Disney Princess Collection DVDs Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

I think Ariel looks so beautiful on the "Princess Stories" cover! I love the cover art for both "Stories" and "Sing-a-long", the two that I will be buying :) I can't wait till we are confirmed the song list for the Princess Sing-along! I think it's great that it will have Karaoke because I always love to sing "princess" songs, and it will be so great to be able to sing with just your own voice but still hear all the lovely background music :)
The three songs that I'm absolutly hoping will be on the dvd, are "Part of Your World" and "A Whole New World", and "Something There".
Image Image
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

THe only thing that seems really interesting is this new musical number and the "new" Belle and Cinderella cartoons. I'm also confused as to why they added Mulan as a Disney Princess. I think Pocahontas was some sort of Indian Princess since she was the chief's daughter, so kind of like Bush's daughters (first daughters?). A renaming of "Disney Heroines" would seem more fitting. That way they could add more like Kida, Jane, etc.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ÂşoÂş DVDs </a>
LovelyBelle

Post by LovelyBelle »

Kram Nebuer wrote:THe only thing that seems really interesting is this new musical number and the "new" Belle and Cinderella cartoons. I'm also confused as to why they added Mulan as a Disney Princess. I think Pocahontas was some sort of Indian Princess since she was the chief's daughter, so kind of like Bush's daughters (first daughters?). A renaming of "Disney Heroines" would seem more fitting. That way they could add more like Kida, Jane, etc.
But Disney Princess sounds better... and I think the "princesses" are mainly those whose movies were most popular. Tarzan and especially Atlantis weren't really big hits.
Sully
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sully »

Pocahontas definitely qualifies as a Princess (different culture, same rank), but Mulan is a real mystery.

Who wants to bet that in Mulan 2, her guy is actually related to the royalty and gets the rank of Prince and thereby accords Mulan with Princess?
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

You really can't be too picky about the whole Princess collection, considering that all it is is a market scheme to sell more merchandise. Walking into your nearest Disney store, and you'll discover that not only has Mulan been inducted into the princess league, but also Tinker Bell and Alice. Consider the Disney Princess Collection CD Volume 2 (the green one). Meg's song is included, as well as Mulan's "Reflection", and Maid Marian even appears to be a princess. Not to mention Nala whom I'm assuming is generally left out of the whole princess on account of her less than human form.

And as for the person who brought up the black complaint, shouldn't we at least be content that Princess Jasmine, albeit an Arab -- sworn enemy of the American alliance, is still included in the main six? Now there's political correct-ness if you ever did see it. :wink:
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Sully wrote:Pocahontas definitely qualifies as a Princess (different culture, same rank), but Mulan is a real mystery.

Who wants to bet that in Mulan 2, her guy is actually related to the royalty and gets the rank of Prince and thereby accords Mulan with Princess?
My thoughts exactly. She's not a princess... yet. :roll:

Renata, I agree, Tink and Alice should definitely be marketed, but not as princesses! I honestly think this who princess merchandising frenzy is to blame for the death of the Disney Stores! It may be successful in and of itself, but you can't simply ignore all demographics except elementary-aged girls. And that's exactly who these DVDs are churned out for, so they hold no value for me. Definitely a non-purchase for me. Not even a rental.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

Actually, whoever dismissed her idea and want of a "black princess" is immature. It's not political correctness, it's wanting someone from her demographic. Which brings me to an idea. You know, in almost every culture, there's some ancient version of the Cinderella story. When I was small, there was this piece of children's literature, an award-winning picture book about an Africa version of the story. It was very good, even better than the European version, which is why I think it got so many accolades. Anyway, that would make for a great Disney movie! Writers should start pitching it to Disney. :lol: Anyway, Princess Kida is arguably black, however there's two criteria for being a Disney Princess: 1.) ability to capture the heart's of little girls and 2.) her movie's financial success. Thus, they have to exclude Princess Kida and Princess Eilonwy. We sort of throw out Nala all together because she was really a background character and she isn't exactly glamorous. Pocahontas has been the seventh "player" for some time now, but she's usually missing in action in group photos. As for Mulan, I think her current rank could link her to the royal family and while she may not be an actual royal, she could have the title of Princess of China, which just means she's very important.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

We've had a black Cinderella:

:wink:

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Son of the Morning
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Son of the Morning »

I think I need a lobotomy after looking over this topic. :o
LovelyBelle

Post by LovelyBelle »

pinkrenata wrote:Walking into your nearest Disney store, and you'll discover that not only has Mulan been inducted into the princess league, but also Tinker Bell and Alice.
I've noticed that, and was very surprised; since Tinker Bell is a fairy and Alice is a little girl.. they don't seem to have much in common with the "real" Princesses. I don't even think their movies were that popular. But in the "Happily Ever After" princess storybook, there is a story with Alice. :roll: I think she's also included in the international version of the Disney Princess magazine.
I think it would be interesting if someday, Meg and Esmeralda were considered princesses as well.
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

LovelyBelle wrote:
pinkrenata wrote:Walking into your nearest Disney store, and you'll discover that not only has Mulan been inducted into the princess league, but also Tinker Bell and Alice.
I've noticed that, and was very surprised; since Tinker Bell is a fairy and Alice is a little girl.. they don't seem to have much in common with the "real" Princesses. I don't even think their movies were that popular. But in the "Happily Ever After" princess storybook, there is a story with Alice. :roll: I think she's also included in the international version of the Disney Princess magazine.
I think it would be interesting if someday, Meg and Esmeralda were considered princesses as well.
Esmeralda is in one of the Disney Princess books on the Disney Store webpage.

All I can say now is...
LovelyBelle

Post by LovelyBelle »

toonaspie wrote: Esmeralda is in one of the Disney Princess books on the Disney Store webpage.

All I can say now is...
Ack, you're right! I totally forgot! Silly me, especially since I own that exact book. >_<
adbs18

Post by adbs18 »

Technically, isn't Maid Marian a princess? Isn't her father the King of Sherwood Forest? I guess Disney has some work to do in order to fit her into the mix. We need to have an animal included in the PC mixture, or PETA will sue!
pinkrenata
Anniversary Edition

Post by pinkrenata »

adbs18 wrote:Technically, isn't Maid Marian a princess? Isn't her father the King of Sherwood Forest?
I believe King Richard is her uncle or something. And then, naturally, as she marries the 'Prince of Thieves', there's some sort of royalty going on there. In any case, I'm sure she has just as much right to the throne as Mulan or Alice.
WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

pinkrenata wrote:
adbs18 wrote:Technically, isn't Maid Marian a princess? Isn't her father the King of Sherwood Forest?
I believe King Richard is her uncle or something. And then, naturally, as she marries the 'Prince of Thieves', there's some sort of royalty going on there. In any case, I'm sure she has just as much right to the throne as Mulan or Alice.
I doubt that shell be considered a Disney princess cuz she's an animal. Does anyone remember that girl from the Black Cauldron who was actually a princess. I doubt theyll use her also because the film isnt recognizable with kids. I think the same goes for Meg and Princess Kida
Mermaid Kelly
Anniversary Edition

Post by Mermaid Kelly »

All three of the new Princess dvd's are "volume 1" (well Sing-along doesn't actually say it, but there is a #1 in the top right corner). Does this mean that we'll be getting more princess dvds? :) I hope so! I would LOVE more stories and sing-along songs! :D
Image Image
Leonia
Special Edition

Post by Leonia »

Sully wrote:Pocahontas definitely qualifies as a Princess (different culture, same rank), but Mulan is a real mystery.

Mulan was never a princess to begin with. Mulan as a "princess" is just a marketing ploy from Disney. (One that I especially dislike--and before any of you guys start, I already know Disney isn't making me buy any of their Princess merchandise.)

BTW, the highest Shang could ever reach to royalty is if he ever gets adopted by the Emperor. (Chances of that happening are slim to none.)
Sully
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sully »

Leonia wrote:BTW, the highest Shang could ever reach to royalty is if he ever gets adopted by the Emperor. (Chances of that happening are slim to none.)
Yeah, or about the same as a scullery maid marrying a prince, a mermaid getting legs, or a wooden puppet becoming a real boy. :lol:
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

But isn't Mulan based on an already pre-existing legend, or maybe even a semi-true story?

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Leonia
Special Edition

Post by Leonia »

awallaceunc wrote:But isn't Mulan based on an already pre-existing legend, or maybe even a semi-true story?

-Aaron
It's a well-known and highly-regarded poem in China, and some historians believe Mulan may have actually existed in real life. Here's a link where you can read the English translation of the original poem.