Maleficent (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disneyphile wrote:Angelina Jolie in talks to play Maleficent
Angelina Jolie doesn't make the press rounds often, so when the rare opportunity to speak to her does arise, you make the most of it. We grilled her for details about some of her upcoming projects.

One of the rumored parts that seems exceptionally well-suited for the sultry star is the title role in "Maleficent", a take on the "Sleeping Beauty" story told from the point of view of the slumbering princess' nemesis. Asked whether she might be involved in the film — whose director's chair may eventually be filled by "Alice in Wonderland" auteur Tim Burton — Jolie said she would definitely be interested.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/164338 ... tory.jhtml
I don't think that means she's in talks to be Maleficent... yet.

And I hope never, cause I don't care for her... But in hindsight, wouldn't it be neat if Idina Menzel played her (she probably won't get cast in Wicked)? That's just off the top of my head, though.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

This is the first time I have posted on here in a while as I forgot my password but I finally remembered it haha. So hey everyone! I find it an interesting idea to want to give Maleficent her own film and seeing as how she is the most popular villain atm I think it's a smart move on Disney's part. However I think Angelina Jolie is a terrible choice! She is an alright actress but too commercial and it just wouldn't feel right to see her playing a Disney character. I like Catherine Zeta Jones for the role. She is pretty and seductive and I think would pull it off well. Tilda Swinton and Michelle Phiffer are other options. Maybe even Eva Green?

I wonder if this is succesfull will Disney do other films for villains. Like the Evil Queen, Ursula, Lady Tremaine, Jafar, Gaston, Frollo and Madame Medusa? Haha that be cool. I wonder who they'd cast in those roles........
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Jay wrote:This is the first time I have posted on here in a while as I forgot my password but I finally remembered it haha. So hey everyone!
Welcome back, Jay!
Jay wrote:I like Catherine Zeta Jones for the role. She is pretty and seductive and I think would pull it off well. Tilda Swinton and Michelle Phiffer are other options. Maybe even Eva Green?
I'm sure I said it somewhere in this thread, but I really would love to see Sigourney Weaver tackle the role. But the other choices suggested are great too.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

Yeah Ms weaver would make an awesome Maleficent as well!
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Disneydood wrote:I didn't read the whole topic, but I'm sure I'm not the first to consider Tim casting Helena Bonham as M is pretty much a done deal... even more certain than the fact that Danny Elfman will compose the score, and you could probably bet your life on that.
It doesn't take much to imagine that, but I wonder if Burton would face some opposition trying that. I can't conceive a medium-sized Maleficent film from today's Disney and while Bonham Carter has been Burton's go-to leading lady, she's always been a second fiddle at best, usually supporting the eminently marketable Depp. I feel like the studio would be more comfortable with HBC as one of the good fairies (assuming they're even in such a film) and a bigger name as Maleficent. I'm sure Burton is aware of that too. Will he want to throw his weight around and do otherwise, I don't know.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Jay wrote:I wonder if this is succesfull will Disney do other films for villains. Like the Evil Queen, Ursula, Lady Tremaine, Jafar, Gaston, Frollo and Madame Medusa? Haha that be cool. I wonder who they'd cast in those roles........
Noooooo! Disney needs ORIGINALITY these days. Don't just make retreads of movies you've already done. Create NEW stories. Just my 2¢.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Jay wrote:I wonder if this is succesfull will Disney do other films for villains. Like the Evil Queen, Ursula, Lady Tremaine, Jafar, Gaston, Frollo and Madame Medusa? Haha that be cool. I wonder who they'd cast in those roles........
Noooooo! Disney needs ORIGINALITY these days. Don't just make retreads of movies you've already done. Create NEW stories. Just my 2¢.
I'm sure Disney will think about doing villain movies if this is successful. Not only are they doing this movie but they also released a book on the Evil Queen's past. Plus before Eartha Kitt passed they were doing a movie all about Yzma. So it seeme Disney is interested in making stories all about their villains. I expect, if this movie does well, they'll try a few other villains out. Most likely the Queen and Jafar. Maybe Ursula and perhaps Scar but idk if those 2 would be live action.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

they were doing an Yzma movie? :shock:
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

ajmrowland wrote:they were doing an Yzma movie? :shock:
Yeah they were and the song "Snuff Out the Light" which was cut from Emperor's New Groove was going to start out the movie and I believe it was going to be about her trying to get rid of the sun, her role in Kingdom of the Sun. Haha it would have been awesome. Unfortrnately Ms. Kitt passed so it was dropped. It would have been amazing!!!
kurtadisneyite
Gold Classic Collection

tim burton said "no flick" for now

Post by kurtadisneyite »

...or at least that's what the interview referred to earlier in this thread had posted. Then again, Hollywierd is known for zigs and zags, so perhaps Maleficent's flick will happen in the future.

Marc Davis was Maleficent's chief designer and directing animator. He felt she was more of a stately speechmaker rather than a active character like his Cruella DeVille.
2D isn't Ded yet!
Disney Duster

Maleficent Movie

Post by Disney Duster »

So...anyone else agree...it would be cool, maybe even better than Burton, if...

...Guillermo Del Toro directed this?! :twisted:
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

I hate to say it, but im afraid im kinda against the idea..

I like Maleficent the way she is, Not Tim Burton-ized. I dont really like the idea of HBC playing the role of Maleficent. Her laugh as Bellatrix seemed annoying to me in Harry Potter and i fear she may over do it. :roll:

Who knows? I could be wrong and she may actually make a very good Maleficent. I did like her in Planet of the Apes(Am i the only one that likes the one that Tim Burtin made?? :?) and i was kinda iffy with her in the one Frankenstien movie, but i eventually did like her in that..

But still, the Maleficent that i know and love is from the cartoon Sleeping Beauty.

Guillermo Del Toro would be pretty interesting, he did say his favorite dragon of all time was.. Insert drum roll.. Maleficent! :D I actually read that on a Lord of the Rings wiki when reading about Smaug, the Red-Gold Dragon.. :lol:

Also, No Angelina Jolie! She's a jerk! Get Cate Blanchett instead!! :( :P :D
Last edited by Kraken Guard on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Kraken Guard wrote:I dont really like the idea of HBC playing the role of Maleficent. Her laugh as Bellatrix seemed annoying to me in Harry Potter and i fear she may over do it. :roll:
I think it's because she intentionally camps it up in Harry Potter (at least to me). But she's an amazing actor in loads of other movies (A Room with a View, Lady Jane, Howards End, The Wings of the Dove, Sixty Six, etc.)

Then again, she may camp it up for camp's sake in Maleficent.
Kraken Guard wrote:Who knows? I could be wrong and she may actually make a very good Maleficent. I did like her in Planet of the Apes(Am i the only one that likes the one that Tim Burtin made?? :?)
I like it too. It raises some issues not addressed in the original (namely a stronger possibility of ape/human romance, as well as a more complex caste system among the apes), whilst also providing its own unique take on the concept ("inferior" species suddenly ruling over the "superior" one). It's not Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston, nor is it meant to be (even if Heston has a cameo in the Burton one). Plus, for everything that was *wrong* with the movie, they did score a few things that were *right*. Namely, Tim Roth and his portrayal of Thade. It was absolutely chilling and one of his best roles, IMO.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Kraken Guard
Special Edition

Post by Kraken Guard »

Okay, that makes me feel a little bit better with Planet of the Apes.. If you want a really bad movie, try Battlefield Earth :lol: (Although i like that movie, dont see anything wrong with it :?)

But i still think what i thought before: Im not too sure if i like the idea of Tim Burton making a movie based on Maleficent. I dont want him turning my favoritest character of all time into a Charley and the Chocolate Factory Look-Alike or a large-headed Iracebeth. (From Alice in Wonderland.. Never seen it, but i do know her name thanks to roleplaying)

I like his movies (Sleepy Hollow, Nightmare Before Christmas, Planet of the Apes, some of the Batman movies) but recently, they just seemed to have lost their touch (Charley and the Chocolate Factory, Sweeney Todd) and i dont like the idea of HBC Doing Maleficent because of the laugh and the behavior as Iracebeth. It's fitting for that character, but not Maleficent. But as i said before, i could be wrong and she may make a good Maleficent, i just hope she doesn't over do it..

Worse comes to worse, he could always take stabs at a movie based on the Horned King(Dont really like the idea, but i suppose it would be interesting). He did have something to do with the Black Cauldron after all.. :P

And what was this talk of things in the Black Cauldron that resemble Face-Huggers? John Hurt has had enough of those things as it is! (Twice: Once in Alian, once in Spaceballs) Now we need the Horned King suffering the same fate.. :( :P
Disney Duster

Maleficent Movie

Post by Disney Duster »

I also like Burton's Planet of the Apes, that main villain ape did scare the freak out of me, and the whole film made me fear such things the movie touched on. Did people just not think it was good because they liked the first one too much?

And that Burton Horned King concept art is amazingly awesome, though it would not have fit into the film or what the Horned King is supposed to be like at all.
Deco King
Gold Classic Collection

Is Maleficent the Movie going to happen?

Post by Deco King »

I haven't been on the Ultimate Disney website for quite a while now , I did a brief search just now but couldn't find a dedicated thread to Maleficent - so tell me is Maleficent the Movie going to happen?

There was a lot of talk , about twelve months since , about a Tim Burton directed movie all about the Horned Witch from Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty having her own backstory movie a la Wicked for Elphaba the Wicked witch of The West!

So , come on guys , is there any more news on this planned movie , and is Tim Burton going to direct , who is going to play Maleficent is it going to be Angelina Joile , or Helena Bonham Carter???
To Make Doubly Sure Bring Back Her Heart In This!!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Here's the "official" Maleficent thread- http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

To answer your questions, I don't think there's been any real developments on the film and it may be slowly slipping into development hell.
Deco King
Gold Classic Collection

Is Maleficent The Movie really going to happen???

Post by Deco King »

I just posted this thread separately elewhere on this website : I haven't been on the Ultimate Disney website for quite a while now , I did a brief search just now but couldn't find a dedicated thread to Maleficent - so tell me is Maleficent the Movie going to happen?

There was a lot of talk , about twelve months since , about a Tim Burton directed movie all about the Horned Witch from Walt Disney's Sleeping Beauty having her own backstory movie a la Wicked for Elphaba the Wicked witch of The West!

So , come on guys , is there any more news on this planned movie , and is Tim Burton going to direct , who is going to play Maleficent is it going to be Angelina Joile , or Helena Bonham Carter???
To Make Doubly Sure Bring Back Her Heart In This!!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

This is from Wikipedia (which actual citations!):
On January 19, 2010, it was announced that after Dark Shadows Burton's next project would be a Wicked-style adaption featuring the origin story and the past of the Sleeping Beauty antagonist Maleficent. In an interview with Fandango published February 23, 2010, however, he denied he was directing any upcoming Sleeping Beauty movie.[25] However, on November 23, 2010, in an interview with MTV, Burton confirmed that he was indeed putting together a script for "Maleficent". [26] Burton has also stated that there is a chance he will co-produce with Timur Bekmambetov, who he also co-produced 9 with, the movie Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, which is based on the novel by Seth Grahame-Smith, also author of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:This is from Wikipedia (which actual citations!):
On January 19, 2010, it was announced that after Dark Shadows Burton's next project would be a Wicked-style adaption featuring the origin story and the past of the Sleeping Beauty antagonist Maleficent. In an interview with Fandango published February 23, 2010, however, he denied he was directing any upcoming Sleeping Beauty movie.[25] However, on November 23, 2010, in an interview with MTV, Burton confirmed that he was indeed putting together a script for "Maleficent". [26] Burton has also stated that there is a chance he will co-produce with Timur Bekmambetov, who he also co-produced 9 with, the movie Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, which is based on the novel by Seth Grahame-Smith, also author of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
And from citation numbered 26 (http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/11/23/ti ... ms-family/):
MTV: I spoke to Angelina Jolie recently, and she said she's a huge fan of yours and is anxious to make "Maleficent" with you.

Burton: I'd love to work with her. We're working on a script for that. It's hard to know when that script will be ready. But I'm a huge fan, I'd love to work with her -- so, yeah, that would be a good one.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/