Disney Blu Ray : Diamond Edition, current and future plan

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
schoollover
Gold Classic Collection

Post by schoollover »

I think that Lady and the Tramp and Cinderella will come out in 2012 and am I the only person who's suprised about LATT selling 6 million dvds and TFATH selling 2 million.
Walt Disney always belived in quality, bring the quality back.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

What they should do just to respect their animation is restore and release the Anthology features as a set of 6.

Now they aren't the shortest of DACs actually with a lot of the post-anthology Walt features matching their running times and the odd Pooh and Fantasia 2000 and a scatter of others but since they aren't technically movies that's what they should do to get collectors to buy them since I don't really think parents would like buying kids just shorts that add up to the same running time.

Possibly Ichabod & Mr Toad could be released separately though it's not a feature length film either.

I would buy a set if they all came together (all of them are in order as well anyway) and the price for each was not equivalent to what they charge for say Bambi or whatever.

That's probably the only way to sell them.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

BK wrote:What they should do just to respect their animation is restore and release the Anthology features as a set of 6.
Are the "Anthology" films the "package" films? If so, I agree that releasing them in sets or in one big set of 6 would be a good idea, because that is probably the only way we'd get them on Blu-ray anyway. If they wouldn't release all 6 together, I could see 3 releases of "2 Movie Collections":

"Classic Caballeros" 2 Movie Collection: Same thing as the DVD release pairing Saludos Amigos and The Three Caballeros, except obviously restored to be ready for Blu-ray and possibly with better bonus features.

"Musical Medley" 2 Movie Collection: Pair Make Mine Music and Melody Time as these are package films composed of short segments set to music.

"Storybook Favorites?" 2 Movie Collection: Pair Fun and Fancy Free with The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad as they are essentially both features comprised of two "mini movies" each, rather than a bunch of small segments like Make Mine Music/Melody Time. You'd have Bongo, Mickey and the Beanstalk, The Wind in the Willows, and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in one set, but presented in their original form with the in between segments, not just a set of these 4 mini movies accessible by the menu or something. I don't really like the title "Storybook Favorites," but I couldn't think of anything better at the moment! :lol:
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

I've never seen 5 of them so didn't know that Fun and Fancy Free was like Ichabod and Mr Toad.

Here's some food for thought though, Anastasia, the one from Don Bluth is going to be out on Blu-Ray in Germany in April! Now, you may not care, I personally adore the film, but the key thing to realize is that if Anastasia is getting a Blu-Ray release, surely Disney can't keep the Renaissance films and the 80s films locked away?

Let's see what Disney bring to the table but I wouldn't mind seeing other Bluth films including Land Before Time on Blu-Ray! I thought they would never be released with all the old controversy and the way he flamed out.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

Yep, much like Icabod & Mr. Toad, Fun and Fancy Free consists of two stories which make up half and half of the film, whereas Make Mine Music and Melody Time have a bunch of smaller segments, much like Fantasia. Fun and Fancy Free is also unique in that the film is "hosted" by Jiminy Cricket, who introduces the segments.

That's interesting to hear that Anastasia is getting a Blu-ray release in Germany. It would be nice if we could get a steady flow of the non-Diamond Renaissance films released, although I would still want them to take their time and not throw out bare-bones releases. From what others have said, Fantasia 2000 looks like it was sourced straight from the original digital CAPS files, without additional restoration, so it might be safe to assume that the other CAPS films could be done this way too. Although they did say they had to do some touch-up to Beauty and the Beast, as the artwork had "waterspots" or something, present on the original artwork when scanned, that I guess would show up more in HD than they did in standard.

I just hope that if Disney does decide to start releasing the CAPS films they don't get trigger happy and unleash the whole lot at once! That would either result in really bare releases with little to no additional features and an oversaturation their market and lessening of sales. They could start come kind of release schedule where we get 1 film a month or something, that way it's more of an event.
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

A friend of mine who works in the Disney store managed to show me the release dates of the next set of Diamond Blu Rays .....

..... and no suprises here, it will be The Lady And The Tramp in the Spring of 2012, then Cinderella in the Winter. These will be followed next year by Peter Pan and The Little Mermaid in 2013.

This was all on an official printout from Disney, so I guess they are indeed following the exact line of the Platinums ? So we were all right on here when we were trying to figure out what was coming next :)
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:A friend of mine who works in the Disney store managed to show me the release dates of the next set of Diamond Blu Rays .....
That's cool to hear confirmation on what was speculated. Did the print-out only list Diamond Edition releases? I'm wondering what the next non-Diamond releases will be!

Here in the US, we are STILL waiting for Dumbo! The only updates we've gotten so far is that we can expect it in 2011... :roll:
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

It was only for Diamond....

BUT there is another list for other non-Diamond releases, but his boss came over so he had to shut the folder before I could see, as I wasnt supposed to be looking at it at all :wink:
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

:lol: lol, we sure go to desperate measures around here trying to get advanced word about upcoming releases! It'd be great to find out what was on that second list.

I emailed Lowry Digital after Fantasia/2000 came out, first thanking them for a wonderful restoration, and second, asking what future titles we could except (I tried to ask as innocently as possible). I actually got a response, which I was surprised about, but the lady said she wasn't able to share details on other projects they are working on. :P
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

I'm hoping for Hunchback later this year. I'm also thinking Winnie The Pooh (1977) might get a new release with the new movie.

And hopefully Dumbo sometime this year.

It's also Atlantis' 10th anniversary, but don't think that will be re-released now, maybe in another 5 years.
monorail91
Gold Classic Collection

Post by monorail91 »

We definitely need a Hunchback Diamond Edition, or at least a 2-disc special edition. It deserves that much attention!
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

It's probably not the most appropriate thread to post this, but since I couldn't find one more suitable:
In 2010, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment released two of the top 10 best-selling home entertainment titles (Toy Story 3 and Alice in Wonderland) and four of the top 10 best-selling Blu-ray titles (Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story 3, Alice in Wonderland, A Christmas Carol). Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue, released in September, was the year’s No. 1 direct-to-video title.

Source: 2010 Year in Review of The Walt Disney Company
http://corporate.disney.go.com/investor ... loads.html
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
KubrickFan
Anniversary Edition

Post by KubrickFan »

Sotiris wrote:It's probably not the most appropriate thread to post this, but since I couldn't find one more suitable:
In 2010, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment released two of the top 10 best-selling home entertainment titles (Toy Story 3 and Alice in Wonderland) and four of the top 10 best-selling Blu-ray titles (Beauty and the Beast, Toy Story 3, Alice in Wonderland, A Christmas Carol). Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue, released in September, was the year’s No. 1 direct-to-video title.

Source: 2010 Year in Review of The Walt Disney Company
http://corporate.disney.go.com/investor ... loads.html
Well, at least we know that they're selling well, so bring the rest on, Disney.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Perhaps now that Disney knows their product is selling well they'll start releasing more non-diamond titles on blu. 2010 was so boring with releases, but I guess I shouldn't really complain when in 2011 we're getting Alice, Bambi, Tangled, Dumbo, The Incredibles, Fox and the Hound, and The Lion King all on blu. Still I wouldn't mind 2 or so more, just as long as none of them get rushed like the Gold Collection line.
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

And in another edition of OOP Disney titles,

6th March 2011
Atlantis Collector's Edition
Cinderella Platinum Edition
Cinderella Twist in Time
Peter Pan and Tinker Bell Collection
Oliver & Company Special Edition
Pooh's Heffalump Movie

Now the entire Pooh series has been slowly going OOP so that's no surprise. However what is dubious is the Cinderella and Peter Pan entries. Haven't they been OOP for years? Not sure what that's about at all. Makes no sense.

Last year Amazon ran OOS of Atlantis: CE around springtime and never restocked so that's another one a year late in coming.

But, the standout entry then is none other than OLIVER & COMPANY!

A bit weird considering it is only 24 years old next year and it was reissued in 2009 so it would only be three years...unless they are doing it more advance than usual, which could be a good thing, more time and to actually build up demand as I'd bet there are a lot of these still stocked.

Bad because where the fudge are the Rescuers franchise, Hercules and Hunchback?!?!

edit: WAIT, I may be mistaken. Special Edition was the old release? But I thought that went OOP 2 years ago? Pretty retarded update then.
tlc38tlc38
Special Edition

Post by tlc38tlc38 »

Oliver & Company going OOP doesn't really surprise me. I actually was anticipating it along with The Black Cauldron and Great Mouse Detective to go OOP and be released on Blu sometime soon since these were the last 3 DACs that got DVD only releases. Alice WAS one of these but a year later it came out on Blu.
Walmart: the perfect place to shop for a headache at a discount price.
pick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pick »

Can anybody tell me if Snow White's still being sold with slipcover? I wanna but it from Amazon before it goes back to the vault, but I'm afraid I may not get the slip... I already have the Brazilian edition, I want the US one mostly for the packing. Thanks.
-------------------------------------------------------
"Just Make a Wish, and do as dreamers do...
and all your Wishes will come True..."
WonderlandFever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WonderlandFever »

I have seen it with the slipcover and some stores without, probably based on how fast they moved, at least that's how it usually was before, the later ones didn't come out with slipcovers.
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

BK wrote:And in another edition of OOP Disney titles,

6th March 2011
Atlantis Collector's Edition
Cinderella Platinum Edition
Cinderella Twist in Time
Peter Pan and Tinker Bell Collection
Oliver & Company Special Edition
Pooh's Heffalump Movie[/b]
Is there a way to confirm that Atlantis and Oliver & Company have officially gone OOP? I checked http://dvdlist.kazart.com/DVDList2.php for both titles and it is still listing them as "out" rather than "out of print."
BK
Gold Classic Collection

Post by BK »

There's a poll up at Blu-Ray.com which is rather poor to be honest.

At least it shows Aladdin is in high demand, but the reasoning behind the choices shows a lack of knowledge on Disney's release schedule.

Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Jungle Book etc all are guaranteed releases already so why include them if "Disney researches frequent the boards". Poor showing for Pocahontas but nice interest in Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, Mulan and Hercules.

Anyone know if "Ernest Riser" is on these boards? Seems a tad arrogant. Robin Hood went OOP and will get a release soon so "bottom of the barrel" is wildly off-base but he seems to think he knows everything.