awesome, wouldn't they? Sad to say, I found Tron:Legacy to be a real damp squid of a movie, which has a pretty dreadful script and, surprisingly, mediocre graphics. Put the two things together in a film of this nature and you don't really have much at all except a fairly mediocre sci fi action movie which plays like a poor, more child friendly variation on a Matrix film without the invention and the intriguing concepts.

I knew I was in trouble from the first few minutues where Kevin tells the very young Sam about what happened to him during the events of the original Tron, supposedly a great way of doing a recap to people, like me, who don't remember the original too well or who haven't even seen it. However, the techno babble Jeff Bridges was delivering didn't really tell me much at all because I couldn't understand what the hell he was saying. Then we flash forward and Sam is a typical 'screw the system' kind of young man. We are supposed to be on his side as he pirates a load of material from Encom, yet I'm sure Disney would hate it if I found a copy of Tron:Legacy and copied it. I didn't really care about this terribly cliched character especially as played by the uncharismatic Garrett Hedlund. Still, I thought, once things get inside the video game the movie will catch fire. Well, I was totally wrong. Obviously the filmmakers wanted to stay partially true to the original film and just kind of upgrade things, but what one sees is nowhere near as stunning as we had been led to made out. I don't know what I expected, but it was certainly far more than the endless parade of uninventive graphics and run-of-the-mill design I got. Considering what one can do with computer effects nowadays, I was incredibly disappointed and not once was I blown away. Will it's endless blacks and blues with bits of orange, it all just looks like 8os stuff upgraded. Yes, I know that was probably the intention, but it results in a visually very repetetive film and I started to wish for something more interesting to look at.

The plot is basically very simple, but as with the opening it's disguised at times as something more complex. There's a scene about half way through where Kevin explains what has happened in his 'world' and we are shown flashback images, but it's almost incoherent even though the actual information given out is probably quite simple. The film is faster paced and more action packed than the first movie but most of what we see is rehashed stuff from it. The disc throwing fighting is reasonably well staged but the Light Cycle chase compares badly to scenes in Speed Racer and The Phantom Menace [yes, I said The Phantom Menace!]. Like much of the rest of the film, it looks like not much effort was made and at times it deteriorates into an incoherent mess with the obligatory flashy editing. Although I was unable to view the first Tron again prior to seeing the second, I was able to watch the Light Cycle sequence from it and I actually preferred it. It was just clearer and more fun in my opinion. The climactic aerial chase is pretty impressive though. As the crafts spin around trailing colour....something, I was quite riveted and it's the only scene in the film which approached what I thought it should have been like.

As said before, Hedlund is a dull lead and bizarrely doesn't seem that surprised when he end ups inside the video game. Bridges is as charismatic as ever but gives the same stoned performance as he usually does these days. The CG used to make him look young isn't really convincing. One of the biggest disappointments for me was Daft Punk's soundtrack, which apart from the odd track [there's a great one during a nightclub fight] is distinctly mediocre and often seems like a Hans Zimmer rip off. I expected them to really be inspired by the movie [especially as they partially took the look of their act from Tron], but they weren't. Actually maybe it's not that surprising at all considering how uninteresting much of the film is. Another big disappointment is the 3D. Tron:Legacy was supposedly shot in 3D, as opppsed to the 3D being added in post production, but then why the hell is everything still considerably darker than it should be? The process really isn't exploited much here, and I reckon that you could watch this in 2D and not notice much of a difference. There's not even much depth of field, and to all those who say it' s nice and subtle this way-3D is a gimmick [and one that hasn't even been perfected yet!], and, as with most gimmicks, it should be used to it's full capacity! I wasn't much impressed with Avatar, but at least that had a few terrific uses of 3D. With this movie, I don't know why they bothered. Much like the film in general really. It's never exactly terrible, it does just about pass mustre as a family action movie with a twist, but could and should have been so much better. I think there's great scope for a really imaginative, mind blowing film set inside a video game or a computer or whatever. This certainly isn't it.4/10
[/b]
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Very excited for a sequel! Yeah! If I get a chance, I'd like to go see Legacy in theaters once more.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

I'm not sure what others think, but here's what I think could be cool:

So, Sam is working closer with Encom, but is looking into how to bring back his father. He is working on the theory that deleted data is not truly deleted, it's just the access to the files that are. Not knowing if the same system is implemented with the Grid (or whatever it's called) he continues to look and finds what he believes is his father. He finds that he can not access him from outside the grid and has to go in once again. He readies himself and also writes few programs that can help him (?).

Then he goes in....... and that could be the start of a new movie.

Not sure where it goes from there, I haven't really though about properly.

PS: If Disney wanted to use this, feel free to. Not sure if the initial idea is any good.
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
AladdinFan
Special Edition

Post by AladdinFan »

Previously, it has been said that Disney is aiming to make a trilogy with "Tron Legacy" as the first film. They reportedly have even hired "Lost" writers/co-executive producers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz to pen the sequel, but it has not been made official yet.
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00037899.html
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

The Tron technology could really make a great medical device. Say someone is paralyzed. They could enter the world, then be updated in the world so that everything is functioning properly, then they could return to the real world and have full mobility. Flynn's idea of perfection in the real world could become a reality, in the Tron movies anyway.

That was my random thought of the day.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

AladdinFan wrote:
Previously, it has been said that Disney is aiming to make a trilogy with "Tron Legacy" as the first film. They reportedly have even hired "Lost" writers/co-executive producers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz to pen the sequel, but it has not been made official yet.
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00037899.html
Interesting. Since Legacy is already a sequel, they should call it a Quadrilogy.
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Harry says there is a teaser for the DVD/Bluray release for Tron 3, spoilers:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48194

Hooray! :D
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Tron: Legacy Blu-ray Announcement
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has officially announced TRON: Legacy and the original 1982 movie Tron for Blu-ray release on April 5. Legacy will be presented in several configurations: a 2-Disc BD/DVD Combo Pack; a 4-Disc BD 3D/BD 2D/DVD/Digital Copy Combo Pack; a 5-Disc 2-Movie Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray 2D + DVD + Digital Copy of TRON: Legacy + Blu-ray of TRON: The Original Classic Special Edition) and a Limited Edition Ultimate TRON Experience in collectible Identity Disc packaging.

Special features include:

Visualizing TRON
Installing the Cast
First Look at TRON: Uprising – the Disney XD animated series
The Next Day: Flynn Lives Revealed (BD-exclusive)
Disney Second Screen (BD-exclusive): this feature transforms the movie watching experience by allowing viewers to explore the story behind the film perfectly synched on a second device, like an iPad or laptop, without interrupting their enjoyment of the movie. By simply accessing the Disney Second Screen companion application on their Internet-connected device, consumers are able to dive deeper into the film by engaging with elements including 360-degree vehicle turnarounds, interactive progression reels, and more. Disney Second Screen directions and access codes can be found inside the Blu-ray Disc packaging. Audio synching is powered by TVPLUS.
Launching The Legacy (BD-exclusive)
Disc Roars (BD-exclusive)
Music video: Daft Punk, "Derezzed" (BD-exclusive)
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

[urlhttp://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5876]Tron: Legacy Blu-ray Announcement[/url]
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment has officially announced TRON: Legacy and the original 1982 movie Tron for Blu-ray release on April 5. Legacy will be presented in several configurations: a 2-Disc BD/DVD Combo Pack; a 4-Disc BD 3D/BD 2D/DVD/Digital Copy Combo Pack; a 5-Disc 2-Movie Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray 2D + DVD + Digital Copy of TRON: Legacy + Blu-ray of TRON: The Original Classic Special Edition) and a Limited Edition Ultimate TRON Experience in collectible Identity Disc packaging.

Special features include:

Visualizing TRON
Installing the Cast
First Look at TRON: Uprising – the Disney XD animated series
The Next Day: Flynn Lives Revealed (BD-exclusive)
Disney Second Screen (BD-exclusive): this feature transforms the movie watching experience by allowing viewers to explore the story behind the film perfectly synched on a second device, like an iPad or laptop, without interrupting their enjoyment of the movie. By simply accessing the Disney Second Screen companion application on their Internet-connected device, consumers are able to dive deeper into the film by engaging with elements including 360-degree vehicle turnarounds, interactive progression reels, and more. Disney Second Screen directions and access codes can be found inside the Blu-ray Disc packaging. Audio synching is powered by TVPLUS.
Launching The Legacy (BD-exclusive)
Disc Roars (BD-exclusive)
Music video: Daft Punk, "Derezzed" (BD-exclusive)
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Mouseketodd
Gold Classic Collection

Tron: Legacy and Tron Blu-Ray and DVD

Post by Mouseketodd »

I want the Blu-Rays of both Tron movies, but I also want DVDs of them!

I don't now why a DVD of the original Tron isn't part of the giant combo packages....
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Tron: Legacy and Tron Blu-Ray and DVD

Post by monorail91 »

Mouseketodd wrote:I want the Blu-Rays of both Tron movies, but I also want DVDs of them!

I don't now why a DVD of the original Tron isn't part of the giant combo packages....
I agree, but at least it is getting the special edition treatment on its own. Will be a worthwhile purchase still.