Studio Ghibli Blu-Ray

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

Scamander wrote:Here is the cover of the German Nausicaä digipack.
forgot something with that post :wink:
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

DancingCrab wrote:
Scamander wrote:Here is the cover of the German Nausicaä digipack.
forgot something with that post :wink:
Try clicking on "here" in Scamander's post. ;)
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

MJW wrote:Did Disney offer a coupon when Ponyo was first released in the US? I thought I read somewhere that there was a coupon. Unfortunately, I've stumbled upon the Studio Ghibli titles a little late in the game, so I missed out on a coupon for Ponyo (if there was one), but I'm wondering if we'll get a coupon for Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind?

For anyone that bought Ponyo on Blu-ray with a coupon, what did you pay for it total? The Blu-ray/DVD is currently going for $25.99 on Amazon and I could probably get it for less than $20 on eBay, but nothing beats those first week prices. :(
Ponyo did in fact have a coupon. I believe it was $10 off too. However, for Ponyo I don't remember the first week prices being as low as Alice, Beauty and the Beast, or the majority of other Blus Disney puts out. I got mine at Target for a little over 17 bucks after I used the coupon (I think it was 26.99 at Target?). Still, not bad at all. Who knows if that price will have anything to do with the price Nausicaa will have during release week.
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

enigmawing wrote:
DancingCrab wrote: forgot something with that post :wink:
Try clicking on "here" in Scamander's post. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Touche
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Heartless wrote:I got mine at Target for a little over 17 bucks after I used the coupon (I think it was 26.99 at Target?). Still, not bad at all.
Thanks for providing that information! I figured it probably hadn't been as cheap as the recent DAC releases, but I just wanted to double check. I'll probably get getting my own copy of Ponyo soon, I'm just doing a bit of shopping around to get the best price! :D
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Wish Mononoke would get a nice edition.
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

yamiiguy wrote:I'd get the Japanese Ghibli blu-rays but they're so darn expensive!
I don't get why there is never any creativity when it comes to packaging in the US. Would there be no boost in sales if they were to sell something pretty like this?:
Haddad28
Limited Issue

Post by Haddad28 »

Both Laputa: Castle in the Sky and My Neighbours the Yamadas will be coming on Blu-ray in Australia on the 20th of April!

Bonus features for My Neighbour the Yamadas include
- Original Japanese trailers
- TV spots
- NTV Special program: Super TV; 15 Months Exclusive Coverage; Secrets of MY NEIGHBORS THE YAMADAS
- Storyboards
- Behind the microphone

Bonus Features for Laputa
- Textless opening and ending credits
- Storyboards (picture in picture)
- Original Japanese trailers and TV spots
- Promotional video
- The World of Laputa; Creating Castle in the Sky; Character Sketches; The Producer's Perspective
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Haddad28 wrote:Both Laputa: Castle in the Sky and My Neighbours the Yamadas will be coming on Blu-ray in Australia on the 20th of April!
That's cool, thanks for sharing the details! I like the covers for both. I think the US is usually last to get these releases as they come out on Blu-ray, but maybe we'll see these both over here by the end of the year. At least, I hope so!
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

magicalwands wrote:
yamiiguy wrote:I'd get the Japanese Ghibli blu-rays but they're so darn expensive!
I don't get why there is never any creativity when it comes to packaging in the US. Would there be no boost in sales if they were to sell something pretty like this?:
It's expensive and America's one massive corporation who thinks most people wouldnt get into this cuz it's japanese.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

MJW wrote:
Haddad28 wrote:Both Laputa: Castle in the Sky and My Neighbours the Yamadas will be coming on Blu-ray in Australia on the 20th of April!
That's cool, thanks for sharing the details! I like the covers for both. I think the US is usually last to get these releases as they come out on Blu-ray, but maybe we'll see these both over here by the end of the year. At least, I hope so!
I can see Castle being over here soon, but that's because it's already been released on DVD in the current line.

If Yamadas comes out, it'll at least be next year by now.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I wonder why Optimum hasn't announced Laputa and Yamadas yet. It was quite quick of the mark with Nausicaa.
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Since the british and Australian discs of Ponyo and Nausicaä were identical, I bet madman and optimum will produce the discs again together. An announcement for the UK should follow soon.^^
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Does anyone recall seeing Ponyo on sale at any time since the initial release week? I know these Studio Ghibli titles are a little more obscure than your general Disney release, so I am not sure if they ever go on sale.

I checked the price tracker at Blu-ray.com and it shows that Ponyo had dropped to as low as $19.99 on Amazon at one point since being released, although it's $25.99 currently. :(
Heartless
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Heartless »

MJW wrote:Does anyone recall seeing Ponyo on sale at any time since the initial release week? I know these Studio Ghibli titles are a little more obscure than your general Disney release, so I am not sure if they ever go on sale.

I checked the price tracker at Blu-ray.com and it shows that Ponyo had dropped to as low as $19.99 on Amazon at one point since being released, although it's $25.99 currently. :(
Release week I got Ponyo for either $25.99 or $26.99 (I can't remember which) at Target, and with the coupon it was around 17 bucks.

I don't remember there being very many sales for Ponyo during release week like the regular Disney titles, unfortunately. It may be different for Nausicaa, tho.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

Laputa and Yamadas are out in the UK on Monday. Whisper of the Heart has been announced for a release in Japan on 20th July.

ImageImage

UK releases with links to reviews

Whisper of the Heart (JP) cover
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

yamiiguy wrote:Laputa and Yamadas are out in the UK on Monday. Whisper of the Heart has been announced for a release in Japan on 20th July.
Lucky, lucky, lucky! :) I think after next Monday, the entire world will have these on Blu-ray, except North America. :(

I'm hoping we get these 2 releases over the summer, but it probably will take much longer than that, unfortunately. Studio Ghibli's latest film, The Borrow Arrietty, doesn't premiere in the US until February 2012, so I am wondering if Disney will hold on to these 2 and release them alongside Arrietty's theatrical release (although I hope we don't have to wait that long). Then, maybe if we're lucky, we'll get Whisper of the Heart by 2013 and Arrietty on Blu-ray by 2014... :lol:
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

You're unlucky to be in Region A, the Japanese wouldn't like reverse importing, they would rather have their citizens buy the ridiculously expensive Japanese releases. That's my theory of why it takes longer to get released in NA. In the meantime, you too can buy the ridiculously expensive beautiful Japanese releases. :lol: You can also buy the Hong Kong releases which are released after the UK and before the US (Laputa/Yamadas haven't been announced yet). They have the same beautiful covers...
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Yeah, I've thought about importing, and not just the titles that we don't have yet in the US. The Japanese packaging looks so beautiful that I wouldn't mind having both the original Japanese and US releases in my collection. I just can't get past spending approx. $85 for each, though! :( Maybe some day...
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I'd make a custom cover but for some reason it doesn't seem right putting a custom cover on, I just can't do it :lol: