King of the Elves

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Admittedly, I haven’t read the original story, but the Jack/Reboot Ralph and Mort ideas sound more interesting to me.
Not to venture off-topic, but what is the "Jack" idea? I know about Reboot Ralph and Mort but I don't think I'd heard about Jack yet!
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

Shadrach Jones is an old man who owns and runs a gas station in the fictional town of Derryville, Colorado, along an old highway fallen into disrepair due to it having been replaced by a modern interstate highway. One night he counts the money he made that day and realizes that although his income is meager, it is enough to sustain a humble lifestyle that suits him.
Hello Cars :lol:
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

MJW wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:Admittedly, I haven’t read the original story, but the Jack/Reboot Ralph and Mort ideas sound more interesting to me.
Not to venture off-topic, but what is the "Jack" idea? I know about Reboot Ralph and Mort but I don't think I'd heard about Jack yet!
I slashed those two because Reboot Ralph had a different title way back, Jumpin' Jack or something. I couldn't remember, but I know it was J-something Jack.

Although didn't they consider Jack and the Beanstalk for a while? But it got axed because, I think, another studio is doing a version of the story.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
mariadny
Gold Classic Collection

Post by mariadny »

Not Elves and not Ralph........I want Mort, really ineteresting idea.
And Snow Queen, please.
VISITTTTT, SPANISH DISNEY FORUM
http://animacionud.mforos.com/
Scamander
Special Edition

Post by Scamander »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
MJW wrote: Not to venture off-topic, but what is the "Jack" idea? I know about Reboot Ralph and Mort but I don't think I'd heard about Jack yet!
I slashed those two because Reboot Ralph had a different title way back, Jumpin' Jack or something. I couldn't remember, but I know it was J-something Jack.
The first title for the project was Joe Jump.^^
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

I've loved the idea of King of the Elves since it was first announced to I hope that it is put into full production and made. The story and characters offer Disney the chance to do something unlike any animated film they've done before. Isn't the Snow Queen now back in some kind of script development or is it still cancelled?
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Scamander wrote: The first title for the project was Joe Jump.^^
Oh, yeah. Why was I thinking of Jumpin' Jack Flash? :?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

There is a lot of talk going on about what comes after "Reboot Ralph" next year. Specifically, a good deal of talk about Chris Williams' "King of the Elves." I've received several e-mails asking me about the status of this project. A few have asked if it has been canceled.

I can say that as of a couple weeks ago, the project was right on schedule. So if it's been put into turnaround, then it has happened in the last week or so. I personally doubt it. From those Bothans that I've talked to, the project was moving steadily forward and was having no more story problems than any other project of its type. It has been doing so well in fact, that it was/is being considered for the Christmas holiday release for 2013.

Now, all that could change if Lasseter and Catmull find that story problems will make it impossible to have ready for that release date. As far as I know all is moving forward and Chris Williams' next effort should/could be out a year and a half after Ralph winds up rebooting.
Source: http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2011/ ... elves.html
“King of the Elves” is rearing its head again at Walt Disney Animation Studios, with “Horrible Bosses” scribe Michael Markowitz tapped to pen the latest script for the toon. Project is an adaptation of a Philip K. Dick short story about a band of elves and one dwarf living in the Mississippi Delta who tap a human as their king after he saves them from an evil troll. Chris Williams, co-director and writer of “Bolt,” is shepherding the project.

The Mouse House originally wanted to produce the pic for a 2012 release, under the helm of Aaron Blaise and Robert Walker (both behind “Brother Bear”), but the project was put back into development to flesh out the story further shortly after Pixar’s John Lasseter took the reins of Disney’s toon division as chief creative officer in 2006.

With “Wreck-It-Ralph” now on Disney’s slate for Nov. 2, 2012, “King of the Elves” is being eyed for a holiday 2013 bow, after “Monsters University” aims to scare up box office that summer. Lasseter is producing the pic with Chuck Williams.
Source: http://variety.com/2011/film/news/disne ... 118039315/
Steve Hulett wrote:I've been hiking through the Hat Building for years, and I recall KOTE being in work more often than not. Board people working on it, designers noodling with it, etc. Elves has been in and out of the lineup so many times that I lose track. But glad to see that another pass is being made, although something tells me this is sort of old news.

I received an e-mail Thursday from a Disney staffer assigned to Elves. He said that he'd been working on the show for some time with Chris Williams, and he was surprised how wrong Variety's story was. They were acting as if something was new, and little was new.
Source: http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... going.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Oh good!!! This is a project I'm actually pretty excited about! :)
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sotiris wrote:
There is a lot of talk going on about what comes after "Reboot Ralph" next year...

Specifically, a good deal of talk about Chris Williams' "King of the Elves." I've received several e-mails asking me about the status of this project. A few have asked if it has been canceled.

I can say that as of a couple weeks ago, the project was right on schedule. So if it's been put into turnaround, then it has happened in the last week or so. I personally doubt it. From those Bothans that I've talked to, the project was moving steadily forward and was having no more story problems than any other project of its type. It has been doing so well in fact, that it was/is being considered for the Christmas holiday release for 2013.
Yay! That's awesome! When I read, "A few have asked if it has cancelled....", I was like, "You're joking, right???" Then, I read the rest of the article. So great that it's on the works. It's an handdrawn movie, right?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Yay! That's awesome! When I read, "A few have asked if it has cancelled....", I was like, "You're joking, right???" Then, I read the rest of the article. So great that it's on the works. It's an handdrawn movie, right?
From what I remember, no... it's going to be CG.
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

King of the Elves for 2013 release?

Post by Loomis »

Variety reports that Disney’s adaptation of Philip K. Dick’s short story King of the Elves is back on the cards with Horrible Bosses screenwriter Michael Markowitz set to take on writing duties.

http://www.thereelbits.com/2011/06/30/d ... the-elves/

Chris Williams, the co-director of Bolt, is now attached to the project, once in the hands of Aaron Blaise and Robert Walker, who both co-directed 2003′s Brother Bear.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Welcome back, Loomis! :wink:

There is already a thread dedicated to the King of the Elves:

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=120

Please, continue the discussion there. :)
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Moving this over here...

Variety reports that Disney’s adaptation of Philip K. Dick’s short story King of the Elves is back on the cards with Horrible Bosses screenwriter Michael Markowitz set to take on writing duties.

Chris Williams, the co-director of Bolt, is now attached to the project, once in the hands of Aaron Blaise and Robert Walker, who both co-directed 2003′s Brother Bear.
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

Thanks, Sotiris! Did a quick search, and must've missed it.
Moved it over, feel free to close this thread off.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Loomis wrote:Moving this over here...

Welcome Back Loomis...I'm sure albert/Escapay will be delighted your back...with the future of this site possibly ending before the end of the year...

Anyway...isn't King of the Elves going to be a Pixar movie? or Maybe I'm confusing it with Newt... :?
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Loomis
Signature Collection

Post by Loomis »

disneyboy20022 wrote:Anyway...isn't King of the Elves going to be a Pixar movie? or Maybe I'm confusing it with Newt... :?
Yes, 'Newt' was Pixar, but that isn't back on (or possible off) the shelf yet.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

So, since this is following up Wreck-It Ralph, will it be hand-drawn? Will certain animators be expecting a call any day now? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

estefan wrote:So, since this is following up Wreck-It Ralph, will it be hand-drawn? Will certain animators be expecting a call any day now? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?
It has been confirmed that the revived King of the Elves will remain CGI by Steve Hulett of the TAG blog who is the animation union rep and visits the studio regularly.

Apparently, WDAS is not planning on going ahead with their initial "plan" on having "one hand-drawn film every two years" after the disappointing box office results of The Princess and the Fog as there are currently no hand-drawn features in development.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

hell yeah Loomis the Hong Kong man is back!
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif