Disney making "Magic Kingdom" movie

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disneyphile
Special Edition

Disney making "Magic Kingdom" movie

Post by Disneyphile »

Sure, every kid has fantasized about what it would be like to be locked in the Magic Kingdom overnight, left to roam Cinderella's castle or ride Splash Mountain as many times as you like, or finally get over your petrifying fear of Pluto. But leave it to Disney to put too fine a point on things and turn that exact, specific fantasy into a mass-marketed movie with the widest possible appeal. According to Variety, the studio is figuring that once they've made movies off the Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion rides, a movie about the entire park is the only possible follow-up.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Disney-M ... 20920.html
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

I was hoping this would lead to an article about Disney adapting Cory Doctorow's Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom into a feature film. Alas, no...

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Dream Huntress
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Dream Huntress »

Magic Kingdom movie, aka desperately looking for a new franchise.

Seriously though, if they want to use all their characters just do a Kingdom Hearts movie already.

Weren't there some light novels about some kids and their weird adventures in Disneyland? I can't remember the name of those.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

This is not going to be good me thinks.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Apparently there was a Magic Kingdom animated TV series tossed around in development at one point, where some kids would live in their own Disneyland-style park high up in the clouds. But anyway...

:brick:

...which means no. A resounding one at that. :roll:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

When Disney runs out of ideas....
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Disney making "Magic Kingdom" movie

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disneyphile wrote:
Sure, every kid has fantasized about what it would be like to be locked in the Magic Kingdom overnight, left to roam Cinderella's castle or ride Splash Mountain as many times as you like, or finally get over your petrifying fear of Pluto. But leave it to Disney to put too fine a point on things and turn that exact, specific fantasy into a mass-marketed movie with the widest possible appeal. According to Variety, the studio is figuring that once they've made movies off the Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion rides, a movie about the entire park is the only possible follow-up.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Disney-M ... 20920.html
This sounds like "The Kingdom Keepers" series. A movie has been tossed around for a long time now, and if they're only finally making it, I am incredibly excited (even though it will most likely be shelved)!

Just check out "Kingdom Keepers" sometime.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

When I was a kid, I got these '80's graphic novel reprints of older stories called "Uncle Scrooge Goes to Disneyland" and "Disneyland Birthday Party" that feature Mickey and co. visiting the park and having adventures with famous Disney characters (for example, Daisy visits Wonderland with Alice, Donald and the boys are unknowingly whisked off to another planet while exploring Tomorrowland, Goofy has an adventure in Frontierland with Lil' Davy, a kid version of Davy Crockett). Loved them and I still have them, though they're well read, and they're among the first things I've brought up with me to my sister's apartment. I'd be quite happy if a direct to DVD franchise was made inspired by those comics, though, yeah, Kingdom Keepers is what popped into my head. Though, I really know nothing of what the Kingdom Keepers is actually about. I remember it being talked about on the Disney Channel, but I've forgotten since then.

As for the Kingdom Hearts series, I've always wanted to get into it, but I never had the right game platforms. Seems like it would be a bit late now. However, I never loved the idea of Disney characters all living in these different dimensions or whatever. I'm more a fan of the concept we see in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Bonkers, and, heck, even Enchanted, than the kinda weird concept, from what I've heard, that Kingdom Hearts has. Not that I wouldn't love playing the games.
Duckburger
Special Edition

Post by Duckburger »

This is going to be the biggest commercial ever.
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

As someone who has not yet experienced the magic kingdom of disney, can anyone ellaborate what kind of movie to expect?
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

REINIER wrote:As someone who has not yet experienced the magic kingdom of disney, can anyone ellaborate what kind of movie to expect?
rides....LOTS of rides. And pedos in costume suits
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Re: Disney making "Magic Kingdom" movie

Post by disneyboy20022 »

UmbrellaFish wrote:
This sounds like "The Kingdom Keepers" series. A movie has been tossed around for a long time now, and if they're only finally making it, I am incredibly excited (even though it will most likely be shelved)!

Just check out "Kingdom Keepers" sometime.
Yeah I fully Agree... if they are doing something like this. Disney needs to look in front of its own nose and see...Kingdom Keepers which they publish to begin with....

I'm not done with the second book, I havn't had time to read lately with some medical stuff going on, such as now looking on to have Sinus Surger with a cleft lip and palate complicating things :(

Anyway I would love to see a film adaptation of Kingdom Keepers.

If they make a Kingdom Hearts movie I feel it should be done anime style. though i'm much more for a Kingdom Keepers movie than Kingdom Hearts.....don't get me wrong I love Kingdom hearts but a movie...idk it could be butchered up badly and make Super Mario Bros. Movie look like a blockbuster hit :roll:
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

No to a Kingdom Hearts movie. A series would be better.

And this'll turn out to be another "Kids get stranded in a public place" movie. aka, Flopmania. :roll:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

ajmrowland wrote:No to a Kingdom Hearts movie. A series would be better.
KH sucks anyway so it's best off if they don't do anything with at all.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^I love the games, so ill completely ignore that.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

If this will be about kids stranded in Disneyland, no way I'm seeing it! If it's about Disney-characters, well, then I'll have to give it a shot I think. But then they should do a traditionally animated/CGI-film. Live action Mickey Mouse played by someone in a suit? It works in the Disney-parks, it will not work in a movie.

And yes, a Kingdom Hearts movie/series would be much more appreciated!^^
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Why did I just get an image of Macaulay Culkin in my head?
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Sounds similar to Adventures in the Magic Kingdom on the NES but I don't know which park was in the game.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I'm surprised to see so many Negative Nancies here! I can't think of many movie projects for which I would be more personally excited.

In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't read any Kingdom Keepers books, but hope to soon.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

bradhig wrote:Sounds similar to Adventures in the Magic Kingdom on the NES but I don't know which park was in the game.

It says it right the damn title?!
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom