What Complete Season Set Did You Just Watch?

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Finished watching Highlander-The TV Series Volumes 1-6 for about the fifth time. My favorite television series, and I can watch it any time I feel that television is going in the toilet with shows like "Glee" and "Vampire Diaries". This series puts all of those to shame with real stories and great photography and no one breaks out into song just for the heck of it.

By the way I do own "Cop Rock" for those of you who remember true garbage. What a bad show, but whenever I get really down on "Glee" or shows of that ilk, I put on an episode of "Cop Rock" and everything seems so much better.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Naturally, with an absurdly unbelievable actor playing the lead gay role and a confirmed heterosexual doing half the producing / idea brainstorming, Will & Grace was born to be an awkward piece of mainstream entertainment. It's just friendly and unoffensive enough to be acceptible to mass audiences, but no, it's not gay enough. But, the other half of the creative team behind this does come through on occasion with very inspired, clever jokes, the rest of the main / supporting cast is wonderful (especially Gary Grubbs as Will's regular client Harlan, Messing, Hayes, and once she finds the right voice- Mullally, who is perhaps the only tolerable thing about the 2nd part to the pretty crappy "Big Brother is Coming" episode), and the character humor becomes less interested in classy stereotypes. Some shows just take awhile to get a hang on what they're doing. W&G's first season wavers considerably but seems to find a balance around the last 5 or so episodes.

dvdjunkie wrote:Finished watching Highlander-The TV Series Volumes 1-6 for about the fifth time.
Ah, yes... I remember those commercials (and the show might have bounced between USA and Fox). Never watched it. Wasn't there also an animated version? Another classic Anchor Bay acquiring for DVD, along with other USA fare such as Renegade and Silk Stalkings. Sometimes when I feel nostalgia for that time, I think about actually renting a disc from Netflix. Too bad my Queue moves slower than molases.

dvdjunkie wrote:My favorite television series, and I can watch it any time I feel that television is going in the toilet with shows like "Glee" and "Vampire Diaries". This series puts all of those to shame with real stories and great photography and no one breaks out into song just for the heck of it.

By the way I do own "Cop Rock" for those of you who remember true garbage. What a bad show, but whenever I get really down on "Glee" or shows of that ilk, I put on an episode of "Cop Rock" and everything seems so much better.
Love the Glee bashing. But, well over 98% of all television has always been trash. It's just about appealing to the folk who want to see it.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Just finished off Smallville's 3rd season. Seriously, this one is some of TV's finest hours. For anyone wondering why Lex Luthor becomes Lex Luthor, just give a peak at Memoria. A rollercoaster episode of emotions that ulimately rips your heart out. I truly feel Smallville only reaches this quality of story in season 5, the rest is sub-par compared to this.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I finished up Nip/Tuck Season Two last night and started Season Three. However, I only picked up the first DVD of the set from the library, so I'm going to have to go back Monday to get the rest of the set. It's certainly a good and interesting show.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I finished the fourth season of Melrose Place last night, and I have to say that it was definitely the most intense season so far. So many character deaths, characters in peril, lobotomies (no, seriously), etc.

I need Season Five.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Finished off Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives Season Four about an hour ago. Guy Fieri is my idol. I wish I could go around the country visiting the restaurants and getting paid for it. He has been in Wichita twice, and is coming back again early next year. We have a new Diner called "Froggar's BarBQue" and it is really good, but they have never been able to be open all day any day since they have opened because they keep running out of food.

Guess when it's good it's good, they have posted hours of 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., but rarely are they open past three or four o'clock. If you are going there for a quick lunch, you will wait in line. I have been lucky enough to eat their about a dozen times since they opened, and the portions are huge, the prices are relatively low, and the food is exceptionally good.

"Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" is one of my favorite shows on the Food Network, and this Sunday, January 2, the "Worst Cooks in America" series is back for another season. I can't believe how many shows I regularly watch on Food Network.

:D
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Mad Men - Seasons 1-4

Excellent series. Season 1-3 are masterful examples of television drama and reach the quality of The Sopranos while season 4 just wasn't as good. I recommend this series to anyone who hasn't seen it already and appreciates quality television.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Desperate Housewives ~ The Complete Sixth Season

I got this on the 30th for my birthday (it's a tradition to always get the latest DH season for me). I'm kind of disappointed they broke the tradition of thick box sets with the invisible slide-ons, but I don't mind the new way either. I just wish I could've had all the seasons the same. Ah well.

Anyway, it's not the best season it's had, especially a corny stripper storyline (horribly done by Julie Benz) that incidentally caused a dent in average DH viewers (it had been making 15.0 million viewers, but ever since this storyline, the highest they can get is 12.0). This might also be why this season was the first and only time they didn't have a 2 hour season finale--and it was the first time I felt they needed that extra hour. It also seemed a little bit of a lapse to have 3 psychos on the lane at the same time. But it's better than some make it out to be, the same way I felt about season 2 (which everyone complained about). I think part of the reason it was hurt was because it was randomly aired, with weeks/months between episodes in the second half. When watched altogether, it feels much more balanced.

Still, even at its worst, it's a great and especially well-acted series. I think it helps that the show is fairly self-deprecating--it realizes it's not as great as it used to be, and it ends up more humorous for it. I also like the color they've added since season 5. I know I had read Marc Cherry say the show could sometimes look washed out, which I notice whenever I go back to older seasons, but that's changed the past few years. Season 5 had a yellow-ish vibe to it, a color I didn't really like myself, but the purple-ish sheen this season has is great to look at. (The red in season 7 is also working pretty good for me).

John Barrowman is another actor I'm extremely glad they managed to have on the show at some point. He managed to add something to a character that would otherwise feel been-there-done-that. On the other side of things, they really failed to take advantage of Dana Delaney since season 4. They give her more to do this season (whereas in season 5, she was nothing but background noise), but it's a disappointment that they didn't include her more, especially with Bree. You would think with the absence of Nicolette Sheridan, they'd have the space for her now.

The bonus features were decent. They're not something you normally expect for TV sets, so I'm glad for anything they decide to give. Longoria v. Miss Piggy was hilarious. :P

Overall, I'd probably rate the season with a 6/10. It wasn't at its height, but it still entertains.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Just finished watching Seinfeld: Season 8 and am now moving onto Survivor: Borneo - The Complete First Season. Both were Christmas presents! :)
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I'm in the midst of Leave It To Beaver Season One (1957-1958)
Can you believe season one has 39 episodes??
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Not available on DVD (yet!!) but I have the only complete season of The Green Hornet television show. All 26 episodes in prestine condition recorded to DVD from Encore Action channel a few years ago. Unlike the recent SyFy Channel presentation of the episodes, these are unedited and commercial free and have all the original music. Van Williams was Brett Reid and Bruce Lee was his sidekick Kato. Lots of cheesy fun from the 60's, done by the same producers as the "Batman" television series.
Last edited by dvdjunkie on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

dvdjunkie wrote:Not available on DVD (yet!!) but I have the only complete season of The Green Hornet television show. All 18 episodes in prestine condition recorded to DVD from Encore Action channel a few years ago. Unlike the recent SyFy Channel presentation of the episodes, these are unedited and commercial free and have all the original music. Van Williams was Brett Reid and Bruce Lee was his sidekick Kato. Lots of cheesy fun from the 60's, done by the same producers as the "Batman" television series.
Hmm, I show 26 episodes!

I may watch that soon.

I just finished Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 7 (and the end of the series.)
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

LittleFuzzy: I corrected it, there are 26 episodes, I didn't look on the backside of one of my inserts. There are 26 total episodes beginning with "The Silent Gun". The stars Van Williams and Bruce Lee also did two "Batman" cross-over episodes, so that total could read 28 episodes. Wish the television series of "Batman" would come available on DVD in season sets. I loved that cheesy show!!!
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Just finished watching the third season set of Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List. I got season 3 for Christmas and bought season 4 when it went on sale at Target. At first I wondered if I really needed this entire series on DVD, but after laughing out loud to most of the season 3 episodes, I think I will continue getting them.

I haven't watched season 4 yet, but will soon, and then I just have to wait for seasons 5 and 6 on DVD. I believe Kathy said she was done with the show as of season 6, so that will probably be it.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Just finished 24 - The Final Season. Gonna really miss this show. Really was a fan, and never missed an episode. It will be fun to go back to the beginning and watch this from day 1 to day 8 without commercial interruption.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Just completed Whispering Smith - The Complete Series starring Audie Murphy and Guy Mitchell. This was a western series on NBC back in the early 60's and was only on the air for 20 episodes. This collection has five un-aired episodes in the set. Bonus features include a story about Audie Murphy, WWII's most decorated soldier.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Starting on Friday (I believe), I have watched Series One and Two of Skins via YouTube. It's kind of addicting and is much better than the first two episodes of the U.S. version (which, I do admit, I watched). I am now on episode 7 of the third series. I still miss all of the original characters/actors from the first and second series, but I'm quite glad that they kept Effy and Pandora for the third and fourth series. Hopefully, I can watch the rest of Series Three by the end of the weekend and start on Series Four next weekend.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

My season viewing have spread out here/there...so I'll start with the most recent one.

Batman the animated series Season 1-2, just started Season 3-4.

durning the holidays I watched Zorro Season 1-2, it never gets old when I watch this classic show. Maybe one day Disney will produce a TCM type channel for the classic Disney shows.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

I think I already posted that I finished up Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 7 )(the final season), I also just finished Team Knight Rider, although not on DVD. I watched it on Hulu, I was trying to finish it before it expired on 2-01-11.

I think it kind of stinks that they have expiration dates like that for online content. Something like that could drive a (hypothetical) person to start looking for torrents, for old TV shows that aren't available on DVD.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I finished up Series 3 of Skins last weekend and finished Series 4 this morning. It's definitely a great show. I also found the first episode of Series 5 and I have to say I rather enjoyed the episode. I love the character of Franky, even though I always think Lyra whenever I see Dakota Blue Richards. Hopefully I'll be able to find the rest of Series 5 just after each episode airs on E4 (Fridays nights I believe).