Cinderella: Diamond Edition - ETA 2012

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Cinderella: Diamond Edition - ETA 2012

Post by yamiiguy »

Just decided to create a placeholder thread when I saw this on HMV. I'm not usually one for rumors but could Disney be bringing this forward to tie in with the Royal Wedding? I doubt it but it does seem oddly convenient.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I don't think so. HMV have had blu ray listings for Tarzan and Aladdin before so I'm never sure what to believe when it comes to what they list as "coming soon" on their website.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

DisneyAnimation88 wrote:I don't think so. HMV have had blu ray listings for Tarzan and Aladdin before so I'm never sure what to believe when it comes to what they list as "coming soon" on their website.
Obviously, it has listings for all of them up to 2013 or 2014 but the "Royal Edition" subtitles was just newly added.
Big One
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Big One »

I'll reserve my money for Cinderella Trilogy: Platinum Perfect Diamond Disney Princess © Electric Boogaloo Edition 3D Bluray, thank you very much. You won't steal money out of my wallet again, Disney!

Haha...

Last edited by Big One on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I'll wait to see if anything is announced officially, there's nothing about a royal edition on any other website.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

I don't know about a "Royal Edition," but unless Disney switches up the Platinum release schedule, Lady and the Tramp and Cinderella are the two Diamond Editions we should be getting in 2012.

So far they've been following along the same release order as the Platinum line-up, but this is Disney afterall, so they could completely surprise us.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I'm don't believe it will come out before 2012, just made an interesting observation.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Re: Cinderella: Diamond Edition - ETA 2012

Post by Wonderlicious »

yamiiguy wrote:Just decided to create a placeholder thread when I saw this on HMV. I'm not usually one for rumors but could Disney be bringing this forward to tie in with the Royal Wedding? I doubt it but it does seem oddly convenient.
I doubt that Disney would quickly release Cinderella so suddenly royal wedding or none. It seems a bit desperate for them to prepare a cash-in release for one of its absolute crown jewels, on par in terms of sacredness with The Lion King and Snow White. Also, the wedding itself is around two months away, so there's very little time to prepare a new release that would have to be out within around six weeks. Even so, there are several available titles concerning royalty that Disney could push if they so wished: Beauty and the Beast, The Princess and the Frog, The Princess Diaries, Enchanted and Tangled, to name a few.

I think an October 2012 release is most likely; it would fit into the seven year time frame perfectly (as opposed to Bambi or Lady and the Tramp, cough cough). As with Bambi, all I feel is really needed for this release are the old materials (well, the non-fluff ones) plus a few new ones to compliment them. The Platinum was actually reasonably good, with a good deal of archive materials normally unseen outside of a few releases. The only problems were that a ESPN tie-in featurette was included (then again, Eisner-era Disney was at a real low at this point), and that there was no commentary or equivalent, so hopefully we'll get that this time.
Last edited by Wonderlicious on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I think Disney Duster will have a heart attack when he sees this 'Royal Edition', even if it is a place holder !! :lol:

But the Disney Store confirmed that the release schedule is pretty much the Platinum one, with Cinders coming next year, as previously thought.

So goodness knows where this one has come from .....
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:But the Disney Store confirmed that the release schedule is pretty much the Platinum one, with Cinders coming next year, as previously thought.

So goodness knows where this one has come from .....
I think it is just a place holder for the eventual Diamond Edition. Perhaps some unknowledgeable fellow assumed Snow White was called a Diamond Edition because of the dwarfs' mine, and that every Disney release equivalent to the Platinums was going to have ridiculous, luxurious-sounding names associated with the respective film. Hmm, perhaps we could come up with silly Blu-Ray titles... :lol:
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Wonderlicious wrote:Perhaps some unknowledgeable fellow assumed Snow White was called a Diamond Edition because of the dwarfs' mine, and that every Disney release equivalent to the Platinums was going to have ridiculous, luxurious-sounding names associated with the respective film. Hmm, perhaps we could come up with silly Blu-Ray titles... :lol:
You mean like Lady and the Tramp: The Spaghetti and Meatballs Edition? lol :lol:
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Patrick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Patrick »

MJW wrote:
Wonderlicious wrote:Perhaps some unknowledgeable fellow assumed Snow White was called a Diamond Edition because of the dwarfs' mine, and that every Disney release equivalent to the Platinums was going to have ridiculous, luxurious-sounding names associated with the respective film. Hmm, perhaps we could come up with silly Blu-Ray titles... :lol:
You mean like Lady and the Tramp: The Spaghetti and Meatballs Edition? lol :lol:
Or something stupid like Alice in Wonderland: Un-Anniversary Editi- oh wait...
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I thought I had been through to much to get excited about anything Disney anymore...then I saw this and my heart leapt! Ah, Disney and my favorite movie, eternal joys.

I hope this doesn't happen. It better not get rushed. I still haven't pointed out all the big flaws in its last restoration, though it's probably too late anyhow.

The old Platinum was a so-so mixed bag. This new edition needs all the old good, non-fluff features like Wondy said, a new commentary like he also said, but also a documentary that covers what the old DVD one and the old Deluxe VHS "Making of a Masterpiece" one did, and a pencil test/pencil animation of Cinderella's transformation! Also, some new features that we all know they have because they never give us everything they find in the archives and they're always finding new stuff.

Has the best Diamond Edition so far been Beauty and the Beast? Something like Sleeping Beauty's Platinum would be great, too.
Big One
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Big One »

Disney Duster wrote:I hope this doesn't happen. It better not get rushed. I still haven't pointed out all the big flaws in its last restoration, though it's probably too late anyhow.
Yeah I'm sure it's going to suck.

In it's beautiful, crisp HD picture.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be 2013 to keep up with the 8 year thing.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Big One wrote:Yeah I'm sure it's going to suck.

In it's beautiful, crisp HD picture.
No, they're flaws like painting over things and wrong colors. For now, you may not believe me, but that's why I said I would point out the flaws, eventually.

Oh, to have a true difinitive version of anything, you also need like storyboards of almost all scenes, and lots of work that's close to the final work for all scenes.

Still asking whate everyone thinks is the best Diamond Edition, or actually, the best Disney Home Video release.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Wonderlicious wrote:I doubt that Disney would quickly release Cinderella so suddenly royal wedding or none. It seems a bit desperate for them to prepare a cash-in release for one of its absolute crown jewels, on par in terms of sacredness with The Lion King and Snow White.

Just like they would never Cash In on the Beijing Olympics with a 2 movie collection of Mulan....oh wait.... :brick:
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
Wonderlicious wrote:I doubt that Disney would quickly release Cinderella so suddenly royal wedding or none. It seems a bit desperate for them to prepare a cash-in release for one of its absolute crown jewels, on par in terms of sacredness with The Lion King and Snow White.
Just like they would never Cash In on the Beijing Olympics with a 2 movie collection of Mulan....oh wait.... :brick:
You didn't notice the meaning of the words I just bolded. :wink:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

disneyboy20022 wrote: Just like they would never Cash In on the Beijing Olympics with a 2 movie collection of Mulan....oh wait.... :brick:

LOL are you serious that was the reason?
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

atlanticaunderthesea said in this thread a few weeks ago that he has a friend who works in the Disney Store and already had the release schedule. It said Lady and the Tramp is the Spring 2012 Diamond and that Cinderella is the Winter 2012 Diamond.

Anyway, I can't say I'm surprised or excited. And I doubt this release is meant to tie in to William & Kate's wedding since that date is two and a half months away (April 29 according to a quick Google search of "William Kate Wedding Date").

I hope they don't screw up the colors, simply so that there won't be online complaints focusing on that rather than the strengths of the rest of the disc. The world will be ending shortly after Cinderella comes out, and I'd rather those days be spent enjoying the film again instead of reading about how it doesn't look like a laserdisc. ;)

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?