Tangled (aka Rapunzel) Discussion - Part III

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
storktimus

Post by storktimus »

skyler888 wrote:can everyone stop quoting and re-posting pictures that someone already posted.

I don't think we all want scroll through a bunch of repeats.

Not to whine, it's just an annoyance :P
Sorry, won't happen again. :oops: Forgive me, I'm still a bit new, hehe.
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

stitchje1981 wrote:
janesjubilee wrote: The actors that played Tiana and Naveen got to see PatF earlier inorder for meet and greets. It's only the actors that get to see the movie inorder to get their character right. They're not allowed to tape it because I think it might be in a room backstage or something, and the actual Disney company is really strict under their own roofs. When I saw PatF at the Walt Disney Studios last year, ALL the cameras and cellphones were taken away before entering the theater.
Plus, the Rapunzel and Flynn actors probably saw the rough version, so they didn't see the final film.
Oh come on and that solves it ( take the cellphones and camera's away?)
regular people are not allowed to tape it also and still it happens, there are a million ways to tape a movie in the cinema's!!!!
I also got to see TPATF alos before it came out in Europe, thanks to other people that taped it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People even can get through the airport without going passing the security but taping in the movies is impossible
hahahahahahaha
Right, you keep telling yourself that !!!!

Oh and now it's not the film anymore but the rough versions????
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that rough versions come out of the studios in burbank that anybody else can see apart from the animators, directors or all the people who worked on the film .... And surely no people in theme parks!!!

But as I said you keep telling yourself that!

( I'm not even gonna discuss this anymore, it gets sillier by the minute 8) )
Okay. I've come to set the record straight. I'm not sure how or why you seem so incredibly sure of yourself, stitchje1981, but I want to explain the way things work here at Walt Disney World.

I'm currently on the College Program working in Merchandise at Hollywood Studios, and an extremely good friend of mine happens to be "friends with" Rapunzel.

First, it doesn't seem as if you quite understand the importance Disney places on face characters. Her trainers told her that animation directors had a part in deciding who was going to be cast to play the characters. The face characters in the parks are, after all, an extension of the characters they spent years creating, and so of course they want the portrayal of those characters to be spot-on, and given the okay by the important people over in Burbank.

As for seeing the film, as someone already mentioned, last year for Tiana and Naveen, they did indeed get to see the entire finished movie before they went out into the parks, and before it was released to theaters.

This time around, since the film has only been finished now for a week or so, the people cast as Rapunzel and Flynn did NOT get to see the ENTIRE finished film, but instead got to see around 70-80% of the ROUGH CUT of the film. They saw all the song scenes with the exception of Mother Gothel's "Mother Knows Best", they saw the majority of the middle of the film, and they saw the key lantern scene. They did not get to see the ending, or anything else after "I See the Lights."

Now, my friend is far from an animation buff, and so she said she didn't really understand why some of what they saw were just black and white drawings, and for some of the movie the characters looked like "robots". Obviously she was shown storyboards and rough animation.

EDIT: I should add that they didn't watch this in any impressive theater or anything. They watched it in a small classroom setting with a small tv on one of those wheely cart things. It's just a small group... taping it would be risking their job.

So, to settle the score, face characters do indeed to get special treatment. While they didn't get to see the movie in it's entirety this time around, that is the standard. They try to show as much as they can. After all, while it would be easy enough to say things like "ohhh I like your hair" like you said before, they want to have the best possible portrayal of these characters as they possibly can. Now stop arguing about this, and especially stop acting as if you know how things work behind the scenes.

And now for the grand finale, and picture of my good friend Rapunzel. It was her first day in Epcot today!!! :D :D :D (Sorry for the bad quality)

Jackoleen
In The Vaults

Thanks for the new pictures, etc.

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

First of all, I'd like to thank those of you who posted new "Tangled" park and merchandise photos. It's cool to be able to see new "Tangled" images.

Secondly, I'd like to say that I personally believe that old Uncle Walt would really be disheartened by your unwillingness to accept any deviations from the Almighty Message Posting Norm (Ie: Different salutations, etc.) I think that all of us know by now that Walt didn't become famous, or successful, by accepting the status quo, resting upon his laurels, or trying ALL of the same methods...time and time...and time again...

I am a sturdy enough individual to admit that people from OTHER sites have given me a bad time about my writing style. If there's some sort of verbal Stalinist/ Maoist (Read: "Conformist", 'cause Stalin and Mao actually send me...OOPS, I did it again!) "uniform" that we're all supposed to wear, please let me know, and I'll wear said uniform like a Mickey Mouse- emblazened nun's habit (Wait. I'll not be forgetting the mouse ears).

Thirdly, I'd like to discuss the subject of...SEX! :lol: Well, actually, since many of the people who post here seem to like to pretend that they're Victorians, I'd like to ask exactly WHICH rating this site's conversations ought to conform to. As soon as I am informed about the rating of this site, though, the tables may turn, should I find "inappropriate" wording, etc. :lol: After all, "rules are rules," ya' know!

I think that the most ironic aspect of this entire SNAFU is the fact that many, if not ALL of The Disney Company's movies are dripping with innuendo (Sometimes the innuendo is actually fairly inappropriate for children, even though it's enjoyable for adults)...and with plots which are sex-centric...yes...think about "Cinderella" and "Sleeping Beauty"...

Oh, well, Viva la Revolution! I am NEVER tame, but I can BEHAVE as though I am tame, so just say the word...

Thank you in advance for your replies.
:idea:
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
SmartAleck25
Special Edition

Post by SmartAleck25 »

They had a Tangled sneak peek as a commercial break while I was watching the So Random! Halloween Special, and I liked what I saw. I think there is a rather heavy sense of slapstick, but most of it was funny, and their adventure looks really exciting. I think the shot of Gothel running to the tower was pretty epic. Unfortunately, most of the material I saw was already released, so there wasn't really anything new.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Very well said, SWillie!. That was what I presumed happened in Disney parks, thanks for confirming this.

And your friend looks like a wonderful friend of Rapunzel ! Very very pretty :)
pap64
Platinum Edition

Re: Thanks for the new pictures, etc.

Post by pap64 »

Jackoleen wrote:Dear Disney Enthusiasts,

First of all, I'd like to thank those of you who posted new "Tangled" park and merchandise photos. It's cool to be able to see new "Tangled" images.

Secondly, I'd like to say that I personally believe that old Uncle Walt would really be disheartened by your unwillingness to accept any deviations from the Almighty Message Posting Norm (Ie: Different salutations, etc.) I think that all of us know by now that Walt didn't become famous, or successful, by accepting the status quo, resting upon his laurels, or trying ALL of the same methods...time and time...and time again...

I am a sturdy enough individual to admit that people from OTHER sites have given me a bad time about my writing style. If there's some sort of verbal Stalinist/ Maoist (Read: "Conformist", 'cause Stalin and Mao actually send me...OOPS, I did it again!) "uniform" that we're all supposed to wear, please let me know, and I'll wear said uniform like a Mickey Mouse- emblazened nun's habit (Wait. I'll not be forgetting the mouse ears).

Thirdly, I'd like to discuss the subject of...SEX! :lol: Well, actually, since many of the people who post here seem to like to pretend that they're Victorians, I'd like to ask exactly WHICH rating this site's conversations ought to conform to. As soon as I am informed about the rating of this site, though, the tables may turn, should I find "inappropriate" wording, etc. :lol: After all, "rules are rules," ya' know!

I think that the most ironic aspect of this entire SNAFU is the fact that many, if not ALL of The Disney Company's movies are dripping with innuendo (Sometimes the innuendo is actually fairly inappropriate for children, even though it's enjoyable for adults)...and with plots which are sex-centric...yes...think about "Cinderella" and "Sleeping Beauty"...

Oh, well, Viva la Revolution! I am NEVER tame, but I can BEHAVE as though I am tame, so just say the word...

:idea:
This is the wrong thread to make a statement about how you should behave and make any accusations towards the site. I recall only a few saying that they were putt off by how you write, so it's unfair to label everyone despite not having any issues with how you write.

Second, this is an off-topic post. If you really wanted to explain why you write in that manner we have an off-topic forum where you can discuss anything you want. This thread is about Tangled, and up until that point that was the discussion. Sure, every thread gets derailed at least one, but usually it stays focused on the topic. This, however, is not related to Tangled and in the future, look up the off-topic forums to bring said discussion.

Third, if you really want to know why people are putt off by your writing style, let me elaborate. You see, your writing style is a lot like a letter being written, complete with the formal addresses and talking in a semi-objective manner, almost as if you were professional addressing someone without expressing a lot of emotion. That's fine and good for a professional letter, but considering this is a formal discussion thread it does come off as being weird for some.

To elaborate further, it's been known that spammers and bots often appear in a very courteous manner in order to gain the trust of the members. It often looks to be very robotic and hence why people get suspicious. Again, not saying that you ARE a spammer or a robot, but that your writing style that upset those that don't know you.

Finally, stop the accusations. It's making yourself look very arrogant. There are people here that have been members for YEARS, including the creators of this site and forum. They know how to run it and they know what's right and wrong and will often address it right away. So coming in here in an OFF TOPIC thread and start making claims about how you feel the site is too strict blah blah blah is creating a very bad impression, and considering some people are already bothered by you this is just making things worse.

We may be crazy, opinionated, snarky and silly, but we can be great people if we are treated right. If you want to fit in with this community be respectful, follows the rules and don't pick fights, even if someone else started it and it bothers you. For that sort of thing we have the moderators who will address any issue. They want the best for all of us so if you calm down things will work out for it.

For everyone else, my apologies, but I thought this needed to be addressed.
ImageImageImageImage

Jackoleen
In The Vaults

Well...okay, but I still want to know...

Post by Jackoleen »

Dear Disney Enthusiasts (Especially pap64),

Well, okay, but I STILL wish to know which rating the discussions must conform to, so I will indeed take that matter to the Misc. board.

To pseudo-quote you, pap64, I may be formal, eccentric, opinionated, determined, analytical, slightly braggy (?), impossible, etc., but I'm usually cool with almost anything if I'm treated well.

To be fair, I will agree that the controversy about my message (and my replies) sort of hijacked a totally cool "Tangled" discussion. All of the trouble started because I elaborated upon a message which stated that Flynn Rider's description of the pub smells sounded sexy to me...:lol: Imagine THAT! :lol:

I realize that I sort of seemed to accuse everybody of hating me, but it seemed as though I was being ganged up on...

Anyway, I am certain that I'll enjoy the latest "Tangled" news, especially if it features more of Flynn's cool phrases!

8)
Farewell For Now,
Jackoleen

-------------------------------

I wish to be seduced in a royal Asian locale!
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Re: Well...okay, but I still want to know...

Post by singerguy04 »

Jackoleen wrote:
Well, okay, but I STILL wish to know which rating the discussions must conform to, so I will indeed take that matter to the Misc. board.
I think it was stated in a post already that we try to keep things PG to PG-13 here, mostly since people of varying ages do read this forum.

Being a some-what older member, I'm not really offended by the sexual posts as much as I think that they're just in the wrong thread. If you search for them, there have been threads made for "crushes on disney characters" and so on where such statements would be considered fine. Here in the Tangled thread it's not relevant or appropriate.

Heaven knows that some convo's aren't always appropriate, but don't get too offended if someone calls you out on it. :)

~~~ Back on Topic~~~

Thank you for elaborating further SWillie! I was almost begining to feel like people didn't really take my post credibly. lol
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

singerguy04 wrote:Thank you for elaborating further SWillie! I was almost begining to feel like people didn't really take my post credibly. lol
No problem! Trust me, I was really jealous at first when I heard she would be seeing so much of the film... so when I started asking questions about stuff I, as a Disney geek/animation nerd, was wondering about, it became apparent to me that it's because of who the people are that get cast that makes it okay to show them the movie and not have to worry about leaks of information and stuff like that. They just don't care about stuff like that.

For example, I asked her if it has more of a comedy feel or more of a classic/romantic feel, it was more of a "ummm... I don't know... I mean, it was really funny at some parts... but then I cried at the lantern scene... I don't really know what you mean." They just don't watch the movie for the same reasons a lot of us would. They're much more interested in the learning the mannerisms of the characters. I asked her if she remembered any of the songs real well, and she said "they were all really good, but I wasn't really listening to the lyrics or anything... I was just watching how Rapunzel moved and what her face was doing."

So anyways, I think it's because of that reason why they've decided it's worth it to risk a little bit of information leak about the movie itself in exchange for having well trained face characters.
skyler888
Gold Classic Collection

Post by skyler888 »

does anyone know if the preview shown during Sonny with a Chance is online yet?
Fairytales
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Fairytales »

Jackoleen wrote:Dear Disney Enthusiasts (Especially pap64),

8)
Can you PLEASE stop this formal adressing.
It's getting seriously so annoying.
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

Fairytales wrote:
Jackoleen wrote:Dear Disney Enthusiasts (Especially pap64),

8)
Can you PLEASE stop this formal adressing.
It's getting seriously so annoying.
Why don't you just ignore it? It's obvious by now that he/she is always going to have them, so skip them and read the rest of their post or completely skip their posts. It's not as if you HAVE to read it. :roll: If anything is annoying it's how this "You should learn how to type in a informal forum" discussion keeps being brought up. In my opinion it's hypocritical to condemn a member for writing posts formally because we are informal. You should be able to write whatever way you like.

anyway....
SWillie wrote:For example, I asked her if it has more of a comedy feel or more of a classic/romantic feel, it was more of a "ummm... I don't know... I mean, it was really funny at some parts... but then I cried at the lantern scene... I don't really know what you mean." They just don't watch the movie for the same reasons a lot of us would. They're much more interested in the learning the mannerisms of the characters. I asked her if she remembered any of the songs real well, and she said "they were all really good, but I wasn't really listening to the lyrics or anything... I was just watching how Rapunzel moved and what her face was doing."
As an person with a theatre degree I can understand how she probably didn't catch much of the movie. She was probably only allowed to see it once and probably had to try to absorb as much as possible in that one viewing. That being said, the lantern scene must be awesome! She had to have been incredibly distracted, but was still able to draw some emotion during that scene. I can't wait to see it for myself!
phan258
Gold Classic Collection

Post by phan258 »

singerguy04 wrote:
SWillie wrote:For example, I asked her if it has more of a comedy feel or more of a classic/romantic feel, it was more of a "ummm... I don't know... I mean, it was really funny at some parts... but then I cried at the lantern scene... I don't really know what you mean." They just don't watch the movie for the same reasons a lot of us would. They're much more interested in the learning the mannerisms of the characters. I asked her if she remembered any of the songs real well, and she said "they were all really good, but I wasn't really listening to the lyrics or anything... I was just watching how Rapunzel moved and what her face was doing."
That being said, the lantern scene must be awesome! She had to have been incredibly distracted, but was still able to draw some emotion during that scene. I can't wait to see it for myself!

I was also going to say that the lantern scene must be really amazing if a rough cut was enough to make this girl cry! The song must be absolutely gorgeous. Several other reviewers have mentioned having a strong emotional response/"happy tears" as well if I recall correctly. I just get more excited for this movie every day! :)
DancingCrab
Anniversary Edition

Post by DancingCrab »

According to a friend in L.A. Disney is already starting advanced screenings of the finished film as of this Thursday, as he has a ticket.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Thanks for the new pictures, etc.

Post by Disney Duster »

Jackoleen, you will find the places to talk about the kinds of things you want. You will be so, so happy when you find the places where people really like hearing about those kinds of things.

I plan on making a thread that shows people some videos I found of Disney characters that deals with funny, but mature things, and I will say "Warning, for 18 and older" in the title. That's an example of what to do and where to posts certain things.

But I would think you must be tired of opening your messages with the same formal "Dear Disney Enthusiasts" and "Thank you in advance for your replies". I would think you would rather be more care free. I will like your posts the same and take them as seriously without those things. In fact, I would actually like them more without those things, because I would feel I was talking to you, and not just reading an essay, lol.

It's funny you said we were acting like Victorians, because you are acting so formal with your language. You see, you thought we were formal acting and that put you off, but your formal acting also made us a little uncomfortable.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Escapay

Administrator Luke Bonanno

UltimateDisney.com/DVDizzy.com Forum

19 October 2010

<center>Reply to Disney Duster about Writing Posts as Essays</center>

If Jackoleen were writing an essay, it would look like this. And it would be a pain in the ass to type a heading over and over again, ensure that the title covers what the post is about, and figure out how to work a thesis into the first paragraph. For the sake of keep up this "post as an essay" charade, I'll just say my thesis is this: writing this post as an essay sucks.

It sucks because it is much more formal than any "Dear Person" letter. Quite simply because at least with Jackoleen, I can skip reading the formality of "Dear Disney Enthusiasts" (Jackoleen) at the beginning and the end and the body of her post is still a post. With an essay, you have to ensure that each paragraph is the right length, that it covers sufficient detail, and that it includes citations.

In addition, writing as an essay also ruins the option of using full quotations and just commenting after it. You'll have to work it into the body of your paper, and thus, the lack of a quote box doesn't bring notice to the actual quote. For example, I'm not entirely sure a thread with "Warning, for 18 and older" (Disney Duster) would fly well on the forums, regardless of that warning. Threads have closed that have outwardly stated they were for mature readers. Two examples include "Are you a virgin?" (sotiris2006) and "Mature Readers Only - Homo Classifications" (James).

Finally, on a forum, if we write essays, who will grade them? I would write more, but writing this post as an essay is getting tiresome. So I'll chance getting a C- on this and just end here.

<center>Works Cited</center>

Duster, Disney. "Warning, for 18 and older." UltimateDisney.com Accessed October 19 2010

Jackoleen. "Dear Disney Enthusiasts." UltimateDisney.com Accessed October 19 2010

James. "Mature Readers Only - Homo Classifications." UltimateDisney.com Accessed October 19 2010

sotiris2006. "Are you a virgin?" UltimateDisney.com Accessed October 19 2010
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

What's this? And none of MY works are cited? Fine, be that way... :x
ImageImageImageImage

PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

We're writing essays now?

This thread sure got Tangled....

:)
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

I rarely post on here due to the fact that I have no time, but I just felt the need to comment and say that this thread got scary. Fast.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

nomad2010 wrote:I rarely post on here due to the fact that I have no time, but I just felt the need to comment and say that this thread got scary. Fast.
At least we're not talking about foot fetishes and chopping off male parts anymore. :shifty: